• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

Bartlett quits MFC board

bing181

I think this was informally in the pipeline the moment Roffey deposed him.

As I said in another thread, he has been the best president of my lifetime. Kate Roffey has the score on the board as far as being the president in a premiership year, but hasn't got the tenure yet. His term dovetailed beautifully with the Roos-Goodwin-Jackson-Pert years, and while he did say the occasional odd thing, the lack of self inflicted damage was nearly non existent when compared to other eras. If anything newsworthy came up, it was forgotten in one news cycle.

There were a few brain farts he let rip during his term (i.e. the New York Yankees stuff, the blast he gave after the Port game but more so him making Goody's life unpleasant), but it's still magnificent that we were able to transition away from him to Roffey without some awful slanging match or bunfight. 

Plus, the club was mostly allowed to develop without undue interference from the board. It is ironic then that what got him sacked by his fellow board members was his unreasonable maligning of Goody. Once faith was reemphasized in what Goody was doing by the board, we got the team that saluted last September. 

It's a real, real shame it had to end the way it did. 😥

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

He is a Melbourne person, I imagine all he really cares about is the 13th Premiership Cup. Much like Joe Gutnick he can take enormous satisfaction out of being there to support the Club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Highlight of his tenure was blasting the side after the Port flogging.

We’ve gone 22-7-1 since.

Then....He needs to be congratulated for putting a fire underneath a few Bottoms

🤩😍😇

• Like 2

He was part of the team with PJ and Roos that turned things around for the club. He can leave with his head held high.

He looked terrible at last years AGM. Reckon he was tired and had run his race after 8 years the role. The time was right for a change

Thank you GB for a sterling effort. We won’t forget your contribution

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I appreciate what he did to stabilise the club and bring real standards to an admin that didn’t know proper standards.

Jackson and Roos were then brought in and the rest is an 8 year odyssey worthy of Homer (the other one).

I will say that the pressure he placed on Goodwin was not healthy or helpful and those intimating it was the making of the team are misguided in the extreme; haven’t you now seen the importance of quite confidence and steadfast backing of the plan?

The irony is Godwin's loyalty to the players and his unwavering (and sometimes boring) support for them is cited by many - including the Captain - as the precursor to this season and our eventual Premiership.

Thanks Glen, interested to see where he goes next - on Sportsday a month ago he seemed keen to stay in footy with another club.

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, rpfc said:

interested to see where he goes next - on Sportsday a month ago he seemed keen to stay in footy with another club.

WTF, have you got a link to that? I just got through saying he was a Melbourne person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glenn Bartlett came in at the clubs lowest of times, he and Peter Jackson are Heroes of the MFC. They changed the way that Melbournefc were viewed by the rest of the competition and we are now a totally different and successful club. We were a rabble and now we are the Best of the Best. Thanks Glenn and good luck to your future endeavours.💕❤️💙

• Like 16

I feel very split on his tenure.

1. I feel that he never got the kudos he deserved for being such a low key president and all the work he did.

2. I never really warmed to him and am happy that Roffey is in the role instead.

I feel similar about Pert really...

Edited by BAMF
  • Like 2

He was president when we got PJ and Roos on board, he then was president when we hired Goody for the succession policy. Win-loss ratio must be the best (long-term) from a president we had since the 60s. 

Thanks for the service, I personally think the public bake after the Port game was justified. Maybe not the greatest move for his role as president over the coach, and ultimately that public bake created enough of a rift that lead to him stepping down as president and eventually off the board. 

Thanks for the service GB!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pates said:

He was president when we got PJ and Roos on board, he then was president when we hired Goody for the succession policy. Win-loss ratio must be the best (long-term) from a president we had since the 60s. 

Thanks for the service, I personally think the public bake after the Port game was justified. Maybe not the greatest move for his role as president over the coach, and ultimately that public bake created enough of a rift that lead to him stepping down as president and eventually off the board. 

Agree the bake was completely justified.  Remember that at the time of the bake Goddie had 1 great year & 2 very disappointing years.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

The fact that there was no public turmoil and little in the way of negative media during the transition to Roffey tells you everything you need to know about this guy.

I thank him for his service.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Agree the bake was completely justified.  Remember that at the time of the bake Goddie had 1 great year & 2 very disappointing years.

Absolutely justified at the time and things did change from there on ... the suggestion it led to his downfall has been completely denied by Glen and to me he is a straight shooter and I take him on his word ... 1 bake in 8 years as president of a club that often underperformed is unders ... awesome job clearly we wouldn't be premiers without his commitment

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, dworship said:

WTF, have you got a link to that? I just got through saying he was a Melbourne person.

Don’t dismantle your mini shrine - he may just be talking about going back to West Perth, or an AFL role writ large.

The weirdest aspect to the show (aside from Gerard Healy’s ranting about not being able to play golf) was the mention that Demetriou in 2012 was talking to him at a lunch and said he needs “to be chairman at a club somewhere” - Bartlett told him he had a fondness for MFC and the rest is history but what the hell was AD doing back in the day. Talk about kingmaking…

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/former-melbourne-president-glen-bartlett-sydney-ceo/id1135853941?i=1000537091412

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pates said:

Just for the record, PJ brought Bartlett to the club rather than vice versa.  Bartlett announcement to join preceded the Roos announcement by a few weeks so he wasn't really part of the courting Roos process.  PJ had been working on him for months.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, durango said:

He did his job and now lives in WA I believe and you leave/retire the club better than when he started that is the job of a CEO and President.

Remember he appointed PJ, Roos, Pert and Goodwin in his 8 years at the helm or on the board.

This is the post above yours:

26 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Just for the record, PJ brought Bartlett to the club rather than vice versa.  Bartlett announcement to join preceded the Roos announcement by a few weeks so he wasn't really part of the courting Roos process.  PJ had been working on him for months.

Not wishing to diminish his work and success just clarifying the sequence of events.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I think this was informally in the pipeline the moment Roffey deposed him.

As I said in another thread, he has been the best president of my lifetime. Kate Roffey has the score on the board as far as being the president in a premiership year, but hasn't got the tenure yet. His term dovetailed beautifully with the Roos-Goodwin-Jackson-Pert years, and while he did say the occasional odd thing, the lack of self inflicted damage was nearly non existent when compared to other eras. If anything newsworthy came up, it was forgotten in one news cycle.

There were a few brain farts he let rip during his term (i.e. the New York Yankees stuff, the blast he gave after the Port game but more so him making Goody's life unpleasant), but it's still magnificent that we were able to transition away from him to Roffey without some awful slanging match or bunfight. 

Plus, the club was mostly allowed to develop without undue interference from the board. It is ironic then that what got him sacked by his fellow board members was his unreasonable maligning of Goody. Once faith was reemphasized in what Goody was doing by the board, we got the team that saluted last September. 

Kate Roffey was President on the day the Premiership was won, but won't the official records note that both Bartlett and Roffey were club President's in the 2021 Premiership year?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Horethorn are looking for a new pres. 

He could be the needed conduit to facilitate our absorption of Hawthorn into the new amalgamation of the two reams with the new name The Melbourne Demons whose new jumper is to retain the current colours and to have HFC printed under the back collar 

• Haha 2
  • Vomit 1