Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Grand Final Celebration at the G


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

I got to the G just before midday. Didn’t see a Dees goal until almost 1pm! The crowd were subdued until then but once the 3rd qtr turnaround commenced everyone was right into it cheering every goal to the rafters. Best rendition of Grand Old Flag at the siren ever. Everyone’s lungs were bursting belting it out.

A lot of mentions of winning it at the G in 22. I think is a genuine motivator for this group. We’ll be firm favorites. Looking forward to it

See you all in 2022. Go Dees

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, BDA said:

I got to the G just before midday. Didn’t see a Dees goal until almost 1pm! The crowd were subdued until then but once the 3rd qtr turnaround commenced everyone was right into it cheering every goal to the rafters. Best rendition of Grand Old Flag at the siren ever. Everyone’s lungs were bursting belting it out.

A lot of mentions of winning it at the G in 22. I think is a genuine motivator for this group. We’ll be firm favorites. Looking forward to it

See you all in 2022. Go Dees

I agree it was subdued, but as soon as Harmes stole the ball in the third and hit Fritta on the lead it was amazing! The kick by Harmes was celebrated almost as much as the goal

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, low flying Robbo said:

I agree it was subdued, but as soon as Harmes stole the ball in the third and hit Fritta on the lead it was amazing! The kick by Harmes was celebrated almost as much as the goal

It all started with the Booing of Daniels. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a pure experience of enlightenment. The emotional highs maybe didn't hit height of late September but it was just bliss. 

It was a day of always dreamed of with a whos who of ex players that I always felt I was the only one who knew/cared about and then Robbo performing at half time. Garry announcing the medals, Neale etc They did it really well. Won't forget it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, low flying Robbo said:

I thought Garry did really well in the role of MC too

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread (or any other for that matter) - but Lyon, when calling up Jack Viney said he cracked three of McRae's' ribs at the opening bounce. First i'd heard anything like that at all. 

Three questions:

  1. Did i hear that right?
  2. If yes, was he joking?
  3. If yes, why has it come out previously? 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, low flying Robbo said:

I thought Garry did really well in the role of MC too

A key contribution in making the day so special .Well done the Gary.

I loved his intro to Christain Salem saying this player".. is likely the best ever No.3  in a Dees jumper..."

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, binman said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread (or any other for that matter) - but Lyon, when calling up Jack Viney said he cracked three of McRae's' ribs at the opening bounce. First i'd heard anything like that at all. 

Three questions:

  1. Did i hear that right?
  2. If yes, was he joking?
  3. If yes, why has it come out previously? 

 

 

Yes you did.   May have been a joke, hard to say, but Lyon's sentiment about Jack was spot on.

His commentary on Oliver was the best though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, low flying Robbo said:

I thought Garry did really well in the role of MC too

I knew we were in for a treat  when Garry said he was gonna have to ad lib. He’s a naturally funny person. 
When Jake was leaving the dais he was carrying his toddler and holding the even smaller toddler’s hand. The little one was taking forever to get down the steps so Jake hoisted her up to his chest with his one free hand and caught her all in one move. (Never mind smooth moves on the footy field, he executed this move with aplomb.) Gaz said something along the lines of “okay, and he’s just pulled his daughter’s arm out of the socket”

😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of Jake, he and Tracc were being interviewed by Clint Stanaway on the boundary line  just in front of us. It’s funny what you don’t see on camera… Jake’s baby girl was sitting on the ground by their feet. Tracc must’ve had a stone in his shoe or something coz he slipped his shoe off with his other foot (again, smooth move) without using his hands. While the shoe was off, the little one started to play with the shoelaces. Tracc glanced down and didn’t bother to put the shoe back on, he knew it was entertaining her. 
God how I love these guys! ❤️💙

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did not have sunscreen on, face a bit red today.

Always thought watching my team win a Grand Final at the G would have been on the pitch and not on a screen but we go again

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Did not have sunscreen on, face a bit red today.

Same 😑 I had a (Premiers!) cap on all day so my face was spared. But I have badly sunburnt arms. I forgot that it’s been a while since the pasty whites have seen the sun. (Cheers for that, La Niña!)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess a conspicuous absentee from the past players was the guy who played 42 games between 1989 and 1992, first in #48 and later in #24. 🤭

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a great day out. We were stuck in the Punt Rd carpark so missed the start, but had a wander around enjoying the ambience, the past cups etc and sat down to watch the last half. Goosebumps when Harmes laced out Fritta and the crowd went bananas. Got all teary when the crowd loudly celebrated the last minute of the third quarter. I didn't think re-watching the replay would have that effect on me, but it partially closed a grand final experience gap. I thought the touches with the ground GOAL celebrations, the thunder noise and even the small things like the scoreboard & clock keeping time with the replay was top stuff.

And the ovation for Neale Daniher. And the past player guard of honour. And Noel McMahen ("It's about bloody time"). We're a classy club.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

It was a great day out. We were stuck in the Punt Rd carpark so missed the start, but had a wander around enjoying the ambience, the past cups etc and sat down to watch the last half. Goosebumps when Harmes laced out Fritta and the crowd went bananas. Got all teary when the crowd loudly celebrated the last minute of the third quarter. I didn't think re-watching the replay would have that effect on me, but it partially closed a grand final experience gap. I thought the touches with the ground GOAL celebrations, the thunder noise and even the small things like the scoreboard & clock keeping time with the replay was top stuff.

And the ovation for Neale Daniher. And the past player guard of honour. And Noel McMahen ("It's about bloody time"). We're a classy club.

I really hope we win back to back and another one or two this decade. That it brings in a flood of new members and supporters.  That we return to being the team of the 50 s and  60 s. Highly relevant, respected and feared. A club where players want to go to. A club that leads the cup count again.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I knew we were in for a treat  when Garry said he was gonna have to ad lib. He’s a naturally funny person. 
When Jake was leaving the dais he was carrying his toddler and holding the even smaller toddler’s hand. The little one was taking forever to get down the steps so Jake hoisted her up to his chest with his one free hand and caught her all in one move. (Never mind smooth moves on the footy field, he executed this move with aplomb.) Gaz said something along the lines of “okay, and he’s just pulled his daughter’s arm out of the socket

😄

Daddy Jake went "Aunty Jack".

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Your child was one of the medal kids?

Yep! Got lucky through a mate with connections and my daughter was able to present one of the medals.

The club managed it amazingly too. She scored a premiership jumper, premiership hat and they're sending us professional photos too.

  • Like 7
  • Love 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Grand Final Celebration at the G

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NIGHTMARES OF NARRM by Whispering Jack

    Narrm Time has arrived in our city as the Melbourne Football Club takes the name Narrm Football Club as part of the 2022 AFL Sir Doug Nicholls Round. This week will see the reigning premier pay respect to the region the club calls home — the land of the Wurundjeri people and their culture, language and memory. The team will wear its indigenous guernsey designed by Wurundjeri/Dja Dja Wurrung artist Ky-ya Nicholson Ward and what better way to wear it than with a win over North Melbourne Football C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WESTERN SUNSET by George on the Outer

    It was the top of the table Demons who inflicted their highest ever defeat of the Eagles, thereby ensuring that the sun has finally set on their long dynasty out West.  The final margin was 74 points but it was the final quarter barrage of seven goals which definitively signalled to the meagre West Coast opposition and supporters exactly who was in control.  That was after a similar six goal to one opening quarter, but hey … why not boo and complain about every decision that went aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ON THE RAMPAGE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons had it easy on a windy day under sunny skies at the home of the VFL Kangaroos at Arden Street on Sunday. They caught the hapless Roos who were badly depleted by injury on the hop and disposed of them with little trouble. It was the second time in consecutive seasons that Casey inflicted a 100 plus points defeat on the Roos who had no answers for an opponent on the rampage. When the game started, Casey was without three important forward line components in Mitch Brown, Ka

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RISING TO PHOENIX by William from West Perth

    On Sunday, when the Melbourne Football Club returns to the scene of the club’s most famous victory of the 21st Century, the feeling out there on the ground will most certainly be different. The dying moments of the night of 25 September, 2021 at Optus Stadium marked a team rising to the level of a Phoenix, bathing in the cheers and adulation from an adoring crowd in the wake of their premiership victory after so many years of hardship and desolation. This time around they can expect a main

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TO THE SWORD by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons closed off their game against the Southport Sharks with a comfortable 30-point win off the back of a monster six goal opening term in which they put the Southport Sharks to the sword and kept them scoreless.  Despite losing Toby Bedford to AFL medical sub duty, Majak Daw and Bailey Laurie, the Demons still fielded a strong list of 13 MFC players and also managed to blood two more local newcomers in Tyler Edwards and Tom Macrae after adding four debutants last week. The Shar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NO HEAVEN FOR SAINTS by George on the Outer

    Just when St.Kilda thought it was heading toward Saintly Heaven in Season 2022, it was brought crashing to earth quickly by the ruthless Demons machine. It wasn’t a long drawn out process before the Saints discovered how fragile they were. The Demons simply took the game apart in the first quarter piling on four goals against a paltry three  behinds. Even when Membrey was going to score a major right on the ¼ time bell from 15m out in front, he failed to bypass the outstretched hands of Har

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COVID PROOF FENCE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne fans breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday when their team managed to beat Hawthorn and the Covid19 outbreak that left it without coach Simon Goodwin and five premiership players – Luke Jackson, Kysaiah Pickett, Tom Sparrow, Harrison Petty and Alex Neal-Bullen. The 10-point win was meritorious not just because the Demons overcame the loss of the coach and key players but also due to the way in which they survived the tension surrounding the club in the 72 hours leading up to the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    YIPS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a bout of goal kicking yips and a last quarter Box Hill Hawks comeback to record a thrilling 7 point away from home victory on Sunday. With senior affiliate Melbourne fighting a Covid breakout and some injury concerns to their listed players, Casey turned to youth and called up locals Zac Andrewartha, Matthew Johnson and Harvey Neocleous to join Matt Buntine, a local product who was part of the inaugural GWS Giants list.  The team made a slow start but took co

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEPLETED NOT DEFEATED by George on the Outer

    With Covid 19 ravaging the club, forcing the absence of five players from last week and some more premiership players still sidelined or returning after isolating, it was certainly a depleted Melbourne side that turned up to front Hawthorn in their Round 7 match up at the MCG. Normally, when a team loses ¼ of its soldiers, you would expect a less than favourable result but after the Hawks opened up a 2 goal lead in the opening minutes (and indeed, it could have been more) the Demon machine

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NO COMEBACKS by The Oracle

    Q:  How do the Hawks come back after being 32-0 early, leading at every interval and then conceding nine goals in the last quarter to lose to the Swans by 41 points in the comfort and safety of their second home down in Launceston? A:  If they’re playing the Demons at the G off a five-day break, there are no comebacks. They simply won’t come back! That’s the short form preview of the Melbourne v Hawthorn match up at the Home of Football this weekend. That is not to dismiss the you

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...