Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2022 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

A 2023 potential father/son for us in Kynan Brown (son of Nathan) is named as an emergency for Oakleigh Chargers this week. He'll hopefully get some games this year as a bottom ager and would be doing well to do so considering the quality of that team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I searched high and low for details of the NAB Boys League opening round and finally found this ~ NAB League Boys 2022

One of the players highly touted as a possible #1 draft pick, George Wardlaw, kicked the first goal for the Oakleigh Chargers in their win over the Sandringham Dragons.

Oakleigh Chargers 4.4.28 6.8.44 11.11.77 11.15.81

Sandringham Dragons 0.3.3 5.4.34 6.6.42 9.9.63

Goals

Oakleigh Chargers Ingo Dammersmith, Blake Drury 3, Jerome Lawrence 2, Alwyn Davey, Matthew Jefferson, George Wardlaw

Sandringham Dragons Lachlan Benton 3, Jamie Hope, Ollie Hotton, Lachlan Lawrence, Cameron McKenzie, Elliot Perkins, Harry Sheezel.

Best 

Oakleigh Chargers George Wardlaw, Elijah Tsatas, Blake Drury, Player, Samuel Nehme, Alwyn Davey

Sandringham Dragons Lachlan Benton, Luca Macnab, Harry Sheezel, Max Ramsden, Archie Roberts, Cameron Mackenzie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I searched high and low for details of the NAB Boys League opening round and finally found this ~ NAB League Boys 2022

One of the players highly touted as a possible #1 draft pick, George Wardlaw, kicked the first goal for the Oakleigh Chargers in their win over the Sandringham Dragons.

Oakleigh Chargers 4.4.28 6.8.44 11.11.77 11.15.81

Sandringham Dragons 0.3.3 5.4.34 6.6.42 9.9.63

Goals

Oakleigh Chargers Ingo Dammersmith, Blake Drury 3, Jerome Lawrence 2, Alwyn Davey, Matthew Jefferson, George Wardlaw

Sandringham Dragons 

Lachlan Benton 3, Ollie Hotton, Lachlan Lawrence, Cameron McKenzie, Elliot Perkins, Harry Sheezel, Player #40

Best 

Oakleigh Chargers George Wardlaw, Elijah Tsatas, Blake Drury, Player, Samuel Nehme, Alwyn Davey

Sandringham Dragons Lachlan Benton, Luca Macnab, Harry Sheezel, Max Ramsden, Archie Roberts, Cameron Mackenzie

Jack, the NAB league app is running and much better than that page for player stats and stuff, although the player profile links and some other features are not functional yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:

Jack, the NAB league app is running and much better than that page for player stats and stuff, although the player profile links and some other features are not functional yet

Thanks Ivan,

I have the NAB League App but it seems to be fixating on the Womens NAB even when I change the tab from NAB League Girls to NAB League Boys :). I even managed to find the previously unidentified Dragons goalkicker as Jamie Hope (who I remember from the East Brighton Vampires).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Thanks Ivan,

I have the NAB League App but it seems to be fixating on the Womens NAB even when I change the tab from NAB League Girls to NAB League Boys :). I even managed to find the previously unidentified Dragons goalkicker as Jamie Hope (who I remember from the East Brighton Vampires).

Yeah, the user experience is shocking on the app, agree with you there.   But once your in the boys round of matches it's pretty good.  Hopefully they add some match replays, player profiles and player highlights packages as they had pre-covid.   The user experience across all of football is horrific.   Think I read Redleg was finding it hard to find the VFL stream the other day and it was buried in a strange way of getting to it.   Might be a controversial view, but I find the forced mixing of mens and womens in AFL content to be annoying as well,  I had a horrible time finding Goodys press conference the other day, buried behind content I have no interest in reading.

Edited by IvanBartul13
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, Elwood 3184 said:

Does anyone know about Melbourne’s NGA players for 2022?

I heard that we had another good NGA prospect coming through the ranks.

I know one NGA prospect for us is Finn Emille- -Brennan , not sure if he is this year or next. He made is debut for Dandenong Stingrays last weekend and had 30 touches. Smaller quick win/ flanker typer of player I believe. I played cricket with with him a few seasons back and he has been part of our NGA since about under 14s. really nice kid with the right attitude. 

Also I believe Mac Andrew's brother is part of our NGA , again not sure if he draft age this year ?  but I have heard he has some talent. 

Hopefully we have a few good NGA talents available to us in the next few years. Might be hard for all clubs if the AFL enforce the top 40 of the draft been unmatchable for bids on NGA players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DemonJack 14 said:

I know one NGA prospect for us is Finn Emille- -Brennan , not sure if he is this year or next. He made is debut for Dandenong Stingrays last weekend and had 30 touches. Smaller quick win/ flanker typer of player I believe. I played cricket with with him a few seasons back and he has been part of our NGA since about under 14s. really nice kid with the right attitude. 

Also I believe Mac Andrew's brother is part of our NGA , again not sure if he draft age this year ?  but I have heard he has some talent. 

Hopefully we have a few good NGA talents available to us in the next few years. Might be hard for all clubs if the AFL enforce the top 40 of the draft been unmatchable for bids on NGA players. 

Just made a thread about Finn before reading this. He's in this years draft and looks to have good skills and run from the backline based on what I've seen so far.

A recent Herald Sun article covers preseason testing of 2022 AFL Draft Prospects as follows:-

Yo Yo Test

22.3 Dillon Goss (Tasmania)

22.1 Mitchell Rowe (Sandringham Dragons) Brodie Hicks (Western Jets)

21.8 Hugh Bond (GWV Rebels) Josh Hamilton (Northern Knights) Jonathan Tomasiello (Northern Knights) Jaxon Binns (Dandenong Stingrays) Oliver Hollands (Murray Bushrangers) 

21.7 Harry Sheezel (Sandringham Dragons) Josh Weddle (Dandenong Stingrays)

20m Sprint

2.83 Rye Penny (Calder Cannons)

2.85 Coby Burgiel (Gippsland Power) 

2.87 Caleb Windsor (Eastern Ranges) Brodie Hicks (Western Jets)

2.88 Cooper Vickery (Gippsland Power)

2.89 Olli Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)

2.90 Matthew Payne (Western Jets) Levi Young (Murray Bushrangers)

2.91 Tyler Norton (Murray Bushrangers) Cam McKenzie (Sandringham Dragons)

Vertical Jump

89 Rye Penny (Calder Cannons)

83 George Wardlaw (Sandringham Dragons)

81 Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers) 

78 Levi Young (Murray Bushrangers) Harrison Hewitt (Murray Bushrangers) 

77 Max Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Shane Clough (Calder Cannons) 

76 Brayden George (Murray Bushrangers) Michael Ktona (Calder Cannons)

75 Olli Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)

Running Vertical Jump

109 Rye Penny (Calder Cannons)

101 George Wardlaw (Sandringham Dragons) Levi Young (Murray Bushrangers) Sam Houghton (Gippsland Power) 

97 Rhys Galvin (Gippsland Power)

96 Max Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Thomas Hamilton (Gippsland Power) Nicholas Watson (Eastern Ranges)

Agility

7.84 Cameron Kizan (Western Jets)

7.87 Hugo Nosiara (Dandenong Stingrays)

7.90 Matthew Payne (Western Jets)

7.91 Max Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) 

7.95 Connor Byrne (GWV Rebels) 

7.96 Callum Verell (Eastern Ranges) 

8.02 Vinnie Caia (Gippsland Power) Mason Helleran (Eastern Ranges) 

8.04 Beau Tedcastie (GWV Rebels)

8.05 Caleb Windsor (Eastern Ranges) 

• Like 2

The same article then goes on to provide pen pictures of the leading draft prospects from the NAB Boys League.

WILL ASHCROFT (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)

Midfielder, 180cm, 76kg 

Recruiters see Ashcroft as the “pick of the midfielders” in this year’s draft and an early frontrunner for the No. 1 pick if he was on the open market. A player without many deficiencies, Ashcroft is the son of three-time Brisbane premiership player Marcus and is father-son eligible to the Lions. However, he is now settled in Melbourne after spending his younger years on the Gold Coast and has so far made no decision on whether he will nominate for the Lions. Described as “a jet”, Ashcroft spent a month training with Brisbane during pre-season. Now studying at university, he will focus his efforts on playing for Sandringham Dragons in the NAB League this year. He looks up to Carlton’s Sam Walsh and is a player who can similarly have an impact on the inside and outside of the contest. Ashcroft starred with 33 disposals, 12 clearances and two goals for Vic Metro in its under-17s clash with Vic Country last year.

HARRY SHEEZEL (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)

Forward, 184cm, 77kg

A talented midfielder-forward who is athletic and possesses great footy smarts, recruiters are excited about what Sheezel can produce this year. He spent his whole junior career playing as an inside midfielder for AJAX and hoping to be the next Scott Pendlebury, but was moved forward in under-15s interleague to great effect and stayed there. Sheezel now looks up to Toby Greene and Josh Rachele and is a similarly damaging medium-sized forward who is a good mark, has great goal sense can hit the scoreboard. Sheezel kicked three goals and had two score assists from 13 disposals for Vic Metro in its under-17s clash with Vic Country last year and caught the eye with four goals in a pre-season NAB League practice match against Dandenong Stingrays. He also performed well in the Yo Yo test at the NAB League testing day in March, racking up a level 21.7 which ranked him equal-ninth overall.

GEORGE WARDLAW (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Midfielder, 182cm, 81kg

An inside-bull, Wardlaw has no shortage of admirers among recruiters and is tipped to be a high draft pick this year. A co-captain of Oakleigh last year, Wardlaw is a competitive beast who thrives on the contest and has clean hands in tight. He also has great workrate and loves to lay a tackle. Wardlaw logged 22 disposals, six clearances and seven tackles for Vic Metro in its under-17s clash with Vic Country last year to be the second-ranked player on the ground behind Will Ashcroft. The St Kevin’s College student tries to model his game on Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver, but is an Essendon fan who trained with Collingwood for a week in January as part of the AFL Academy program. He is a remarkably good jumper, having placed second in both the vertical jump and the running vertical jump at the NAB League testing day in March.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ELIJAH TSATAS (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Midfielder, 186cm, 79kg

An athletic midfielder with speed to burn, Tsatas has an ability to impact both on the inside of the contest and the outside. A co-captain of Oakleigh Chargers last year, the former Surrey Park junior has an athletics background and has competed in the 400m and 100m hurdles at national level. It was therefore little surprise that Tsatas finished equal-ninth in the running vertical jump at the NAB League testing day in March, clocking up a score of 93. Tsatas also has good foot skills and looks up to Greater Western Sydney’s Josh Kelly. He trained with Collingwood during January as part of the AFL Academy program, but is a Richmond fan who was in the stands for the Tigers’ drought-breaking premiership in 2017. Tsatas had 25 disposals, six marks, four score assists and kicked one goal for Vic Metro in its under-17s clash with Vic Country last year, finishing as the fourth-ranked player on the ground.

MATTHEW JEFFERSON (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Forward, 194cm, 79kg

One of the top key position prospects in this year’s draft pool, Jefferson is a lead-up key forward with the ability to take contested marks. A versatile player, Jefferson spent much of his juniors playing a 50-50 split between forward and back and would also have a run through the midfield at times. However, the Wesley College student now feels settled in attack and looks up to AFL players like brothers Max and Ben King and Essendon’s Harry Jones. A former under-16 Victorian championship winner in representative basketball for Waverley Falcons, Jefferson trained with Richmond during pre-season in January as part of the AFL Academy program.

ELIJAH HOLLANDS (MURRAY BUSHRANGERS)

Midfielder, 184cm, 71kg

Hollands’ football links run deep. His great-grandfather Martin Cross Snr played 36 games for Carlton in the 1960s, his father Ben played eight games for Richmond in 1999 and his older brother Elijah was a top-10 draft pick for Gold Coast Suns in 2020. Like Elijah, Oliver is now on track to be a first-round draft pick himself. Oliver grew up playing for the Wodonga Bulldogs and has gone through the Murray Bushrangers program but is now also playing school football in his third year boarding at Geelong Grammar. The Carlton supporter, who also has a soft spot for Gold Coast, trained with the Geelong during pre-season and is seen as a crafty midfielder with a good balance between his inside and outside game who has a big tank. He finished equal-fourth in the Yo Yo test at the NAB League testing day in March with a level of 21.8. Hollands had 23 disposals and three clearances for Vic Country in its under-17s clash with Vic Metro last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LUKE TEAL (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Defender, 188cm, 81kg

A talented halfback or wingman, the Oakleigh ace is the son of Robert Teal, who played 18 games for Sydney across the 1989 and 1990 seasons after being selected at pick 8 in the 1989 pre-season draft. Teal likes to attack the game with his run and carry and is good in the air with his ability to intercept mark or create a contest and bring the ball to ground. The Glen Iris junior is a Hawks fan who looked up to Luke Hodge, but has more recently tried to add elements of Western Bulldogs defender Bailey Dale to his own game. A student at Trinity Grammar, Teal trained with Richmond during pre-season as part of the AFL Academy program but was unable to be put through his paces at the NAB League testing day in March due to a slight ankle injury. Teal had 12 disposals, two marks and three spoils for Vic Metro in its under-17s clash with Vic Country last year.

JHYE CLARK (GEELONG FALCONS)

Midfielder, 181cm, 77kg

A hardworking midfielder with strong aerobic capacity, Clark is the son of well-known Geelong local footy coach Steve Clark. The Saint Ignatius College Geelong student thrives on the contest. He loves to win the hard ball and clearances in tight and is also a tackling machine. Clark looks up to Melbourne’s Christian Petracca and has been working to add more breakaway speed from the contest to his game over the off-season. Clark is also highly capable in the air with his marking ability. Clark was named Vic Country’s best player at last year’s under-17 championships and logged 17 disposals (10 contested), five clearances and four tackles against Vic Metro. He also played three games of senior football for Queenscliffe in the Bellarine Football League last year. The Collingwood supporter trained with Geelong during pre-season as part of the AFL Academy program.

MITCH SZYBKOWSKI (DANDENONG STINGRAYS) 

Midfielder, 186cm, 84kg

A big-bodied inside midfielder, Szybkowski is renowned for his hardworking attitude on the field and on the training track. A Beaconsfield junior, the Caulfield Grammar student is composed around stoppages and can use the ball well by hand of foot. Szybkowski is a Collingwood supporter and has long looked up to captain Scott Pendlebury. However, he trained with Melbourne during pre-season as part of the AFL Academy program and also took plenty away from watching the likes of Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca go about their work on the track. Szybkowski had 17 disposals and three clearances for Vic Country in its under-17s match with Vic Metro last year.

HARLEY REID (BENDIGO PIONEERS)

Forward, 185cm, 82cm

Recruiters are already getting excited about Reid, who is draft eligible next year but was included as a bottom-age player in this year’s AFL Academy program.

Reid is a tough midfielder-forward who hails from Tongala in the Goulburn Valley and attends school at St Joseph’s College in Echuca where he is in Year 11 this year

He has explosive pace, can take a contested mark and knows how to find the goals

Reid had 11 disposals (seven contested) and three tackles as a bottom-age player in Vic Country’s under-17s clash with Vic Metro last year and also impressed in five games for the Bendigo Pioneers in the NAB League. Reid is set to train with Carlton in April as part of the AFL Academy program.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2022 at 11:00 PM, Freddy Fuschia said:

One reason why there’s less discussion is that I believe Knightmare is no longer on ESPN’s books and is keeping a low profile this year. 

Apparently not just off ESPN’s books but it would also seem that he’s no longer the golden boy at bigfooty. Pity because it was always interesting to read his draft material and opinions until he started looking for clickbait with some controversial views. He’s now doing you tube videos and stuff. Although I disagreed with some of his output, I wish him luck in the future.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Whispering_Jack said:

West Adelaide’s Tom Scully continues to create excitement in the SANFL Under 18s. The tall key forward booted six goals at the weekend.

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/under-18s-match-report-round-2-2/

Dare I suggest … 

It's enough to make a ruckman spew!

• Vomit 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Whispering_Jack said:

West Adelaide’s Tom Scully continues to create excitement in the SANFL Under 18s. The tall key forward booted six goals at the weekend.

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/under-18s-match-report-round-2-2/

Dare I suggest … 

Surely he has a Dad called Phat Phil

On 4/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, Elwood 3184 said:

Does anyone know about Melbourne’s NGA players for 2022?

I heard that we had another good NGA prospect coming through the ranks.

Still enough time for the AFL to create another rule (maybe has visited Qld in some point in his life) where he now goes to Gold Coast Suns

The Early Top 40 from Davo-27 on bigfooty 

1. George Wardlaw - Oakleigh
2. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist
3. Elijah Tsatas - Oakleigh
4. Harry Lemmey - West Adel
5. Will Ashcroft - Sand
6. Adam D'Aloia - WWT
7. Olivier Northam - Geel
8. Aaron Cadman - GWV
9. Anthony Munkara - NT/West Adel
10. Matthew Jefferson - Oakleigh
11. Jhye Clark - Geel
12. Jackson Broadbent - Peel
13. Harry Sheezel - Sand
14. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel
15. Lachlan Cowan - Tas
16. Oliver Hollands - Murr
17. Kobe Ryan - West Adel
18. Kane Bevan - West Perth
19. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth
20. Ted Clohesy - Geel
21. Blake Drury - Oakleigh
22. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps
23. Charlie Clarke - Sand
24. Max Clohesy - Murr
25. Jed Hagan - East Frem
26. Max Michaelanny - Norw
27. Sam Gilbey - Clare
28. Josh Weddle - Oakleigh
29. Braden George - Murr
30. Seth Campbell - Tas
31. Paul Pascu - Cald
32. Luke Teal - Oakleigh
33. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A
34. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand
35. Jaxon Binns - Dand
36. Brady Wright - GWV
37. Matthaes Phillipou - WWT
38. Jonti Schuback - Gipps
39. Henry Hustwaite - Dand
40. Noah Long - Bend

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:20 AM, Whispering_Jack said:

Apparently not just off ESPN’s books but it would also seem that he’s no longer the golden boy at bigfooty. Pity because it was always interesting to read his draft material and opinions until he started looking for clickbait with some controversial views. He’s now doing you tube videos and stuff. Although I disagreed with some of his output, I wish him luck in the future.

Thanks to the poster who tipped me off that news of Chris Doerre’s demise from ESPN is premature. He’s very much ON the books and has just issued his AFL Draft - April's Power Rankings: Father-son prospect the early favourite for pick No. 1.

It’s a fair effort at first look but Elijah Tsatas is a better player than his power ranking of #10 suggests. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Thanks to the poster who tipped me off that news of Chris Doerre’s demise from ESPN is premature. He’s very much ON the books and has just issued his AFL Draft - April's Power Rankings: Father-son prospect the early favourite for pick No. 1.

It’s a fair effort at first look but Elijah Tsatas is a better player than his power ranking of #10 suggests. 

Oops. My bad - I must have been having a Knightmare.😀

Knightmare's demise from Bigfooty is of his own doing. He was initially warned for posting links to his ESPN Youtube channel, which the Mods eventually let slide. Then he had a link to a crypto investment advice business in his profile signature. That was the final straw for the Mods, and rightly so. They suspended his signature, but not his account. Knightmare cracked the sads, and won't be a major contributor.

I thought his draft rankings were a good read, but over the last 2 years he's never seen a live match, and yet is the self proclaimed Draft Expert. I think he drinks his own bathwater. 

• Like 3

I spent part of Good Friday at Trevor Barker Beach Oval watching the NAB League game between Sandringham Dragons and the GWS Academy. It was a spirited affair with the scores close all day. The home side drew away late with two goals  with a Giants goal on the final siren leaving them just 7 points adrift. It’s rather a pity that the NAB League has followed the lead of the VFL, VAFA and other leagues in no longer producing records with player numbers so forgive me in saying that the players who stood out to me happened to be the ones I already knew from the local junior competition. 

I expected Dragons’ midfielderWill Ashcroft to dominate and, after a slowish start, that’s exactly what he did with a sensational second half. He’s clean with the ball and delivers it beautifully. He’s a likely #1 draft pick and will no doubt make a decision between going to Brisbane (most likely) or the team that finishes last if they can make him a sweet enough offer. It’s unlikely that he’s going to be at Melbourne. 

I was part of a cheer squad for Harry Sheezel who played up forward and kicked four nice goals and could easily have finished with six. He was far too elusive for the Giants’ defenders and ran them a merry dance. He’s a medium size forward, elusive with great running patterns, is training with the Saints over the next couple of weeks and was definitely catching the eye of the AFL scouts who sat out on their deck chairs with pens and pads in hand. I noticed a few including Kelly O’Donnell. Another slippery character was Charlie Clarke who burst in and out of play causing chaos from time to time. 

The nature of the NAB League tends to result in players resorting to individual efforts. That comment doesn’t apply to the ones I mentioned above, but I did notice a few selfish pieces of play that will no doubt be picked up by coaches for those who might find themselves lucky enough to be drafted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2