Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Around the grounds.

leave it to deever

2 hours ago, radar said:

Was there too. 
only kicked 2 goals in the last quarter. 
Both in time on. 
Chopper Lovell and Sean Wight. 
Got up by 9 points. 

I remember there would of been around 10 Melbourne Supporters shoulder to shoulder, across, then going down  from the Hard Yakka signs behind the goals to the fence at the ground. I thought if it kicked off we'd be in real trouble. But at 22 you think you're invincible (my Dad refused to go with me) and by the time we got those 2 last Qtr goals, the Hard Yakka sign nearest to me got pummeled with an open right hand. All respect to any Magpie fan who was there that day from the way I was treated as I don't remember any eyes or verbal coming towards my direction. I remember walking out proud as punch just wishing my Dad had come and my Boss had come to experience one of the best days I'd had at the Footy. I enjoyed all the missions of going to all the Suburban grounds. Geelong is the only ground i haven't got to but would like to. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What a game that was, we cost the Pies top spot or the double chance if I remember correctly and they lost an Elimination Final to the Saints. They thought they had another flag in them after the hangover in 1991 and the win was as sweet as anything. I was there as a 10 year old standing in the outer with my dad and uncles (one a Collingwood supporter). I walked out of the game towards Hoddle St screaming Grand Old Flag at the top of my lungs I remember getting some dirty looks but noone said or did anything.

Had one of the best hamburgers that day too there was a grill setup just inside the entry gates - at least they knew how to do something right.

Actually as a kid I never witnessed many issues at any of the suburban grounds but I guess we were generally in the outer with other Melbourne supporters. In my experience stkilda supporters have been the worst I've experienced and it has always been at the G.

I've been going to the Footy since the 80's and I've only ever experienced problems with Bulldogs supporters. Princess Park, The MCG and Marvel Stadium multiple times. And I'm talking about when it had nothing to do with me and they're  wanting to fight other Melbourne Fans. I remember one Bulldog Fan wanted 10 or 15  Melbourne Lads who were egging him on. Ricky Petterd took a Screamer that night. Never had issues from any other Clubs supporters. I do love the banter it's half the fun of going to footy. Just never make it personal. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MT64 said:

Let's not forget they had an elephant walk around the ground at half time one time.

……. and a pig (not Hibbo) running around the SCG, interrupting play, and being chased by players and security guards.  I think it was Tony Lockett who eventually caught it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

……. and a pig (not Hibbo) running around the SCG, interrupting play, and being chased by players and security guards.  I think it was Tony Lockett who eventually caught it.

The poor little pig was frightened out of his skin. He had Lockett’s number 4 painted on his side. Some [censored]’s idea of funny. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

I've been going to the Footy since the 80's and I've only ever experienced problems with Bulldogs supporters. Princess Park, The MCG and Marvel Stadium multiple times. And I'm talking about when it had nothing to do with me and they're  wanting to fight other Melbourne Fans. I remember one Bulldog Fan wanted 10 or 15  Melbourne Lads who were egging him on. Ricky Petterd took a Screamer that night. Never had issues from any other Clubs supporters. I do love the banter it's half the fun of going to footy. Just never make it personal. 

Unlike English soccer hooligans, we are very good here. Perhaps because the game is more engaging or that we have space to breathe and play and live. Still the lucky country.

• Like 2

I haven't been to many of the old suburban grounds. My first one was Glenferrie Oval and I've also been to Albert Park, Moorabbin and Princes Park. And I think that's it for Victoria. I don't miss any of them.

However, I have also been to the SCG. It was in the early 2000s. It's a fabulous viewing experience except for the pillars in the Members Stand. I believe the SCG's two old grandstands are now heritage protected so can't be removed, even if the SCG custodians wished to do so. 

• Like 1

Love hearing all these stories...bringing back the bad memories of the toilets at Princes park ( still much the same) the ankle deep mud in the viewing areas at Moorabbin....

...as an Eastern suburbs boy I ventured to the Western oval once...and vowed never to go there again.   Obviously designed and built as an English soccer ground it still has straight boundaries on the wing.  The coaches box was probably a discarded stewards box from Flemington, that was accessed by a ladder. A solitary pie/beer outlet down one end on the terraces, it just went on and on with aged and antiquated facilities. 

But the funniest thing was the Newport railway brass band trooping out at half time, with the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins.  That sort of thing had dissapeared 30 years previously at other grounds.  The whole place just reeked of decay.

Very glad to go back to the civilised MCG.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Rab D Nesbitt said:

As a youngster new to the game I was fascinated with all the quirks of an away day at a suburban ground. Windy Hill was interesting with it's croquet club in one corner and a bowling green on the outer wing that barely allowed enough space for a spectator to get from one flank to the other during a game. Then there was the art deco Showers Stand that I think has now been knocked down. 

Although we never won there I liked Arden Street for the fact it had a dozen rows of seats all the way around the ground which I read used to be a greyhound track. The area had a real industrial ghost town feel about it on a weekend. The Western Oval was another favourite that had a hot dog shape with completely straight wings and a weird viewing platform on the outer wing that Mick Malthouse used to access by climbing a ladder on match days. 

Grounds I didn't like were the completely soulless VFL Park and dumps like Moorabbin and Victoria Park with their rabies infested supporters. The Junction Oval and Lakeside Oval were ramshackle and not fit for purpose whilst Princes Park still has that Hawthorn Stand and it's weird rollercoaster shaped roof that has always bugged me. More so after the extended it into the outer end. 

You missed the 1971 fixture! We smashed North by over one hundred points. We got into the ground about the ten minute mark and the Dees were already 7 goals up. Brian Dixon was North coach. The group-think was that VFL Park was soulless but we loved that ground, it p$%ps all over Qatar airways stadium.

• Like 1

Used to enjoy going to Princes Park, particularly because we had a pretty decent record there, including winning the last ever game there. The ground had a bit of character as long as you ignored all the Carlton bits.

Whitten Oval was ok, sitting near the Melb cheer squad on the outer wing and having a couple of easy wins over Fitzroy in the mid 90's.

I only have vague memories of the old southern stand (circa 1989, 1990) as I was only 8 years old at the time. Can anyone describe it for me? Were facilities ok or was it in dire need of a face lift in the early 90's?

Were there many food/drink concession stands, TAB's, pubs etc... in the old southern stand...

Was it general admission throughout the entire stand or was there an AFL/VFL members section? 

• Like 1

Started going to the footy in the early 60s. Have been to every ground in suburban Melbourne (no Geelong) when they were all much the same mostly standing room in the outer with poor amenities. Sadly (or not) they are all gone.

The old MCG (DEES only), Junction Oval (sainters before before Moorabbin), Lakeside Oval (South Melbourne before Sydney), Punt Rd Oval (toiges), Glenferrie Oval (dorks), Victoria Park (filth), Princes Park (lollie blues), Windy Hill (bummers), Western Oval (bullies), Brunswick St Oval (lions before ground sharing with others), Arden St (roos).

Waverley Park came later and was was cold, ope,n difficult to get to and barren but we won the 1987 night grand final there so has sweet memories.

The old grounds were rough and ready but, so long as the footy was good, we didn't care. We were watching the greatest game on earth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I only have vague memories of the old southern stand (circa 1989, 1990) as I was only 8 years old at the time. Can anyone describe it for me? Were facilities ok or was it in dire need of a face lift in the early 90's?

Were there many food/drink concession stands, TAB's, pubs etc... in the old southern stand...

Was it general admission throughout the entire stand or was there an AFL/VFL members section? 

It was built in 1937 so by the end of its life  the facilities were primitive. No AFL/VFL members - sit or stand anywhere. Hard timber seats and smokers everywhere. Glad it was demolished. Go to see the last game (GF) and attended the first test match in the new stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:But the funniest thing was the Newport railway brass band trooping out at half time, with the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins.  That sort of thing had dissapeared 30 years previously at other grounds.  The whole place just reeked of decay.

Pretty sure that would be the Hyde street Brass band  community band mostly young kids 

• Like 4

The AFLW gives a great opportunity for people like me too young to see these grounds in full swing. Hopefully they can be preserved and even bring back some local character without the depraved behaviour.

AFL teams haven’t really worked out how to get more unique experiences in shared stadiums. Every now and then you get a Yze or a Kreuze to get cheer for, but that’s about it. Port have their never tear us apart!

Unfortunately you can’t just invent traditions and the ‘fan engagements’ have been awful. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Jontee said:

My son and I went to see our home game vs Eagles at princes park.  There was 7000 and a dog there  and the queue for the ladies went 50m.

Absolute disgrace.

Sounds like Blundstone Arena - 2017 v's North.

Except there was a 50m line for the mens as well.

And you'd have to sacrifice a quarter if you wanted to line up for a pie and beer.

Hopefully things have improved since then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins. 

How many times you’d get hit on the back of the head with coins thrown by blokes whose aim depended on how many beers they’d downed. 

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The AFLW gives a great opportunity for people like me too young to see these grounds in full swing. Hopefully they can be preserved and even bring back some local character without the depraved behaviour.

AFL teams haven’t really worked out how to get more unique experiences in shared stadiums. Every now and then you get a Yze or a Kreuze to get cheer for, but that’s about it. Port have their never tear us apart!

Unfortunately you can’t just invent traditions and the ‘fan engagements’ have been awful. 

We have at no expense  spared, trumpet man or has he retired?

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

My fondest memory of a suburban football ground is that of the old Brunswick Street Oval, a picturesque ground with ancient grandstands and a brick fence. It was the scene of one of my first games which, despite being in the midst of a golden era for the Demons, turned out to be a narrow loss to the Lions which had previously been called the “Gorillas”.  That was in 1957 when my cousin and I walked to the ground from Brunswick where we lived across the Merri Creek. Times were different then - we were just short of our 10th and 8th birthdays respectively. As the reigning premiers, it was a shock to lose to Fitzroy who had finished well down the ladder in 1956 but we always had trouble with them, particularly at their ground. Soon after, a rivalry began between the clubs because we were coached by Norm Smith, they by his brother Len.  

The ground was small and by the late 60s was no longer fit for purpose as a VFL ground and the Lions became nomads, moving to Princes Park (twice), the Junction Oval, Victoria Park, the  Whitten Oval and eventually when they were forced to merge with the Brisbane Bears, to the Gabba where they tasted success but not as Fitzroy.

The real Fitzroy lives and still plays at the Brunswick Street Oval in the Amateurs. They play in the same Division as my club and it’s always a thrill to head out there for a game against the Roy Boys. There’s only the old grandstand left, part of the brick wall, lots of trees around the perimeter, one of the best canteens in the Ammos and a friendly atmosphere. Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

My fondest memory of a suburban football ground is that of the old Brunswick Street Oval, a picturesque ground with ancient grandstands and a brick fence. It was the scene of one of my first games which, despite being in the midst of a golden era for the Demons, turned out to be a narrow loss to the Lions which had previously been called the “Gorillas”.  That was in 1957 when my cousin and I walked to the ground from Brunswick where we lived across the Merri Creek. Times were different then - we were just short of our 10th and 8th birthdays respectively. As the reigning premiers, it was a shock to lose to Fitzroy who had finished well down the ladder in 1956 but we always had trouble with them, particularly at their ground. Soon after, a rivalry began between the clubs because we were coached by Norm Smith, they by his brother Len.  

The ground was small and by the late 60s was no longer fit for purpose as a VFL ground and the Lions became nomads, moving to Princes Park (twice), the Junction Oval, Victoria Park, the  Whitten Oval and eventually when they were forced to merge with the Brisbane Bears, to the Gabba where they tasted success but not as Fitzroy.

The real Fitzroy lives and still plays at the Brunswick Street Oval in the Amateurs. They play in the same Division as my club and it’s always a thrill to head out there for a game against the Roy Boys. There’s only the old grandstand left, part of the brick wall, lots of trees around the perimeter, one of the best canteens in the Ammos and a friendly atmosphere. Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

Lovely reminiscing. It's far worse to lose a club than lose an old suburban ground.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

I think they also played at Coburg for at least one year.

And WJ, you forgot to include the greatest Lion of all who until recently attended some home games - the still living legend Kevin Murray.

Agree on the atmosphere - they are a great club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Lovely reminiscing. It's far worse to lose a club than lose an old suburban ground.

It must have been quite gut wrenching for Fitzroy folks. I cant imagine if Mfc moved north and changed its names. They must have felt they had wasted a part of their lives. I know it's a rich world issue but still. I would have been mad as hell if I was a Fitzroy fan....especially in light of all the money thrown to keep new clubs going. Its comforting Mfc is doing well not only financially but now we have a Flag again.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, tiers said:

I think they also played at Coburg for at least one year.

And WJ, you forgot to include the greatest Lion of all who until recently attended some home games - the still living legend Kevin Murray.

Agree on the atmosphere - they are a great club.

It was North Melbourne that played at Coburg (in 1966). 

Also, I left out the great Kevin Joseph Murray MBE is because he’s still with us so he doesn’t yet qualify as a “ghost”.

• Like 1