Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

I can't understand Weagles determination (if True) not to give up pick 2 for him. He's been in the system 3 years, proven himself under the ultimate pressure of a Grand Final. Won a Rising Star. Has 3 years of physical development and tutoring by the best ruckman in the comp. And he's only 20. Compared to what at pick in the draft. There's never a guarantee a pick 2 is going to prove to be worth the pick and then they have to be developed for 3 years or so before they will be a major contributor. Plus they desperately need to draft a ruckman to replace Nic Nat. I'd be grabbing the opportunity to get him with pick 2 with both hands. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

no nothing about Cadman. is her more of a Jono Patton, Tom Boyd, Schache, or Watts?

I know nothing about Cadman. Can anyone help?

*previous post was riddled with errors. Very unlike me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Its Time for Back to Back said:

I can't understand Weagles determination (if True) not to give up pick 2 for him. He's been in the system 3 years, proven himself under the ultimate pressure of a Grand Final. Won a Rising Star. Has 3 years of physical development and tutoring by the best ruckman in the comp. And he's only 20. Compared to what at pick in the draft. There's never a guarantee a pick 2 is going to prove to be worth the pick and then they have to be developed for 3 years or so before they will be a major contributor. Plus they desperately need to draft a ruckman to replace Nic Nat. I'd be grabbing the opportunity to get him with pick 2 with both hands. 

There not allowed to give away their first round pick.

5 hours ago, layzie said:

If apologies were meant to be given out for every time someone did wrong to someone on here we'd have to rename DL Vatican City!

Some people did seem to attack GNF as though the scenarios mentioned couldn't possibly have been occurring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Well he helped get us a Flag and will forever be one it the 23 heroes ! 
Thanks Dogga 

Is it 23 or 22? Jordon didn't spend anytime on the ground.

Dogga you're a champ will be sorely missed.

8 hours ago, DubDee said:

We've all been victim of the cruddy smartphone keyboard!

I've seen a bit of him, what stands out to me so far is his mobility, he moves really well for a guy his size. He also seems like an exceptional overhead mark and everyone loves a left footer. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, forever demons said:

The fish bowl afl life in WA will eat him aliive if he doesnt fire.Hogan wanted to go home for family reasons ,look where he ended up

The idea that Perth is a fishbowl and Melbourne isn't shows a complete detachment from reality.

13 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

Well WCE can F off if they’re not coughing up pick 2!

Depends who they'd be willing to give up. If we could get a mid first rounder off them and our medical staff believe Oscar Allen is all good to go, and the West Aussie is willing to come over to us, that'd be a very different discussion.

Some posters live in dreamland, there is no way WC is going to trade pick 2 for LJ, Freo can't get anywhere near that and WC have the PSD safety net. The best achievable outcome from WC would be a top 10 pick from a split of 2, plus their pick 20.

Jackson is going to Fremantle anyway, it has clearly been arranged for ages, WC involvement just keeps Freo honest.

Edited by old55
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Dave1711 said:

Those last 3 goals in the third quarter were all down to Jack Viney not Jackson 

So Jackson, the ruckman in all those situations had no part in them?

FMD. It's nuffy season.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Probably would've been better if she let her son do the talking and not add so quickly and publicly to the situation, regardless of how grateful she is. 

10 hours ago, layzie said:

That's probably fair considering a trade hasn't even been done yet.

Totally agree. 
I understand how she must feel though; missing her son and wanting him to live close to her and… dagnabbit, I can’t keep a straight face.

🎶 Sorry Ms. Jackson I am for real…🎶

Try having a son who lives on the other side of the planet and doesn’t have bazillions to visit his mum frequently. 

*sigh* Anyways I apologise for always banging on about this. Once the deal’s done and he’s gone back to Perth, I shall whinge no more. I promise. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I reckon Freo will regress next year. Disharmony in the camp, a gameplan that is outdated already, tougher fixture, an injury of 2. Their future first may well be a high top 10 pick

Imagine if they had a shocker like we did in 2019. How much fun would it be death riding that pick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BDA said:

I reckon Freo will regress next year. Disharmony in the camp, a gameplan that is outdated already, tougher fixture, an injury of 2. Their future first may well be a high top 10 pick

Imagine if they had a shocker like we did in 2019. How much fun would it be death riding that pick

I disagree the game plan is outdated. It's just whether you have a) the talent to carry it out (ie win CP - they do) and b) the fitness to implement it for 24-25 weeks.

Freo's forward problems are just about as dire as ours. Jackson will help them around stoppages and up forward. They need to target some good forwards though and hope Amis comes on.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, layzie said:

We've all been victim of the cruddy smartphone keyboard!

I've seen a bit of him, what stands out to me so far is his mobility, he moves really well for a guy his size. He also seems like an exceptional overhead mark and everyone loves a left footer. 

I've only watched a couple of mins of footage but there are question marks for me. Wasn't sold on his ability below the knees, marking or kicking to be honest (particularly within play rather than set shot). That said, he certainly seemed to find space off the ball which is extremely important. Almost the opposite of how Weideman looked at U18s - he had the technical attributes but never seemed to get any ball in space (mostly as he didn't need to as he outreached everyone when the ball was plonked on his head) 

KPFs are so hard to judge in U18s. They get very little of the ball, their opponents usually aren't very good and the games are often one-sided - a good midfield can make them look much better than they are. 

It's almost preferable drafting someone who's shown ability at both ends - ala JVR, Naughton to a degree, Hogan etc. You just see them exposed to more situations - coming at a pack from behind, the side, as well as leading, plus more ground ball / rounded stuff 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Cadman is a 196cm mobile, competitive type. The Jeremy Cameron comps come from his capacity to work higher up the ground and get touches. Regularly picked up 18 to 20 touches in the back end of the NAB League season and popped up with big marks and goals in important moments. Improving below his knees (not a giraffe) could be cleaner.

His inside 50 play is similar to Harry McKay (including some technical issues with kicking). Good distance on his kicks, can spray them. Seems a really good kid, willing to learn. Has improved a lot this year, particularly with reading the ball in flight. Think he’s well and truly the best kpf in the draft pool.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

26 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

If you needed further evidence of what really has been going on with the kid and his family, look no further than the post his mother made on Facebook. A lot can be read into that

The post where she - as a member of the MFC supporters page - went out of her way to say MFC will always have a special place in their heart and graciously thanked club and fans? The one where a mother said she is proud of her son and looking forward to having him home again after a few years of Covid lockdowns? Nah haven’t seen that one yet, better post it in here again mate so we can all scrutinize it!

Regardless of if his parents influenced his decision or not, the decision is made. We move on. There’s nothing to be gained by us all whinging and creating narratives to justify it to ourselves.

Now he’s officially leaving, our focus should solely be on what value we can extract in a trade to improve our team.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BDA said:

I have them sliding next year but not because I don’t rate them. I think they have a lot of players who were crucial to their rise up the ladder this year out of contract this year or next year and it’s looking like they won’t be keeping them all. I also think that while we might have some grievances with our game style, the Dockers probably have more glaring issues with theirs. The organised and accountable ‘control the play’ style when the whips were cracking doesn’t seem like it is going to scare a lot of teams in the current climate.

I also wouldn’t call them a good team at moving the ball I think their mids are fantastic with their two way running and things they do without the ball but transitioning in possession is something they need to work on. Yes I know people will point to the game we had against them at the G this year, they were down 4 goals at half time and threw caution to the wind with some bold moves and had a set of circumstances in that game going for them that would not occur every week.

I like what they’ve done but I can see them needing to step backwards to go forwards. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, fr_ap said:

I've only watched a couple of mins of footage but there are question marks for me. Wasn't sold on his ability below the knees, marking or kicking to be honest (particularly within play rather than set shot). That said, he certainly seemed to find space off the ball which is extremely important. Almost the opposite of how Weideman looked at U18s - he had the technical attributes but never seemed to get any ball in space (mostly as he didn't need to as he outreached everyone when the ball was plonked on his head) 

KPFs are so hard to judge in U18s. They get very little of the ball, their opponents usually aren't very good and the games are often one-sided - a good midfield can make them look much better than they are. 

It's almost preferable drafting someone who's shown ability at both ends - ala JVR, Naughton to a degree, Hogan etc. You just see them exposed to more situations - coming at a pack from behind, the side, as well as leading, plus more ground ball / rounded stuff 

Really good points there. They can pad their stats a bit at that level and there can be a lot of fool's gold. 

Have to agree on his ability below the knees isn't great and I've only really seen him take set shots in regards to kicking but apart from that his general forward craft isn't too bad.

Edited by layzie
Spelling

13 minutes ago, layzie said:

Really good points there. They can pad their stats a bit at that level anbd there can be a lot of fool's gold. 

Have to agree on his ability below the knees isn't great and I've only really seen him take set shots in regards to kicking but apart from that his general forward craft isn't too bad.

Cadman's not perfect, no prospect is. He's not the best with ground balls, and like most talls it may take him a few years to build enough strength to consistently win those grappling marking contests he excels at in his current competition age bracket. His strengths directly address our weaknesses though IMO.
He's a really strong mark all round, whether on the lead, overhead, or in a wrestle. He played defense when he was younger and shifted forward this year to great effect due to being able to read the ball and play really well. There's multiple instances in the championships where he had the ball come in high and he marked it overhead while out-wrestling others or with blokes hanging off him in a pack.
He's also a proven goal kicker, averaging 3.6 goals a game at underage level and being the leading goalkicker at underage level and the champs.

Our main issues up forward are a strong marking tall target, and lack of goal scoring firepower. Cadman's a strong mark and big goal kicker. That's exactly what we need. He'd be the right target for us if we have a top 5 draft pick from the Jackson trade, as he's top 5 on talent and fills our biggest list hole.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 8
  • Thinking 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:17 AM, Ben said:

Not many have the opportunity to. Most people work where they’ve always lived, and who could blame them? Families are better together.

Jackson put his hand up in the draft in 2019 and had no say on where he would be going. He’s given us three years, he’s seen out his contract. As a premiership player for us, I’ll still love him and wish him all the best back west.

Agree with your sentiments in last para.

But it's a national comp and he had a 1 in 9 chance of staying home. Buy in or play another sport.

My overall fear is the AFL is now heading into an EPL style comp where most teams have no chance of improving themselves.

Its a real worry IMO to maintain public interest.

If the upcoming money sink of Tasmania gets up 9along with GWS and Gold Coast), I reckon it spells the certain relegation/promotion system.