Jump to content

Farewell Luke Jackson


Lucifers Hero

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, mo64 said:

The 1st time I heard the "unicorn" tag it was used to describe draftee NBA player Kristaps Porzingis. He was drafted no.4 overall as a 7 ft 3 centre, but what made him a unicorn was his ability to shoot 3 pointers. Had a great start to his career, but after 7 seasons he's now at his 3rd club. He's had his share of big scoring games and his share of injuries, but the biggest criticism of him is that he doesn't do what is expected of a big man in the NBA. He's not a good rebounder and doesn't use his size to be a good defender. The "unicorn" tag was all hype.

This brings me to Jackson. His greatest strength as a big man is his ability at ground level. That's why he's tagged as a "unicorn". He's a developing ruckman, and I think he can become an elite tap ruckman, in the Nik Nat mould. If he reaches Nik Nat's standards, that puts him in the elite ruckman status. But as a big, I'd say he's a poor mark even for his age. I thought he took a big step last year with his marking, but has regressed this year.

So how do people project his career, and his impact on the team, regardless of whether he stays or goes. For the next potentially 3-5 years, he'll be playing 2nd fiddle to Max or Darcy.

IMO, he can only earn the "unicorn" tag if he becomes an elite contested mark.

First time I heard was with Giannis… 

Swings and roundabouts…

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rpfc said:

First time I heard was with Giannis… 

Swings and roundabouts…

But Giannis is a great rebounder and rim protector. The initial criticism on him was his inconsistent shooting. But the "unicorn" tag is fitting for Giannis.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Pretty much exactly how I would have expected the club to act with him right now. 

The club hasn't really got a choice ... when a player leaves the club typically find out in trade week not in the lead up to finals so they have to wait anyhow

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

He certainly was an individual!   

 

Uhm, thanks?

I’d forgotten how god-awful this was. 
Was happy to have forgotten. 
Am now on Day One of building up another forgetting of it. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Exactky what kane Cornes thinks also.

Again this week he said LJ is NOT what Freo needs.

He's  not a forward, has no forward craft, he's a No.1 ruck.  They have Darcy, a 24 year old star, why do they want Luke.?

1. Darcy loves an injury 

2. Darcy is a good set shot and a good clunk marker. I think he’s well ahead of Gawn for forward craft at the same age. Key forwards are getting harder to find. If you can have 2 rucks you don’t need 2 gun key forwards.

3. Jacko is seriously special around the ground. We haven’t seen it all that often because our game plan is stodgy at times but Freo like to open it up and then Luke can run rucks off their feet and open up the corridor as an extra mid. He can do the stuff Blicavs does for Geelong.

4. LJ’s excellent start to his career has hidden his rate of development and potential for growth. There’s a risk he gets a bit Grundy like and stalls or regresses. But look at Tim English, after years of getting man handled the lights have gone on this year and he’s killing them. Age wise, Jacko shouldn’t even have debuted!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Redleg said:

 

I know this could sound silly, but I just wonder if the club sees some deficiencies in LJ's game and accept that at some stage he would like to go home and see this as an opportunity to solve our key forward and ruck issues, by perhaps getting a key forward and ruck from Freo, plus a pick good enough to get another key forward in the draft.

That could end up 3 players for one, who are all best 22 for us.

 

The problem with that idea is best 22 AFL rucks and key forwards that fit within our system are incredibly rare. Jacko is one. I’ve said repeatedly that I think McStay would be one. Jack Gunston would be too. Lobb would, but we don’t seem interested.

Everyone else after that is a prospect. Meek’s a nice one, but he might not fit with Gawn, similar to big Preussy (if less eccentric). He might be Max’s back up not Max’s partner. Treacy’s a nice depth option.

Once Luke announces he wants to go I think Freo will negotiate hard but eventually put something like the Lever or Hogan deal on the table. 2 firsts. Or a good first and a second. We’ll then have to accept it and do the best we can. It might take 12-24 months to actually target and land the Jackson replacement, yet alone the Brown/Macca key forward we need.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Nathan Wilson apparently looking at options. Would we have any interest? 

He is a good quality half back. I think he is quick and can kick

But not exactly a key need for us

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

The 1st time I heard the "unicorn" tag it was used to describe draftee NBA player Kristaps Porzingis. He was drafted no.4 overall as a 7 ft 3 centre, but what made him a unicorn was his ability to shoot 3 pointers. Had a great start to his career, but after 7 seasons he's now at his 3rd club. He's had his share of big scoring games and his share of injuries, but the biggest criticism of him is that he doesn't do what is expected of a big man in the NBA. He's not a good rebounder and doesn't use his size to be a good defender. The "unicorn" tag was all hype.

This brings me to Jackson. His greatest strength as a big man is his ability at ground level. That's why he's tagged as a "unicorn". He's a developing ruckman, and I think he can become an elite tap ruckman, in the Nik Nat mould. If he reaches Nik Nat's standards, that puts him in the elite ruckman status. But as a big, I'd say he's a poor mark even for his age. I thought he took a big step last year with his marking, but has regressed this year.

So how do people project his career, and his impact on the team, regardless of whether he stays or goes. For the next potentially 3-5 years, he'll be playing 2nd fiddle to Max or Darcy.

IMO, he can only earn the "unicorn" tag if he becomes an elite contested mark.

Porzingus got injured and it curtailed his career. The trajectory of his decline - coincides with his ACL. Outside of the label ‘unicorn’, you cannot compare the two. Jackson isn’t solely a ruck, in the way Porzigus is solely a center with the ability to shoot outside. Jackson can play forward, mid, back, ruck. He could play any of those positions. It’s only due to size that he’s tabbed as a ruckman, and to be fair, his craft as a ruck appears to hold up in big pressure games. That ability to push the ball forward, tackle hard, and link as a midfielder - is a set of skills that stands up when the pressure is on.

But outside of the media label, Jackson Is no unicorn. He is simply a big, raw, versatile young lad, who has a set of skills that stand up well in big games, where pressure and momentum are at a premium. Jackson will resign with us, and we’ll be lucky that he does. We won’t afford his next signature. And that is fine too. 

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The problem with that idea is best 22 AFL rucks and key forwards that fit within our system are incredibly rare. Jacko is one. I’ve said repeatedly that I think McStay would be one. Jack Gunston would be too. Lobb would, but we don’t seem interested.

Everyone else after that is a prospect. Meek’s a nice one, but he might not fit with Gawn, similar to big Preussy (if less eccentric). He might be Max’s back up not Max’s partner. Treacy’s a nice depth option.

Once Luke announces he wants to go I think Freo will negotiate hard but eventually put something like the Lever or Hogan deal on the table. 2 firsts. Or a good first and a second. We’ll then have to accept it and do the best we can. It might take 12-24 months to actually target and land the Jackson replacement, yet alone the Brown/Macca key forward we need.

We don’t have to accept any Freo offer, that’s the point.

A player we get, might be better than our current option and then is best 22. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a star. As an example, Larkey of the Roos is no star, but is better than our current options.

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Do you say that from knowledge, or just opinion?

Just an opinion.

I don’t think there is much value attached to him, so I can’t see him forming part of the deal 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Uhm, thanks?

I’d forgotten how god-awful this was. 
Was happy to have forgotten. 
Am now on Day One of building up another forgetting of it. 

good luck, wcw.  it's definitely worthy of forgetting but difficult to erase such disturbing images once having seen them

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

image.jpeg.9c7d47968438046bbabbba09cf6774e7.jpeg

The unicorn was part of Scotland's coinage between 1484 and 1525. We also had a half unicorn. I think Rod Stewart might've been our first unicorn millionaire. 

if only he was really scottish of course, rab

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

Porzingus got injured and it curtailed his career. The trajectory of his decline - coincides with his ACL. Outside of the label ‘unicorn’, you cannot compare the two. Jackson isn’t solely a ruck, in the way Porzigus is solely a center with the ability to shoot outside. Jackson can play forward, mid, back, ruck. He could play any of those positions. It’s only due to size that he’s tabbed as a ruckman, and to be fair, his craft as a ruck appears to hold up in big pressure games. That ability to push the ball forward, tackle hard, and link as a midfielder - is a set of skills that stands up when the pressure is on.

But outside of the media label, Jackson Is no unicorn. He is simply a big, raw, versatile young lad, who has a set of skills that stand up well in big games, where pressure and momentum are at a premium. Jackson will resign with us, and we’ll be lucky that he does. We won’t afford his next signature. And that is fine too. 

Jackson hasn't demonstrated at AFL level that he can play forward, mid or back at an elite level. If he was even a capable forward, it would ease a lot of our current woes through injury.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

His dad was from Leith but he was born down south which is hardy his fault, to be fair. 

but his mum was english and he spent most of his life in england. i also know many scots think he's a faux scot.

but let's be generous and say he is one of your referenced rare half-unicorns 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Jackson hasn't demonstrated at AFL level that he can play forward, mid or back at an elite level. If he was even a capable forward, it would ease a lot of our current woes through injury.

In all fairness, Key Forwards or rucks even rarely have an impact in their first few years. Jackson has had an impact more in the ruck but has done a little damage up forward (well short of what we'd like obviously). His game time is also quite low compared to others, which begs a question around fitness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 525

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

    POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

    GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959

    MELBOURNE BUSINESS by The Oracle

    In days of old, this week’s Thursday night AFL match up between the Demons and the Blues would be framed on the basis of the need to redress the fact that Carlton “stole” last year’s semi final away from Melbourne and with it, their hopes for the premiership.  A hot gospelling coach might point out to his charges that they were the better team on the night in all facets and that poor kicking for goal and a couple of lapses at the death cost them what was rightfully theirs. Moreover, now was

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...