Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2022 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

Having had a look at Cal Twomeys top 30 draft picks I’m a bit surprised that theees not more tall timber in the top 30. Wasn’t this draft called the land of giants?

Any of our posters who follow the draft closely know if some of the taller prospects have slipped down the pecking order? Will there be many talls available in the 2nd round?

Another question for our posters that are glued in on the talent in this years draft, any thoughts on a good lock down small/mid size defender 

We tried to move up the first round last year to pick up Wilmot and with the Pig getting towards the end but still our best lockdown defender I assume we will look to pick somebody up. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 1

Knightmare has put out a YouTube video where he goes through the draft prospects based on tier levels (alphabetically listed). Here are his top three tiers:-

Tier 1

Will Ashcroft 
Aaron Cadman 
Mattaes Phillipou 
Harry Sheezel
Elijah Tsatas
George Wardlaw 

Tier 2 

Jedd Busslinger 
Jhye Clarke 
Bailey Humphrey
Henry Hustwaite
Cam McKenzie

Tier 3

Jaxon Binns
Charlie Clarke
Alwyn Davey Jr
Adam D’Aloia
Blake Drury
Brayden George 
Reuben Ginbey
Lewis Hayes
Elijah Hewett
Oliver Hollands 
Olli Hotton 
Matthew Jefferson 
Isaac Keeler
Noah Long
Harry Rowston
Kobe Ryan
Jacob Ryan  
Mitch Szybkowski
Casey Voss

16 hours ago, Colm said:

Having had a look at Cal Twomeys top 30 draft picks I’m a bit surprised that theees not more tall timber in the top 30. Wasn’t this draft called the land of giants?

Any of our posters who follow the draft closely know if some of the taller prospects have slipped down the pecking order? Will there be many talls available in the 2nd round?

Another question for our posters that are glued in on the talent in this years draft, any thoughts on a good lock down small/mid size defender 

We tried to move up the first round last year to pick up Wilmot and with the Pig getting towards the end but still our best lockdown defender I assume we will look to pick somebody up. 

Colm, Josh Weddle is the best lockdown defender in the draft.  He can play on talls and smalls and is 192cm.  He's not your precision ball user off halfback or anything but I have him easily in my top 10 players in the draft.  His ability to play tall or small will be so valuable and offer so much flexibility for AFL backlines if he plays to my projection.  The one issue with him is that his form in some of the National Championships (one of his games up there with the best defensive games I've seen) has been a lot better than his NAB form.  But his team-play, one percenters, blocking et cetera is elite.  If I was to comparison him it would be a cross of James Frawley and Dale Morris.

Regarding the talls, South Australia was to be the source of the better ones, but they've fallen away a bit.  Harry Lemmey was highly touted going into the season as a Peter Wright type but is now playing his SA under 18 footy as a 200cm centre half back.  Tom Scully, also 200cm, has been a dominant goalkicker at the lowly SANFL under 18 level but is lightly-framed.  Interesting player because his contest stuff needs a lot of work but he's good around goals at ground level for a big guy.  Isaac Keeler is another 200cm South Australian.  Indigenous, with some X-factor and exciting ball-handling at times and has bulked up a fair bit through the season.  He's playing more and more ruck all the time and is the closest thing to Luke Jackson in the draft, but very raw and not as athletic.  Phoenix Foster has probably had the best championships of the Croweater talls, but is more of an undersized ruck than a forward.  They could all be around the 30 mark or lower, though with the scarcity of talls, some clubs may take a chance earlier on a Keeler or Scully, gambling on the upside and giving them some time.  Hard to know what to make of Lemmey, he was touted as a possible number one pick going into the season.  

I hadn't seen much of him before but Max Gruzewski looked very good in the recent Chargers v Dragons (basically the highest calibre under 18 match in the country).  He was more known as a defender going into the game but they swung him forward.  He is balanced and has a touch of class, but might be more of a third-tall type at 192cm.  He could got top 15 on that effort though.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @IvanBartul13for taking the time to compose such a wonderful and insightful response. It’s information and post like this that make Demonland such a great resource for people like myself who don’t have anywhere near that level of info or football knowledge. 
Sounds like there is some key forwards that we could take a punt on later in the draft. I had read a bit on Isaac Keeler and was wondering if it might be someone we are interested in. 
A lot will depend on how the LJ situation plays out but even if he stays I’d fully expect us to trade into the first round this year. If Jackson stays for another year or two I wonder if we might prioritise  a lockdown defender this draft and sort our tall stocks when we get our picks for Jackson. 
As always it will be an interesting trade and draft period and will be interesting to see who JT goes for. 
Thanks again for the insightful post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, Whispering_Jack said:

Bigfooty’s Davo-27 has updated his top 50 Rankings following the Academy game -

1. George Wardlaw - Oak - 182cm

2. Will Ashcroft - Sand - 180cm (Brisbane F/S?)

3. Jhye Clark - Geel - 180cm

4. Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 188cm

5. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist - 186cm

6. Adam D'Aloia - WWT - 181cm

7. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth - 197cm

8. Anthony Munkara - West Adel - 190cm (Essendon NGA?)

9. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm

10. Oliver Hollands - Murr - 183cm

11. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 186cm

12. Harry Sheezel - Sand - 184cm

13. Harry Lemmey - West Adel - 199cm

14. Luke Teal - Oak - 191cm

15. Olivier Northam - Geel - 195cm

16. Aaron Cadman - GWV - 194cm

17. Jackson Broadbent - Peel - 201cm

18. Kobe Ryan - West Adel - 183cm

19. Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 188cm

20. Brayden George - Murr - 185cm

21. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel - 197cm (Adelaide NGA?)

22. Henry Hustwaite - Dand - 194cm

23. Max Clohesy - Murr - 179cm

24. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 184cm

25. Jed Hagan - East Frem - 175cm

26. Seth Campbell - Tas - 182cm

27. Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 195cm

28. Kane Bevan - West Perth - 192cm

29. Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 185cm

30. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 184cm (Brisbane F/S +A)

31. Ted Clohesy - Geel - 182cm (Geelong NGA?)

32. Charlie Clarke - Sand - 182cm

33. Josh Weddle - Oak - 192cm

34. Max Michaelanny - Norw - 190cm (Adelaide F/S?)

35. Lewis Hayes - East - 197cm

36. Al Davey Jnr - Oak - 181cm (Essendon F/S)

37. Jaxon Binns - Dand - 182cm

38. Jonti Schuback - Gipps - 183cm

39. Rye Penny - Cald - 185cm

40. Luke Lawrence - GWS A - 183cm (GWS A)

41. James Van Es - GWV - 196cm

42. Cam MacKenzie - Sand - 187cm (St Kilda NGA?)

43. Blake Drury - Oak - 178cm

44. Will Dowling - Nth Adel - 187cm

45. Mattaes Phillipou - WWT - 188cm

46. Luke Michael - West Perth - 186cm

47. Cooper Harvey - North - 180cm (North Melbourne F/S)

48. Harry Barnett - West Adel - 202cm

49. Nick Madden - GWS A - 204cm (GWS A)

50. Steely Green - Sth Frem - 178cm

The question marks? In the case of father/sons, these won’t be confirmed until closer to the national draft. In the case of clubs outside the four “northern states”, they can not match bids for these players within the first 40 selections in the national draft.

Melbourne to get Time Scully

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

A new publication The Inner Sanctum has come up with its Top 30 Power Rankings for this month ~

AFL Draft 2022: Top 30 Power Rankings – September

Yes on reading they have quite good views and analysis. Thanks for the post WJ 

Morrish Medal 2022 results

Top 10

1: Taj Campbell-Farrell (Dandenong Stingrays) – 18 votes
1: Lachlan Cowan (Tasmania Devils) – 18 votes
3: Bailey Humphrey (Gippsland Power) – 17 votes
4: Will Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons) – 15 votes
5: Aaron Cadman (GWV Rebels) – 14 votes
6: Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers) – 12 votes
7: Massimo D’Ambrosio (Western Jets) – 10 votes
8: Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers) – 9 votes
8: Olivier Northam (Geelong Falcons) – 9 votes
8: Nicholas Quigg (Murray Bushrangers) – 9 votes

• Like 2

For our needs, it's Cadman or bust it seems.
Shame it's not a deep draft for tall forwards. Our KPF stocks are poor both in quality and quantity. Hopefully we get another highly talented one to pair with JVR longer term.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Team Ivan's top 50 with some thoughs on the top 10.  i'll hopefully do a mock draft once the order crystallises with more info on the top 50 and other prospects.

1. Elijah Tsatas - Oakleigh Chargers.
I think if the Dees somehow managed to get a very high pick, Tsatas could be a target.  He faded from view with injury before dominating in what is the best club-level under 18 game - Dragons v Chargers.  He's always been known as a very good rangy, high possession winning outside midfielder, but his ability to storm away from stoppage and deliver inside 50 in that game postmarked him as the ideal modern-day midfielder and in turn a number pick candidate.

1. Will Aschroft - Sandringham Dragons
There's not a huge reason to write much about Ashcroft as he is certainly off to the Lions with a matched pick one or two, but he's a prodigious ball winner who just keeps running to receive, is skilful and innovative.  The scary thing is his brother is looking to be a similar standard of prospect brewing for the Lions.  

1. George Wardlaw - Oakleigh Charger
It's hard to assess Wardlaw, as he's played so little footy and now has a worrisome recurrent hamstring injury tendency, but he was the standout in a rain-soaked Dragons v Chargers match early in the season.  He is tough, tackles, powers through stoppage and is neat and smart with his ball use.  This could basically be a Chris Judd/Joel Selwood situation whereby injury has masked what is the best player in the draft pool.
  1. Aaron Cadman - North Ballarat Rebels
Positional scarcity and positional value drives Cadman this high.  I've always felt and think was one of the first to suggest that it will be difficult for teams to pass him over and that he will go very, very high with all the topend-of-the-draft teams having a strong case to take him.  He wins in multiple ways, with him both leading well and also having an ever=improving one-on-one wrestling game.  The good thing about Cadman is he is not dead when the ball hits the ground, his tackle pursuit is often above-average for a player of his type and he is good below his knees.  A lot has been made of his goal-point ratio, but many of those missed shots are low-percentage snaps and ground-levelattempts.  The knock on him is actually there haven't been credible opponents for him to play on week to week.
  1. Harry Sheezel - Sandringham Dragons 
Sheezel is the fifth of five credible number one draft pick options in the draft and I wouldn't criticise any team for taking any of them or him.  Sheezel's issue is that he plays a role that is theoretically the least valuable from a list rebuilding perspective.  He's a highly talented, smooth moving and skilful medium marking half-forward, with a lovely kicking technique and ability to win one-out contests.   My only concern is I worry whether he can play as an inside midfielder.  He could easily vault to being the best player out of this draft if he can, but I have niggly doubts just about that.
  1.  Josh Weddle - Oakleigh Chargers
I think I have Weddle higher than anyone and just think he will make a long-term major difference to any teams back 6.  He can play on talls and smalls, has a terrific team-first attitude and just brings everything you want to the table - accountability, pace on the rebound, intercept marking and flexibility within a defensive grouping.  He does have some rough edges but is a terrific kid and whilst it won't happen, I wouldn't criticise a team taking him at one.  The ideal modern-day defender.

1. Bailey Humphrey - Gippsland Power
Anyone who saw his comeback game for a draft-prospect stacked Gippsland Power would have identified Humphrey as a very high draft pick candidate.  He started the game as a dominant leading forward before mixing in some minutes as a very good inside midfielder with cultured hands, the ability to break away from stoppage and a competitive edge.  Another who probably needs to add to some ball use polish to be considered an elite prospect, but as a midfielder who can seamlessly play as a deep leading forward or high half forward, he's an exciting prospect and I think at my seventh-ranked player he is the last player I can see teams aggressively trading up to get.

1. Jhye Clark - Geelong Falcons
I have no criticism of Clark, other than I worry he is too small to be a dominant midfielder sufficient to be taken higher.  He is however a very good ball winner, neat ball user and has the ability to float forward and be dangerous.  A very good well-rounded player but best fitting in with some big-bodied midfield support at the next level.

1. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth
Injury has scuppered the back end of Busslinger's season, so it will be interesting to see where he lands, but as a 195+ key back, he has the frame AFL clubs look for in key defenders and is a promising ball of clay for coaches to work with.  The exciting thing about Busslinger is that while he needs to bulk up to improve his competitiveness as a defender, he has a terrific sidestep for a player of his size and ilk and is able to seamlessly contribute to attacking ball-movement from the back half, a trait becoming more and more important as the year's roll on.

1. Elijah Hewitt - Subiaco
I've been critical of Hewitt but I think the move against him has been too drastic.  Hewitt is one of the high-risk kids in this draft.  He has the perfect physique for the modern midfielder and prototypical athletic traits.  Where it melts away to worrisomeness is there are question marks on his consistency and just his overall smarts and decision-making instincts.  It just seems like he needs that little bit of extra time to process the puzzles in front of him with ball in hand.  Still, he is dangerous in space, can take an overhead mark and has those great aforementioned physical traits to be good AFL inside mid.  Him being proven at WAFL senior level is another tick.  I just worry about the headless chookness and methinks that is why he falling out of number one pick contention.
  1. Mattaes Phillipou - Woodville/West Torrens - big bodied mid/marking forward 
  2. Cameron MacKenzie - Sandringham Dragons - well-rounded midfielder
  3. Jaspa Fletcher - Brisbane Academy - tall, balanced wingman/mid
  4. Alwyn Davey - Essendon father/son - skilful aboriginal high half-forward/wingman
  5. Max Gruzewski - Oakleigh Chargers - smooth moving third tall/swingman
  6. Henry Hustwaite - Dandenong Stingrays - I see him purely as a promising Ridley-like intercept defender/creator.  Others like him as a mid.  I do not.
  7. Lachie Cowan - Tassie Mariners - rangy and quick rebounding fourth defender.
  8. Reuben Ginbey - East Perth - big bodied inside mid/leader.  Can play back as well.  Clubs will see some Clarrie Oliver in him, very similar build, but Ginbey doesn't have Oliver's otherwordly feel for the game.
  9. Jacob Konstanty - Gippsland Power - skilful small forward, deceptively good in a contested.
  10. Isaac Keeler - North Adelaide -  tall indigenous ruck/forward.  Very raw but with intriguing ball skills.
  11. Oli Hotton - Sandringham Dragons - midfielder/flanker perhaps the best mark pound for pound in the draft, but inconsistent.
  12. Matthew Jefferson - Oakleigh Chargers - lightly framed key forward, will take a long time and I question the opponents he's been outwitting.
  13. Jaiden Magor - South Adelaide - two-sided and highly skilled x-factor medium forward.  Underexposed due to injury.
  14. Oliver Hollands - Murray Bushrangers - lightly-framed outside mid with tremendous running power
  15. Lewis Hayes - Eastern Rangers - spindly key back interceptor, Rangers trust him to kick in as well.
  16. Darcy Jones - Swan Districts - tiny helmeted small forward/rover, but he is skilful, quick and competitive
  17. Harry Barnett - West Adelaide - ruckman who is at his best flying for marks behind the ball. May convert into a key back. 
  18. Max Michalanney - Adelaide father-son - third defender who is good overhead and poised with ball in hand.
  19. Cooper Vickery - Gippsland Power - one of the best ground ball defenders in the draft and a heart and soul player but needs to tidy up his error rate.  I probably have him too high.
  20. Noah Long - Bendigo Pioneers - small high half-forward with a penetrating kick and a touch of class.
  21. Archie Lovelock - Glenelg - competitive two-sided and well-rounded midfield/small forward.
  22. Brayden George - Murray Bushrangers - Powerful mid-sized leading forward. Sadly done an ACL.
  23. Ed Allan - Claremont - son of Ben Allan - bid bodied half-back/CHB/inside midfielder having a dominant second half of the year post-injury.
  24. Sam Gilbey - Claremont  - rebounding half-back with silky footskills
  25. Coby Burgiel - Gippsland Power - hyper-versatile small runner.  Can play wing/half back/defensive forward.  Not flashy.
  26. Harry Lemmey - West Adelaide - man mountain struggled in the championships.  Mobility is a question mark but his actual football skills are very sound versus most his size.  Can play forward/ruck and back.
  27. Blake Drury - Oakleigh Chargers - some clubs will love him.  Small red-headed midfielder/crumber with a good all round game.
  28. Harry Rowston - GWS Academy - midfielder with a solid inside/out game.
  29. Jack O'Sullivan - Oakleigh Chargers - injury has marred his season but a skilful but slight midfielder/half-forward.  Clean/one-touch player.
  30. Harvey Gallagher - Bendigo Pioneers - top ager who has excelled as a defensive rebounder/kicker but also can play wing and half-forward.
  31. Tom Scully - West Adelaide - 200cm key forward who needs to work on his contested stuff but is good at ground level for his size and a good lead/finisher.
  32. Luke Teal - Oakleigh Chargers - rebounding defender with a good all-round game but missed a lot with injury.
  33. Adam D'aloia - Woodville- West Torrens - hard-working inside midfielder who grinds through games.
  34. Hugh Bond - GWV Rebels - inside ball-winner with good hands/plays like a leader.  Not used in his best role in the champs.
  35. Olivier Northam - Geelong Falcons - mulleted ruck/forward.   Very strong and competitive and with a basketball background.  Undersized probably to a be an AFL first ruck is the concern.
  36. Harry Cole - Claremont - had a very good championships.  Perm-haired medium forward.  Deceptively quick and good overhead. 
  37. Beau Tedcastle - GWV Rebels - will-o-the wisp half forward/goal sneak.  Very small and light but evasive.
  38. Jakob Ryan - Glenelg - half-back rebounder with very good agility/ball winning but needs to tidy up his distribution.
  39. Ryan Eyres - Murray Bushrangers - top ager has moved to defence and whilst he needs to learn  has shown excellent ground level skills for a 200cm big man.
  40. Seth Campbell - Tassie Mariners - been a bit disappointing but has shown flashes of star quality over the last 24 months as a game-breaking wing/half forward.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:

Here is Team Ivan's top 50 with some thoughs on the top 10.  i'll hopefully do a mock draft once the order crystallises with more info on the top 50 and other prospects.

1. Elijah Tsatas - Oakleigh Chargers.
I think if the Dees somehow managed to get a very high pick, Tsatas could be a target.  He faded from view with injury before dominating in what is the best club-level under 18 game - Dragons v Chargers.  He's always been known as a very good rangy, high possession winning outside midfielder, but his ability to storm away from stoppage and deliver inside 50 in that game postmarked him as the ideal modern-day midfielder and in turn a number pick candidate.

1. Will Aschroft - Sandringham Dragons
There's not a huge reason to write much about Ashcroft as he is certainly off to the Lions with a matched pick one or two, but he's a prodigious ball winner who just keeps running to receive, is skilful and innovative.  The scary thing is his brother is looking to be a similar standard of prospect brewing for the Lions.  

1. George Wardlaw - Oakleigh Charger
It's hard to assess Wardlaw, as he's played so little footy and now has a worrisome recurrent hamstring injury tendency, but he was the standout in a rain-soaked Dragons v Chargers match early in the season.  He is tough, tackles, powers through stoppage and is neat and smart with his ball use.  This could basically be a Chris Judd/Joel Selwood situation whereby injury has masked what is the best player in the draft pool.
  1. Aaron Cadman - North Ballarat Rebels
Positional scarcity and positional value drives Cadman this high.  I've always felt and think was one of the first to suggest that it will be difficult for teams to pass him over and that he will go very, very high with all the topend-of-the-draft teams having a strong case to take him.  He wins in multiple ways, with him both leading well and also having an ever=improving one-on-one wrestling game.  The good thing about Cadman is he is not dead when the ball hits the ground, his tackle pursuit is often above-average for a player of his type and he is good below his knees.  A lot has been made of his goal-point ratio, but many of those missed shots are low-percentage snaps and ground-levelattempts.  The knock on him is actually there haven't been credible opponents for him to play on week to week.
  1. Harry Sheezel - Sandringham Dragons 
Sheezel is the fifth of five credible number one draft pick options in the draft and I wouldn't criticise any team for taking any of them or him.  Sheezel's issue is that he plays a role that is theoretically the least valuable from a list rebuilding perspective.  He's a highly talented, smooth moving and skilful medium marking half-forward, with a lovely kicking technique and ability to win one-out contests.   My only concern is I worry whether he can play as an inside midfielder.  He could easily vault to being the best player out of this draft if he can, but I have niggly doubts just about that.
  1.  Josh Weddle - Oakleigh Chargers
I think I have Weddle higher than anyone and just think he will make a long-term major difference to any teams back 6.  He can play on talls and smalls, has a terrific team-first attitude and just brings everything you want to the table - accountability, pace on the rebound, intercept marking and flexibility within a defensive grouping.  He does have some rough edges but is a terrific kid and whilst it won't happen, I wouldn't criticise a team taking him at one.  The ideal modern-day defender.

1. Bailey Humphrey - Gippsland Power
Anyone who saw his comeback game for a draft-prospect stacked Gippsland Power would have identified Humphrey as a very high draft pick candidate.  He started the game as a dominant leading forward before mixing in some minutes as a very good inside midfielder with cultured hands, the ability to break away from stoppage and a competitive edge.  Another who probably needs to add to some ball use polish to be considered an elite prospect, but as a midfielder who can seamlessly play as a deep leading forward or high half forward, he's an exciting prospect and I think at my seventh-ranked player he is the last player I can see teams aggressively trading up to get.

1. Jhye Clark - Geelong Falcons
I have no criticism of Clark, other than I worry he is too small to be a dominant midfielder sufficient to be taken higher.  He is however a very good ball winner, neat ball user and has the ability to float forward and be dangerous.  A very good well-rounded player but best fitting in with some big-bodied midfield support at the next level.

1. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth
Injury has scuppered the back end of Busslinger's season, so it will be interesting to see where he lands, but as a 195+ key back, he has the frame AFL clubs look for in key defenders and is a promising ball of clay for coaches to work with.  The exciting thing about Busslinger is that while he needs to bulk up to improve his competitiveness as a defender, he has a terrific sidestep for a player of his size and ilk and is able to seamlessly contribute to attacking ball-movement from the back half, a trait becoming more and more important as the year's roll on.

1. Elijah Hewitt - Subiaco
I've been critical of Hewitt but I think the move against him has been too drastic.  Hewitt is one of the high-risk kids in this draft.  He has the perfect physique for the modern midfielder and prototypical athletic traits.  Where it melts away to worrisomeness is there are question marks on his consistency and just his overall smarts and decision-making instincts.  It just seems like he needs that little bit of extra time to process the puzzles in front of him with ball in hand.  Still, he is dangerous in space, can take an overhead mark and has those great aforementioned physical traits to be good AFL inside mid.  Him being proven at WAFL senior level is another tick.  I just worry about the headless chookness and methinks that is why he falling out of number one pick contention.
  1. Mattaes Phillipou - Woodville/West Torrens - big bodied mid/marking forward 
  2. Cameron MacKenzie - Sandringham Dragons - well-rounded midfielder
  3. Jaspa Fletcher - Brisbane Academy - tall, balanced wingman/mid
  4. Alwyn Davey - Essendon father/son - skilful aboriginal high half-forward/wingman
  5. Max Gruzewski - Oakleigh Chargers - smooth moving third tall/swingman
  6. Henry Hustwaite - Dandenong Stingrays - I see him purely as a promising Ridley-like intercept defender/creator.  Others like him as a mid.  I do not.
  7. Lachie Cowan - Tassie Mariners - rangy and quick rebounding fourth defender.
  8. Reuben Ginbey - East Perth - big bodied inside mid/leader.  Can play back as well.  Clubs will see some Clarrie Oliver in him, very similar build, but Ginbey doesn't have Oliver's otherwordly feel for the game.
  9. Jacob Konstanty - Gippsland Power - skilful small forward, deceptively good in a contested.
  10. Isaac Keeler - North Adelaide -  tall indigenous ruck/forward.  Very raw but with intriguing ball skills.
  11. Oli Hotton - Sandringham Dragons - midfielder/flanker perhaps the best mark pound for pound in the draft, but inconsistent.
  12. Matthew Jefferson - Oakleigh Chargers - lightly framed key forward, will take a long time and I question the opponents he's been outwitting.
  13. Jaiden Magor - South Adelaide - two-sided and highly skilled x-factor medium forward.  Underexposed due to injury.
  14. Oliver Hollands - Murray Bushrangers - lightly-framed outside mid with tremendous running power
  15. Lewis Hayes - Eastern Rangers - spindly key back interceptor, Rangers trust him to kick in as well.
  16. Darcy Jones - Swan Districts - tiny helmeted small forward/rover, but he is skilful, quick and competitive
  17. Harry Barnett - West Adelaide - ruckman who is at his best flying for marks behind the ball. May convert into a key back. 
  18. Max Michalanney - Adelaide father-son - third defender who is good overhead and poised with ball in hand.
  19. Cooper Vickery - Gippsland Power - one of the best ground ball defenders in the draft and a heart and soul player but needs to tidy up his error rate.  I probably have him too high.
  20. Noah Long - Bendigo Pioneers - small high half-forward with a penetrating kick and a touch of class.
  21. Archie Lovelock - Glenelg - competitive two-sided and well-rounded midfield/small forward.
  22. Brayden George - Murray Bushrangers - Powerful mid-sized leading forward. Sadly done an ACL.
  23. Ed Allan - Claremont - son of Ben Allan - bid bodied half-back/CHB/inside midfielder having a dominant second half of the year post-injury.
  24. Sam Gilbey - Claremont  - rebounding half-back with silky footskills
  25. Coby Burgiel - Gippsland Power - hyper-versatile small runner.  Can play wing/half back/defensive forward.  Not flashy.
  26. Harry Lemmey - West Adelaide - man mountain struggled in the championships.  Mobility is a question mark but his actual football skills are very sound versus most his size.  Can play forward/ruck and back.
  27. Blake Drury - Oakleigh Chargers - some clubs will love him.  Small red-headed midfielder/crumber with a good all round game.
  28. Harry Rowston - GWS Academy - midfielder with a solid inside/out game.
  29. Jack O'Sullivan - Oakleigh Chargers - injury has marred his season but a skilful but slight midfielder/half-forward.  Clean/one-touch player.
  30. Harvey Gallagher - Bendigo Pioneers - top ager who has excelled as a defensive rebounder/kicker but also can play wing and half-forward.
  31. Tom Scully - West Adelaide - 200cm key forward who needs to work on his contested stuff but is good at ground level for his size and a good lead/finisher.
  32. Luke Teal - Oakleigh Chargers - rebounding defender with a good all-round game but missed a lot with injury.
  33. Adam D'aloia - Woodville- West Torrens - hard-working inside midfielder who grinds through games.
  34. Hugh Bond - GWV Rebels - inside ball-winner with good hands/plays like a leader.  Not used in his best role in the champs.
  35. Olivier Northam - Geelong Falcons - mulleted ruck/forward.   Very strong and competitive and with a basketball background.  Undersized probably to a be an AFL first ruck is the concern.
  36. Harry Cole - Claremont - had a very good championships.  Perm-haired medium forward.  Deceptively quick and good overhead. 
  37. Beau Tedcastle - GWV Rebels - will-o-the wisp half forward/goal sneak.  Very small and light but evasive.
  38. Jakob Ryan - Glenelg - half-back rebounder with very good agility/ball winning but needs to tidy up his distribution.
  39. Ryan Eyres - Murray Bushrangers - top ager has moved to defence and whilst he needs to learn  has shown excellent ground level skills for a 200cm big man.
  40. Seth Campbell - Tassie Mariners - been a bit disappointing but has shown flashes of star quality over the last 24 months as a game-breaking wing/half forward.

Excellent. Tsatas was an early favourite going back well over a year and I have a feeling that his quality will show out on Thursday (I'm assuming he's fit and selected for the Vic Metro team).

My question to you is where would you like to see the MFC placed after trading Luke Jackson, any other trades and draft picks?

• Like 1

We don’t need any draft picks this year, as the experts have picked which players would suit which clubs and we appear to be the only club that wouldn’t be suited by any of the players.

Therefore we will make no selections on draft night. 

• Haha 3

Like to see the Dees look at Oliver Hollands as an early draft pick option (whilst Cadman and Humphrey would be preferred, they’re likely to go pick 2 and pick 7 respectively).
Hollands is an elite midfield runner with good skills. His delivery into forward50 during the Country v Metro game was impressive.  Could be available at around pick 12-14 which would be around the Freo traded pick. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
I
  • Like 2

Don't like to go early on draftees but Tsatas looks like a gamebreaker in the making. Has serious attributes that will help with the way the game is played currently with 6-6-6 etc and his breakaway speed and use from stoppage is to die for. Can see West Coast taking him .

• Like 1

Yep Tsatas looks like a future match winner with his blend of pace and ball winning. Sheezel looks a serious weapon in the front half too, piling on goals as a forward and also playing with impact through the midfield. If we were able to get a top 5 pick, you'd be happy with any of Cadman, Tsatas or Sheezel. All would make us more potent in the front half. Hopefully we can land a top 5 pick and snare one of them!

• Like 1

Here’s Cal Twomey. Things will start to get interesting with the Luke Jackson trade happening over the next week or so and though many favour using an early pick for a young key forward like Cadman, I agree with Ivan that Elijah Tsatas who has been a standout in junior ranks for a few  years already, is the one (given that Ashcroft is unattainable).

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' September ranking

• Like 1