Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Premiership feeling

Wizard of Koz

5 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

watching the replay i think it was the ANB goal where i thought, okay we're gunna win. 

That put us up by 42 points and I’ve read other posters saying that’s when they too thought ok we’re gonna win. 
For me it was the following goal (Langers) that did it. I don’t remember this but my son told me I was standing in front of the TV with my hands up to my face and almost whimpering “48 points, we can’t lose from here. Surely we can’t lose from here.” He said it was one of the saddest things he’s ever seen. And he’s seen some sad sh**it in his time (ie. me, watching just about any Dees game 😆)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That put us up by 42 points and I’ve read other posters saying that’s when they too thought ok we’re gonna win. 
For me it was the following goal (Langers) that did it. I don’t remember this but my son told me I was standing in front of the TV with my hands up to my face and almost whimpering “48 points, we can’t lose from here. Surely we can’t lose from here.” He said it was one of the saddest things he’s ever seen. And he’s seen some sad sh**it in his time (ie. me, watching just about any Dees game 😆)

love your passion for the club, wcw

hope the enjoyment continues forever

as my grandson said as a 3 yo on video "go the mighty dees, pop" (with just a little coaching from me)

as an 8 yo now he said after the gf "i've waited so long for this"............huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

It's a really strange one, i've probably watched the replay 30 ish times so far, and it still hasn't quite sunk in that we actually did it. 

the last quarter and a half was the most dominant football i've seen at AFL level, we were incredible all over the ground. 

I spoke to a very involved Dogs supporter and he said the people he knows within the club just said the players felt helpless, they couldn't match us, not even in one area. they worked so hard to get a lead, knowing we'd have more run, and wanted to try and hold on, but it was just like a tidal wave. 

watching the replay i think it was the ANB goal where i thought, okay we're gunna win. though i think the Brayshaw mark and goal is going to be an iconic MFC moment. that was insanely brave, and then to convert and fire the crowd up. incredible, spintingling 

The ANB goal is the moment for me, I knew it was over also. 
It was remarkable. The moment Bont put them 19 points up I felt like I’d been hit by a bus. I felt truly crook.

Following that everything was going right for them. Keath taking a contested mark in our forward line, then kicking to the wing when Naughton took another contested mark 3 deep. That was when I truly thought we were gone.

The rubbish free kick to Hannan 60 out and his wayward handball to a running player was when I turned. Rivers lays a heavy tackle; Max gets “turned” to the ground by Daniel.

From then on it was a tidal wave. Something I never saw coming and it made the victory so much sweeter. The last 4 minutes of the third is probably the greatest moment of football I’ve ever experienced.

• Like 7
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

love your passion for the club, wcw

hope the enjoyment continues forever

as my grandson said as a 3 yo on video "go the mighty dees, pop" (with just a little coaching from me)

as an 8 yo now he said after the gf "i've waited so long for this"............huh?

Well like me .... His whole life 😂

• Haha 3

I'm looking forward to reliving the experience and celebrating with the faithful in 29 days time. I'm so looking forward to heading into the city, proudly wearing my newest Dees merch, strutting along Swan Street. 

9366464_walk-strutgif.gif

Edited by BDA
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

I hear you fork! My sons routinely accuse me of loving the Dees more than I love them (which by the way isn’t true… I love them equally 🙃) Anyways my middle son once said to me “if Max Gawn and I were both unconscious in a burning building and you could only save one of us, what would you do?” I says, “well, while piggybacking Maxy out, I’d use my free hand to call 000 for you.” He wasn’t impressed, but nor was he surprised. The whole fam know how passionate I am about my awesome Demons. ❤️💙

The scary thing is WCW, we know you're not joking 😁

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I spoke to a very involved Dogs supporter and he said the people he knows within the club just said the players felt helpless, they couldn't match us, not even in one area. they worked so hard to get a lead, knowing we'd have more run, and wanted to try and hold on, but it was just like a tidal wave. 

This is exactly how it appears to me having watched the game (well mainly the second half) around the 30 or so odd times as well.

The turnaround in both our defensive capabilities and mental toughness over the past 3 or so years has been immense.  I recall that home and away game agains Sydney back towards the back half of 2018 as an example of how the GF and other games like Rd 23 at the Cattery could have ended for us in the past.  Vs the Swans that day, we started on fire and had dominated the Swans on the field, but somewhat failed to convert the oppertunities, but led by around 11pts at qtr time.  Over the next two qtrs, tough playing mostly compeditive footy, we leaked goals like crazy and the Swans ended up with a 28 point lead at 3/4 time.  We threw it at them in the last, but couldn't get back the lead.

In the GF, the Bulldogs somewhat dominated the play and the scoreboard for one and a half quarters, but our defense held strong and mitigated the score they were able to kick in that time, which somewhat kept us in the game over that period and didn't let them get away.  To some extent the Bulldogs were actually lucky to open up the ~3 goal lead we had on them, because we were still winning it out of the centre via Trac and Co. and providing reasonable scoring opportunities that we just weren't converting.  We score one or two of those goals and all of a sudden, the Bulldogs are only 6 - 12 points up, which doesn't look quite as bad.  Even still, watching the replay again, over this time, it felt like the Bulldogs had played their game by this time and needed us to crack for them to finish the job off - but crack we certainly didn't and they were ill prepared to dig in and defend when the momentum swung back the other way, which is hardly surprising really based on their defense being a weakness of theirs all season.

Seems like we have such trust in our defense to hold up and keep us in it when we don't have the momentum, the maturity to keep our head when this is happening and then are able to flick the switch and really hurt teams offensively when we have the dominance - I LOVE IT!!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Beetle said:

The last 4 minutes of the third is probably the greatest moment of football I’ve ever experienced.

The last 32 seconds of the 3rd was the best 32 seconds of my life.
Watched it at least 10 times again last night.
Kozzies block.
Tracs all class dribbler.
James Brayshaw .... "Christian Petracca no way."

Settling back at the bounce "Lets go Demons .... Another one." I asked the footy gods.
Viney to Trac to Oliver streaming forward to Sparrow and the bomb.
TMac in a show of strength on the line and hist fist pump.
Even Brian Taylor.
"This is gonna be a big one, Sparrow to make it a 3goal 3/4 time lead .... He's got it, MELBOURNE ARE UP BY 3GOALS on the eve of  3/4 time."
I've said it before but I was forken redlining right here.
Roaring and fist pumping harder than Sparrow.
The boys making their power move in the premiership quarter before my very eyes.

Back at the bounce with 30 seconds to go.
Now the football world raves about Scarletts toe poke to Ablett in their GF.
Viney putting Jackson into space with one of his own was also footy genius.
Jackson bolting forward like a 6'5' gazelle the 19yr old displays his own high footy IQ by-passing Viney handballing to Oliver "Streaming through" in a relentless wave straight down the middle.
The crowd starts roaring off the boot as they do when it looks good from down town.
The goal umpire leaning right back as it sails directly over his head.
Brayshaw again "Bang ... Bang, Bang, Bang!"
Another fist pump on the goal from TMac who's starting to see his dreams come true.
Oliver and Jackson charging away together mobbed by their teammates with a pair of 1 finger salutes.
Sparrow under the wing of Oliver, one of the sides leaders who's just torn the heart from the dogs and holding it aloft.
If I was redlining after Sparrows goal I found a whole new level I didn't know I even had at this moment.
Pure , unadulterated ecstasy maybe .... Dunno, but the world went fuzzy there for abit.

There was much heroics from many players in that game and I could be here all day but that 32seconds ...... Holy forken sheet.
Un forken real .... Just Legendary.

Said to my daughter at 3/4 time.
"Another couple quick ones and it'll be party time."
And the boys come out and did just that so I could sit back and spend the last qr shaking my head chuckling at the surreal realisation that I was actually watching the Mighty Demons win the Grand final.
Top item on my bucket list ticked off 🏆 ✔️
At peace with the world.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 5
  • Love 13

I've been thinking it's about time I sit down again at 7:15pm tonight and watch the while game start to finish with a few cold ones.

The only way to really put the rush of that 3rd/4th qtr bliz as @doc roet put it, is to slip into the feeling of dispare of watching that preceding 2nd quarter where our brilliant 1st quarter lead gets whittled away.

I don't have to try hard to imagine what it must feel like as a Bulldogs supporter to go from feeling like the premiership was in their grasp after the Bont kicked his 3rd goal mid way through the third to having it ripped away so unceremoniously from that point on.  The BT pump-up of the 'The Bont', Teddy Whitten comparisons, Norm Smith's, premerships only built up the hype and must have added to the sense of disappointment, disaster and despair for them from that point on.  I actually know some really nice Bulldogs supporters, so part of me actually empathises with them, but then some of the close losses that the MFC experienced to the Dogs over the years (I was there at Metricon last year when they effectively interrupted our momentum and run at finals  last year) did make beating them like this very sweat as well.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 2:43 PM, 58er said:

Agree Wiz 

I was alive and barracked for the Dees in 1958,59 60 and 64 but as a 10 year old to 16 we went as a family to most games at the G starting in 1959.

Our first memberships were in 1965 and by far the most emotional and consequential event in the 63 years was that afternoon at the Western Oval when we made the Finals in 1987 and those matches like in 2018 were amazing for their red and blue support and atmosphere snd us winning the 2 Finals games.

I moved to Brisbane in 1993 and still purchase  an Adult Membership  and have for 56 consecutive years. I and fellow supporters in their 60's and 70's agreed that our time was running out in our lifetime even though in retrospect 2018 now was not a glitch but a promise of the prospect that we could in the next few years maybe  break our curse or drought.

2019 was very disappointing and the injury toll and lack of a solid pre season of about half the list was crucial.

2020 in my opinion was not a wasted year as our defence was starting to emerge as a tight unit and May snd Lever showed glimpses of their class and why we used those draft picks.

The biggest improvement was in 2020 that Christian Petracca went from a good B grader to a class A + grader on his best days. Along with him was Gawny Clarry Langers and on occasions Viney and Salem (near the end of the season)  were all impacting our form and results but for our largely dysfunctional forward line. Cairns also showed our weaknesses mentally and in difficult conditions but a platform on our fitness by Burgo had been started and our % was over 100% (107% in fact up from 78% in 2019.

The JT and his team plus the  FDepts recent years of drafting and recruiting were starting to bear fruit.

I contributed at least a dozen posts indicating my optimism about our list and its potential to take a step or two to the Final 8 or even Top 4 if we succeeded in a number of facets of the game in 2021.

Paramount to this was the following :

1. Positive run with injuries to key players  and low overall total numbers as well.

2. Potential immediate  improvement in 2019 draftees Jackson Kossie and Rivers.

3. Players like Fritsch Spargo Brayshaw ANB Harmes show regular and consistent improvement in their individual and team contributions to kick more goals raise their tacking level and develop a hard edge approach.

4. All our A or potential A graders emerge and lead the way on and off the field. Gawn Trac Clarry Vines Langers Maysie Jake L and Salem were a very good start in this group.

5. Tommy Mac rediscover his 2018 form or kick say 30-50 goals this season.

6. BBB our new recruit and/or Sam Weid become forwards that took the oppositions best defenders and still beat them enough times to impact and connect our attack to a new level.

7. That our 2/3 year recruits Sparrow Chandler and Jordon plus others fulfil much of their potential in breakout years to back up our mids in depth.

8. Very Importantly a stronger game plan be introduced and the Club learn from the Tigers Hawks and Cats that team footy is the secret to sustained form and importance to a successful season no matter what ability you possess on your list.

9. I was extremely bullish about our new coaching panel giving us an edge in our midfield and running patterns and improving the game plan overall.

10 From  that first JTL win over the Tigers I reckoned that form was true and achievable and our team was gelling together in a positive snd measured manner. Solid team orientated and honest players seemed to know more about their role in the team and the team looked as though they enjoyed each other's company and on field success.

Our disastrous under strength JLT performance to lose vs the Doggies at Marvel  was a complete glitch and did not seem to harm us mentally in hindsight. 

From  Round 1 we were a bit scratchy but still strong and solid with some real individual brilliance emerging in the team  as the season progressed.

Anzac Eve was a great lesson in our growth only we recognised as the footy world had to eventually.

By Finals  time we had laid the base and in the last minutes st the Cattery tied up the Minor Premiership to give real belief that we would be up for the Finsks Challenges.

To say it was a juggernaut from then on is not overstating our excellence snd performance yo gain our 13 Th  and best modern flag this century.

I notice you don't mention umpiring 58er.

• Like 1

Was I rapt we won ? Ofcourse but it was not nirvana as I have often imagined it would be. I want to see it happen in person at the G and not sitting on the bloody couch.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Was I rapt we won ? Ofcourse but it was not nirvana as I have often imagined it would be. I want to see it happen in person at the G and not sitting on the bloody couch.

I feel exactly the same its like its not real

Oh well dle4 it will be better next year right??

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dl4e said:

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I feel exactly the same its like its not real

Oh well dle4 it will be better next year right??

I guess it's true what they say.
Some people are just never happy.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Agree.

I still went off my nut and let everyone in the neighborhood know that the MIGHTY DEMONS are premiers in 2021, but it was still missing that huge aspect of footy of being there in the crowd, hugging my old man and son, screaming my guts out and singing the song with 50,000+ fellow MFC tragics.

It's still left a partial void, but in a way that's not such a bad thing, because it's given me an aspiration to look towards in future years as a supporter.  If not for that, maybe I could become content with just winning a single premiership in my lifetime and somewhat loose interest and passion, which doesn't sit well with me at all.

• Like 1

It's still very surreal for me.

I can't believe our beloved Melbourne Demons won the 2021 Premiership!

After all the years of pain and suffering, since 1964, we finally obtained Premiership glory and broke the drought!

This moment will remain one of the happiest in my entire life!

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I notice you don't mention umpiring 58er.

Which the grand final? I was there and truly I don't think it was crucial n their comeback or third quarter 15 min dominance.BUT the MIT h Hannam free kick live and on replay 30 plus times is very soft. Unfortunately the umps this year especially are paying soft free kicks by the bus load You hardly touch your opponent on the back or near the neck and especially in blink e and throw in plus contested  ball they make a stupid preliminary  soft call and 2 mins later Kossies head is pulled off and no whistle.  BUt I was not upset overall at the green/ yellow brigade.

What I neglected ( very embarrassingly ) as I wound up my post in a hurry to get out was not recognise the  VERY LARGE    contribution made by our Coach Simon Goodwin who held it all together brilliantly and deserves huge credit and a very large place in the Histoty of breaking our  extended drought/curse.

Hw will either be our  judged our 2nd  b est Coach  by a distance or third narrowly in the years to come !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

The last 32 seconds of the 3rd was the best 32 seconds of my life.
Watched it at least 10 times again last night.
Kozzies block.
Tracs all class dribbler.
James Brayshaw .... "Christian Petracca no way."

Settling back at the bounce "Lets go Demons .... Another one." I asked the footy gods.
Viney to Trac to Oliver streaming forward to Sparrow and the bomb.
TMac in a show of strength on the line and hist fist pump.
Even Brian Taylor.
"This is gonna be a big one, Sparrow to make it a 3goal 3/4 time lead .... He's got it, MELBOURNE ARE UP BY 3GOALS on the eve of  3/4 time."
I've said it before but I was forken redlining right here.
Roaring and fist pumping harder than Sparrow.
The boys making their power move in the premiership quarter before my very eyes.

Back at the bounce with 30 seconds to go.
Now the football world raves about Scarletts toe poke to Ablett in their GF.
Viney putting Jackson into space with one of his own was also footy genius.
Jackson bolting forward like a 6'5' gazelle the 19yr old displays his own high footy IQ by-passing Viney handballing to Oliver "Streaming through" in a relentless wave straight down the middle.
The crowd starts roaring off the boot as they do when it looks good from down town.
The goal umpire leaning right back as it sails directly over his head.
Brayshaw again "Bang ... Bang, Bang, Bang!"
Another fist pump on the goal from TMac who's starting to see his dreams come true.
Oliver and Jackson charging away together mobbed by their teammates with a pair of 1 finger salutes.
Sparrow under the wing of Oliver, one of the sides leaders who's just torn the heart from the dogs and holding it aloft.
If I was redlining after Sparrows goal I found a whole new level I didn't know I even had at this moment.
Pure , unadulterated ecstasy maybe .... Dunno, but the world went fuzzy there for abit.

There was much heroics from many players in that game and I could be here all day but that 32seconds ...... Holy forken sheet.
Un forken real .... Just Legendary.

Said to my daughter at 3/4 time.
"Another couple quick ones and it'll be party time."
And the boys come out and did just that so I could sit back and spend the last qr shaking my head chuckling at the surreal realisation that I was actually watching the Mighty Demons win the Grand final.
Top item on my bucket list ticked off 🏆 ✔️
At peace with the world.

Love your description of that 3 mins @Fork 'em and is pretty close to the way I felt about it all as well.

It was the three minute burst started by Harmes -> Fritta  that got us back in the game, that stiring goal straight through the middle from Gus that put us back in front and confirmed our control of the game, but it was that 3 minute blitz from Trac, Sparrow, Clarry with support from Dogga Jackson, Viney and T Mac that split open the game from that point on.

I'd like to say that after the way we played that 3rd quarter, I was on such a high and we were so dominant that I pretty much thought it was ours to loose from that point on, but in reality, I probably still had those few nervous thoughts that it wasn't quite yet beyond doubt.   I'm so greatful those thoughts didn't need to persist long into the last quarter at all and we could all sit back, party and enjoy the show from there.

• Like 2

The look in Tracs eyes after he kicks that dribbler is the hunger and determination that only the absolute champions like Voss, Hodge and co have. seeing that, and looking back, it would have taken something incredible to beat us from that moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I was reflecting whilst walking the dog that the obstacles between us and a dynasty are melting away nicely

1. We won our first flag to get off and running

2. Umpire Dean Margetts retired 

Most importantly

We buried the Norm Smith curse. In Optus Stadium

dancing-coffin-dance-coffin.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

I keep watching the 3 goal burst at the end of the 3rd quarter - the best footy I have seen. We won it, playing a kind of football I have only seen 3 other times in my life - Hawks 88, Lions 01-03, and Geelong 07-09. 

But the general feeling is one of serenity. The pressure is off. I am totally relaxed, and I enter the 2022 season not giving a rats ar*e about too much at all. We are the best, everyone else can go get stu**ed. The trade period = whatever. Draft = whatever. Super chilled, no knot in my gut thinking about the next season.

I could get used to this.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

One of my strongest feelings in the 3rd was when Fritta kicked that second goal and the crowd came into the game they were so loud and the banners, flags and signs seemed to have a life of their own and it continued for that last 8 minutes and built into a crescendo over that last 32 seconds I was really bouncing and cheering with my 7 year old grandson.
The feeling was like an out of body experience I have never felt those extreme sensations before and I also have never seen such football perfection.💕❤️💙

• Like 7