Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: GRAND FINAL vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

20 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I might be going out on a limb here, but upon refeltion, (as someone born well post 1964) I think that has to be about the most complete season I've seen the MFC put together.  This team might be going places, maybe even 'The One'!!

Agree 17 wins. 4 losses. 1 draw. Top of the ladder. Minor premiers. 

Three finals. Three big wins. 

Premiers 2021 🏆

THATS AN AMAZING YEAR

• Like 4
  • Love 6

15 minutes ago, P-man said:

Same. I found that odd. It was the equivalent of skipping the father of the bride.

And as much as I love the big fella, I thought a shout out to Neale, Jimmy and/or Jonesy in Max’s speech would’ve been fitting.

But when your biggest complaint about a grand final is the speeches or lack thereof, you’re going pretty good.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but one of my favourite post game pieces was Goody and Tracc doing the presser.

Really honest and from the heart. Amazing how he shared that he shed a few tears on Friday night before the game. How proud he was of the group.

Really worth a watch.

"Goodwin: 'Unbelievable emotion that's attached to 57 years'" https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/1021682/goodwin-unbelievable-emotion-that-s-attached-to-57-years?videoId=1021682&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1632592576001

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

The other great thing about watching Melbourne win that long long awaited premiership is all the scars it heals. 

186 can't hurt us now. Those decades of failure are stepping stones to this day. It's all a balm now.

Also, I can go back and watch all those classic grand finals without any sense of poison that I've felt when Sydney, West Coast, Geelong, Hawthorn, and even the Doggies got up and won the flag.

We've done it!

• Like 8
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Morgs_10 said:

Didn't want to take away from the result at the time, but personally need to give a huge thank you to @Dante. The extra priority tickets allowed me to take my parents with me to the game. And I'm so glad my mum was there for when I started crying. Thank you so much, mate.

1_20210925_204106.jpg

Glad to help and it seems as if it was worth it, hope you all enjoyed it and especially your folks, they are the long suffering.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ding said:

So not only did i order a $2074 signed and framed gurnesy, i also hit up the club website to add a few more things.

I LOVE THIS CLUB !!!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!

Capture.JPG

Pray tell, where do you get the signed jumpers?

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but one of my favourite post game pieces was Goody and Tracc doing the presser.

Really honest and from the heart. Amazing how he shared that he shed a few tears on Friday night before the game. How proud he was of the group.

Really worth a watch.

"Goodwin: 'Unbelievable emotion that's attached to 57 years'" https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/1021682/goodwin-unbelievable-emotion-that-s-attached-to-57-years?videoId=1021682&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1632592576001

Hahaha was just going to post this one, what a brilliant insight. Simon Goodwin is a really interesting human being (aren’t we all?). He was in tears before the game, laying on the bed crying because of how far “we’ve come”.

Tracc saying we’re the fittest team in the comp (don’t leave Burgo).

Goody in saying how he did struggle last year and needed new guidance/mentors.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Really worth a watch.

Agree. Have watched a lot of the post game interviews, round-ups etc., and by that I mean a whole Sunday’s worth, and this is the one. Emotional, honest, humble. Just brilliant. 

Nice gesture by Harmes trying to get JJ on the field for the last 5 minutes.

harmes-sacrifice

"Harmsey was trying to have a little cramp there just so I could get on at the end," Jordon said.

Edited by Premiers
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree 17 wins. 4 losses. 1 draw. Top of the ladder. Minor premiers. 

Three finals. Three big wins. 

Premiers 2021 🏆

THATS AN AMAZING YEAR

A fairytale year.
One that will go down though the ages in folklore.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My last reflection for the day and on this thread.

There are two things that this premiership will bring our club moving forward that are worth their weight in gold.

The first is that success breeds success. Reading through threads from 2011-13 and what was being pumped out in club PR, we thought we knew what it took to be successful. In reality, we had no idea. I remember reading a post from a 2013 thread when I was bored at work stating that Neeldy would one day raise a premiership cup. As history shows (and I don’t want to make this into a hating on past figures from the club), the approach employed at the time was so far removed from what was needed to get us even close to finals, let alone a premiership, that it wasn’t even funny. 

We now have our own formula for success. The players know what level of commitment, teamwork and resilience they need to possess to win the big one. That can be lost over generations (we lost it post 1964 and Carlton have now lost it entirely), but when it’s fresh in a team’s and club’s psyche, it burns strong and bright. It’s no guarantee we will win another flag  or make another GF with this group, but they now know what they need to bring to give themselves the chance.

The second thing is how this will make the club reassess how it views itself. Roosy hammered how we accepted our culture of losing and the veil of negativity when he was with us (and was right to do so), but part of how we viewed ourselves was based on what had come about and it wasn’t entirely unreasonable to think that way.

Let’s be honest. In ‘88 and ‘00, if we had pulled off a miracle and knocked off the Hawks or Dons, we would have pinched those flags. We would have deserved them in the sense that it’s not always the best team of the year that wins the Grand Final, but the better team on the day. But in no way, shape or form were we the best team in the AFL/VFL in either of those years. 

This year, if we lost the GF, we would have been the best team of the year, but not the best team on GF day. This win has certified that we ARE the best on any day. PERIOD. There’s no glitch of history, no wrinkle in the draw or injury that can convince us otherwise that we weren’t the best team from go to whoa. 

I’ve mentioned that I have struggled with impostor syndrome albeit as a supporter. As though winning a flag was supposed to happen to supporters of other clubs, but never to us. I could imagine how the players felt at times. With this win, the bastards can never take away from us that we are indeed the indisputably best football team in Australia for this year. Next year will bring what it will, but for now we are the undisputed benchmark. The amount of boosted confidence and self esteem moving forward from that realization is worth it’s weight in gold.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

50 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Really worth a watch.

Thanks Brownie

really enjoyed listening to Goody and Trac. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
H

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

How about five in a row? It's just as impossible, and now we know the impossible can come true.

Mazer, with all due respect to the Birthday Cake Angels, it took them 57 bloody years to deliver on my birthday wish in the first place. How long would it take them to delivery on 5 in a row?

7 hours ago, faultydet said:

The one I have noticed more and more each time is Sparrow.

His inside 50 work was incredible.

The kid is a beast and his foot skills have surprised the siht out of me.

That goal he kicked off one step from 50 with 4 dogs players running at him from every corner of the compass 👏

• Like 11

24 hours later and after multiple viewings of the game and Kayo mini, I am in a contemplative mood. Melbourne took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott in the 2009 draft with much fanfare and some subsequent penalties from the tanking saga. Hidden at pick 34 was one Max Gawn. One pick above a triple premiership player in David Astbury. In 2009, which of the 5 Melbourne picks was viewed to be the next Melbourne premiership captain? Especially after a certain China trip. So many lessons and paradoxes from this 2009 draft: the importance of expert recruiting; the maturation of players and young men; and the cruel reality of Trengove's injury riddled career. He was my pick for our next premiership captain especially based on his first 1-2 years. It was so heartening to see him in the rooms after the game. But fate fortunately still brought us a premiership captain from that draft. The least likely in 2009 but, as it turned out, the most likely 12 years later. Thank you Max for developing into a fitting successor to Ronald Dale Barassi

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

I will watch this until the day I die. 

25 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Genuine questions, does anyone know why Embley didn’t announce the North Smith medal winner and why Goodwin didn’t give a speech (he allegedly had one ready to go). Was it Basil not wanting anyone else to have the limelight? 

Basil can’t remember anything beyond the end of his nose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Genuine questions, does anyone know why Embley didn’t announce the North Smith medal winner and why Goodwin didn’t give a speech (he allegedly had one ready to go). Was it Basil not wanting anyone else to have the limelight? 

I did read somewhere (may have been on here? Not sure) that Goody was too emotional to speak on camera.

From the scenes when the hugathon started it wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

As for Embley, I think that was just Zempilas being a [censored] and hogging the limelight.

Edited by faultydet
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Well, after 24 hours and lots of alcohol my thoughts; my best mate and i have watched footy here and in Adelaide for 50 years at least. We both thought we would be blubbering messes if we even witnessed a Dees premiership but at the end of the game last night we sat there stunned. We had witnessed, with out a doubt, the most insane 45 minutes of football either of us had ever seen. I still have to watch the replay a few more times for it to sink in. 

Same here HJ, I was jumping around celebrating each goal and high fiving, hugging etc but at the end it was more a sense of relief and shock, no tears or anything.

The tears started to well today watching the footy show and the replay as it started to sink in that we finally did it! Seeing "2021" added to our list of premierships which has been eternally set my entire life as "1900, 1926.......1964" is surreal but I'm starting to get used to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wow i must find that quote, thanks

These guys can coach themselves 

Another thing to come out of the footy show is that Goodwin definitely had a speech prepared which he didn't get the opportunity to present because that absolutely moron Basil Zempilas stuffed his cue and didn't allow him to get in front of the mic! He also didn't allow Embley to name the Norm Smith medallist. What a tool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CityDee said:

I think the biggest mistake was the doggies tactic in the 3rd quarter to control the tempo at slow play .

It kinda worked but was always going to be met with a big swing - they should have gone kamikaze and really put as away .

they went slow and steady then we went nuclear .

disclaimer will need to watch sober to confirm . 

They also refused to set up with a defensive sweeper in the middle when they were getting obliterated out of the centre.

Fool me once...

• Like 2