• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Club considered standing down Goodwin during season?

Glorious Day

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

I understand he's in the media etc... but because he's been where he has I think he should know better.

There would be pressure on him of course but Goody doesn't deserve this and some times you've got to stand up.

I don't think Ox has here, I think he's let himself and his cause down.

I think when you read/hear what he's actually said, it's pretty plain straight ahead advice from experience. He's not sensationalizing, and he clearly states he thinks it's all in the past and Goody has good support around him. I hadn't thought about the angle of how players parents may feel until Ox brought it up, and that would have been an important part of the whole scenario IMO.

I agree the whole thing isn't helpful for Goody, I just don't agree that Ox has made it worse at all.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

So Norm Smith shouldn't have socialized and drank with the players on Saturday nights after the games, and no mention is made  in Warner's article about the type of gambling going on .

I don’t have an issue with the coach  and players sharing a social drink on occasion. But society has changes its perspective since the days of Norm Smith. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Haven't heard the spot on 3aw, but would assume he was asked that question rather than raise it voluntarily.

I listened live this morning 

Schwarz was interviewed by Neil, he's employed on the station and has experience with gambling addiction so was a logical interviewee

He pretty much said club has clearly handled it appropriately, as you'd expect...

The subsequent reporting of his comments seems to portray him as seeking some limelight to comment, not the case

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Now we hear from the HSun that they have seen “secret documents” and a “cache of documents”. Time to bring in the Police for theft investigations.

The whole theme now surrounds the removal of Bartlett. Starting to look like there is a prime candidate for the “leaker” role.

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

30 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Schwarz's comments are hardly over the top or outrageous. Fair few here need to get a grip.

“For them to look at it there must have been serious concern at Simon and his behaviour,” he said on 3AW. Not according to the President...

“He has had a wretched run with it and to put it in front of young vulnerable men … I don’t think it is a great look. Put what in front of young men? what's not a great look, having a couple of beers...he wasn't legless and locked up for D&D.

“I think he needs to distance himself from that sort of behaviour. What sort of behaviour and if it's bad who says he hasn't?

“I don’t mind them having a beer but I think sitting down for a long time and gambling with players I think there needs to be a separation. How long is the right amount of time to sit down with them, did you have a stop watch on timing him or did Dill tell you?

“He is their boss.” He is their coach and he has an excellent relationship with them, lets get Neeld back, he knows who's boss. How did that work David? Let me guess Premiership coach or wooden spooner...

Schwarz said he knew “there were rumblings” with people concerned at Goodwin’s behaviour. Arrr the old concerned nameless people, then it's got to be right. We all know most of us go through life without criticism because everyone likes us...and doesn't have an axe to grind. 

He said Goodwin should retain his position at the Demons. Thank goodness for that David, I'm happy with your decision...I don't want 57 years of the Goodwin curse.

“I think they have dealt with it,” he said. Whatever it was they have dealt with it, good to know..

“They have brought in support … they have surrounded him with good people.” How do you know they are good people? they are experienced football people and that's what we lacked...strong football support. Lucky that according to Burgess who would know, Goody is a great man manager, the best he has come across. He got the best out of his support staff..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I just saw the story on the 11:30am news. The report was quite long and detailed, but ended with “the AFL Integrity Unit has indicated they will NOT be investigating this matter” which makes sense since there’s probably nothing to investigate. 🙄 

Not to mention that there’s no such thing as integrity when it comes to the AFL anyway.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Had a serious issue, found insight and admitted the problem,  asked for help, Craig stood by him and he took help and has coached a premiership team. 

• Like 5

“For them to look at it there must have been serious concern at Simon and his behaviour,” he said on 3AW. Not according to the President...

Perhaps re-read all the articles today. It's not disputed that the club had meetings about this matter.

“He has had a wretched run with it and to put it in front of young vulnerable men … I don’t think it is a great look. Put what in front of young men? what's not a great look, having a couple of beers...he wasn't legless and locked up for D&D.

Gambling clearly. Again, read all the articles and look at Goody's history, clearly this wasn't all about a one off cup day sweep.

“I think he needs to distance himself from that sort of behaviour. What sort of behaviour and if it's bad who says he hasn't?

See above. And see previous comment about how Ox said he thinks Goody has dealt with it.

“I don’t mind them having a beer but I think sitting down for a long time and gambling with players I think there needs to be a separation. How long is the right amount of time to sit down with them, did you have a stop watch on timing him or did Dill tell you?

Not bothering with this facetious comment tbh.

“He is their boss.” He is their coach and he has an excellent relationship with them, lets get Neeld back, he knows who's boss. How did that work David? Let me guess Premiership coach or wooden spooner...

See previous comment.

Schwarz said he knew “there were rumblings” with people concerned at Goodwin’s behaviour. Arrr the old concerned nameless people, then it's got to be right. We all know most of us go through life without criticism because everyone likes us...and doesn't have an axe to grind. 

You don't seriously think former players don't hear what's going on at the club? You remember the WhatsApp group right?

He said Goodwin should retain his position at the Demons. Thank goodness for that David, I'm happy with your decision...I don't want 57 years of the Goodwin curse.

Again, facetious. Not sure why you're so angry.

“I think they have dealt with it,” he said. Whatever it was they have dealt with it, good to know..

You do love these blunt facetious comments hey?

“They have brought in support … they have surrounded him with good people.” How do you know they are good people? they are experienced football people and that's what we lacked...strong football support. Lucky that according to Burgess who would know, Goody is a great man manager, the best he has come across. He got the best out of his support staff..

Right, so you're just going to argue and disagree for the sake of it then? Ok.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I think when you read/hear what he's actually said, it's pretty plain straight ahead advice from experience. He's not sensationalizing, and he clearly states he thinks it's all in the past and Goody has goo support around him. I hadn't thought about the angle of how players parents may feel until Ox brought it up, and that would have been an important part of the whole scenario IMO.

I agree the whole thing isn't helpful for Goody, I just don't agree that Ox has made it worse at all.

Do you and Ox actually know the situation as to why they were at the pub, and which players were in attendance? Mark Ricciutto said on radio this morning that Goody's birthday is on Boxing Day, and since he's been in Victoria, he invites friends down to Sorrento. I'd imagine it would have been just a few players, and more than likely senior players. Max lives down that way, so I'd imagine he was in attendance.

To suggest that the players parents would be upset with their adult children being in a Pub Tab with the coach is laughable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mo64 said:

Do you and Ox actually know the situation as to why they were at the pub, and which players were in attendance? Mark Ricciutto said on radio this morning that Goody's birthday is on Boxing Day, and since he's been in Victoria, he invites friends down to Sorrento. I'd imagine it would have been just a few players, and more than likely senior players. Max lives down that way, so I'd imagine he was in attendance.

To suggest that the players parents would be upset with their adult children being in a Pub Tab with the coach is laughable.

You're trying to minimize the issues to one 'incident' that was brought up.

Do you honestly think the club would have gone through all the meetings and reviews (that are on public record, and likely more that aren't) over a few quiet beers one time at a pub?

Naive.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

You're trying to minimize the issues to one 'incident' that was brought up.

Do you honestly think the club would have gone through all the meetings and reviews (that are on public record, and likely more that aren't) over a few quiet beers one time at a pub?

Naive.

Correct 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Perhaps re-read all the articles today. It's not disputed that the club had meetings about this matter.

Gambling clearly. Again, read all the articles and look at Goody's history, clearly this wasn't all about a one off cup day sweep.

See above. And see previous comment about how Ox said he thinks Goody has dealt with it.

Not bothering with this facetious comment tbh.

See previous comment.

You don't seriously think former players don't hear what's going on at the club? You remember the WhatsApp group right?

Again, facetious. Not sure why you're so angry.

You do love these blunt facetious comments hey?

Right, so you're just going to argue and disagree for the sake of it then? Ok.

I'll tell you why I'm angry...

We've finally got the club back...after 57 years minus a couple of rubbish.

...and now someone wants to torch the coach and club, someone with an agenda.

Then clowns like Ox and others have to put their bit in...I'm not so angry with Ox by the way although I think he should have known better. Bartlett and McLaughlin are another matter.

By the way there was nothing facetious in any of my comments. They are based on Ox not being there and not knowing the facts  & seeming to be some kind of expert because he was an ex player with more than a passing knowledge of gambling addiction.

He's not Goody's professional advisor, psych, consultant and doesn't know what issues he has for a start. We know that Goody got in to trouble with a bad bet many years back, is he an addict or did he make a bad decision at the time...that's his business.

It's ours if it effects club performance and guess what, it didn't.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

Plenty of idiots work in the media and he is just another one. In the past he has used the media to express his own personal  views as a supporter of the club by just opening his mouth without thinking of what he is saying.

It must be nice in your ivory tower. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CYB said:

I don’t have an issue with the coach  and players sharing a social drink on occasion. But society has changes its perspective since the days of Norm Smith. 

Haha Yeap and to make that correlation is laughable.

41 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Now we hear from the HSun that they have seen “secret documents” and a “cache of documents”. Time to bring in the Police for theft investigations.

The whole theme now surrounds the removal of Bartlett. Starting to look like there is a prime candidate for the “leaker” role.

Wowwee do you have facts to back that allegation up? Surprised Demonland is allowing that to pass.