Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Grand Final Rematch

Petracca

39 minutes ago, Cassiew said:

I know but this is the toughest opponent possible 

Isn't it great!! I'm way past wanting easy road kill. You get better playing the best and winning or staying close.

I will facepalm myself if we lose by 60pts.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

I like the bullish request, getting the grand final replay out early and saying bring on our rivals.

I do wonder whether we could save the replay for later as another bankable attractive game to get bums on seats. We could play GWS and the MCG will still be packed for the unfurling of the premiership flag. I would personally love say Essendon in round one as our home game, I hate them so much and it would be satisfying to present the flag to our members in front of their arrogant fans. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cassiew said:

I’d rather not play them. I’d rather a team we were almost certain to beat being that it’s the first time we have raised the flag since 1965 and I don’t want anything to spoil the night.

Adelaide, Collingwood maybe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Cassiew said:

I’d rather not play them. I’d rather a team we were almost certain to beat being that it’s the first time we have raised the flag since 1965 and I don’t want anything to spoil the night.

I'm with you Cassie. Let's play the Suns, beat them by 98 points and rub the AFL up the wrong way for their failed experiment.

This feeling of arrogance could be great fun.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I don’t think they can revenge it other than by knocking us out of the finals next year. Home and away does not mean what September means!

• Like 3

I’m loving the club right now but this feels wrong.  Most clubs that lose the GF rebound the next year to defeat their conquerors. It’s basic human motivation.  

Dees should look to get round 1 versus a club like Crows.  Gets us away to a positive start. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’m loving the club right now but this feels wrong.  Most clubs that lose the GF rebound the next year to defeat their conquerors. It’s basic human motivation.  

Dees should look to get round 1 versus a club like Crows.  Gets us away to a positive start. 

If they play the Crows the Afl won't put it on Friday night, this is a great idea, for so many reasons. Marketing unveiling the flag in front of a packed G on a Friday night will bring in the $$.

We will be favourites, even if we loose they don't get any prize other then the 4pts.. it has so much upside for the club

Edited by Rednblueriseing
  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

Usually id say this should be reserved for round 4-7 or so, but I think this rivalry will be at its height in terms of drawing a big crowd, big audience. And someone has to replace Collingwood in that slot. Going forward.

If we instead played r7-8, the Dogs will probably be mid table after a lacklustre start to a season that will have them slipping back to the pack, and that game will have half as many eyes on it.

Edited by John Demonic

9 hours ago, dworship said:

Isn't it great!! I'm way past wanting easy road kill. You get better playing the best and winning or staying close.

I will facepalm myself if we lose by 60pts.

No. I just want an almost guaranteed win for round 1. I don’t want to even consider losing.

8 hours ago, radar said:

Adelaide, Collingwood maybe

Not Collingwood. Could bear the thought of losing to the scum.

8 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

I'm with you Cassie. Let's play the Suns, beat them by 98 points and rub the AFL up the wrong way for their failed experiment.

This feeling of arrogance could be great fun.

Yeah it would add to the memorable night ❤️💙

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

TBH, I don’t like the idea of unfurling the flag in front of the GF losers. I would not like that at all if they did that in 2001.

Secondly, Friday night games are not exactly family friendly.

I would prefer we play an interstate team during the day and get as many Demons along as want to come.

Of course, we shouldn’t say no to a blockbuster but I think the club pushing for this is misguided.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, rpfc said:

TBH, I don’t like the idea of unfurling the flag in front of the GF losers. I would not like that at all if they did that in 2001.

I would prefer we play an interstate team during the day and get as many Demons along as want to come.

Of course, we shouldn’t say no to a blockbuster but I think the club pushing for this is misguided.

This is a good perspective

no need to rub the Dogs noses in it. Rivalries are great and all but we can get a ratings blockbuster and good crowd with another team. 

Like the Bombers. We could unfurl it in front of them and smash them. In front of a monster crowd 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, rpfc said:

It will presumably be our home game so no issues with getting the members in. 
Secondly Friday night might not be family friendly but it’s cash friendly. It brings loads of dollars and sponsor money. 
Thirdly I have stopped giving a crap about the opposition’s feelings when I realized they don’t care about ours. We will play the Dogs twice in the season anyway. Why not in round 1?

The MFCSS is back… “oh but they’ll be motivated. We will lose. Let’s play an easy opponent”. 
How about our boys will be hella motivated to back up? How about it’s good to start the year with a really big challenge to set off the season right? 

We are goddamn premiers!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

It will presumably be our home game so no issues with getting the members in. 
Secondly Friday night might not be family friendly but it’s cash friendly. It brings loads of dollars and sponsor money. 
Thirdly I have stopped giving a crap about the opposition’s feelings when I realized they don’t care about ours. We will play the Dogs twice in the season anyway. Why not in round 1?

The MFCSS is back… “oh but they’ll be motivated. We will lose. Let’s play an easy opponent”. 
How about our boys will be hella motivated to back up? How about it’s good to start the year with a really big challenge to set off the season right? 

We are goddamn premiers!

If it’s a cash decision - the game against the Dogs in Rd 7 is going to get a good time a lot and 75k fans - the Rd 1 unfurling of the flag against GWS will also get 60k+ fans. So why not stretch those out?

And members yes, but fans no. Blockbusters will mean people will miss out that want to go - that’s why they are block busters.

I would do it Saturday arvo/twilight and celebrate with no other game on anywhere during the day with Port Adelaide. We’d get 80k I would say.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

No. I just want an almost guaranteed win for round 1. I don’t want to even consider losing.

Not Collingwood. Could bear the thought of losing to the scum.

Yeah it would add to the memorable night ❤️💙

Cassie whoever we play we will beat and we may as well play the second best and capitalise on it. I've always been a proponent of playing the best sides during the year, I don't want a soft draw (Port), make the finals then get smashed.

We are not the old unreliable Melbourne anymore, get used to going to the football expecting to win.

I don't care about the feelings of the Bullies fans, they didn't care about mine when I left the Western Oval with my kids and copped their abuse as I walked out.

If the players are as timid as some of our supporters we will fail this year and I don't think they are.

Stay strong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I would do it Saturday arvo/twilight and celebrate with no other game on anywhere during the day with Port Adelaide. We’d get 80k I would say.

I was actually thinking this, how good would a twilight Saturday night match against Brisbane be against perhaps Brisbane (another contender from the year but interstate). 

The most likely scenario would be Saturday night (which I would prefer), request the game be half an hour early and have a really good build up to it. 

I don’t mind playing the dogs round one, but I’d rather we hold onto the rematch as a bankable windfall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

This is a good perspective

no need to rub the Dogs noses in it. Rivalries are great and all but we can get a ratings blockbuster and good crowd with another team. 

Like the Bombers. We could unfurl it in front of them and smash them. In front of a monster crowd 

Love v. Bombers. 90,000 crowd. Ticketed. $$$$s. Friday night. Bang bang bang bang !!!!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I don't know I kind of feel weird playing the dogs. It's like we will already give them extra motivation afterall they will want revenge obviously. 

On the other hand ... they show up pumped to make amends and we smash them again and their season is almost over before it begins. One more competitor put out of the way.

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I wish people would get over their MFCSS. We are the best side in the competition. 

1. Do they remember that we absolutely belted the Bulldogs in the GF?  They would be traumatised by the prospect of playing us at our home ground in front of rabid supporters, after what we did to them at a neutral venue.

2. Sponsors bring more money into the club than members.  Here is the opportunity to grab a prime time exposure for the sponsors in front of a huge crowd.  This sort of prospect make the club marketable. The AFL won't fixture us for this type of exposure if we are playing GC. You have to make hay while the sun shines.

3. Playing the Dogs is the opportunity for the players to show they are serious about giving their home fans the chance to see us playing in another GF at home.  Beat the Dogs again , and the rest of the competition takes a collective breath. Win this game and all those members who waver about stumping up their money for 2022 quickly head for their wallet.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I'd love to play the dogs round 1. 

As an aside, why the hell do Richmond and Carlton still automatically get granted the season opener blockbuster? You have to laugh at some of the 'VFL' conspiracy theories by interstate fans, but complaints about this fixture are entirely fair IMO. It's only been happening for around a decade, so it's not exactly a longstanding tradition. Plus the match is always a fizzer. Why not open the season with a GF rematch? Or a proper rivalry (showdown, derby etc)?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've always thought they should have a grand final replay in round 1, personally I'd prefer it was at a more family/travel friendly time slot than Friday night, but I can see why the club would want this - that sort of exposure early in the season is a great sell to sponsors and those that haven't signed up for a membership yet. 

I don't think opposition clubs care that much about when a club unfurls their flag, that's more for the premiers supporters.  

23 minutes ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

As an aside, why the hell do Richmond and Carlton still automatically get granted the season opener blockbuster? You have to laugh at some of the 'VFL' conspiracy theories by interstate fans, but complaints about this fixture are entirely fair IMO. It's only been happening for around a decade, so it's not exactly a longstanding tradition. Plus the match is always a fizzer. Why not open the season with a GF rematch? Or a proper rivalry (showdown, derby etc)?

There are some people in the AFL with some kind of sentimental attachment to the old notion of the "big 4". Without realising that times change, best exemplified by the MIGHTY DEMONS snagging a flag.

Of course that sentimental attachment might well be underpinned by a rather less sentimental attachment to $$$$$$. But still. The comp is not "the big 4" with a few others making up the numbers. It's more the other way around these days.