Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

2022 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch


Whispering_Jack
 Share


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Would the club not entertain trading pick 13 and future 2nd or 1st? Seeing as though we have two future firsts (2023) and two future 2nds (2023)...we could get higher up the order this year - given there's some F/S picks.

I know next year's draft is being touted as stronger, yet I'd like to see a better return on investment for losing Jackson this year.

We've got a good record of trading up/picks.

I'm assuming we tried over the trade period with no buyers.

If we can't get a top 5 pick with a swap of futures then there is absolutely no point, especially in this draft.

It was harder this year to achieve a move up into the top 5 given the Jackson deal happened relatively late so we didn't know what we were dealing with and by that time oppo clubs would have been busy making plans of their own.

Next year we'll be on the front foot from the start of trade period with any bottom dwelling sides who need points for academy players/father sons. Gold Coast for instance have multiple high-end academy prospects coming through so they'd be a good club to deal with. 

One draft haul can change the future and fortunes of your club and I can really see us using next year's draft period to bring in another crop of super high end talent. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

I'm assuming we tried over the trade period with no buyers.

If we can't get a top 5 pick with a swap of futures then there is absolutely no point, especially in this draft.

It was harder this year to achieve a move up into the top 5 given the Jackson deal happened relatively late so we didn't know what we were dealing with and by that time oppo clubs would have been busy making plans of their own.

Next year we'll be on the front foot from the start of trade period with any bottom dwelling sides who need points for academy players/father sons. Gold Coast for instance have multiple high-end academy prospects coming through so they'd be a good club to deal with. 

One draft haul can change the future and fortunes of your club and I can really see us using next year's draft period to bring in another crop of super high end talent. 

 

Agreed - I don't expect we'd get top 5, simply suggesting we try move up to 9 or 10.

But they might have tried to no avail. You'd back them in to get something at 13 given Taylor's record

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Agreed - I don't expect we'd get top 5, simply suggesting we try move up to 9 or 10.

But they might have tried to no avail. You'd back them in to get something at 13 given Taylor's record

I think our best is to move up into that 8-10 mark. 

Wouldn't be surprised though if we do get a slider come pick 13 and hopefully grab a bargain. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pinball Wizard said:

South Australians aren’t anywhere near as much of a flight risk as those from Western Australia. The real concern on Phillipou is his disposal which is one of the reasons that he could slide below no. 10 in this draft. 

The top South Australian prospects for the 2022 AFL Draft

I agree.  A couple of other SA youngsters that impressed me were Harry Lemmey (forward/ruck), Billy Dowling (wing/half fwd) and Kobe Ryan (running half back/wing). Each could be potential draftees for MFC around the pick 37 mark or for a rookie spot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think our best is to move up into that 8-10 mark. 

Wouldn't be surprised though if we do get a slider come pick 13 and hopefully grab a bargain. 

There is usually a late riser like Allan, who changes the options a little further down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When draft time comes around, I invariably think of a chubby Clayton Oliver and what he's now become. Always feels like an absolute miracle that he became such a talent and that he's ours. Is it too much to ask for something akin to that again?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our drafting strategy for the next 2-3 years has to focus on the bookends & HF line. Our midfield crop (Lingers, Hunter, Viney, Brayshaw, Trac, Clay, Gawndy, with Harmes, JJ, Sparrow to compliment, Dunstan as depth and Taj, Howes next in line) is set for at least another 5 solid years and any players we recruit now into that role will find it difficult to break through and would spend excessive times in the VFL. Its a good problem i suppose having the midfield and follower lines locked . 

We need to use our strong draft hand next year to find our next KPF to complement JVR (who is still unproven). We will hopefully get a solid look at Turner this year and see if he'll be able to hold down a KPF role to cover May's retirement, but if we have any doubt then we look to recruit and there is the potential backfill for Petty if he is to move forward. 

Begs the question what we do this year. Ideally it would have been to land Cadman, but that is unlikely. A good kicker and playmaker that we can plonk onto HB or HF lines could be something we look at as we are most vulnerable there. Hunter somewhat solves that problem, but our F50 connection largely driven by a slower / higher turnover ball movement from HB is to be blame. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

It looks like Elijah Hewitt is the one that is going the other way. His range has become quite wide now.

Which is surprising for me. There must be more to it in terms of off field because he's a top 10 prospect on talent alone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

It looks like Elijah Hewitt is the one that is going the other way. His range has become quite wide now.

 

15 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Which is surprising for me. There must be more to it in terms of off field because he's a top 10 prospect on talent alone.

Maybe West Coast have been encouraging him to spend time with Jack Darling?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Which is surprising for me. There must be more to it in terms of off field because he's a top 10 prospect on talent alone.

I agree, his exposed form and traits do stand up well when compared to many tipped to go inside the first 10. No known behavioural issues, probably didn’t elevate his standing during (and after) the Champs against some others that jumped up in that period.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

When draft time comes around, I invariably think of a chubby Clayton Oliver and what he's now become. Always feels like an absolute miracle that he became such a talent and that he's ours. Is it too much to ask for something akin to that again?

As the underage equivalent of the Brownlow, I always keep an eye on the Morrish Medal winners, of which Clarry was one. Others include Hugh McCluggage, Lenny Hayes and Dyson Heppell. These are the exceptions though. Some Morrish Medal winners didn't even get to play an AFL game. Again this year the dual winners are nowhere near the top draft rankings despite being the best and most consistent players in the comp! 

Then there's BOG in the TAC Cup final. Surely ones ability to perform on the big stage must be a thing, right? There a much better strike rate for future stars here: Goodes, Viney, Rowell, Sidebottom. Dale Thomas even Jake Melksham! But also blokes that couldn't even make it on the rookie list!

As supporters we're always looking for some justification as to why we think one player will be the one! It's a ridiculously inexact science! Maybe Clarry is just that, a miracle!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Ed Pascoe’s colourful draft rankingsCA383B50-E15A-4CAC-8F53-EAC1616625EC.thumb.jpeg.5425f34f56ce6060f739a1c1abcfdae3.jpeg

i actully really like the layout he does, visually it shows you everything you need to know. i dont agree with his top 6 ordering but i don't mind his bottom 5 there, personally i think george slides off the back of the acl's and i dont think anyone takes barnett that early but i approve of leaving jaspa fletcher out. i've heard literally nothing about him apart from he's a lions FS and he's a first round prospect but theres been no standout games, no standout combine, no stantout traits like many of the other first round fancies

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Turner said:

i actully really like the layout he does, visually it shows you everything you need to know. i dont agree with his top 6 ordering but i don't mind his bottom 5 there, personally i think george slides off the back of the acl's and i dont think anyone takes barnett that early but i approve of leaving jaspa fletcher out. i've heard literally nothing about him apart from he's a lions FS and he's a first round prospect but theres been no standout games, no standout combine, no stantout traits like many of the other first round fancies

Often players from the Allies get ignored because (apart from Tassie) they’re not from areas where the AFL is the dominant sport so they often slip under the radar. Fletcher goes alright and he’s close to late first round.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are peoples thoughts on Keeler? Not in first round discussions at present, but he looks to have high potential as an athletic  ruck/key forward. Floats nicely in the air, decent mark, looks quite agile for his size. Could develop nicely in a key forward/2nd ruckman role.
Tied to Crows NGA if he lasts until pick 40, but that seems unlikely. Any chance he lasts until 37 and we take him?

 

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, ChaserJ said:

I agree, his exposed form and traits do stand up well when compared to many tipped to go inside the first 10. No known behavioural issues, probably didn’t elevate his standing during (and after) the Champs against some others that jumped up in that period.

Nothing as far as I’m aware of field he was the standout of the WA group as an underager and had an excellent colts season in 2021.

I just think the emergence of Ginbey, Allan and the game awareness and skill set of 196 Busslinger have seen him move down the order.

His draft year is very reminiscent of Jack Darlings where there were all sorts of conspiracy theories around about West Coast trying to hide him etc, when the truth was he just struggled against bigger and smarter defenders and couldn’t do what he could at the underage level.

The WAFL has decent depth now and as I said to Dazzle last week so many medium sized good footballers who get overlooked but can seriously play, so it’s not as easy for the 18s boys to jut walk in and standout.

 I have no worries about Hewitt going into the AFL system and think he”ll do very well 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, Return to Glory said:

When draft time comes around, I invariably think of a chubby Clayton Oliver and what he's now become. Always feels like an absolute miracle that he became such a talent and that he's ours. Is it too much to ask for something akin to that again?

ahhhh yes it is but it's worth asking all the same.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Nothing as far as I’m aware of field he was the standout of the WA group as an underager and had an excellent colts season in 2021.

I just think the emergence of Ginbey, Allan and the game awareness and skill set of 196 Busslinger have seen him move down the order.

His draft year is very reminiscent of Jack Darlings where there were all sorts of conspiracy theories around about West Coast trying to hide him etc, when the truth was he just struggled against bigger and smarter defenders and couldn’t do what he could at the underage level.

The WAFL has decent depth now and as I said to Dazzle last week so many medium sized good footballers who get overlooked but can seriously play, so it’s not as easy for the 18s boys to jut walk in and standout.

 I have no worries about Hewitt going into the AFL system and think he”ll do very well 

If he's there at our pick would you personally choose him PSD?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

If he's there at our pick would you personally choose him PSD?

Yes, he can play andI mean seriously play. Game sense is good, awareness is above the norm and his potential is unlimited so it’s a big yes from me and has no off field issues I’m aware of so it’s a big yes from me 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Red and Blue Flame said:

Would the club not entertain trading pick 13 and future 2nd or 1st? Seeing as though we have two future firsts (2023) and two future 2nds (2023)...we could get higher up the order this year - given there's some F/S picks.

I know next year's draft is being touted as stronger, yet I'd like to see a better return on investment for losing Jackson this year.

We've got a good record of trading up/picks.

I would have thought we addressed quite simply and efficiently on losing Jacko this year.  Or have you forgotten the name Brodie Grundy. Yes thats the new 2nd ruck with some mid field skills better than most his size. And I haven't closed the door of him developing forward craft to say get 15/20 goals if he is rested up front.  Maxy's only done this really once and he was a waste in the last 10/12 games banged up ( thanks to that disgracefully deliberate jump by the American Pie into his back on QB afternoon starting his demise).

Maxy was purely up front to test the oppo defence and stop it's marking of our pretty impotent forays forward or to the LH pocket and prevent our hopefully Gawn mark and goal as well which did not eventuate.

We can address specifically the KPF next draft with one of our four picks along with a future ruck prodigy  and Jacko May be a mostly distant memory, (except our bang bang bang 3Rd Quarter unforgettable highlight Flag junkies like me) hopefully replaced with the 2023 version of Flag memories of equal jubilation. 

If of course Pick 37 still has a tall timber prospect of high skill and Hope available then that's a bonus really. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 58er said:

I would have thought we addressed quite simply and efficiently on losing Jacko this year.  Or have you forgotten the name Brodie Grundy. Yes thats the new 2nd ruck with some mid field skills better than most his size. And I haven't closed the door of him developing forward craft to say get 15/20 goals if he is rested up front.  Maxy's only done this really once and he was a waste in the last 10/12 games banged up ( thanks to that disgracefully deliberate jump by the American Pie into his back on QB afternoon starting his demise).

Maxy was purely up front to test the oppo defence and stop it's marking of our pretty impotent forays forward or to the LH pocket and prevent our hopefully Gawn mark and goal as well which did not eventuate.

We can address specifically the KPF next draft with one of our four picks along with a future ruck prodigy  and Jacko May be a mostly distant memory, (except our bang bang bang 3Rd Quarter unforgettable highlight Flag junkies like me) hopefully replaced with the 2023 version of Flag memories of equal jubilation. 

If of course Pick 37 still has a tall timber prospect of high skill and Hope available then that's a bonus really. 

I'd look at Munkara at 37 or George if he were to slide. Better talls next year. Bonus is we can carry George for the year and reap reward later and if we grab Munkara we have a taller "small forward" to work in tandem with Kossie whilst denying the Bummers their Academy player at 40+....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog day ground ball gets Teles

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jordon, K Turner, #46 (may be Coop

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 9th January 2023

    DEESPENCER'S TRAINING REPORT The 4 unsighted Kozzy, Petty, Hunter and Oliver . Lots of players in different numbers making it confusing. Brayshaw mostly doing some kick to kick and repeat jogging with Adams and Verrell. May and Harmes were in more drills then pulled out for light stuff. Burgoyne, Deak and Joel Smith on light duties. Joel did some solid repeat sprints. AMW on the watt bike. For a solid period they split in to 3 groups. Group A did a drill from the half fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...