• Podcast:  

• Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

1 hour ago, 13thFlagIsComing said:

“Are we F*ckin Fair Dinkum?”

If anyone writes a book about the period between 1964-2021 this is the perfect title. 

Couldn't agree more.

For accuracy, can you now please change your moniker to 14thFlagIsComing?

Edited by In Harmes Way
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

There is a high degree of speculation and hearsay in this story.  It is indeed a big beat up about events from 12 months ago.  Some no doubt is true, but plenty no doubt is exaggerated or straight out false.  I don't know what went on....... only a handful of people do.  The point is our football club should be credited for successfully working though its problem.  At the end of the day, weaknesses were discovered, debate occurred, changes were made, the Board remained publicly united, the football department and coach remained focused and united to players and the public,  transition was made without incidence or media hype and we went on to win the flag.

This is a success story to all involved within the club. It will perhaps be the case study on how AFL Clubs deal with issues in the future. Its only now been made into an issues...... a non issue really as its a prior event.  In past years this [censored] would have derailed our season.  

Today this story is nothing but a footnote from a Premiership season.  This story will fade away in the coming days. 

We should re-sign Goody ASAP and get on with our Premiership defence.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Before we assume it was one of the four who were on the Zoom call that leaked the information, we need to be satisfied that no-one else was present during that meeting.

Couldn't there have been one or more staff members at either the MFC or AFL end who would have seen the Zoom call? Either officially as a note taker or providing assistance to those who were on the call? And might those who work in the IT sections of the AFL or MFC had access to the call?

I think we need to tone down the rhetoric and blame of named individuals given we don't know the facts. Otherwise Demonland might be on the end of a lawsuit for allowing defamatory comments.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

I believe there is more to this story and it relates to the Sorrento Hotel where something might have take place.

If you read between the lines Bartlett wanted to introduce random drug testing to catch out certain staff members who he thought were casual drug users.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows who he was referring to.

Without any concrete evidence this was his way of outting these certain individuals, this is why Gil got involved and Glenn was given the heave ho.

This really could have all got out of hand, Luckily calmer heads prevailed and we are stairing at our drought breaking Premiership.

As for that greedy grubby excuse for a Dr. i hope his reputation is tarnished to the point where he has to leave the country to find work.

Maybe we should all stop reading between the lines. By reading between the lines we are largely talking about uninformed speculation. Why don't we just stick to the known facts?

We don't know who is doing the leaking, but I guess it's fair to say that it likely has something to do with the upcoming AGM since it's only come out now rather than last year pre-season. Another possibility is that someone who has a vendetta against Simon Goodwin is trying to sabotage the negotation process for his new contract. As to numerous people who have posted that Melbourne should give Goodwin a longer/better deal to show our support following the newspaper article, this is ridiculous IMV. It should have no effect one way or the other, assuming this is nothing new to the Club.

Do we really need to character assassinate the Doctor or anyone else including Glenn Bartlett? The Dr's contract was terminated. He sued the  Club for $250,000. Anyone is entitled to sue for unfair dismissal. He received a $100,000 settlement. That doesn't necessarily mean his allegations were correct. It doesn't mean they were fabricated either. Does anyone posting here have any idea about his capabilities as a Doctor or his qualities as a human being? The fact that settlement was agreed on the basis that he would continue to cooperate with an investigation into workplace bullying was a positive for the Club. It shows they weren't trying to sweep all this under the carpet.

Does anyone know whether the drinking/gambling at Sorrento was just a casual one-off or something more problematic? If it's the former, no big deal. I personally think a gambling addict like Goodwin is probably unwise to gamble, and I think given Melbourne's stance on gambling it's probably not a great look or a great example for players. In any case, it was investigated. The reference to Goodwin needing a minder during a Las Vegas trip, this is just gratuitous reporting. Old news. Everyone knows Goodwin has a history of problem gambling but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be our coach.

The fact that Gil McLachlan apparently said that Goodwin and possibly Pert should be removed is neither here not there. Anyone who's read the Boys Club would be totally aware that the AFL is all about protecting it's image and is happy for individuals to be sacrificed (Bailey, Hird etc.) to bury full stories if that's what it takes. For me this is just another example.

Glenn Bartlett resigned as Chairman at a surprising time. The guy's a highly-regarded professional. By all reports he did a great job as Chairman but lost the support of the Board for whatever reason(s), quite likely including his perceived lack of support for Goodwin when others thought Goodwin should be supported. This doesn't mean Barlett's behind this. It doesn't mean he isn't either. However, it would be surprising that someone of his background and expertise would behave in such a disreputable manner...

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

There is a high degree of speculation and hearsay in this story.  It is indeed a big beat up about events from 12 months ago.  Some no doubt is true, but plenty no doubt is exaggerated or straight out false.  I don't know what went on....... only a handful of people do.  The point is our football club should be credited for successfully working though its problem.  At the end of the day, weaknesses were discovered, debate occurred, changes were made, the Board remained publicly united, the football department and coach remained focused and united to players and the public,  transition was made without incidence or media hype and we went on to win the flag.

This is a success story to all involved within the club. It will perhaps be the case study on how AFL Clubs deal with issues in the future. Its only now been made into an issues...... a non issue really as its a prior event.  In past years this [censored] would have derailed our season.  

Today this story is nothing but a footnote from a Premiership season.  This story will fade away in the coming days. 

We should resign Goody ASAP and get on with our Premiership defence.

Very good post, but I would prefer if the third word in the last paragraph were to be hyphenated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Some pretty sill comments now being made about a professional doctor who spent 8 years at the club. Not saying I know more than anyone else, but pretty stupid to be throwing around words like 'incompetent' without having any clue at all if that's correct.

Today's revelations about the handling of Gus don't paint Goody in a great light given the current climate around concussion protocols.

I totally get us all wanting to defend the club and Goody, but making this as black and white as 'Goody is just doing footy stuff and the Dr is useless' is just not accurate given the evidence now out there.

Agree that we need a more balanced view as many DL's appear to go into defence mode without facts ... the concept of a dysfunctional sports fan is alive and well not with everyone on this forum but many and it really frustrates me ... the way I read it though is that the doc stuff today is full of accusations but I'm not sure its evidence unless it was recorded, witnessed etc

• Like 3

Old news from the HS. Caro raised most of this before the GF. And too her credit not in a sensationalist manner at all, it was a very 'matter of fact' article that pointed out how far the club had come.

You gotta feel sorry for the two victims of this - the coach and the doctor - both put this to bed a year ago and is now being dragged up again. I'm sure this is the last thing the doctor wants to be known for... Whoever leaked this should ashamed! Surely Bartlett?!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I know Bartlett well professionally and at a friendship level.  I would be shocked if he had anything to do with this leaking.  Its simply not his style.  He did after all resign from the Presidency honourably.  He has never spoken a negative word to the anyone let alone the press.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

8 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

If it is Bartlett, which seems very likely, then he should never be allowed to another Dees game as a guest.

The fact he was welcomed into the changerooms after the premiership win, to then go and leak this information is a f'ing disgrace.

He got to enjoy this while the rest of us were stuck in our houses.

Is door stopping allowed in WA with all the stringent COVID protocols - if Bartlett didn't leak then there should be nothing stopping him denying it without adding petrol around the juicy details alleged.

This is what we have so far ...

Responding to questions from the Herald Sun on Monday night, Bartlett said: “With regard to Dr Arain, I developed a president/club doctor relationship over eight years based on trust and mutual respect.

“I wish him all the very best and have nothing further to add.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/purefooty/leaked-documents-reveal-melbourne-crisis-talks-over-coach-simon-goodwins-behaviour/news-story/1d670b6cc943caeebf24a6ac266bb429

This has all come out during The MFC Board Elections. There is only one person who would want to destabilize the results 

Maybe Warner could record a phone call and put it on the front page of his Junk employer 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

everyone thinks it's bartlett that's doing the leaking

caroline wilson wrote the same content in one article rather than across five, more or less, back in september, and without access to the 'documents' that mick warner has been provided

just a nothing story in the grand scheme of things

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This has all come out during The MFC Board Elections. There is only one person who would want to destabilize the results 

Maybe Warner could record a phone call and put it on the front page of his Junk employer 

THIS IS THE REAL MOTIVE BEHIND THIS LEAK.

PEOPLE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THOSE PLAYING POLITICS FOR PERSONAL GAIN. PEOPLE WHO HATE THE CURRENT BOARD.

NO ONE ONE THE BOARD NOR BARTLETT HAS ANYTHING TO GAIN FROM THIS LEAK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Some pretty sill comments now being made about a professional doctor who spent 8 years at the club. Not saying I know more than anyone else, but pretty stupid to be throwing around words like 'incompetent' without having any clue at all if that's correct.

Today's revelations about the handling of Gus don't paint Goody in a great light given the current climate around concussion protocols.

I totally get us all wanting to defend the club and Goody, but making this as black and white as 'Goody is just doing footy stuff and the Dr is useless' is just not accurate given the evidence now out there.

BS.

the doctor was incompetent, and probably should have been sacked earlier.

what goody said, would be said at least once a week at most other clubs. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Grand New Flag said:

PEOPLE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THOSE PLAYING POLITICS FOR PERSONAL GAIN. PEOPLE WHO HATE THE CURRENT BOARD.

GNF if it isn’t The ex President behind these leaks, then who is it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

I know Bartlett well professionally and at a friendship level.  I would be shocked if he had anything to do with this leaking.  Its simply not his style.  He did after all resign from the Presidency honourably.  He has never spoken a negative word to the anyone let alone the press.

That is true.... But I just can't think of anyone else who has anything to gain from the leak. Bartlett obiously comes out of this looking like the respectable vitctim (the one trying to uphold standards while being punished for it.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

everyone thinks it's bartlett that's doing the leaking

caroline wilson wrote the same content in one article rather than across five, more or less, back in september, and without access to the 'documents' that mick warner has been provided

just a nothing story in the grand scheme of things

Everyone? I don't.

Let me ask you a simple question: Would you be prepared to make that statement without the cloak of anonymity that Demonland provides, knowing you could be sued for defamation if it isn't true? Yes or no?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

The real news story is who leaked, why and what consequences they should face.

I hope it wasn't Bartlett. But if it wasn't he should say so because everyone assumes it is him.

I cannot believe a professional man like Bartlett would do this, and what he would hope to possibly gain. He would have to be unhinged to have done this. We are all guessing at this stage.

But I know who would, by now, have collected all the evidence and would know for sure who leaked this - and that is the Club. 

If so, given the Clubs excellent response to the initial story, I trust that they will find the appropriate response to this as well - and that way well be silence. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Yeah i can’t see what Bartlett has to gain from leaking this. He’s clearly an in intelligent man who would have the sense to see that the fallout out from this would be bad for him if he was to leak it. He left quietly and with a bit of class. 
If he was found out to be the leak he would lose credibility in his profession and ruin his chances of getting on any other boards in the future. 
When something like this is being leaked you always need to find out who gains the most from it and to me I don’t see Bartlett gaining at all. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fork 'em said:

What a load of sensationalist sheet.

Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

OVER A YEAR AGO

- some had problems, some of which are / were potentially very serious

- the club addressed these, and ably assisted those involved to find resolution

- the club united behind Goodwin

WE WON A BLOODY PREMIERSHIP AND HOPEFULLY A FEW MORE COMING.

What is the issue?

Bring on 2022

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

GNF if it isn’t The ex President behind these leaks, then who is it?

My suspicion is the outsiders who are wanting a place on the Board.  One of them in particular is very close to the club, for years has put himself forward as a Board member only to be rejected by the board. He is now standing as an outsider.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1