Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of all time?


FlashInThePan
 Share


Recommended Posts


Not enough opposition supporters hate us for them to qualify yet.

Opposition coaches will actually be putting more work into the backline ( ours and theirs) and  over Christmas  and still  backing their own midfield to break even.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d actually like Goody to develop a second midfield group or rotation with Sparrow, Picket and … maybe Rivers, Bowey, Laurie. 
Both Kozzie and Sparrow have the tools to be damaging, and when switched on can add another dimension. 
 

Lets say a rotation of Gawn with Jackson (Oliver), Sparrow (Trac), Picket (Viney) at his feet… next gen.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @PaulRB. I would like to see the next wave of up and coming midfielders start to stamp their authority next year and beyond. There is always talk of Gawn, Petracca and Oliver as the 3 big dogs, but there is never a mention of that 1 extra midfielder who clubs should be putting time into also. Viney is probably that extra 3rd mid, but just hasn't been on the park on a consistent basis. 

There are two names imo that have the potential to really thrust their names as that genuine 3rd A grade midfielder and that's Tom Sparrow and Trent Rivers.

I do know for a fact that Sparrow is rated enormously high by the coaching staff for his work ethic and professionalism. I heard Adem Yze get interviewed after the GF win and he stated that his favorite player that he loves working with was Sparrow and James Jordon just because of their willingness to just do the teams things and their off field standards was extremely high. He went on to mention that Sparrow has the potential to be an A grade midfielder and i genuinely believe this also. I reckon his finals series was hugely underrated and even the Geelong game in round 23 where he took some really crucial marks to get us going again. He's an absolute brute and an animal around the contests, and some of his tackling pressure was immense. He's got that real power to be able to break away from the contest and roost it 60m dead straight. Having watched the grand final over and over again, his game just stuck out more, and he could have easily kicked 3 goals for the day. What i also like about Sparrows game is that he has shown that he can also rest up forward and kick goals. I love midfielders who are able to add an extra layer to their game by pushing forward and kicking goals.

Sparrow imo has been developing just fine under Petracca, Oliver and Viney, but I think next year will be the year he steps up and becomes more of a solid midfielder for us instead of a bit player like he did this year. I would like to see his midfield time increase significantly, and at times start games in the center circle. 

I mentioned Rivers because I think he's the full prototype package as a midfielder. 188cm 88kg who's tough, courageous and has some genuine speed and power to be able to break away from the contest and once again roost a footy 60m forward. Those meters gain midfielders aren't easy to find. I think River's does play down back next year, but Goodwin/Yze have shown this year they aren't afraid to throw a different mix in the midfield rotation like a Kozzie or ANB. I would like to see Rivers get some midfield minutes next year just to really throw teams out wack, but also add another layer to his game. 

I do remember that when River was playing as a midfielder for WAFL colts level at East Fremantle, he was nearly averaging 30 disposals a game. So he's obviously shown that he's certainly capable of playing in the midfield and winning some big numbers.

  • Like 5
  • Love 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DubDee said:

Would the powder help or hinder I wonder? I personally doubt it would be performance enhancing 

We don’t know what they were taking but Cousins and Kerr apparently would try anything.😢😢

As for our 2021 side they beat the second best side by 74 points and had a 100 point turnaround in the second half. As mentioned above we are a Champion Team, our Backline shade all those teams. Max, LJ, Tracc, Clarry & JV are the equal of any team running around and they are well supported by Harmes, Langdon,  Gus, Sparrow, Jordon, Dunstan. If we can keep this group together and out on the park we will be up there with the best for some time and then we can compare Who was as good as us. We have great depth as well, that still sounds a bit foreign to me.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Rivers because I think he's the full prototype package as a midfielder. 188cm 88kg who's tough, courageous and has some genuine speed and power to be able to break away from the contest and once again roost a footy 60m forward

Would love to see him in the middle but I think hes just too valuable down back at present. He has the strength,  speed, confidence and presence of mind to break through tackles and packs.

He's only just started so you never know. Perhaps his future is in latching onto Luke Jacksons taps, shrugging the odd tackle and roosting them 60 m through the middle.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, DubDee said:

Would the powder help or hinder I wonder? I personally doubt it would be performance enhancing 

The whole side were built like juiced up tanks compared to the rest of the competition.
And there are question marks on Geelongs drought breaking side with Danks involvement pre essendon.
It was Thompson who told Hird his side wasn't strong enough and got across both Dank and "the Weapon".
But the AFL did a leftie media job on that and smothered the story with a pillow.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

The whole side were built like juiced up tanks compared to the rest of the competition.
And there are question marks on Geelongs drought breaking side with Danks involvement pre essendon.
It was Thompson who told Hird his side wasn't strong enough and got across both Dank and "the Weapon".
But the AFL did a leftie media job on that and smothered the story with a pillow.

Thompson was out at Home House, Geelong's nightclub famous for party drugs and late nights during his tenure.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree with @PaulRB. I would like to see the next wave of up and coming midfielders start to stamp their authority next year and beyond. There is always talk of Gawn, Petracca and Oliver as the 3 big dogs, but there is never a mention of that 1 extra midfielder who clubs should be putting time into also. Viney is probably that extra 3rd mid, but just hasn't been on the park on a consistent basis. 

There are two names imo that have the potential to really thrust their names as that genuine 3rd A grade midfielder and that's Tom Sparrow and Trent Rivers.

I do know for a fact that Sparrow is rated enormously high by the coaching staff for his work ethic and professionalism. I heard Adem Yze get interviewed after the GF win and he stated that his favorite player that he loves working with was Sparrow and James Jordon just because of their willingness to just do the teams things and their off field standards was extremely high. He went on to mention that Sparrow has the potential to be an A grade midfielder and i genuinely believe this also. I reckon his finals series was hugely underrated and even the Geelong game in round 23 where he took some really crucial marks to get us going again. He's an absolute brute and an animal around the contests, and some of his tackling pressure was immense. He's got that real power to be able to break away from the contest and roost it 60m dead straight. Having watched the grand final over and over again, his game just stuck out more, and he could have easily kicked 3 goals for the day. What i also like about Sparrows game is that he has shown that he can also rest up forward and kick goals. I love midfielders who are able to add an extra layer to their game by pushing forward and kicking goals.

Sparrow imo has been developing just fine under Petracca, Oliver and Viney, but I think next year will be the year he steps up and becomes more of a solid midfielder for us instead of a bit player like he did this year. I would like to see his midfield time increase significantly, and at times start games in the center circle. 

I mentioned Rivers because I think he's the full prototype package as a midfielder. 188cm 88kg who's tough, courageous and has some genuine speed and power to be able to break away from the contest and once again roost a footy 60m forward. Those meters gain midfielders aren't easy to find. I think River's does play down back next year, but Goodwin/Yze have shown this year they aren't afraid to throw a different mix in the midfield rotation like a Kozzie or ANB. I would like to see Rivers get some midfield minutes next year just to really throw teams out wack, but also add another layer to his game. 

I do remember that when River was playing as a midfielder for WAFL colts level at East Fremantle, he was nearly averaging 30 disposals a game. So he's obviously shown that he's certainly capable of playing in the midfield and winning some big numbers.

Rivers hates losing a contest and even though it doesn't happen often you can see it in his reaction.

Sparrow can be anything, he's one of my favourites, courage and strength galore.

Rivers is 20 and Sparrow is 21, they play like they've been in the system for 5 or 6 years.

I used to feel sorry for good players that got drafted by Melbourne because we'd wreck their careers, now I feel sorry for them because we have so many good players they struggle to get a game, look at who we have on the sidelines. Jordon is an example. very good but had so many games as medical sub. How do you fit Hunt, Tomlinson and Melksham and Smith in?

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dante said:

Rivers hates losing a contest and even though it doesn't happen often you can see it in his reaction.

Sparrow can be anything, he's one of my favourites, courage and strength galore.

Rivers is 20 and Sparrow is 21, they play like they've been in the system for 5 or 6 years.

I used to feel sorry for good players that got drafted by Melbourne because we'd wreck their careers, now I feel sorry for them because we have so many good players they struggle to get a game, look at who we have on the sidelines. Jordon is an example. very good but had so many games as medical sub. How do you fit Hunt, Tomlinson and Melksham and Smith in?

 

 

I can see Jordon becoming our version of a Daniel Cross/Brad Sewell type player. Sort of a no frills midfielder who isn't flashy but quietly goes about his business playing the team first role, but also getting his hands dirty to release our more Hollywood style midfielders.

Wont win a lot of external praise, but will be incredibly valued internally by coaching staff and players.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies in advance for being grumpy, but can we please change the title of this thread to ' Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the 21st Century?' or maybe 'Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the last thirty years?' because clearly none of us can compare our mids to midfields of seventy, eighty, ninety years ago, which would necessarily be encompassed by the 'of all time' question. Besides, all of the discussion is about midfields of the last few decades, ignoring the rest of football history as if it didn't happen. Historical perspective is important, given the parameters of the thread title, and what could be a worthwhile discourse becomes misleading.

It just irks me. Sorry.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Demonised said:

Apologies in advance for being grumpy, but can we please change the title of this thread to ' Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the 21st Century?' or maybe 'Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the last thirty years?' because clearly none of us can compare our mids to midfields of seventy, eighty, ninety years ago, which would necessarily be encompassed by the 'of all time' question. Besides, all of the discussion is about midfields of the last few decades, ignoring the rest of football history as if it didn't happen. Historical perspective is important, given the parameters of the thread title, and what could be a worthwhile discourse becomes misleading.

It just irks me. Sorry.

It is hard to compare, I remember the great Polly Farmer who had a huge leap and could handball as far as most could kick, but was he as fit as they are today, I doubt it.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Dante said:

Rivers hates losing a contest and even though it doesn't happen often you can see it in his reaction.

Sparrow can be anything, he's one of my favourites, courage and strength galore.

Rivers is 20 and Sparrow is 21, they play like they've been in the system for 5 or 6 years.

I used to feel sorry for good players that got drafted by Melbourne because we'd wreck their careers, now I feel sorry for them because we have so many good players they struggle to get a game, look at who we have on the sidelines. Jordon is an example. very good but had so many games as medical sub. How do you fit Hunt, Tomlinson and Melksham and Smith in?

 

 

Sparrow - Scott Thompson. Except he's staying (for now at least)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demonised said:

Apologies in advance for being grumpy, but can we please change the title of this thread to ' Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the 21st Century?' or maybe 'Is Melbourne's midfield one of the best of the last thirty years?' because clearly none of us can compare our mids to midfields of seventy, eighty, ninety years ago, which would necessarily be encompassed by the 'of all time' question. Besides, all of the discussion is about midfields of the last few decades, ignoring the rest of football history as if it didn't happen. Historical perspective is important, given the parameters of the thread title, and what could be a worthwhile discourse becomes misleading.

It just irks me. Sorry.

Sad sack.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well on the way but we'll need a few more super productive years to be amongst the very best (all time)

Didn't witness but Spencer, Ridley, Mithen, Dixon, Adams, Barassi and Big Bob did quite well (5 flags in 6 years)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wrecker46 said:

I reckon Jordie McKenzie could play a role now. He fits alot of our criteria.

Don't think so.

While he was an honest battler, he was also a diabolical kick and barely had other strings to his game other then being a one paced tagger.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wrecker46 said:

I reckon Jordie McKenzie could play a role now. He fits alot of our criteria.

Um Um NO! I swear I saw him not make the distance for goal from 30 m out once!

Dazzle, serious question for you, where do you see Luke Dunstan fitting in??

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faultydet said:

Sparrow - Scott Thompson. Except he's staying (for now at least)

 

Yes agree faultydet could be, I really like this kid and needs to be locked in long term ASAP.!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DAISY DOES IT by Whispering Jack

    The Gold Coast has been treated to a feast of womens football over the past couple of days. On Friday night, the Brisbane Lions claimed flag favouritism when they knocked the Adelaide Crows off their second placed perch at Metricon Stadium. Then on Saturday evening at the same venue, the Melbourne Demons consolidated their hold on that vacated second spot when, they ruthlessly smashed a finals contender in consecutive weeks, this time the home town favourites, the Suns.    It was a case

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...