Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Shout Out to Saty

Slartibartfast

In total agreement.

In past years when my son and I were able to get down to Melbourne and attend training sessions, I always enjoyed a good chat with Saty… I expect his joy over winning the GF will be somewhat tempered by the retirement of his favourite player, Nev Jetta.

I hope he and his partner, or, as he would say, “lovely lady” (which she is, by the way), are surviving the pandemic/lockdown ok, and are at least, still reading these forums.

• Like 13

Met him a few years ago, he was giving out the scarves to members for the new season. As you say worked for the club behind the scenes. His absence on here is the sites loss whether you enjoyed his posts or not.

• Like 4

I'll be honest. 

I have done my fair share of Saty baiting in the past.

However, when he first registered here, it was the absolute worst time to be an advocate for the direction the club was taking. Things were tense and combustible and fighting and sniping was inevitable. In hindsight, I regret some of the shots I took at him.

However, as time has passed, and we have gotten more successful, I have come to respect his passion. He can be a bit awkward at times, but it does show the impact he has had and the contribution he has made on the board. For that, I give him a lot of respect.

Whenever I went to watch a training session, I'd always be looking around wondering which one of these onlookers is Saty? As Bob said above, he isn't everyone's cup of tea but after winning the flag, it's a great time to share the love around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emerald said:

Whenever I went to watch a training session, I'd always be looking around wondering which one of these onlookers is Saty? As Bob said above, he isn't everyone's cup of tea but after winning the flag, it's a great time to share the love around.

I think Saty might have managed to get himself into this photo between Harmes and Brayshaw.

It's the right height and colour for the top of Saty's head and exactly where Saty would want to be, although I guess it could also be Harmes' tattoo-ed shoulder.

Equalisation leads to abundance of footy romance

• Like 1

You expect him to come back after he was hounded off here by some of you keyboard warriors? He was a different cat, and some of you might have disagreed with him, but you treated him appallingly. Now you want all to be forgiven?  The guy was passionate about the same team we all are.  I hope wherever he is he is living the dream.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

You expect him to come back after he was hounded off here by some of you keyboard warriors? He was a different cat, and some of you might have disagreed with him, but you treated him appallingly. Now you want all to be forgiven?  The guy was passionate about the same team we all are.  I hope wherever he is he is living the dream.

I think there needs to be some sorely needed perspective added here.

I sincerely hope Saty is elated. I've come to respect his passion though it took some time. However, I didn't and still don't respect or approve of the way it was expressed at certain times during 2013. There are examples I could list but won't. I'm sure I've said plenty of silly and objectionable stuff on here over the years.

Let's just let sleeping dogs lie and wish him well.

@Baghdad Bob mostly summed it up well (though let's also not pretend Saty didn't give as good as he got). He isn't everyone's cup of tea and he wasn't mine for a very long time. This flag should be a chance for reconciliation, and it would be great if we could come out of this united rather than fighting. 

That said, if people don't want to forgive me for whatever transgressions they believe I've committed, they can suit themselves. And if Saty chooses not to come back, that's his prerogative as well.

I concur with others here in a number of respects.  While he does have a somewhat abrasive nature, you can see the passion for the Demons bleeding through.

Personally as time has gone on, I've found myself modifying and maturing my own online behavior and trying to be more conscious that, though it is just text on a screen, it was another human that put it there or to which it is directed.  I don't personally see much of a need to win a battle of insults and would rather just let things slide and ignore it most of the time and/or get triggered by it and escalate the situation.  I also find it's easier on my own stress levels this way.  That's not to say I always suceed in this mantra of kindness to others.

Something I think we all perhaps need to be mindful of in this world of social media is the pile on effect of paying out on any on particular individual, no matter how annoying they may be.  I think the mods generally do a pretty good job of setting the boundaries of acceptable behavior without all of us posters needing to publicly shame and ridicule a fellow poster when they might go off on a somewhat ridiculous tangent or highjack threads.

Personally I hope Satty makes a comeback when the time is right and joins us to revel in this premiership goodness - there's pleanty to go around.  Go the MIGHTY DEMONS!!

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Saty isn't everyone's cup of tea but I doubt there are many better supporters.

He attended every training session at Gosch's he could get to, he'd organize his shift work to attend, he'd work the phones ringing past members asking them to re-sign in the dark days and he's worked outside the MCG giving members their scarves well into the start of game to make sure they were looked after.

But more than that.  When things were bad he wasn't.  He was as supporters should be, supportive and helpful to the club doing what he could to improve us.  And to many on Demonland he provided training reports and some information that wasn't available elsewhere on player's situations and injury.

I haven't seen him here this year and that is in large part I imagine to training not being at Gosch's and the small minority on here who belittled his input and made life pretty unpleasant for him.  But he's one of the true believers and I hope wherever you are Saty you are soaking up the thrill of the flag and it's rewarded you in some way for all your past efforts.  Cheers mate, I look forward to catching up.

Good post BB.

Log on Saty and be part of the group love in, you deserve it.

Your unswerving loyalty to the club can’t ever be questioned.

Enjoy our success, with those of us who appreciate your efforts.

• Like 6

I met Saty at training and at a family day many years ago.

In our brief discussions, I was impressed by his deep knowledge and understanding of the game and observed his close, but respectful, relationship with the players that led to many insights that were unfairly derided on this forum.

His return, even in a diminished role, would be appreciated.

• Like 1