Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland: Luke Dunstan

Whispering_Jack

I've watched him closely & l reckon his game went to another level this season when he started kicking the ball more often. Prior to that he was a bit of a turnover merchant with Hollywood style handballs. Credit to him & not unlike Clarry, he is now a more complete footballer. A handy pick up & ready made inclusion should our midfield get hit by injury in 2022.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Luke Dunstan this morning on SEN Breakfast 

"The chatter will probably be 'you're not going to get a game, you'll be in the twos' but I'm going to back myself in.

"Speaking to Goody, he really focused on my strengths... and I'm excited to be a part of a happy group that are playing good footy and winning games."

Love it, bring it on LD!!! Love that there is going to be more pressure to get a game next year.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Gee those numbers look good. I guess in fairness, do need to consider that LD got heaps more midfield time vs the others who were squeezed out by King Clarry and GOAT Norm 

Maybe but these are Career averages so over the journey it may not matter 

11 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

The rationale suggested by some journos was that he's concerned that at sides where's he's a theoretical Round 1 best 22, he'll be at risk of being pushed out in favour of kids if the losses mount.

If you accept that as being true, he's made a decision to put himself into the queue with us in the hope of forcing his way into a premiership contender.

From the outside, not breaking in to the MFC 22 seems more likely than being arbitrarily dropped because of his age elsewhere, but I can understand why he might not see it that way, based on his own self-belief and his recent experience at St Kilda. 

The club’s in a no-lose position though. Hopefully Dunstan is right and he’s able to add something on a regular basis. If he’s not, we’ve lost nothing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

My Gawd he is Stephen Powell mrk2

* Penetrating and accurate left footer

* Clearance juggernaut

* Creative playmaker

* Can kick a goal

* He can and has got a right side

* Built like a brick shizzen

WOW and best of all... HE WAS FREE!

Really good observation about Duntan's overall similarity with Stephen Powell! We need one or two of this type of player, as described by your good self, above. Has his form slump (at the Saints) been the result of injury, poor management or challenging availability on offer? There must be some reason why the Saints want to let him go ... if there is, we can address and repair that circumstance. If not, it was a dumb decision. Welcome, Luke Dunstan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rpfc said:

Great. Luke is coming for his spot.

I trust Jason Taylor and the team for sure  but I wonder what the young midfielders (potentially) see in this given they have proven themselves already. Dunstan is walking into a superlative team and I can't see how this makes us better.

Depth is everything  and we are down one with Nathan Jones gone so maybe its just that. 

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Luke Dunstan this morning on SEN Breakfast 

"The chatter will probably be 'you're not going to get a game, you'll be in the twos' but I'm going to back myself in.

"Speaking to Goody, he really focused on my strengths... and I'm excited to be a part of a happy group that are playing good footy and winning games."

Thanks for this.

Imagine the difference in culture and , as he hinted, happiness, compared to the Saints locker room.

Got to be part of his thinking. The finals confirmed the potential dynasty next 4-5 years that everypne can see coming.

Why not try and be a part of that in the back end of a career?

• Like 1

What they are saying about this down at Linton St. The last comment here would sum up what they seem to think of Dunstan

Just seems strange to leave car out the front , doors open with keys in it while it still works and has some benefit ?

He’s just entering his prime and has a lot more good football to play.

A pretty clear example of appalling list management

Due to a personality clash with the coach it would seem. On field performance is 100% deserving of a spot.

he is a 2nd string mid who has no spread and butchers the ball

I always thought ratten was a nob. Now it's confirmed.

Yep, must be no good, only been picked up by the reigning premiers...

Maybe he will bring the Dees team back to the rest of the pack. One can only hope. http://saintsational.net/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

So it's not a straight swap for Christian Petracca?
I don’t rate Melbourne as a top 4 side either.

He also comfortably came second for us in the AFLCA votes too

Interesting...been on the list since 2014, never been in the best 22 and now we’re filthy that we’ve let a gun mid walk who was a just a late-bloomer.

Also interesting quote from Melbourne... "We think Luke’s best football is ahead of him and just as importantly, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for our club."

So he's a 'terrific culture fit' at the Premiers but apparently this was the reason Ratts got rid of him... what does that say?

Good at getting the footy terrible at disposing of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great pick up. Puts a stack of pressure on JJ and Sparrow to grow and secure their positions long term. 

The quality and commitment of the blokes picked 20-28 are what drives the quality of 16-22.

If there's little pressure coming from underneath, e.g. players likely to steal your spot if you perform poorly players could become complacent.

This was definitely a factor this year, Sparrow, JJ, LJ, Rivers, Spargo they just didn't want to lose their spots to Jones, Hibberd, Melksham, Jetta, Weideman etc. 

I wouldn't put to much store on Dunstan's Brownlow and AFLCA votes.  Other than Steel there was no competition.  

At the Demons he may get no votes as they are more likely to our top 6 players but will he be a better and more valuable player than when he plays than at the Saints..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarNorthernD said:

I don’t rate Melbourne as a top 4 side either.

I like the above comment from their supporter forum.  Reminds me of one I found on The Age Real Footy podcast comments this morning:

phil lewis

3 HOURS AGO

Melbourne were lucky on Grand Final day. Footscray were well in front and playing the best footy of the game, then fatigue from playing 7 straight games on the road finally caught up with them. If Melbourne want to take credit for that they are delusional. There last 1 and half quarters was the best footy played all year, against a team that had nothing more to give.

That  jealousy and envy is hard to comprehend all at once.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how these muppets rated us, if we got lucky etc.  We did it all season FFS, finished on top of the ladder and wiped floor with the competition in finals.  It doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.  Suck it up lads.
Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I like the above comment from their supporter forum.  Reminds me of one I found on The Age Real Footy podcast comments this morning:

phil lewis

3 HOURS AGO

Melbourne were lucky on Grand Final day. Footscray were well in front and playing the best footy of the game, then fatigue from playing 7 straight games on the road finally caught up with them. If Melbourne want to take credit for that they are delusional. There last 1 and half quarters was the best footy played all year, against a team that had nothing more to give.

That  jealousy and envy is hard to comprehend all at once.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how these muppets rated us, if we got lucky etc.  We did it all season FFS, finished on top of the ladder and wiped floor with the competition in finals.  It doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.  Suck it up lads.

Not to mention the Dogs had a week off to refresh, which has never happened in the history of GFs.

A lot of the commentary prior was that the bye before GF would suit Bulldogs, as they had played more games and wuld be match hardened.

Now because they had to play one extra game with some travel, because they lost the right to home finals, they were hard done by. The same could be said for clubs in 2016 who had to play the dogs after the bye helped them actually win a flag. End of the day the best side won, and by a fair margin.

Edited by Action Jackson
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

phil lewis

3 HOURS AGO

WOW!

Who the hell is phil lewis? 

Surely a doggies supporter.......Hey Phil - Freed from desire.....

Edited by 1964_2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Saints second best in terms of coaches votes! 

It really is bizarre they'd let him walk. Definitely could've attracted something in return the Saints, maybe not from us, but from someone. 

Seems like very good fortune for the Dees 

If Ratten doesn't really rate Dunstan, perhaps he got all his votes from the opposition coaches. So maybe he's twice as good as the AFLCA votes would suggest.🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 2

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

I trust Jason Taylor and the team for sure  but I wonder what the young midfielders (potentially) see in this given they have proven themselves already. Dunstan is walking into a superlative team and I can't see how this makes us better.

Depth is everything  and we are down one with Nathan Jones gone so maybe its just that. 

I think our young midfielders should see this for exactly what it is.  The we are the premiers, trying to backup and go again and that just because they may potentially represent part of an ongoing sucessful future for us, it won't just be handed to them on a platter, they have to earn it.

At this point, I think the acquisition of Luke could be such a boon for the club.  Essentially he's replaced Jones and AVB on the list with a younger more reliable body.  With no disrespects, those guys probably wouldn't have competed for spots next season and would have been somewhat of a downgrade as depth.  Plenty of examples of quality players on the outer at their original club who became regular good contributors at another club.  Tom Rockcliff is just one recient one that comes to mind.  Brent Maloney to some extent is another.

Having this depth across all lines is such a valuable asset to our team and if players really value playing in another premiership, then having to compete for spots, spending substantial time in the VFL is something that they will need to accept or else go chase the money and an easy ride somewhere else. 

How good was it being able to replace Tomlinson with a ready made near elite young talent in Petty early in the season.  If we hadn't had Harry toiling away in the VFL learning his trade and ready to step up for action when Tommo went down, that could have put a serious dent in our finals, let alone premiership campaign.  Similarly Bowey who barely got a look-in all year senior selection wise, in for Hunt.  That's how all these up and commers like Jordon, Weid, Laurie, Bedford, Baker, Chandler  etc need to be looking at it.

At the end of the day the compeditive, selfless type of player we want values playing in a premiership team more than getting top dollar or easy game time.  That appears to be the judgement call that Luke has made here, along with the reassurance from Richo, Goody and Co, that they have some belief in what he can bring to the team and a willingness to give him a go if he plays the way the team needs him to.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think our young midfielders should see this for exactly what it is.  The we are the premiers, trying to backup and go again and that just because they may potentially represent part of an ongoing sucessful future for us, it won't just be handed to them on a platter, they have to earn it.

At this point, I think the acquisition of Luke could be such a boon for the club.  Essentially he's replaced Jones and AVB on the list with a younger more reliable body.  With no disrespects, those guys probably wouldn't have competed for spots next season and would have been somewhat of a downgrade as depth.  Plenty of examples of quality players on the outer at their original club who became regular good contributors at another club.  Tom Rockcliff is just one recient one that comes to mind.  Brent Maloney to some extent is another.

Having this depth across all lines is such a valuable asset to our team and if players really value playing in another premiership, then having to compete for spots, spending substantial time in the VFL is something that they will need to accept or else go chase the money and an easy ride somewhere else. 

How good was it being able to replace Tomlinson with a ready made near elite young talent in Petty early in the season.  If we hadn't had Harry toiling away in the VFL learning his trade and ready to step up for action when Tommo went down, that could have put a serious dent in our finals, let alone premiership campaign.  Similarly Bowey who barely got a look-in all year senior selection wise, in for Hunt.  That's how all these up and commers like Jordon, Weid, Laurie, Bedford, Baker, Chandler  etc need to be looking at it.

At the end of the day the compeditive, selfless type of player we want values playing in a premiership team more than getting top dollar or easy game time.  That appears to be the judgement call that Luke has made here, along with the reassurance from Richo, Goody and Co, that they have some belief in what he can bring to the team and a willingness to give him a go if he plays the way the team needs him to.

Thanks. I feel better and your post should be compulsory reading.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

phil lewis

3 HOURS AGO

Fact that Bulldogs did not play 7 straight games on the road, because of the Grand Final bye, round 21 was against Essendon at Marvel and Round 23 was against Port at Marvel.

Melbourne on the other hand Round 21 in Perth, Round 22 at MCG, Round 23 at Geelong, First Final at Adelaide, Preliminary Final in Perth with a Lockdown and Grand Final in Perth.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Great points! 

I take a lot of comfort from Richo being as well informed as anyone in the merits of giving LD a fresh start

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Premiers said:

I wouldn't put to much store on Dunstan's Brownlow and AFLCA votes.  Other than Steel there was no competition.  

At the Demons he may get no votes as they are more likely to our top 6 players but will he be a better and more valuable player than when he plays than at the Saints..

He still had to play well to take votes off opposition players though.

Just on this point, is interesting if you transfer LD's 11 Brownlow points from St Kilda ti Melbourne (I know it doesn't work like that, but anyways).  Team Brownlow votes:

Melbourne

31 – Clayton Oliver
23 – Christian Petracca
16 – Max Gawn
8 – Tom McDonald
5 – Jake Lever

Total votes: 96 (first overall)

Port Adelaide

36 – Ollie Wines
25 – Travis Boak
11 – Karl Amon
7 – Aliir Aliir
5 – Dan Houston

Total votes: 91 (second overall)

The other dimension that adding LD provides is another bonefied star that the opposition have to try to shut down, which should take some of the attention of guys like Trac and Clarry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, durango said:

Fact that Bulldogs did not play 7 straight games on the road, because of the Grand Final bye, round 21 was against Essendon at Marvel and Round 23 was against Port at Marvel.

Melbourne on the other hand Round 21 in Perth, Round 22 at MCG, Round 23 at Geelong, First Final at Adelaide, Preliminary Final in Perth with a Lockdown and Grand Final in Perth.

Don't let silly facts like that get in the way of downplaying and bagging out the MFC though!