• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

Glorious Day

25 minutes ago, rjay said:

I'll tell you why I'm angry...

We've finally got the club back...after 57 years minus a couple of rubbish.

...and now someone wants to torch the coach and club, someone with an agenda.

We're going to go round in circles, I think we've both said everything we can now.

I'll just say, this part above, we are in 100% complete agreement. For me, that's the real story out of all this - Who did the leaking? And why now?

• Like 3

Just now, Lord Nev said:

We're going to go round in circles, I think we've both said everything we can now.

I'll just say, this part above, we are in 100% complete agreement. For me, that's the real story out of all this - Who did the leaking? And why now?

Absolutely...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You're trying to minimize the issues to one 'incident' that was brought up.

Do you honestly think the club would have gone through all the meetings and reviews (that are on public record, and likely more that aren't) over a few quiet beers one time at a pub?

Naive.

maybe (probably) not

but warner obviously thought it was a major incident (re drinking/gambling) because that's the way he framed his narrative. this leads one to think that if there were other issues of drinking/gambling he thought that they were of lesser impact. so you can deduce from that all one likes

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

maybe (probably) not

but warner obviously thought it was a major incident (re drinking/gambling) because that's the way he framed his narrative. this leads one to think that if there were other issues of drinking/gambling he thought that they were of lesser impact. so you can deduce from that all one likes

Don't agree. Have just re-read Warner's initial article and it's almost exclusively about the issues with Dr. Arain and the supposed 'Sorrento incident'  only gets a mention is passing.

Look I get Ox talking about the gambling side. I mean he's been to hell and back with it and in the past Goodwin has had gambling issues before and it's something that is there with you forever. David is probably also coming from the aspect of a melbourne supporter who like us just wants to be able to celebrate this flag. 

But good by Kate Roffey to get on the front foot and she is a massive fan of Goodwin and I like the email she sent out. Strong words. 

Look if this was any other club we'd be loving this story and wanting to know more but it sucks when it's your club. We also know Mick is a journo doing his job but he is like a dog with a bone. Like the tanking story this will keep going. I see another article on the herald sun site. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fteams%2Fmelbourne%2Fmelbourne-demons-bullying-culture-the-truth-about-glen-bartletts-sudden-exit%2Fnews-story%2Fc17015a071d5ac4a4c096b6e842390ea&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-warm-test-score&V21spcbehaviour=append

But I still find it odd that this was a year ago and only now it is out. At least we have a chance to get things cleared up before the start of the season. I hope Goody has a good support network. The players seem to be ok, no one walked because of any issues and I just hope our plan to go back to back isn't going to get de-railed. I don't want to hear about this every week during the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Don't agree. Have just re-read Warner's initial article and it's almost exclusively about the issues with Dr. Arain and the supposed 'Sorrento incident'  only gets a mention is passing.

if you read my post properly it was explicitly referring only to the drinking/gambling issue at sorrento. I don't doubt there may have been other occasions of drinking/gambling but if so they must have been less damaging at least to warner

i didn't attempt to address issues of a different nature

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

btw how do you know which was warner's initial article

there are at least 3 articles, and the one on the front page of the hun was not the one that focussed mainly on dr zee

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

😆 I hope your friends are nicer than mine…

04C721DF-19B0-4664-917A-3A826B32C70A.thumb.jpeg.4835661f4a961859438846d8141bfcba.jpeg

I'll give your friend 10 to 1 on a $1000 that we are not bottom 4

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, daisycutter said:

if you read my post properly it was explicitly referring only to the drinking/gambling issue at sorrento. I don't doubt there may have been other occasions of drinking/gambling but if so they must have been less damaging at least to warner

i didn't attempt to address issues of a different nature

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

because that's the way he framed his narrative.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you saying Warner was using the Sorrento incident to 'frame the narrative' implied that was the crux of his story.

As for 'other occasions' did you catch this comment: "Bartlett said he was sick of receiving phone calls about Goodwin’s behaviour from people he trusted, not just in Melbourne but also in Adelaide and Sydney."

So again, and not directed at you, I think people trying to make it out to be Goody having a couple of quiet ones one time at Sorrento pub just the once are either being defensive (fair enough, it's our club) or naive.

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

btw how do you know which was warner's initial article

there are at least 3 articles, and the one on the front page of the hun was not the one that focussed mainly on dr zee

I'm going by which one they published first online.

But even after reading at least the first 4, Sorrento doesn't get a massive amount of ink devoted to it.

I never liked that Club Doctor,should've got the A$$ years ago!!!

But seriously,this is just a smokescreen to sack Goody for Clarko.

Edited by Jack7

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Can someone give summary of this new article? 

Just read it.

Crux is this: Angry rich old out of touch boomer thinks randomly drug testing staff will be good for club culture. Sensible CEO says it's a terrible idea and will be harmful.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, CYB said:

Im very unsettled by this. I get all the comments around the reporting of it all but have always found that where there is smoke there is always fire in a news story. Do they cross the line - absolutely- but the MFC would have gone to great lengths at keeping this out of the public eye - we do have a right to know. 

I maybe old school but believe that coaches should have balanced relationships with their players. Whether there is any truth in the gambling and drinking with the players - I can’t say - but gone are the days where this type of behaviour is unacceptable in the court of public opinion. I don’t personally have an issue with a few drinks on occasion but cannot understand the gambling at all.

I’m stoked we have won a flag and throw my full support behind Gary and Kate that they have ultimately made the right decision, but these are questions now that have to be addressed by all involved. Kate’s statement is a great start and shows that the board is fully behind Pert and his review and of Goodwins current tenure. Still a lot to play out though so wont be counting my chickens just yet. 

Why do they have to be addressed? Ultimately the club, coaches and players will be judged on their performance. If performance is unaffected there is no issue. We just won the flag.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Can someone give summary of this new article? 

A negative implication that someone on the staff is potentially on drugs. That’s what I read into Bartletts proposed testing measures. This aspect of recent news is far more interesting than the doctor, who by all reports, just wasn’t up to it and didn’t like being told as much.

• Like 1

Well we had 120 odd days of positivity around the club so that must have been a new record!

Seriously though, there is just something about the MFC that seems to rub outsiders the wrong way. Doesn't matter if we're good, bad or indifferent on the field. They are like dogs with bones when they get a sniff of something they can harp on.

If people are going to claim that this is an enormous issue then maybe those same people should be of the view that for the club to win a flag despite such 'turmoil' was one of the great achievements in the history of this sport! But they aren't ever going to suggest that are they!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love you Schwarter but please STFU. Don't give this rubbish any oxygen

Unless he knows more than is publicized, which at present is speculation, he risks jumping the gun here. Maybe he is more privy to information we aren’t. He really should either elaborate more or STFU.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rufus said:

Well we had 120 odd days of positivity around the club so that must have been a new record!

Seriously though, there is just something about the MFC that seems to rub outsiders the wrong way. Doesn't matter if we're good, bad or indifferent on the field. They are like dogs with bones when they get a sniff of something they can harp on.

If people are going to claim that this is an enormous issue then maybe those same people should be of the view that for the club to win a flag despite such 'turmoil' was one of the great achievements in the history of this sport! But they aren't ever going to suggest that are they!

We won the flag. No one can take that from us. Goodwin is still pretty much cruising, regardless of these headlines. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Having read what everyone else has today the two things I take out of these stories are that this was an issue 12 months ago that was dealt with as part of Gary Pert's review of the club and that the only current concern would be if the person that has leaked the details is still inside the tent. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1