Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Welcome to Demonland: Jacob Van Rooyen


MadAsHell
 Share


Recommended Posts

On 10/19/2021 at 9:02 PM, faultydet said:

Anyone who reminds you of Jack Watts would not get close to being drafted by the current Melbourne organisation. He had minimal physical presence in the air for a 195 odd cm tall. We don't draft players like that now.

And Fritta has  tackled since Day 1?

What about looking at what the players possess and can learn? Ie tackling 

All his highlights show his (JVR) competitive instincts IMO. Just his physique and lankiness is similar to Wattsy.

Jacks draft highlight reel showed ability to mark overhead but he was not able to compete regularly as a key position player in our teams from 2010 - 16 but his skill was more evident as we improved as a team in 2017. Reckon JW would have been a handful in Fritta's position now with our big forwards around. Yes he would have learned to tackle and compete harder as Fritta has done over the 4 years. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/8/2021 at 8:51 AM, whatwhat say what said:

is he a titch 'small' for a modern key position tall? they're more and more around the 200cm mark...

NO because there are positions for 1,2 and 3 talls!!! All are not 200cms so stop looking for fanciful reasons not to draft players. 
Look at his marking in the highlight reels and his record in Colts snd in 5 Claremont games. He is a competitor with a marking habit of stretching his arms like BBB does above the pack.

Also  he takes congested marks and is good in one on one tussles.

I am exhausted thinking how good this "small" tall can be for us in defence or attack.

Height is not the only measurement in footy as Mason Cox has found. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s pretty much the same height and weight as Aaron Naughton who slipped into the Bulldogs team and was almost immediately a regular in defence before establishing himself in attack after a couple of seasons. I’m not suggesting that will happen with Van Rooyen at Melbourne because, as reigning premier, we’ll be a hard team to break into but he does have senior WAFL experience and performed well for the Colts and WA State Under 19s when he returned from glandular fever. 

We’re lucky to be in a position to give such players a good grounding at Casey first.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What number is Van Rooyen? I expect it's 21 I think Woewodin is 40 on the training video. Don't know McVee's number either. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mach5 said:

With May clocking the big 3-0 and his propensity for pinging hamburgers, I could see JVR spending time down back before getting a go in our forward line.

Would have thought we've got more depth there to cover injuries than up forward - eg Petty / Thomlinson and then Smith (can play tall or small) and Disco. 

Having said that I think you're right - often young key forwards start in defence so they don't get smashed by a bigger key defender each week and they can focus on beating their opponent and reading the play.

I wonder how long it takes for a young player to come in and learn the structure / game plan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

Would have thought we've got more depth there to cover injuries than up forward - eg Petty / Thomlinson and then Smith (can play tall or small) and Disco. 

Having said that I think you're right - often young key forwards start in defence so they don't get smashed by a bigger key defender each week and they can focus on beating their opponent and reading the play.

I wonder how long it takes for a young player to come in and learn the structure / game plan.

Ok you got me. Who is Disco?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I fully expect someone to come on here and criticise him for going one-handed.

(And I have someone specific in mind who I choose not to name.)

Sometimes you have to go one handed to get that extra little bit of height to control the ball. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember seeing Clarry pick the ball up one handed in a pack very early in his career and I was pleasantly surprised how easy he made it look. I think that JVR is showing that he is a level above the rest a bit more special.!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I fully expect someone to come on here and criticise him for going one-handed.

(And I have someone specific in mind who I choose not to name.)

People who go up one handed are often protecting themselves.

I didn't think it was that impressive at all to be honest. A bit like the Jack Watts goal early on at Casey that fluked through and people immediately thought we had a freak goal kicker on the list.

Looks a good size though. 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, faultydet said:

People who go up one handed are often protecting themselves.

I didn't think it was that impressive at all to be honest. A bit like the Jack Watts goal early on at Casey that fluked through and people immediately thought we had a freak goal kicker on the list.

Looks a good size though. 

If you watch he is really the only one who kept his eyes on the ball and in between three others ho got one hand on the ball and bought it to the other to complete a very good mark.

Not impressive well if you look at JVR's highlight reels don't be surprised about his excellent marking contested and the height he attains in jumping.

Very similar to BBB when he extends his arms straight up and is far too tall for the pack or his opponent.

His GF and 2021 season highlights prove how valuable he was in transforming our firward line to the multi dimensional unit it developed into during the last few games and of course during the Finals.

On the contrary I believe JVR showed in this clip IMO what a special talent he has ie marking  and I believe he is destined to become a very special forward ( or defender at times) for us for the next decade or more.

Go to just highlight reels and he is an excellent marker of the ball one on one or contested in a pack and also on the lead.

He may even be our first 100 goal forward No pressure Jacob.

Could have  been one of Bruce McAveneys "special" players I reckon.

Msybe he will just go bang bang bang etc. for us!!! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bigfooty’s Knightmare believes that JVR is a long term project ~

“With Melbourne's player development and all things firing though - from coach/veteran leadership/buy-in from the playing group, JVR can be a good piece in a few years if developed in defence.”

“He's not going to play in 2022, and maybe not 2023 either.”

I responded by agreeing that there’s no hurry to push him into an AFL debut given that he’s at the premiership club but pointed out that he’s physically ready to play against men. Which is what he has already done at WAFL level early in 2021 when he played 5 senior games with Claremont before succumbing to glandular fever. He also kicked plenty of goals for their Colts and the WA Under 19 championships later in the season.  This didn’t dissuade Knightmare who answered:-

“JVR was great during the U19 Champs in defence and was capable v Colts opposition but struggled in the WAFL at League level and showed he isn't ready to play against AFL opposition. There is a difference between playing at a level and playing well. 

I fully expect Melbourne's at the moment superior player development and everything that factors into it will help fast-track JVR in his development comparative to if he landed with another club, but he's not going to have an Aaron Naughton kind of first season as a point of comparison.”

It’s an interesting debate. I see JVR as a future KPF and a likely replacement for the current key forward incumbents. He should be a fixture at Casey this year but the way things are going with Omnicron, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of seeing him at AFL level in 2022.

From all reports, JVR’s efforts at WAFL Senior level were reasonable. He was impressive on debut with two goals and was affected by tonsillitis and glandular fever in his next couple of games but still contributed. He came back after missing several weeks and kicked just one goal but wasn’t 100% in his fifth and final senior game. He then went on to kick a bag of goals in the WAFL Colts and the WA Under 19s and also showed in one or two games that he can be handy in a key defensive position. We have a handy, versatile prospect on our hands.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Bigfooty’s Knightmare believes that JVR is a long term project ~

“With Melbourne's player development and all things firing though - from coach/veteran leadership/buy-in from the playing group, JVR can be a good piece in a few years if developed in defence.”

“He's not going to play in 2022, and maybe not 2023 either.”

I responded by agreeing that there’s no hurry to push him into an AFL debut given that he’s at the premiership club but pointed out that he’s physically ready to play against men. Which is what he has already done at WAFL level early in 2021 when he played 5 senior games with Claremont before succumbing to glandular fever. He also kicked plenty of goals for their Colts and the WA Under 19 championships later in the season.  This didn’t dissuade Knightmare who answered:-

“JVR was great during the U19 Champs in defence and was capable v Colts opposition but struggled in the WAFL at League level and showed he isn't ready to play against AFL opposition. There is a difference between playing at a level and playing well. 

I fully expect Melbourne's at the moment superior player development and everything that factors into it will help fast-track JVR in his development comparative to if he landed with another club, but he's not going to have an Aaron Naughton kind of first season as a point of comparison.”

It’s an interesting debate. I see JVR as a future KPF and a likely replacement for the current key forward incumbents. He should be a fixture at Casey this year but the way things are going with Omnicron, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of seeing him at AFL level in 2022.

From all reports, JVR’s efforts at WAFL Senior level were reasonable. He was impressive on debut with two goals and was affected by tonsillitis and glandular fever in his next couple of games but still contributed. He came back after missing several weeks and kicked just one goal but wasn’t 100% in his fifth and final senior game. He then went on to kick a bag of goals in the WAFL Colts and the WA Under 19s and also showed in one or two games that he can be handy in a key defensive position. We have a handy, versatile prospect on our hands.

Possible Knightmare has never actually seen him play… wouldn’t be the first time he’s had an opinion on a player he’s never seen

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I wouldn’t discount the possibility of seeing him at AFL level in 2022.

I wouldn't discount it either.

Taylor took him with our first round pick, we don't use that pick for development players.

I trust his acumen over some knightmare.

I hope JVR is pushing for it...really pushing for it.

He  must have the competitive spirit to say stuff that, I didn't come here to play at Casey...

If he's waiting to be developed then we got the wrong man.

  • Like 4
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NIGHTMARES OF NARRM by Whispering Jack

    Narrm Time has arrived in our city as the Melbourne Football Club takes the name Narrm Football Club as part of the 2022 AFL Sir Doug Nicholls Round. This week will see the reigning premier pay respect to the region the club calls home — the land of the Wurundjeri people and their culture, language and memory. The team will wear its indigenous guernsey designed by Wurundjeri/Dja Dja Wurrung artist Ky-ya Nicholson Ward and what better way to wear it than with a win over North Melbourne Football C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WESTERN SUNSET by George on the Outer

    It was the top of the table Demons who inflicted their highest ever defeat of the Eagles, thereby ensuring that the sun has finally set on their long dynasty out West.  The final margin was 74 points but it was the final quarter barrage of seven goals which definitively signalled to the meagre West Coast opposition and supporters exactly who was in control.  That was after a similar six goal to one opening quarter, but hey … why not boo and complain about every decision that went aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ON THE RAMPAGE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons had it easy on a windy day under sunny skies at the home of the VFL Kangaroos at Arden Street on Sunday. They caught the hapless Roos who were badly depleted by injury on the hop and disposed of them with little trouble. It was the second time in consecutive seasons that Casey inflicted a 100 plus points defeat on the Roos who had no answers for an opponent on the rampage. When the game started, Casey was without three important forward line components in Mitch Brown, Ka

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RISING TO PHOENIX by William from West Perth

    On Sunday, when the Melbourne Football Club returns to the scene of the club’s most famous victory of the 21st Century, the feeling out there on the ground will most certainly be different. The dying moments of the night of 25 September, 2021 at Optus Stadium marked a team rising to the level of a Phoenix, bathing in the cheers and adulation from an adoring crowd in the wake of their premiership victory after so many years of hardship and desolation. This time around they can expect a main

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TO THE SWORD by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons closed off their game against the Southport Sharks with a comfortable 30-point win off the back of a monster six goal opening term in which they put the Southport Sharks to the sword and kept them scoreless.  Despite losing Toby Bedford to AFL medical sub duty, Majak Daw and Bailey Laurie, the Demons still fielded a strong list of 13 MFC players and also managed to blood two more local newcomers in Tyler Edwards and Tom Macrae after adding four debutants last week. The Shar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NO HEAVEN FOR SAINTS by George on the Outer

    Just when St.Kilda thought it was heading toward Saintly Heaven in Season 2022, it was brought crashing to earth quickly by the ruthless Demons machine. It wasn’t a long drawn out process before the Saints discovered how fragile they were. The Demons simply took the game apart in the first quarter piling on four goals against a paltry three  behinds. Even when Membrey was going to score a major right on the ¼ time bell from 15m out in front, he failed to bypass the outstretched hands of Har

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COVID PROOF FENCE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne fans breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday when their team managed to beat Hawthorn and the Covid19 outbreak that left it without coach Simon Goodwin and five premiership players – Luke Jackson, Kysaiah Pickett, Tom Sparrow, Harrison Petty and Alex Neal-Bullen. The 10-point win was meritorious not just because the Demons overcame the loss of the coach and key players but also due to the way in which they survived the tension surrounding the club in the 72 hours leading up to the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    YIPS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a bout of goal kicking yips and a last quarter Box Hill Hawks comeback to record a thrilling 7 point away from home victory on Sunday. With senior affiliate Melbourne fighting a Covid breakout and some injury concerns to their listed players, Casey turned to youth and called up locals Zac Andrewartha, Matthew Johnson and Harvey Neocleous to join Matt Buntine, a local product who was part of the inaugural GWS Giants list.  The team made a slow start but took co

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEPLETED NOT DEFEATED by George on the Outer

    With Covid 19 ravaging the club, forcing the absence of five players from last week and some more premiership players still sidelined or returning after isolating, it was certainly a depleted Melbourne side that turned up to front Hawthorn in their Round 7 match up at the MCG. Normally, when a team loses ¼ of its soldiers, you would expect a less than favourable result but after the Hawks opened up a 2 goal lead in the opening minutes (and indeed, it could have been more) the Demon machine

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NO COMEBACKS by The Oracle

    Q:  How do the Hawks come back after being 32-0 early, leading at every interval and then conceding nine goals in the last quarter to lose to the Swans by 41 points in the comfort and safety of their second home down in Launceston? A:  If they’re playing the Demons at the G off a five-day break, there are no comebacks. They simply won’t come back! That’s the short form preview of the Melbourne v Hawthorn match up at the Home of Football this weekend. That is not to dismiss the you

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...