Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bruce McAvaney on Petracca

Vipercrunch

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tracc was special. And delicious.

Not quite ready to say we’re on par with Richmond yet alone above them and Hawthorn. Not sure what Bruce is saying by calling us more exciting. The 3rd quarter burst will go down in history for sure, but otherwise I’m not convinced.

The suffocating defensive pressure and crisp handball game of the Tigers gets really underrated because they had a few unfashionable role players. When they clicked in to top gear in grand finals they were a joy to watch. 

And Hawthorn’s kicking and organisation changed the league entirely. 08, 12 (in a losing effort), completely shutting down Sydney in 14, they were a special side.

Im glad we’ve got a chance to forge our own legacy but I think big statements are a little silly.

Yeah I’m pretty sure the 2000 bombers team were at the time expected to win the 01’ flag at least and maybe more after their win. So I’m weary of making too big a statement just yet in regards to being mentioned with those teams in terms of how good we are. We definitely have the window and talent to do it.

I’ve been told by non-dees fans that we are the most devastating team they’ve seen. A workmate said we are like Mitchell Johnson but as an AFL side. Can win a game of footy in 20 minutes of play, no matter how far down we are, that’s all we need. Not sure if that’s translates to exciting for non-dees fans, but I’ll take the most devastating team mantle for sure!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Not quite ready to say we’re on par with Richmond yet alone above them and Hawthorn. Not sure what Bruce is saying by calling us more exciting. The 3rd quarter burst will go down in history for sure, but otherwise I’m not convinced.

The suffocating defensive pressure and crisp handball game of the Tigers gets really underrated because they had a few unfashionable role players. When they clicked in to top gear in grand finals they were a joy to watch. 

And Hawthorn’s kicking and organisation changed the league entirely. 08, 12 (in a losing effort), completely shutting down Sydney in 14, they were a special side.

Im glad we’ve got a chance to forge our own legacy but I think big statements are a little silly.

Give it a spell Dee.

richmond / Hawthorn or anyone else hasn’t produced a GF or finals series as good as we just did, in the last 20/30 years. 

• Like 2

I'd hate to see how miserable you will be after a threpeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I for one was glad to see the back of Bruce. There was his 70 rhetorical questions a game. The sleezy sexual innuendo (yes, yes yes!). The ridiculous voice changes, the unnecessary player criticisms/judgements, the unprofessional nicknames (King for Carey, Lingy for Ling, Hodgey, etc). How people thought he was even decent is beyond comprehension.

The sooner they dump Taylor too the better. What an embarrassment he is. DeeSpencer described him well in a previous post. Mistake after mistake. Unfinished sentences, obvious barracking, repetition of uninteresting facts, talking over people... Complete ignoramus.

Brayshaw to his credit did an excellent job in the grand final. I'm generally not a fan but he refrained from the blokeyness in this game and came up with a couple of gems like the Bang... bang, bang, bang when Oliver scored the last before three-quarter time and 'It's falling the way of the Demons' after Bailey fumbled and Fritta goaled.

Sport commentary in Australia is a sad state of affairs. In the AFL Jason Bennett, Adam Papalia and Anthony Hudson are about the best we can muster. Then there's Derwayne, Eddie, Hamish, Taylor, Underwood, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Demonland changed the title to Bruce McAvaney on Petracca
16 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hawks were good but I always wonder whether their time at the top was prolonged purely due to the compromised drafts for gc and giants.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Richmond certainly weren't the home and away side we were. I'm usually a big percentage believer and there's was very low for a 15-7 team, even lower when you account for them losing 4 times under 10 points including some classic Richmond choke jobs. 

But they did start the year 5-0, battled through a mid year slump with people doubting them then finished very strongly in the lead in to finals. There home and away season was a less impressive but similar path to ours.

And they dominated finals. We put the Cats and Dogs right out of their misery by blowing the game way out but once you're 40 up in a final it's all a bit academic from there. The smashed Geelong, they took care of business after a nervy start against a strong GWS side and then they really took care of a Crows side that had dominated 2 earlier finals. If it's finals that really matter for judging a side then super dominant Melbourne (with a blip in the grand final for 45 minutes) v regularly dominant Richmond.

Our home and away season is interesting. I've seen people saying we were the best team all year and maybe first is first at the end of the day. I will say I think the Dogs were right with us or even had us covered in the home and away season until the loss of Bruce and lack of ruckman had them going a bit batty. And the reality is we were a Max Gawn set shot after the siren away from finishing 3rd. Our top 5 (there were 5 contenders this year) and top 8 record was very promising, but tripping over ourselves 2.5 times against Adel, Haw and Coll counts too. 17.5 wins and finishing top for the first time is one heck of an achievement, although my thoughts at the end of the year was we've snuck in to pole position of a very tight 5 car race.

Melbourne 2021 v Richmond 17 is clearly advantage us. Richmond definitely played their best footy in 18 and 19 though, and remained good enough to win it in 2020, so let's go out and do that!

The thing I remember in particular about Richmond in 2017 was the excellent run they had with injuries, similar to us this year.

What stamps us as different to the Tigers I reckon is that I believe you could comfortably name 5 leaders amongst our team this year. Players who lead by example with their form, their steely focus and their willingness to put the team first and protect and guide teammates. And I'm including Tom Sparrow and Alex Neal Bullen in that description for actions in the prelim and the granny.

Maybe Richmond had a number of them as well, I don't know, but what I do know is that quality is the bedrock of this team and it could well get us two more flags with this group.