Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland - Pick 17

Demonland

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Why not ban all testing?

Just rank the draftees by their commitment to climate change and equality action and draft accordingly.....

The kids that don’t want to go the interstate teams are just thinking about the carbon footprint of their plane rides I’ve heard 

• Love 1

Interestingly GWS recently stated they go best available except when they already have a surplus of that type. They have lost young players who cannot get get a regular game through a strict best available rule. When they are well stocked with the best available at their pick they now consider needs.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2021 at 7:57 AM, BAMF said:

Thoughts on Wilmont? Touted around our pick. If he was one day younger he would be in next year's draft.

Darcy Wilmont

Defender

183cm/75kg

31/12/03

Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Wilmot is undoubtedly an eye-catcher: he plays with an aggressive, combative streak out of half-back and takes the game on. The Northern Knights prospect can gallop out of defence and is competitive in the air against opponents who may be bigger and stronger than him at this point of his development. Wilmot is the youngest player in the draft – he turns 18 on December 31 – and he looms as a real top-20 chance next month.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685788/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-top-draft-prospects-october-ranking

When I was going through the highlights a week or so ago he was the first player that just looked like a Taylor player. Hard at it, loves what he does, runs both ways, makes good decisions. While I'd love Sinn, Sonsie, etc. I think that Wilmont might be the one on draft night. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dee-licious said:

When I was going through the highlights a week or so ago he was the first player that just looked like a Taylor player. Hard at it, loves what he does, runs both ways, makes good decisions. While I'd love Sinn, Sonsie, etc. I think that Wilmont might be the one on draft night. 

A pretty ambitious call....has some Frost ball in him it seems

On 11/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, manny100 said:

Interestingly GWS recently stated they go best available except when they already have a surplus of that type. They have lost young players who cannot get get a regular game through a strict best available rule. When they are well stocked with the best available at their pick they now consider needs.

Losing Jye Caldwell for cents on the dollar as well as other young mids definitely influence that change for them. With Hopper, Taranto, Ward, Kelly, Green, Coniglio, De Boer etc they are just stacked for on ball options and can’t fit them in.

I think we’d be cautious drafting a pure clearance midfielder for similar reasons, but we don’t have to be as worried about the go home factor. A young ruck probably isn’t priority number 1 either. Otherwise I don’t think we’d be stressing on whether there’s a clear spot for any early picks 

So who are the likely 6 candidates for our pick (17)

And are we going for best available, best in position or are we confident of getting one actual player that we have earmarked?  Or could we still move up in the draft?

I've had a bit of a read of the thread but is there any clarity emerging yet?

What's the go?

Oh, and am I right in saying that we turned Dom Tyson into Ben Brown? 

Remembering that Preuss was swapped to us in the Tyson deal and then Preuss went to GWS for pick 31 and we then traded pick 33 in that same trade period for Ben Brown (along with a swap of picks in the 20's (26 & 28)

Edited by Macca

9 hours ago, Macca said:

So who are the likely 6 candidates for our pick (17)

And are we going for best available, best in position or are we confident of getting one actual player that we have earmarked?  Or could we still move up in the draft?

I've had a bit of a read of the thread but is there any clarity emerging yet?

What's the go?

Oh, and am I right in saying that we turned Dom Tyson into Ben Brown? 

Remembering that Preuss was swapped to us in the Tyson deal and then Preuss went to GWS for pick 31 and we then traded pick 33 in that same trade period for Ben Brown (along with a swap of picks in the 20's (26 & 28)

No real clarity Macca. We are discussing potential options but there is no one who has any inside knowledge of who we are looking at.

There seem to be a number of hbf/hff/running mids types that the phantom drafts predict will be taken around our pick that we are discussing but its all just a bit of guess work.

Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Taylor, Goater, Owen are some of the names we think are in the mix.

Besides these players there is a 193cm tall forward JVR from WA who will be around our pick. There is a another thread devoted to him.

As for the Ben Brown trade... it technically wasn't Tyson for Brown as it didn't involve exact picks, but it pretty much worked out that way!

Tyson for Preuss was probably a slight win for us despite Pruess not playing much. We needed that backup ruck on our list for insurance.

As you mentioned Pruess was traded to GWS for second round pick # 31.

Brown was received from North along with pick 28 and future fourth rounder. We gave up pick 26, 33 and our future fourth rounder.

So essentially it was pick 33 with a few trimmings which I view as Preuss for Brown. An absolute steal for us in hindsight as we really needed another tall forward.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BAMF said:

No real clarity Macca. We are discussing potential options but there is no one who has any inside knowledge of who we are looking at.

There seem to be a number of hbf/hff/running mids types that the phantom drafts predict will be taken around our pick that we are discussing but its all just a bit of guess work.

Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Taylor, Goater, Owen are some of the names we think are in the mix.

Besides these players there is a 193cm tall forward JVR from WA who will be around our pick. There is a another thread devoted to him.

As for the Ben Brown trade... it technically wasn't Tyson for Brown as it didn't involve exact picks, but it pretty much worked out that way!

Tyson for Preuss was probably a slight win for us despite Pruess not playing much. We needed that backup ruck on our list for insurance.

As you mentioned Pruess was traded to GWS for second round pick # 31.

Brown was received from North along with pick 28 and future fourth rounder. We gave up pick 26, 33 and our future fourth rounder.

So essentially it was pick 33 with a few trimmings which I view as Preuss for Brown. An absolute steal for us in hindsight as we really needed another tall forward.

Thanks for that

If the pick is for a needed position then KPF could be it so the WA lad might be the target ... remembering that we'll need a good KPD in 2 years or so (if Weideman doesn't improve enough)

And tall draftees generally need time in the system to develop.  Or maybe we go for another wingman/midfielder for greater depth

Edited by Macca
grammar

5 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

Bro, we won the flag. It's a new era. There is no need to take cheap shots at our master coach anymore. 

Plus half the guys we thought couldn't kick, now can. 

Not sure if sarcastic…

Goody and Taylor love good kicks. Those two players are questionable in that aspect

13 minutes ago, godees said:

Not sure if sarcastic…

Goody and Taylor love good kicks. Those two players are questionable in that aspect

Apologies......I thought you were referring to goody loving tough players who can’t kick (may have previously thought this myself) 

Road too the draft podcast has us picking up Blake Howes at 17.

Cal Twomey' description (hes had him at 28 ). Kevin Sheahan picked him in podcast):

Forward/midfielder
190cm/79kg
7/4/03
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Howes' running for a player his size has been one of his key attributes and he showed that with his 2km time trial, with the Victorian clocking 6:08 minutes to place fourth among the Vic Metro prospects. Howes is a tall wingman who can also play as a third tall forward, where he began this season for Vic Metro. He reads the ball well in the air and is a modern prototype who can get moving on the outside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manny100 said:

Road too the draft podcast has us picking up Blake Howes at 17.

Cal Twomey' description (hes had him at 28 ). Kevin Sheahan picked him in podcast):

Forward/midfielder
190cm/79kg
7/4/03
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Howes' running for a player his size has been one of his key attributes and he showed that with his 2km time trial, with the Victorian clocking 6:08 minutes to place fourth among the Vic Metro prospects. Howes is a tall wingman who can also play as a third tall forward, where he began this season for Vic Metro. He reads the ball well in the air and is a modern prototype who can get moving on the outside. 

Well Fraser Rosman is under pressure if we pick Rodney Howes!!! Also from Sandy Dragons!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Dees landed the 2021 1st round pick from the Dogs, as part of the mega trade between Dees, Dogs, Crows and Saints. With Crows getting MFC 1st round 2022 pick. 
So we get into the first round with pick 17, wisely mooted as pick 19 given the Darcy and Daicos bids. 

Once again the Dees have invested in a buy-now-pay-later trade.  We had benefitted previously from this to get Weideman, Pickett and Bowey from such earlier deals. 

It now means we are into the frame to get another young gun into the club. It might be a slider like Sinn, Sonsie or Goater.  Or through media predictions likely a Howes, Chesser, Wilmot, or Brown. Or Van-Rooyen as a flexible future key fwd/defender. Or Mitch Knevitt as a prototype tall midfielder.  Or even conduct a Stk NGA steal of Mitchito Owens is another potential option. JT will have lots of strategies and names.  His preparation is undoubtedly one of the best (if not the very best ) in the league. He may even try further magic and trade up the board with another gun in his sights. 

Whatever the outcome, it should be the start of an AFL journey for a young player and and an exciting night for him and his family and friends.  Certainly the Dees have become a preferred club now and we boast an excellent development setup headed by Yze and Choco, to help youngsters realise their dreams. 

JT 🏆️ has been one of the keys behind the Dees success and we can trust in his decisions and strategies.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mach5 said:

I know it sounds silly, but I got definite diet-Fyfe vibes from watching Owens highlights.

I like Knevitt’s raw potential paired with consistency and high volume possessions, but I think that’ll mean he’s not available for us.

Bump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mach5 said:

I know it sounds silly, but I got definite diet-Fyfe vibes from watching Owens highlights.

Yes, it was truly amazing that, at a time when half of football’s punditry were going ape over Mac Andrew and the Suns picked him at #5 (one after Nick Daicos), club recruiters gave St Kilda a free hit at Owens and to a lesser extent, Windhager.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:40 AM, Jaded No More said:

Name a year it’s come back to bite us so far… 

We have a very young list and are eyeing off a top 4 finish for the next few seasons. We won’t be giving up a top 10 pick. It’s not a big risk. 

It is potentially a younger list when about 3:4 at Casey perform consistently to  put real pressure on the AFL "role players" and occasional players who go missing st times but just  hang on in there. 
Butcwe are about 5th or 6 th oldest due to Hibbo Tmac aNd Browny. 

• Like 1