• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

Glorious Day

gee, if we have another year like last year michael warner will be kicking himself for getting nothing out of the club, and all for muck-raking over an old done and dusted issue from over a year ago

i hope they shut him out totally

other clubs too, will probably be wary

• Like 3

So after two days this story turns out to be a bit of a fizzer.

It’s pretty telling that this story only comes out during the quietest time of the year for footy news. The post season footy trip punch-ups are over, so are best and fairest nights ... no training camps have gone wrong, and no practice matches are being playing yet. Nothing but Joe Bloggs is training the house down and he’s the fittest he’s ever been.

They’ve obviously been sitting on this story for a long time, but why wouldn’t they run it in grand final week for maximum ****stirring impact …….. probably because they knew they’d get a strong backlash instead of congratulations. Because it’s got no legs, or very little. It’s not news, it’s gossip. So they’re running it now while it's still got some kind of legs.

Still … this kind of story used to be the [censored] that would get run about Collingwood (and still does). Or Adelaide, or other big clubs. This is confirmation we've hit the top. It’s good to be in the spotlight.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

gee, if we have another year like last year michael warner will be kicking himself for getting nothing out of the club, and all for muck-raking over an old done and dusted issue from over a year ago

i hope they shut him out totally

Warner will do his Herald Sun thing regardless. More concerning is who leaked the emails to him.

• Like 4

Didn’t Darren Burgess say that sometimes players need to push through the pain barrier & train & play through injuries? (Steven May for instance)

Maybe the good Doctor disagreed & Goody with the coaching staff saw fit to listen to  the ‘Fitness Guru’ instead

Edited by Billy
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, faultydet said:

I'm a shotfirer in a coal mine. I've had 2 drug tests this week and sadly passed both of them.

We alcohol test every morning. The blokes who have benders the night before have a well practiced method of turning up late the following day. 

I wouldn't complain if the AFL has testing, although I'm not sure what good it would do. There are not that many 300 tonne trucks in the carpark, and very few 1000 tonne blasts being fired at the G' 

Yep, it’s the “what good would it do” argument that sums it up. I bet the accountants, IT crew and HR managers in head office aren’t subject to the same daily testing regime as you guys in the mine. That’s because there’s a cost to doing it. And it feels pretty heavy handed when everyone knows the risks are minimal - in the mine you’d have a good appreciation for the need for a clear head when going about your work.

The corporate accountant going on an ice bender and turning up to work is much less likely to result in someone getting hurt or killed than if a person whose job it is to blow holes in the terrain did the same.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Dante said:

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't see anywhere that Kate said her position was being challenged, would you like to highlight that part where she does.

Spot on Dante. They Are holding an election because there are more candidates than seats.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Redleg said:

Well there is the clear evidence needed to sack Goody. In order of photos.

He touched/mishandled a player.

He said something funny to a player.

He yelled out to players.

The content of what he yelled out to the players is even more relevant. According to a source, while the words were garbled, they appeared to make some reference to the likely winner of the fourth at Sandown.

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Billy said:

Didn’t Darren Burgess say that sometimes players need to push through the pain barrier & train & play through injuries? (Steven May for instance)

Maybe the good Doctor disagreed & Goody with the coaching staff saw fit to listen to  the ‘Fitness Guru’ instead

There seems to be a bit of confusion around as to timelines, due most likely to media laziness and the amount of past muck thrown all at once. Arain filed an unfair dismissal claim in 2020, with two instances of alleged bullying noted in the media.

The first is an easy one. Goodwin was upset about the arrangements in place for our mass off-season surgeries following the 2018 season. The second I think likely dates back to the previous off-season, soon after Brayshaw's return from concussion. 

(I may have this wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Goodwin-Arain Brayshaw discussion occurred during a pre-season. Also, some of my other speculation is derived from memory - which is always fallible, including when recalling discussions).

In joining the dots, the most plausible explanation of events in my mind is that Brayshaw was citing concussion symptoms to be dismissed from training, and was supported by Arain. Goodwin believed the issue to be psychological, or that Gus was slacking. 

From memory, there was a report at some stage in 2017 that Brayshaw had been cleared of any serious brain issues, but had to find his confidence again (he returned at the end of that year). That seems to be supported by the legal docs. 

Quote: “Why the [censored] would you change the plan when we agreed he could push through his comfort zone?" Goodwin then complains that Brayshaw was recently hanging out with his mates, but then suddenly had symptoms again. 

The 2018 season started without Brayshaw in the team - to the surprise of many - but Gus has himself since acknowledged that he wasn't the best teammate, while Goody has said that Brayshaw's habits weren't up to scratch at the time.

A couple notes: the Gus freeze-out was resolved through an open an honest chat, with Gus going on to finish third in the Brownlow. Also, anger at the MFC from Shaun Smith around Joel seems to have been resolved in the past year or so. 

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Not saying it was right not saying it wasn't, but the clubs performance had improved after his spray and continued when he left i.e. 6 and 3 in the back half of 2020 and then started 2021 on fire

That wasn’t the point. Bartlett picked the exact wrong time to bag the players and the coach. It was a game against the top side with the team playing off a four day break during the AFL “frenzy” period. The timing was shocking. IMO he alienated our most valuable assets - the coach and the players and lessened his stature and authority in their eyes. It was the beginning of the end for him as President and when he took on the coach his position became untenable. I don’t care whether he’s behind this or not but his role in the last year of his reign as president helped undo to a great extent, his many achievements in the first seven years.

Edited by Apocalypse XXXI
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see this pointing anyone involved in a good light. Not the former President, current CEO, current head of the AFL, and our coach. 

But I feel for our coach; he is having articles written about him with the bent of an unprofessional bully that doesn’t know boundaries and shouldn’t be trusted with the careers of young men. 

That is utter nonsense from what I can tell about his leadership and how the players feel about their own actualisation at the club and in the AFL. So to those that are in the ‘faction’ of the leaker - you are not doing anything other than tarnishing the reputation of someone who has struggled and fought for what he has been able to do and those that do it with him and gladly.

No, the MFC was not betraying its standards by not standing him down and moving him on.

So sit there in your shame.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jack7 said:

I would absolutely support mandatory drug testing for staff,why is Gary Pert so opposed to it?

Because some great staff probably would fail that testing, and before doing so would elect to leave football, or at least Melbourne, making the game/club weaker.

• Like 2

A serious question to the many legal professionals who are part of the Demonland community (noting also that Glen Barlett has a background in law): what are the legalities and ramifications of a former member of a committee giving confidential business information obtained during their position of influence to a third-party after their departure from a board, assuming that any whistle-blower statutes don't apply? Also, is it likely that this would be covered in any contractual agreements?  

• Love 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The content of what he yelled out to the players is even more relevant. According to a source, while the words were garbled, they appeared to make some reference to the likely winner of the fourth at Sandown.

They would be frustrated then coz their tip ran second -  LONGTIMEDREAMING

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

“Obviously we’re not talking at the moment … we’ll do it at the appropriate time,” he told 7 News early on Wednesday morning.

“I know where the club stands and what we’re about, so we’ll just keep moving forward.”

Who said this and what is the context?

21 minutes ago, Jack7 said:

I would absolutely support mandatory drug testing for staff,why is Gary Pert so opposed to it?

I used to take any drugs I could get my hands on, and have always been fantastic at my job - which has mostly revolved around me at my own computer and nothing to do with heavy machinery and the public. Why should it be of any remote concern what people do in their private lives if it doesn't impact their workplace performance? 

Also, while I don't indulge so much nowadays, I would leave any workplace in an instant if they suggested drug-testing in a context that doesn't concern the safety of other people. Pissing in a cup is a massive invasion of privacy for even those who have never touched an illicit substance in their lives. Pert was spot-on in his assessment. 

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Yep, it’s the “what good would it do” argument that sums it up. I bet the accountants, IT crew and HR managers in head office aren’t subject to the same daily testing regime as you guys in the mine. That’s because there’s a cost to doing it. And it feels pretty heavy handed when everyone knows the risks are minimal - in the mine you’d have a good appreciation for the need for a clear head when going about your work.

The corporate accountant going on an ice bender and turning up to work is much less likely to result in someone getting hurt or killed than if a person whose job it is to blow holes in the terrain did the same.

Every single person who enters the mine is subject to daily alcohol testing, and the same random drug tests as every other worker. That's the I.T guys, the bean counters as well as every contractor regardless of task.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse XXXI said:

So the Age sent a reporter to Casey Fields and she reported on this but failed to report on the training session of the reigning premiership team that took place in front of her own very eyes. There’s something very strange about that as far as I’m concerned.

She didn’t even tell us what drills they were doing, who was in the rehab group and who was burning up the track.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1