Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Friday 17th December 2021

picket fence

Players are not commodities, Redleg. Let's be careful before we become so hubristic that we think that our lesser players have enhanced values that are tradable.

One of the magic features of 2021 was the unity of the club. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

When Oliver and Petracca play over 90% time on ground we don't have as many rotations as you think.

Fair point - but how much of that is actually midfield?   Sharing the load with very capable younger players may even increase their efficiency, and their longevity

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tiers said:

Players are not commodities, Redleg. Let's be careful before we become so hubristic that we think that our lesser players have enhanced values that are tradable.

One of the magic features of 2021 was the unity of the club. Let's keep it that way.

He was simply pointing out the obvious.

Have a look through the recent history of multiple flag winning outfits, and the seemingly over the top trade value they received for some of their lesser players.

We will be no different if the current core sticks around long term, which appears to be on the cards.

Players want to PLAY, not be sideline viewers while their mates win flags. They then look elsewhere for a best 22 role, often at a lower placed club with cap space and draft picks to burn, which inflates their market value.

Its a fact of life in the AFL.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, picket fence said:

Amazon.com: American Science & Surplus 12" Square All Metal Bigfoot  Crossing Sign, Caution Yellow, 12" x 12" : Patio, Lawn & Garden

"I WISH I KNEW WHERE I WANTED TO BE WHEN I WANTED TO BE WHERE I WAS TODAY"

Picture this.... temperature around 25 warm , balmy DAY and the Fence enjoying the majesty of the very pleasant surroundings of Casey Fields, does this sound inviting? Well I can tell you it beats the hell outa a weekend in Siberia anyday!

But out here you still have to worry about slitherers but  they are far more dangerous and bigger entities which have the capacity to be a .. more menacing presence .... which might or might not be related to the sign above!

The usual drone of House music emanating from the Boom Box speakers at Casey Fields just blended nicely into the soundscape of what was another "Full On" Blitzkrieg Training session today. The following report was filed for the Demonland Brethren so what are you waiting for...... read on

Absentees  NO MAJAK No W.A Contingent except for Kossie

On modified duties  Jayden Hunt

Warm ups   This is done two ways 

1 At the new indoor facility where players go through a thorough graduated stretching and graduated drill sequence

2 Out on the ground where small drills focusing on precise ball movement, quickness of delivery and rapid fire ball drill sequences are related to in tight match simulations

One of these was a drill which I now call "Three Blind Mice" Players run backwards, with ball, Pirouette and run forward in a triangualar type sequence zig zag and then deliver the ball slighly off balance. It looks like the type of drill which equates to players being surrounded by opposition and then need to squeeze a correct delivery whilst slightly disorientated and slightly off balance.

Skills , Drills and Maneuvers

Two groups were maintained with one doing whole ground ball movements from various positions of stoppages both forwards and back and selecting again correct options for longer run and carry type work and also ground switching. The other group then continued in small confines contested ball work and again emphasizing delivery, blocking harrasing and disposal under pressure

At the completion of this drill an excellent drill where players were involved in a triangular formation with 3 players moving the ball with precise handball which was punctuated by the gadfly tendancies of two harrasers who provided contest and pressure. This was an excellent drill in which hardly any group made a mistake! Delivery was precise, Handballs were given at the right moment then opening up the play.

Following that a full match simulation was conducted under match conditions which again featured some at times breathtaking full ground transferance of the air conveyance! 

At the conclusion of that another minor activity some run throughs and Goal kicking was maintained and warm down completed a just over 2 hour pretty intensive and hard workout

Player watch

Several players really stood out for mine and I'll go through them now

ADAM TOMLINSON A few on this site have commented on his "Readiness" but after seeing him again today he WILL be ready to go round 1. He marked well, moved well, was assured and showed NO sign of being hampered by his knee reco. He looked bloody good.

DEAKYN SMITH Caught my eye on a few occasions with his Charismatic ball skills and skill level, will be one to watch in 2022

BAILEY LAURIE Looked much more assured and confident with some very "Astute" decisions and ball use

TOM SPARROW Every time I see this kid I just keep thinking he plays like a turbo charged Ollie Wines, he is a bull who is becoming more confident and imposing.

JAMES JORDON Scott Pendlebury Mrk 2 in the making here.

JAKE BOWEY How much better can this kid get? Just never ever makes a mistake just cruises along the ground mopping up better than a thirsty Jex in the desert!

JOEL SMITH Looks confident in body and took some excellent intercept marks and delivered very well in run and carry sim.

N0 27 AND 42 Not sure who they are but boy did they do some excellently crafted runs and deliveries "Lace out" I wondered whether 1 was Luke Dunstan but not sure.

OUR STANDOUTS Im putting a few buck on Clayton OLIVER for the 2022 BROWNLOW He just does not stop improving , some of his escapism and brute strength and dazzle from stoppages is almost impossible! Our culture is being driven by Max, Tracc, Stephen May and Jake Lever were irrepressible and Ed Langdon ANB, J.V, BBB, and Big Mac were all eye catching. Fritta snapped a couple of "Freak Goals" and Harmsy and Rivers assured as was Christian Salem

IMPROVERS Fraser Rossman shows signs of steady improvement once smothering with full body on a Clarry Kick and Toby Bedford, and Kade Chandler committed very well.

FINAL COMMENTS Competition for places is at all seasons high with selection headaches aplenty. Long gone are the days of limited backups and I forecast based on what I've seen little let up from the professional and exacting standards established in 2021

Thanks Mr. Picket. Love reading your training reports that are so insightful and entertaining. It’s almost like being there. It’s obviously a labour of love for you and we Demonlanders are the lucky recipients of your training reports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Allus Monk said:

And Pickett for the wild card

Yer nar hardly played midfield, always on a half forward flank. THINK STEVIE J LIKE and you will get a mental picture of Picket Fence the footballer😂

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, brendan said:

How’s the weed looking it’s a big year for him 

In general training Ok but he was at times in the Ruck against Max and was beaten. I think he kicked a nice goal after taking a mark but I wasn't sure as it was at the other end of the ground to where I was standing. T Mac also played in the ruck at times directly against Max and performed better. Agree  I think it is make or break year for the Weed this season

• Like 1

17 hours ago, picket fence said:

In general training Ok but he was at times in the Ruck against Max and was beaten. I think he kicked a nice goal after taking a mark but I wasn't sure as it was at the other end of the ground to where I was standing. T Mac also played in the ruck at times directly against Max and performed better. Agree  I think it is make or break year for the Weed this season

He is injury cover only IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

He is injury cover only IMO.

He and Melksham are very expensive injury cover OD.

I think he stands a chance of pushing Tom Mac out.

Have just finished watchng the 3 or 4 games that Weid played in mid season. Got into a marking position mltiple times but couldn't complete the mark. Needs to get better in that area and we can see what happens.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Have just finished watchng the 3 or 4 games that Weid played in mid season. Got into a marking position mltiple times but couldn't complete the mark. Needs to get better in that area and we can see what happens.

Weid would have re-signed on pretty average coin I'd imagine 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can see Sparrow taking a couple of centre bounces next year a quarter, and then spending a bit of time on the HF flank and the bench.

His finals series was too good to ignore and he’s coming into his 4th year so he’s approaching his prime as a mature footballer. Probably best 22.

Has already had quite a few midfield minutes. Has done well there,

No question he is the best 22

He is 21yo built like a brick outhouse, kicks like a mule, has a good footy IQ (as evidenced by his kick to Fritsch in the 1st qtr, his one step goal on the 3rd and his sublime kick to Brown in the last) and is going to be a powerhouse for the Dees for many years..

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Has already had quite a few midfield minutes. Has done well there,

No question he is the best 22

He is 21yo built like a brick outhouse, kicks like a mule, has a good footy IQ (as evidenced by his kick to Fritsch in the 1st qtr, his one step goal on the 3rd and his sublime kick to Brown in the last) and is going to be a powerhouse for the Dees for many years..

100% agree with all comments.

Absolutely already playing as a mid, albeit low minutes.

But that is because he covers the inside mid role viney plays when Jack is resting. 

Key player in future seasons. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Weid's biggest problem is he can't bring the ball to ground. He gets in position then just doesn't seem to even get his hands on it.

T Mac finished top 10 in the B&F in a premiership year. I doubt his spot is up for grabs.

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Sadly I think he is a VFL talent DJ. If it does not happen this year it never will. 

• Like 2