• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

Glorious Day

In the end, what is all this piffle really about? So Mister Squeaky Gil had an 'issue', so Glenn Bartlett had another, so a doctor sued the club, in the end, they were issues raised and addressed over 12 months ago? Why are we 'discussing' Goodwin's past sins, some of which Goodwin himself sought help to address 14 or 15 years ago? As though every coach in AFL/VFL history needs to be a perfect saint who has never sinned, as though coaches like Matthews, Hardwick, Thompson, Hird - and the list would be endless - are perfect human beings without sin, like the very many perfect human beings on this site who still want to throw daggers of insinuation at Goodwin. Get a life, I urge these people, consider the great maxim that there but by the grace of god... and pay tribute to the men and women who have tried, failed, tried and kept failing who keep trying. They are the real human beings of this thing we call life. It would seem to me, based on the evidence, that Goodwin fairly and squarely falls into the latter category. It also seems to me that players who win premierships believe in the humanity of their coaches.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

We won the flag. No one can take that from us. Goodwin is still pretty much cruising, regardless of these headlines. 

Except he’s a human being. With children. With friends and family. He has been dealing with his own mental health issues and now has to deal with these BS headlines spread all over the internet (I assume nobody buys actual papers these days unless they’re old like my dad). 
When someone’s integrity and conduct gets questioned publicly, it has to hurt. Especially when these issues were dealt with privately a year ago. 
If you’re Goodwin you must be thinking “gees I just won this club a flag after 57 years and they’re still not happy”. 
Poor poor form to leak this irrelevant information. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

It is obvious who the leaker is. Listening to Sam McClure smartly lay out on Sportsday that the direct quoting of Gil on a Zoom call with 4 people on it means that the leaker was on that call. 2 AFL people and 2 board members from Melbourne including Bartlett.

Where is @Grand New Flag? Are you going to tell your mate Glen that he needs to swallow those Swedish Bitters and get over it? That his leadership had a ‘best before’ date and the current board did the right thing by the club and this human being who is coaching it? You should probably tell him, and the dwindling group of dead enders still hanging on. 

• Like 14

The last time our club messed around with a coach after a premiership year, it cost us 57 years of abject misery.

Don't do it again because whoever is leaking will be found out and 57 years of bad luck might be visited on him/her.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Bartlett needs to get over himself. 

He needs to do a lot more than that

Disclosing club information in this manner is a total breach of trust and demonstrates a complete lack of integrity. He’ll never get near another board, committee or leadership position ever again

I’ll be disgusted if it turns out Glen Bartlett has leaked this information

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you saying Warner was using the Sorrento incident to 'frame the narrative' implied that was the crux of his story.

As for 'other occasions' did you catch this comment: "Bartlett said he was sick of receiving phone calls about Goodwin’s behaviour from people he trusted, not just in Melbourne but also in Adelaide and Sydney."

So again, and not directed at you, I think people trying to make it out to be Goody having a couple of quiet ones one time at Sorrento pub just the once are either being defensive (fair enough, it's our club) or naive.

i read all the articles

i also gather the hun received a huge parcel of private emails and documents. In this respect i suppose i can't blame them for publishing a story, though i don't think it was frontpage stuff and they did sensationalise it

i too want the rat exposed and his/her motives explained. there can't be too many people who had access to this stuff. It's bound to be someone no longer at the club which narrows it down quite a lot

• Like 6

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

i read all the articles

i also gather the hun received a huge parcel of private emails and documents. In this respect i suppose i can't blame them for publishing a story, though i don't think it was frontpage stuff and they did sensationalise it

i too want the rat exposed and his/her motives explained. there can't be too many people who had access to this stuff. It's bound to be someone no longer at the club which narrows it down quite a lot

Absolutely. Gut feel is the latest article about the drug testing is from the same leak too. Not sold that it was Bartlett (as some are suggesting) if that's the case then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Bartlett needs to get over himself. 

Who did Bartlett appoint without due process?

Said person had a reputation for creating drama at a previous club.

Roffey is a guru at working with Government  in building infrastructure. Suspect 1 was head of that project.

Our board hasn't leaked for a very long time. I don't think they would start now after a premiership.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

. Not sold that it was Bartlett (as some are suggesting) if that's the case then

Nor am I, howver whoever is leaking does not have the Club's best interests at heart.

• Like 5

When I played with the Rye Demons in the seventies we drank at the Sorrento Hotel till the wee hrs of the morning 

Even tho in those days they didn’t have a late license and building was in danger of collapsing into the Bay

And no the Coach didn’t get the sack and he had played with the Melbourne Demons under Norm Smith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

It is obvious who the leaker is. Listening to Sam McClure smartly lay out on Sportsday that the direct quoting of Gil on a Zoom call with 4 people on it means that the leaker was on that call. 2 AFL people and 2 board members from Melbourne including Bartlett.

Where is @Grand New Flag? Are you going to tell your mate Glen that he needs to swallow those Swedish Bitters and get over it? That his leadership had a ‘best before’ date and the current board did the right thing by the club and this human being who is coaching it? You should probably tell him, and the dwindling group of dead enders still hanging on. 

So there were 4 people in this Zoom meeting.  Who were they?

• Like 1

I can only find positives in this story.

Players get together with coach  at Sorrento Hotel.

Have there been any allegations of irresponsible drinking? No

Have there been any allegations of irresponsible gambling? No

Did Simon Goodwin have some Demons in 2019 /20? Yes - Actually Goodwin has acknowledged on a number of occasions that he was struggling in this period and sort out new mentors to help him moving forward, obviously to Simon's and the clubs benefit. Seems more than responsible to me.

Did the club do anything in this time? Yes - Pert conduct a review in 2020, issues raised, changes made and support given to coach, even showing enough concern to send Richardson with Goodwin to Las Vegas in what has been described as a support role.

Bloody hell we have a great club here, Players being responsible with drinking and gambling, and the club responding in a positive manner to reviews and associated issues, initiating change and seeking to give support to the individual and team. This is what is going making us a great club. Oops and I forgot to say we are Premiers( not that I need to, I just like the sound of it).

What about the doctor you may asked?? Well I have no idea what the reason was for his dismissal. For whatever the reason the club decided he had to go for the betterment of the club and we had to pay up the bickies in the end that's good enough for me. Maybe the process was floored , so we can not always be perfect I am sure the club will learn from that.

Back to Back here we come.

May the Dees be with you.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, rjay said:

I'll tell you why I'm angry...

We've finally got the club back...after 57 years minus a couple of rubbish.

...and now someone wants to torch the coach and club, someone with an agenda.

Then clowns like Ox and others have to put their bit in...I'm not so angry with Ox by the way although I think he should have known better. Bartlett and McLaughlin are another matter.

By the way there was nothing facetious in any of my comments. They are based on Ox not being there and not knowing the facts  & seeming to be some kind of expert because he was an ex player with more than a passing knowledge of gambling addiction.

He's not Goody's professional advisor, psych, consultant and doesn't know what issues he has for a start. We know that Goody got in to trouble with a bad bet many years back, is he an addict or did he make a bad decision at the time...that's his business.

It's ours if it effects club performance and guess what, it didn't.

I agree with you. 

David was flying the flag around finals time, regarding how passionate a dees supporter he is. Can’t have it both ways. I am disappointed that he joined in on the disgusting pile on today. 

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Herald Sun would want to be extremely careful with what they seem to be implying with the timeline of these hit pieces.

Wouldn't worry about timelines Gonzo, the media don't seem to know how to report them correctly either 

This from the news.com.au article by "Staff Reporter' Because no one seems to want to put their name to this rubbish.

"Roffey continued to say that there had been a review of the football program by CEO Gary Pert at the end of the 2022 season. She said the review found that Goodwin was “the right man to lead our club” but was given some feedback."

Which is funny, cos the e-mail I got from Kate Roffey said that Pert reviewed things in 2020 prior to the 2021 season. 

I'm assuming that we have gone back to back, hence why people are out to knock us down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, faultydet said:

What sort of grub runs to the media with stories like this?

I've never understood that mindset.

prob some 2 bob journo  looking to get there mug on the news same as the leaked texts in politics   just media crap   , poppy syndrome blah blah  ignore 

• Like 2

It's all about jealousy this article.

You win the Premiership and you go from being the hunter to the hunted.

Simon Goodwin is a Premiership coach who helped the Melbourne Demons end their 57 year Premiership drought. That is all that matters.

As for coaches bullying I am sure Kangaroos and Demons players from the 1970s and 1980s would say Ron Barassi was bullying them when he was coach! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Will be interesting how this all goes now, Goody had already declined one extension offer due to some of the 'off field' clauses.

That suggests he doesn't feel he can meet the off field standards the club requires of a coach ... bit concerning ... after the recent articles he should sign up asap

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Demons1858 said:

That suggests he doesn't feel he can meet the off field standards the club requires of a coach ... bit concerning ... after the recent articles he should sign up asap

Perhaps, or maybe his agents are making sure the contract clauses are reasonable, particularly when it starts involving time away from the club.

There has only been one accusation of wrong-doing levelled at Goodwin; workplace bullying - and we know that the standards in an elite sporting environment aren't exactly equivalent to those in an ordinary workplace. 

Arain ultimately received a minimal pay-out, less than a year's severance and well under half of what he was seeking. Goodwin has denied the accusations of bullying and has been backed by the board following a review. 

Other allegations had been privately made by Pert about Arain's behaviour at the time, and the bullying claims don't fit with any other public statements made about Goodwin's character and interpersonal relations in recent times. 

It's very possible though that he could have used what might be construed to be aggressive language. Judging by recent appointments, it's evident that the footy department had issues with our fitness and injury management. 

I have no idea who was responsible for the following, but Viney's foot was apparently mismanaged, Shawn Smith was kicking up a serious stink about Joel, and half our list heading for off-season surgery at once set our club back by more than a year. 

Who knows if the former was necessary, or could have been staggered - but it put intense pressure on Goodwin and the club. If I recall correctly, Smith's public anger was also tied to the swelling threat of a board challenge reported by Caro. 

On the balance of things, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that Goodwin has ever acted in a way that the average person would consider inappropriate in the context of a footballing workplace environment. 

• Like 11