• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

Glorious Day

Jeepers... 

What an absolute marshmallow this Dr is. He would be up for years of mental health inpatient time if he heard the way Craig Bellamy speaks in the rooms with the storm players. 

He really does not belong inside a football club... local or elite level.... if he's any good at sports doctoring he best stick with those individual sports guys who need all the love around them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Satan said:

and more leaks

Melbourne discussed introducing illicit drug testing for all staff on the eve of its triumphant 2021 season, but chief executive Gary Pert warned the policy would trigger a mass exodus.

In emails seen by the Herald Sun, then-president Glen Bartlett pushed for the club to be a “leader” in the management of drug and alcohol issues, noting that all-staff testing policies were standard practice in other industries such as mining and aviation.

Stream every match of every round of the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

But Mr Pert declared: “If that is the case, we will have staff at every level of the organisation wanting to leave, rather than risk being caught and sacked.”

So mining and aviation are standard for testing? As they should be. They fly planes and operate large machinery. They don't kick a football.

Ridculous analogy by Bartlett if true.  

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, BDA said:

The medicos’ lawyers said: “Mr Goodwin telephoned Dr Arain expressing his frustration about all surgeries and particularly regarding one player who had not yet received surgery … Mr Goodwin became irate expecting all surgeries to be completed within 72 hours of the last game, saying ‘You’re f---ing around. (The player) is an A-grade player and we need training in the pre-season ASAP. All this f---ing around has taken up valuable time. Are we f---en here to do our job and win games of football or are we here to f--- around?’

"He then hung up abruptly on our client"

If you ask me Goody was quite restrained given the extent of the doctors incompetence. How on earth did this chancer stay employed with us for so long?

Goody should have been more aggressive. 

horrific incompetence from the doc. Assume this is referring to 2019 pre-season

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

It's all about jealousy this article.

You win the Premiership and you go from being the hunter to the hunted.

Simon Goodwin is a Premiership coach who helped the Melbourne Demons end their 57 year Premiership drought. That is all that matters.

As for coaches bullying I am sure Kangaroos and Demons players from the 1970s and 1980s would say Ron Barassi was bullying them when he was coach! 😂

I studied with high flyer Andy Moir when he was at the Dees. When the great Barass arrived he asked all players their 3 priorites.

Andy replied in order of importance - my girlfirend, my studies, and football.

Wrong answer. He finished up after 1 year with Ron as a 22 year old. Didn't fit the profile.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Goody should have been more aggressive. 

horrific incompetence from the doc. Assume this is referring to 2019 pre-season

With Gus concussion history isn't this a doctor just doing his job in this instance?

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

They don't kick a football

Or sit behind a desk, which is the the extent of work responsibility he wanted them tested for. The players have all been tested for years. 

• Like 5

Some pretty sill comments now being made about a professional doctor who spent 8 years at the club. Not saying I know more than anyone else, but pretty stupid to be throwing around words like 'incompetent' without having any clue at all if that's correct.

Today's revelations about the handling of Gus don't paint Goody in a great light given the current climate around concussion protocols.

I totally get us all wanting to defend the club and Goody, but making this as black and white as 'Goody is just doing footy stuff and the Dr is useless' is just not accurate given the evidence now out there.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 7

I don't have and will never have access behind the Herald Sun paywall, so I haven't been able to read all of the leaks.

But as far as I can tell, all of the "issues" that are being reported are 12+ months in the past, right? Whether it's Dr Arain's allegations of bullying, or the treatment of players such as Brayshaw, or the Sorrento hotel stuff, or the Bartlett drug testing stuff, etc.?

In which case the relevance of these "stories" are not the substance of them, for the club has dealt with (well, IMO) all of them. The relevance is the leaking of emails to the Herald Sun and the underlying motivation behind whoever has leaked that material.

From what I can tell the leak is unlikely to be Dr Arain because a number of emails between the CEO and the board have been leaked that Dr Arain wouldn't have been copied to and therefore likely wouldn't have access to. So, you'd think there's either a current or former board member who has knowledge of Bartlett's decision-making and access to those emails.

18 hours ago, daisycutter said:

more on the good doctor

If you want a bit more insight into the sensationalism, but lack of legal thought, of the Herald Sun reporting, take a look at what was quoted in this post. The author tries to have a go at the club by saying that, despite a non-disparagement clause being included in the club's settlement with Dr Arain, Pert still had bad things to say about him within the club.

The non-disparagement clause would have prevented the parties from disparaging each other to other people. It would not have prevented the club from saying things about the doctor to the club itself.

In other words, Pert did nothing wrong, at all.

Funnily enough, the only disparaging being done is by the Herald Sun, by leaking the emails.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't have and will never have access behind the Herald Sun paywall, so I haven't been able to read all of the leaks.

But as far as I can tell, all of the "issues" that are being reported are 12+ months in the past, right? Whether it's Dr Arain's allegations of bullying, or the treatment of players such as Brayshaw, or the Sorrento hotel stuff, or the Bartlett drug testing stuff, etc.?

In which case the relevance of these "stories" are not the substance of them, for the club has dealt with (well, IMO) all of them. The relevance is the leaking of emails to the Herald Sun and the underlying motivation behind whoever has leaked that material.

From what I can tell the leak is unlikely to be Dr Arain because a number of emails between the CEO and the board have been leaked that Dr Arain wouldn't have been copied to and therefore likely wouldn't have access to. So, you'd think there's either a current or former board member who has knowledge of Bartlett's decision-making and access to those emails.

If you want a bit more insight into the sensationalism, but lack of legal thought, of the Herald Sun reporting, take a look at what was quoted in this post. The author tries to have a go at the club by saying that, despite a non-disparagement clause being included in the club's settlement with Dr Arain, Pert still had bad things to say about him within the club.

The non-disparagement clause would have prevented the parties from disparaging each other to other people. It would not have prevented the club from saying things about the doctor to the club itself.

In other words, Pert did nothing wrong, at all.

Funnily enough, the only disparaging being done is by the Herald Sun, by leaking the emails.

Would be awesome if MFC sued the HUN for publishing confidential information

• Like 8
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Some pretty sill comments now being made about a professional doctor who spent 8 years at the club. Not saying I know more than anyone else, but pretty stupid to be throwing around words like 'incompetent' without having any clue at all if that's correct.

Today's revelations about the handling of Gus don't paint Goody in a great light given the current climate around concussion protocols.

I totally get us all wanting to defend the club and Goody, but making this as black and white as 'Goody is just doing footy stuff and the Dr is useless' is just not accurate given the evidence now out there.

AFAIK these are based on allegations made by Dr Arain in his complaint.

That means they may not be entirely truthful.

I'm sure there will be a degree of truth to them, but the fact that Dr Arain alleges Goodwin said something, or did something, does not mean it actually happened. Which isn't to say Dr Arain would have fabricated these things, but rather that they may have been exaggerated, deliberately or not, or mis-remembered.

Emails from the club are what they are, but allegations by people that aren't corroborated by emails/documents/recordings are just that, allegations.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Agree nev. The doc ain't the issue here.

And to be honest neither is goody.

The only issue is the leaking of PRIVATE, very sensitive emails and other information. A huge breach of trust.

And I would have thought potentially illegal.  

That is the story. 

The other stuff has all been investigated and dealt with by the club.

Tbey elected to sack the doc and brokered a payout and avoided any fair work hearings.  Standard stuff.

And in terms of goody they put in place the right suports it would appear, for example the change to coaching set up.

The Hun stuff is just gossip.

The real news story is who leaked, why and what consequences they should face.

I hope it wasn't Bartlett. But if it wasn't he should say so because everyone assumes it is him.

And if it was him God knows how anyone could go to him for work place legal advice and be confident he won't breach their trust.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

To me, the allegations of bullying are quite interesting. Not in the context of Simon Goodwin, but rather in the context of the wrongful dismissal. They were clearly brought up in the lawyer's letter to help add to the claim. The doctor's gripe doesn't appear to be against Goodwin but rather Pert and the dismissal itself, as shown that the dismissal case was rather about the fact that he was sacked a week after the discussion with Pert. I don't think the doctor has leaked any information; he would risk his pay-out if he did due to the NDA. The other fact is that the doctor would not have had access to a lot of the documents that have been leaked.

This leaves only a few people, and if it was Bartlett, than he's possibly killed off his legal career as no one would trust him with their secrets. Personally, I don't think it is him, but you never know. 

I hope they sign Goodwin up to an extension as quickly as possible so we can lay this to rest. 

• Like 6

The intensity of muck raking here usually ends up with....glass houses. However does seem as though the more we talk about our bid, and rightly so, of back to back, the more it seems to aggrieve the masses of rabble in the footy conglomerate that is the AFL.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Surely this Dr. is getting a knock at the door old school style.

He might not be the only one.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree nev. The doc ain't the issue here.

100%. In all the stuff I've read through this to do with the Dr I've not seen anything that's absolutely terrible. Some things that (if true) come across poorly, but nothing that should be career threatening for Goody.

Geez I can imagine the discussions inside the club today though re: finding the leaker.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

AFAIK these are based on allegations made by Dr Arain in his complaint.

That means they may not be entirely truthful.

I'm sure there will be a degree of truth to them, but the fact that Dr Arain alleges Goodwin said something, or did something, does not mean it actually happened. Which isn't to say Dr Arain would have fabricated these things, but rather that they may have been exaggerated, deliberately or not, or mis-remembered.

Emails from the club are what they are, but allegations by people that aren't corroborated by emails/documents/recordings are just that, allegations.

Yep, that's a more than fair point. I think the very specific nature of them and the fact they're included in legal documents that ended in a substantial payout give them some credibility, but you're right in that we don't know exactly how much.

I just think the people jumping to unfounded conclusions that the Dr is 'incompetent' are pretty silly.

For mine, the issue seems to be that the 'philosophies weren't aligned' which is what I seem to recall pert saying in one of the stories written. That's pretty clear for us diehard supporters to understand given the difference between Burgess and Misson as far as how conservative both were with injury management.

• Like 1

I read through one of these articles today and the only thing I took out of it and remember was:-

"Goodwin was named 2021 Coach of the Year at last year’s AFL Coaches Association awards having won a premiership with the Demons.

Melbourne defeated the Western Bulldogs 21.14 (140) to 10.6 (66) in the AFL Grand Final at Perth’s Optus Stadium to clinch its first flag since 1964."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

IMO it's really starting to shape up that Bartlett is the one coming out of all of this looking bad. This part of Jake Niall's article today was interesting:

"While Bartlett’s removal as president wasn’t entirely about his vexed relationship with Goodwin, this was certainly a major factor.

On Tuesday, this column was told that Bartlett had acted independently of the club board in meeting AFL bosses Gillon McLachlan and Richard Goyder to discuss the sensitive topic of Goodwin’s alleged behaviour.

It is fair to surmise that other members of the Melbourne board were not impressed that their president had acted without their full approval (albeit with one other director at the meeting)."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/embarrassing-but-success-covers-the-cracks-for-simon-goodwin-20220208-p59uqa.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The Pres’ letter addresses the bullying claims about as much as they need to or probably can given the NDA.

I’m reluctant to point to the scoreboard and say ‘premiership’ but winning the flag and conducting a celebration without issues is a fairly decent indicator that the club doesn’t have a widespread alcohol issue. And if we do is the senior coach having a beer with the players the cause of it all?

Gambling is a huge issue in the afl and one the players and hopefully staff get lots of education on. 

In terms of Goodwin’s individual issues I hope the club are providing ongoing mental health support to him due to the nature of his job. I don’t see that needing to be public at all. 

DeeSpencer, I generally like your posts and find them most informative and interesting. Sometimes I disagree with you but you're always thought provoking. That said, the above post is one of your best.

• Like 3

If it is Bartlett, which seems very likely, then he should never be allowed to another Dees game as a guest.

The fact he was welcomed into the changerooms after the premiership win, to then go and leak this information is a f'ing disgrace.

He got to enjoy this while the rest of us were stuck in our houses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Wizard of Koz said:

Whichever dog leaked the trove of emails needs to be put down. It has to be either

1. Bartlett,

2. Doctor Dkhead, or 

3.Mohan Jesudason, 

I vote 2 and 3

Some of the stuff leaked I don't think the Doc would have had access to ... unless someone has passed it onto him to do as he pleases ... I'm backing its an internal staff member that was moved on during COVID ... although Leoncelli thinks is Bartlett which isn't great ... the leaks or accusations appear cover a period up to 2020 which suggests the person has left at that time

Edited by Demons1858