Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

17 minutes ago, mmwd6 said:

My favourite thing is how him and have manager have both come out and essentially said he was never going to west Coast, meaning he just said it to make himself look good. 

Not necessarily. He could also have said it to... ensure we didn't get [censored] over.

I was honestly happy to send him on his way and take the picks and move on but that comment of having decided mid year isn't sitting right with me. 

His performances looked like someone who mentally wasn't committed, and I'm surprised the club persisted in playing him if they were aware that this was coming. 

I hope he does a Hogan or a Tom Boyd and blows up his career under the weight of expectation and constant partying. 

Hope we play Freo at the G next year so we can all give him the welcome he deserves. 

Any chance we could bring back Aaron Vandemonberg for one game just to deliver a hip and shoulder that sends him into next year. 

Good riddance.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tom Dyson said:

I was honestly happy to send him on his way and take the picks and move on but that comment of having decided mid year isn't sitting right with me. 

His performances looked like someone who mentally wasn't committed, and I'm surprised the club persisted in playing him if they were aware that this was coming. 

I hope he does a Hogan or a Tom Boyd and blows up his career under the weight of expectation and constant partying. 

Hope we play Freo at the G next year so we can all give him the welcome he deserves. 

Any chance we could bring back Aaron Vandemonberg for one game just to deliver a hip and shoulder that sends him into next year. 

Good riddance.

Absolutely spot on. He had committed to Freo mid year and played like it. Lied to everyone and then just casually admitted to it today. Still hasn’t really offered a reason why he wanted out. Says he wasn’t homesick. Literally, I wanted to play for Freo, as I supported them as a kid. More like, I am getting paid heaps of cash and I get to go home. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

May, Jackson, Kozzie, Rivers, Nibbler, Sparrow, Petty, Brown all played in the drought breaking Premiership and all non Vics, I agree you just back yourself. I had heard 2020 with Covid impacted Jackson settling in, however thought the close bond forged with the group in 2021 may have fixed that

Do you happen to have your ear to the ground re JVR and how he's settled in? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Do you happen to have your ear to the ground re JVR and how he's settled in? 

Just the word that all the WA boys taken in 2021 have settled in well as a group but nothing specific to JVR.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

Unicorns like their flags are nonexistent. 

I really had my toe tapping just then. 

Rather funky tune. 🔥

• Haha 1

Another way to view things is if Jackson stayed how much would we have paid him ongoing? (after such a disappointing 2022 season)

And was he going to improve?  Maybe not

There would be no Grundy, no to the 2 x 1st round picks ... or the extra 2nd round pick

Our first pick would have been in the 30's and that's about it.  As we've found out, Hunt, Bedford, Weideman (?) going wasn't going to add in top end draft picks.  Only Jackson had real currency

Clearing Jackson allows to the club to renew & add players and clear out a few others to make way

Edited by Macca
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How is it equivalent to pick 5 or 6? Unless Freo finish 14th or 13th next year.

If Freo have the same picks next year, 13 + 32, the points value of that is pick 6 but is close to being pick 5. If they drop a place or two or academy picks or whatever push them slightly up the order then it quickly becomes pick 5. Any combo of mid first round with mid second round works out around pick 5, it doesn't even take much to be looking at pick 4, e.g. 10 + 29.

OK, grain of salt, and of course Freo would be hoping that they'd improve their position, but that's how the points play out. Who knows how Taylor and Lamb play their cards here.

• Like 1

I'm ok with this trade and the outcome. Hard to imagine us doing much better when there is such a limited market to sell into.... just one buyer. 

There was haggling to be sure and I believe that we did as well a we could. The picks we got this year nd next will bring in some young talent and the selections we have will also allow us to trade into a few deals next season. With Jackson's performances over the season I think it was obvious that he was not 100% committed and I did not see his performances improving if, by some chance he was forced to stay.

I like the way that the club has handled the situations of player moving on. Jackson OOC and wanting to move home. We thank him for his service, we wish him well and do what we can to get a proper return on the sale. Bedford, similar. We let him and the footy world know we would have liked to keep him but understand his point of view wanting more senior game time and do what we can to et him to his preferred destination. 

Doing things like that will help us in our future dealings with players and their agents.

Dees in 23!!!

• Like 4

Have to say with recent media, I'm grumpy on reflection now, as his 2nd half of the year performance now seems to have been faked. That when everyone else is trying their guts out smacks of a dog act. Patrick Dangerfield played to the last second with the Crows, that was class.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Can someone calculate where Freo would have to finish next year for us to break even on this deal, i.e. where would they need to land next year, for us to get Pick 3 worth of points from Pick 13, R1 + R2..? 

Please?

Will help with the "death riding" next year...

Regarding the points clac their F2 is roughly offset by getting our 44 and 67 this year both of which will come in a long way after the second and third round picks are used for matching  F/S and academy bids.  44 will become 30 something and 67 will become 50 something,

So the points value of the deal is worth 13 and F1.  Pick wise they get a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year while we get their F2 which are roughly equal). 

Forget the points;  enjoy the 'death ride'; we will all be on that train with you🙃.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3

Jackson deciding in the middle of the year explains Goodwin's comment around that time that the club had said no pressure to decide, just give us your best football for the rest of the season.  That comment now looks like the club was concerned he would tune out.  It is hard to say whether he did or didn't but it wasn't a good season from him.

I'm indifferent to him leaving.  He is now just another bogan.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Regarding the points clac their F2 is roughly offset by getting our 44 and 67 this year both of which will come in a long way

Surely that applies to their F2 as well, presumably it will also "come in a long way", or at least some way. Something in the 20's?

But if you're looking at this through the points system, 44 + 67 = pick 40 which is only a third rounder and some way below the second round pick we received in return. So hard to understand how you can suggest that that second round pick is cancelled out by the couple of low picks we sent to Freo.

(If that's what you're saying ...)

Edited by bing181

6 minutes ago, bing181 said:

But surely that applies to their F2 as well, presumably it will also "come in a long way", or at least some way. Something in the 20's?

It depends how many F/S and Academy players there are next year and how highly they are rated,  This year Ashcroft (pick 1/2) and Fletcher are top 10.  Davey jr is in the 10-20 range and iirc there is at least one other NGA player in that range.

Those clubs cash out their first round and high second round picks and use late 2nd and later picks to match.

Because next year's clubs that can match bids will cash out their first and high second round picks Freo's F2 likely to be around pick 30-33, may not come in much if at all.

• Like 1

I wasn’t happy with how he or his manager handled themselves and the last 24 hours have not changed my mind. 
The only reason more supporters aren’t angry about this charade is because we won a flag last year with Jackson playing a big part. But guess what, we would have won it even without him. Would he have been a RS, a premiership player or gotten a $7,000,000 contract without Melbourne? No he wouldn’t have. Seems ungrateful. 

Don’t wish him ill of course, but don’t wish him luck either. The grass isn’t always greener Jackson. 
Enjoy the WA bubble. You’ll sure as hell want to perform now!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I wasn’t happy with how he or his manager handled themselves and the last 24 hours have not changed my mind. 
The only reason more supporters aren’t angry about this charade is because we won a flag last year with Jackson playing a big part. But guess what, we would have won it even without him. Would he have been a RS, a premiership player or gotten a $7,000,000 contract without Melbourne? No he wouldn’t have. Seems ungrateful. 

Don’t wish him ill of course, but don’t wish him luck either. The grass isn’t always greener Jackson. 
Enjoy the WA bubble. You’ll sure as hell want to perform now!

He’s going to Perth to party with his mates.

Not to play footy or have a cuppa with his Mum.

So...

Met directly with Freo mid year in-contract with MFC

Said later in the year he hadn't thought too much about a new contract and was focused on footy

Once Dogga indicated he was returning to WA was open to either club

MFC said during trade time the Dogga hadn't indicated which club

Honestly, what a dumb [censored] Dogga is. Surely his manager would've told him emphatically to not say anything too revealing, just thank MFC and the fans, say he's happy to be home and that he looks forward to playing footy next year. Amongst the most stupid things he could've said was that he met with Freo mid year and decided then that he was leaving to go there

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 7

So next year we have got 2 x F1 & 2 x F2

And this year we have now got picks 13 & 27 only (plus the late picks only to be used on a rookie upgrade or 2) Pick 27 will be needed for Grundy (at least) 

But we need another pick (or 2?) this year if we are drafting 2 or more players (by all accounts our 3rd pick will be Chandler upgraded)

So 1 or 2 of next year's picks could be traded for another pick or 2 this year ... we could deal with GCS or GWS for that to happen

Moving up in the draft this year is on the cards as well

Edited by Macca

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

So next year we have got 2 x F1 & 2 x F2

And this year we have now got picks 13 & 27 only (plus the late picks only to be used on a rookie upgrade or 2) Pick 27 will be needed for Grundy (at least) 

But we need another pick this year if we are drafting 2 players (by all accounts our 3rd pick will be Chandler upgraded)

So 1 or 2 of next year's picks could be traded for another pick or 2 this year ... we could deal with GCS or GWS for that to happen

Moving up in the draft this year is on the cards as well

We could promote Turner scheduled for 2023, one year early and take just one pick to the draft.

Having said that Lamb said last week we will take two draftees so some movement to come with #13 or as you say 2023 picks.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

We could promote Turner scheduled for 2023, one year early and take just one pick to the draft.

We could do that as well as draft 2 players ... by my reckoning it would be 1st or 2nd round for draftees as that's where we've trended

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Which only serves to support my theory that his exit was handled appallingly. His mum and brother made him out to be some sort of martyr on Facebook, both praising him for hia courage. He made his mind up mid season and checked out. Still playing the charade of staying potentially. Then he said he’d help the club get the best deal, knowing full well tht he was off to Freo. Freo always knew they could screw us over. And they did. He is now on the dislike list. 

I know it’s the off-season, but usually when a liked player leaves, or recommits, other players post something on social media. So far, just Harmes and Kozzy. Perhaps he has been on the outer since news of his leaving was made known internally. 

I asked you many pages back why you think the club has handled his exit badly and you couldn't back it up. Now you say its "a theory", crapping on that he checked out mid year. Maybe he did but I will ask again. What would you have done? This time please respond.