Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Welcome to Demonland: Jacob Van Rooyen


MadAsHell
 Share


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rjay said:

I wouldn't discount it either.

Taylor took him with our first round pick, we don't use that pick for development players.

I trust his acumen over some knightmare.

I hope JVR is pushing for it...really pushing for it.

He  must have the competitive spirit to say stuff that, I didn't come here to play at Casey...

If he's waiting to be developed then we got the wrong man.

Sam Weidemann? Would also argue that Pickett and Jackson were both drafted as development players that exceeded expectations early on. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Deefiant said:

Sam Weidemann? Would also argue that Pickett and Jackson were both drafted as development players that exceeded expectations early on. 

Nup...there was always a lot of upside in both Pickett and Jackson for sure and there still is, but they were expected to play early on and did.

They were not picked as "development" players.

Weid I reckon backs up my position...he hasn't wanted it enough and has spent way to much time in "development"...

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, The Jackson 6 said:

Possible Knightmare has never actually seen him play… wouldn’t be the first time he’s had an opinion on a player he’s never seen

Correct. I found Knightmare's Draft analysis interesting in the past, but he wouldn't have seen any of the draftees play live for the past 2 years, so I now take his opinion with a grain of salt. 

One just has to look at what is happening with Covid in the AFLW to realise that it's inevitable that a majority of the list may get a run this year.

I reckon that JVR and Weid are on equal footing. If injuries or form hit T Mac and BB, form at Casey will determine who gets the nod.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, whatwhat say what said:

is he a titch 'small' for a modern key position tall? they're more and more around the 200cm mark...

Shall we call him "Titch" then?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rjay said:

Nup...there was always a lot of upside in both Pickett and Jackson for sure and there still is, but they were expected to play early on and did.

They were not picked as "development" players.

Weid I reckon backs up my position...he hasn't wanted it enough and has spent way to much time in "development"...

Bit of recency bias here. Pickett was picked up as a small forward that had knocks on him that he had x factor but would drift in and out of games, he's first pre season was also struggled with fitness. Jackson was a raw athletic ruck that, who Jason Taylor who thought could be thrown forward.

The fact that they developed more than we thought doesn't mean they weren't development players. In fact Rivers was probably the player who needed least development. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, faultydet said:

People who go up one handed are often protecting themselves.

I didn't think it was that impressive at all to be honest. A bit like the Jack Watts goal early on at Casey that fluked through and people immediately thought we had a freak goal kicker on the list.

Looks a good size though. 

You do know a lot of the forwards practice the one hander when they're caught out of position? No, didn't know? I'm not trying to be an ah but it is the difference between un-informed comment from afar vs being able to attend training and directly observe what the players are practicing. Not saying JVR was out there practicing that but he certainly wasn't trying to "protect" himself. I also don't believe the coaching staff will be trying to discourage what he did.

Edited by dworship
further and better particulars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dworship said:

 I also don't believe the coaching staff will be trying to discourage what he did.

Discourage X factor? A large dose of X factor took us from 19 points down to stunned and demoralised oppo in 10 minutes of football.

Worker ants like ANB, Harmes, Spargo, are well and good (not discounting Harmes' little bit of X to start the riot) and every team needs them, but they don't give you bang bang bang to destroy a good team.

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Bit of recency bias here. Pickett was picked up as a small forward that had knocks on him that he had x factor but would drift in and out of games, he's first pre season was also struggled with fitness. Jackson was a raw athletic ruck that, who Jason Taylor who thought could be thrown forward.

The fact that they developed more than we thought doesn't mean they weren't development players. In fact Rivers was probably the player who needed least development. 

Not according to Darren Burgess. When asked on the Gus and Gawny podcast "who surprised you with their fitness when you started", Burgess mentioned that Pickett's endurance in addition to his speed was high level. So I'm not sure where you got that from.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, The Jackson 6 said:

Possible Knightmare has never actually seen him play… wouldn’t be the first time he’s had an opinion on a player he’s never seen

Ha ha Knightmare. Wasn’t he the one who argued that Luke Jackson didn’t deserve to be picked as high as number 3 in his draft?

😀

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

Ha ha Knightmare. Wasn’t he the one who argued that Luke Jackson didn’t deserve to be picked as high as number 3 in his draft?

😀

Yep, said Jackson was a second rounder!

Actually, he has made some horrible calls over the years. Didn't rate Oliver, Pickett was too high, compared Salem to a slow plodder, etc.

Because he spends so much time on drafting, people assume he knows what he is talking about. However, his assessment of talent and feel for the game are terrible.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading some of Knightmare's rankings on previous drafts, he never seems to like taking risks. He is not alone in that regard. And he is a pundit, not an experienced recruiter with access to a lot more information.

So a large majority of his top dozen or so picks in every draft are midfielders. He hardly ever sees a key position player, ruckman or small forward as worthy of top-10. Maybe he thinks of Brownlow medal votes, or he's been burnt by previous experience, as we all have. 

Hence he thought Jackson at 3 and Pickett at 12 were "reaches". He thought Green would be a far better pick than Jackson, and preferred Weightman over Pickett, listing "marking superiority" as a reason.

The problem with never taking risks is that you are always "safe". Being "safe" can mean that you miss out of the players that will make a dynamic difference to your side, if the other building blocks (e.g. power midfielders) are well in place.

In the 2019 draft, Melbourne didn't pick one midfielder. And what a draft it was!

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Reading some of Knightmare's rankings on previous drafts, he never seems to like taking risks. He is not alone in that regard. And he is a pundit, not an experienced recruiter with access to a lot more information.

So a large majority of his top dozen or so picks in every draft are midfielders. He hardly ever sees a key position player, ruckman or small forward as worthy of top-10. Maybe he thinks of Brownlow medal votes, or he's been burnt by previous experience, as we all have. 

Hence he thought Jackson at 3 and Pickett at 12 were "reaches". He thought Green would be a far better pick than Jackson, and preferred Weightman over Pickett, listing "marking superiority" as a reason.

The problem with never taking risks is that you are always "safe". Being "safe" can mean that you miss out of the players that will make a dynamic difference to your side, if the other building blocks (e.g. power midfielders) are well in place.

Well, if memory serves me correctly, he swooned about one ruck/KPP last year and probably thinks he was vindicated when that player was picked at 5. Wonder if that bloke’s training the house down at Carrara and whether, like Dogga, he’ll be a premiership ruckman by the end of his second season on an AFL list?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dworship said:

You do know a lot of the forwards practice the one hander when they're caught out of position? No, didn't know? I'm not trying to be an ah but it is the difference between un-informed comment from afar vs being able to attend training and directly observe what the players are practicing. Not saying JVR was out there practicing that but he certainly wasn't trying to "protect" himself. I also don't believe the coaching staff will be trying to discourage what he did.

The post from the MFC was swooning over his one handed mark. I simply didn't think it was anything remarkable.

Fair dinkum, some of you get hysterical when someone douses your flames.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

The post from the MFC was swooning over his one handed mark. I simply didn't think it was anything remarkable.

Fair dinkum, some of you get hysterical when someone douses your flames.

 

Yeah, nah. The one handed mark was nice and deserved some kudos but the thing about him that’s impressed me is his record over a few seasons and his performances that we were able to witness over a few WAFL Colts and WA representative games. We all acknowledge that he has a fair way to go. The beauty is that at Melbourne in 2022, his chances of getting a well rounded football grounding are so much better than the chances Jack Watts had 12 or 13 years ago.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Reading some of Knightmare's rankings on previous drafts, he never seems to like taking risks. He is not alone in that regard. And he is a pundit, not an experienced recruiter with access to a lot more information.

So a large majority of his top dozen or so picks in every draft are midfielders. He hardly ever sees a key position player, ruckman or small forward as worthy of top-10. Maybe he thinks of Brownlow medal votes, or he's been burnt by previous experience, as we all have. 

Hence he thought Jackson at 3 and Pickett at 12 were "reaches". He thought Green would be a far better pick than Jackson, and preferred Weightman over Pickett, listing "marking superiority" as a reason.

The problem with never taking risks is that you are always "safe". Being "safe" can mean that you miss out of the players that will make a dynamic difference to your side, if the other building blocks (e.g. power midfielders) are well in place.

In the 2019 draft, Melbourne didn't pick one midfielder. And what a draft it was!

Knightmare article rating 2019 draft choices (dated 29/11/2019):

Melbourne

Traded wisely and secured value in their trade with Fremantle. The move back allowed Melbourne to add pick 28 and a future fourth round pick without a meaningful move back down the order from pick 8 to 10. While Melbourne's trade looks on paper like value was acquired, their first two picks of ruckman Luke Jackson and small forward pressure specialist Kysaiah Pickett are arguably reaches. Jackson, a sub 200cm ruckman is athletic, plays with aggression and follows up well but was arguably not the best available player. Similarly, Pickett while the forward pressure he applies is of a best in draft standard and he has speed and is damaging with ball in hand, his low scoreboard impact and product makes him a difficult sell so early on. Trent Rivers, who Melbourne secured thanks to their trade with Fremantle represents strong value at what after bidding became pick 32. Rivers is a classy ball user off half-back who moves well and can push through the midfield as a ball winner.

Grade: C

Collingwood

Improved their draft hand slightly in the latter half of the draft to increase their involvement without losing a lot. Jay Rantall represents strong value as a basketball convert with elite endurance who does his best work inside winning the contested ball, distributing by hand and moving through traffic. Oakleigh premiership captain Trent Bianco is a second selection who represents strong value as one of the best kicks in the draft and the most advanced outside player in the pool. Trey Ruscoe at 192cm with his versatility to play defence, midfield or forward, is a third solid selection with his skills, mobility, ball winning capabilities and the way he reads the ball in flight and takes marks. Though the question of whether Collingwood should have retained pick 51 to draft key forward Jake Riccardi rather than trade it to GWS who used the pick to draft the VFL's Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal is a question that will be asked given Collingwood's lacking key position stocks.

Grade: A

Note: Rantall has already been delisted

Edited by adonski
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 11
  • Facepalm 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Yeah, nah. The one handed mark was nice and deserved some kudos but the thing about him that’s impressed me is his record over a few seasons and his performances that we were able to witness over a few WAFL Colts and WA representative games. We all acknowledge that he has a fair way to go. The beauty is that at Melbourne in 2022, his chances of getting a well rounded football grounding are so much better than the chances Jack Watts had 12 or 13 years ago.

*sigh*

 

I commented on ONE Mark, not his entire career.

He might be a champ. Let's hope he is. But I did not write him off over a single mark at training.

 

Why can't people see that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, faultydet said:

The post from the MFC was swooning over his one handed mark. I simply didn't think it was anything remarkable.

Fair dinkum, some of you get hysterical when someone douses your flames.

 

Misfire, wait 20mins next time.

Fair dinkum, you get hysterical when someone douses your flames.

Edited by dworship
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Knightmare article rating 2019 draft choices (dated 29/11/2019):

Melbourne

Traded wisely and secured value in their trade with Fremantle. The move back allowed Melbourne to add pick 28 and a future fourth round pick without a meaningful move back down the order from pick 8 to 10. While Melbourne's trade looks on paper like value was acquired, their first two picks of ruckman Luke Jackson and small forward pressure specialist Kysaiah Pickett are arguably reaches. Jackson, a sub 200cm ruckman is athletic, plays with aggression and follows up well but was arguably not the best available player. Similarly, Pickett while the forward pressure he applies is of a best in draft standard and he has speed and is damaging with ball in hand, his low scoreboard impact and product makes him a difficult sell so early on. Trent Rivers, who Melbourne secured thanks to their trade with Fremantle represents strong value at what after bidding became pick 32. Rivers is a classy ball user off half-back who moves well and can push through the midfield as a ball winner.

Grade: C

Collingwood

Improved their draft hand slightly in the latter half of the draft to increase their involvement without losing a lot. Jay Rantall represents strong value as a basketball convert with elite endurance who does his best work inside winning the contested ball, distributing by hand and moving through traffic. Oakleigh premiership captain Trent Bianco is a second selection who represents strong value as one of the best kicks in the draft and the most advanced outside player in the pool. Trey Ruscoe at 192cm with his versatility to play defence, midfield or forward, is a third solid selection with his skills, mobility, ball winning capabilities and the way he reads the ball in flight and takes marks. Though the question of whether Collingwood should have retained pick 51 to draft key forward Jake Riccardi rather than trade it to GWS who used the pick to draft the VFL's Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal is a question that will be asked given Collingwood's lacking key position stocks.

Grade: A

Note: Rantall has already been delisted

Would it be a wild guess to suggest that this Knightmare is a Collingwood fan?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, rjay said:

Nup...there was always a lot of upside in both Pickett and Jackson for sure and there still is, but they were expected to play early on and did.

They were not picked as "development" players.

Weid I reckon backs up my position...he hasn't wanted it enough and has spent way to much time in "development"...

Jackson is a remarkable athlete and also capable of playing a role for which he was the standout option very early on really. Being able to hold up in the ruck in year and even more so in year 2 meant he was just about a lock in the side and could play quiet games.

Further to that if the draft is a Bell curve then JVR at pick 19 is really miles from Jackson at pick 3 and somewhere between Weid, Pickett and Bowey, Laurie, Spargo, Sparrow, Rivers, JJ and even Petty.

Of all those players he might remind me most of a key forward version of Sparrow. Athletic, decent build, likely to have a crack, but with a fair amount of development work to really contribute and find a role behind a  number of strong team mates. 

But there's a range of options from Bowey's flag in 7 games to someone like Spargo. Making a real difference in year 1 as a skinny kid but taking unitl year 4 to really put it together consistently. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, adonski said:

Knightmare article rating 2019 draft choices (dated 29/11/2019):

Melbourne

Traded wisely and secured value in their trade with Fremantle. The move back allowed Melbourne to add pick 28 and a future fourth round pick without a meaningful move back down the order from pick 8 to 10. While Melbourne's trade looks on paper like value was acquired, their first two picks of ruckman Luke Jackson and small forward pressure specialist Kysaiah Pickett are arguably reaches. Jackson, a sub 200cm ruckman is athletic, plays with aggression and follows up well but was arguably not the best available player. Similarly, Pickett while the forward pressure he applies is of a best in draft standard and he has speed and is damaging with ball in hand, his low scoreboard impact and product makes him a difficult sell so early on. Trent Rivers, who Melbourne secured thanks to their trade with Fremantle represents strong value at what after bidding became pick 32. Rivers is a classy ball user off half-back who moves well and can push through the midfield as a ball winner.

Grade: C

Collingwood

Improved their draft hand slightly in the latter half of the draft to increase their involvement without losing a lot. Jay Rantall represents strong value as a basketball convert with elite endurance who does his best work inside winning the contested ball, distributing by hand and moving through traffic. Oakleigh premiership captain Trent Bianco is a second selection who represents strong value as one of the best kicks in the draft and the most advanced outside player in the pool. Trey Ruscoe at 192cm with his versatility to play defence, midfield or forward, is a third solid selection with his skills, mobility, ball winning capabilities and the way he reads the ball in flight and takes marks. Though the question of whether Collingwood should have retained pick 51 to draft key forward Jake Riccardi rather than trade it to GWS who used the pick to draft the VFL's Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal is a question that will be asked given Collingwood's lacking key position stocks.

Grade: A

Note: Rantall has already been delisted

As recently as 12 months ago he was still banging on about the fact he was miffed Melbourne didn’t call out Tom Green’s name on the night.  HE WASNT AVAILABLE TO US YOU TALENTLESS CLOWN.

  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NIGHTMARES OF NARRM by Whispering Jack

    Narrm Time has arrived in our city as the Melbourne Football Club takes the name Narrm Football Club as part of the 2022 AFL Sir Doug Nicholls Round. This week will see the reigning premier pay respect to the region the club calls home — the land of the Wurundjeri people and their culture, language and memory. The team will wear its indigenous guernsey designed by Wurundjeri/Dja Dja Wurrung artist Ky-ya Nicholson Ward and what better way to wear it than with a win over North Melbourne Football C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WESTERN SUNSET by George on the Outer

    It was the top of the table Demons who inflicted their highest ever defeat of the Eagles, thereby ensuring that the sun has finally set on their long dynasty out West.  The final margin was 74 points but it was the final quarter barrage of seven goals which definitively signalled to the meagre West Coast opposition and supporters exactly who was in control.  That was after a similar six goal to one opening quarter, but hey … why not boo and complain about every decision that went aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ON THE RAMPAGE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons had it easy on a windy day under sunny skies at the home of the VFL Kangaroos at Arden Street on Sunday. They caught the hapless Roos who were badly depleted by injury on the hop and disposed of them with little trouble. It was the second time in consecutive seasons that Casey inflicted a 100 plus points defeat on the Roos who had no answers for an opponent on the rampage. When the game started, Casey was without three important forward line components in Mitch Brown, Ka

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RISING TO PHOENIX by William from West Perth

    On Sunday, when the Melbourne Football Club returns to the scene of the club’s most famous victory of the 21st Century, the feeling out there on the ground will most certainly be different. The dying moments of the night of 25 September, 2021 at Optus Stadium marked a team rising to the level of a Phoenix, bathing in the cheers and adulation from an adoring crowd in the wake of their premiership victory after so many years of hardship and desolation. This time around they can expect a main

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TO THE SWORD by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons closed off their game against the Southport Sharks with a comfortable 30-point win off the back of a monster six goal opening term in which they put the Southport Sharks to the sword and kept them scoreless.  Despite losing Toby Bedford to AFL medical sub duty, Majak Daw and Bailey Laurie, the Demons still fielded a strong list of 13 MFC players and also managed to blood two more local newcomers in Tyler Edwards and Tom Macrae after adding four debutants last week. The Shar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NO HEAVEN FOR SAINTS by George on the Outer

    Just when St.Kilda thought it was heading toward Saintly Heaven in Season 2022, it was brought crashing to earth quickly by the ruthless Demons machine. It wasn’t a long drawn out process before the Saints discovered how fragile they were. The Demons simply took the game apart in the first quarter piling on four goals against a paltry three  behinds. Even when Membrey was going to score a major right on the ¼ time bell from 15m out in front, he failed to bypass the outstretched hands of Har

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COVID PROOF FENCE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne fans breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday when their team managed to beat Hawthorn and the Covid19 outbreak that left it without coach Simon Goodwin and five premiership players – Luke Jackson, Kysaiah Pickett, Tom Sparrow, Harrison Petty and Alex Neal-Bullen. The 10-point win was meritorious not just because the Demons overcame the loss of the coach and key players but also due to the way in which they survived the tension surrounding the club in the 72 hours leading up to the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    YIPS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a bout of goal kicking yips and a last quarter Box Hill Hawks comeback to record a thrilling 7 point away from home victory on Sunday. With senior affiliate Melbourne fighting a Covid breakout and some injury concerns to their listed players, Casey turned to youth and called up locals Zac Andrewartha, Matthew Johnson and Harvey Neocleous to join Matt Buntine, a local product who was part of the inaugural GWS Giants list.  The team made a slow start but took co

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEPLETED NOT DEFEATED by George on the Outer

    With Covid 19 ravaging the club, forcing the absence of five players from last week and some more premiership players still sidelined or returning after isolating, it was certainly a depleted Melbourne side that turned up to front Hawthorn in their Round 7 match up at the MCG. Normally, when a team loses ¼ of its soldiers, you would expect a less than favourable result but after the Hawks opened up a 2 goal lead in the opening minutes (and indeed, it could have been more) the Demon machine

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NO COMEBACKS by The Oracle

    Q:  How do the Hawks come back after being 32-0 early, leading at every interval and then conceding nine goals in the last quarter to lose to the Swans by 41 points in the comfort and safety of their second home down in Launceston? A:  If they’re playing the Demons at the G off a five-day break, there are no comebacks. They simply won’t come back! That’s the short form preview of the Melbourne v Hawthorn match up at the Home of Football this weekend. That is not to dismiss the you

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...