Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Big Ben Brown’s Wild Ride

Demonland

1 hour ago, Wrecker46 said:

I've said it in another post and I will repeat it. Ben Brown didn't get removed from North Melbourne his partner did.

She was a culture killer. Loved by some, hated by many.

I have this very reliably from a board member at North, not a list manager.

This post is out of bounds and should be deleted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dees supporting nephew went to a wedding recently where BBB’s partner was the celebrant. Said she was fantastic. 

• Like 1

Been waiting for Bbb to kick five or six.

But his gf effort was great nonetheless.

Has been a great addition to our forward line since coming in. Got better each passing game.

While Fritta has been the prolific scorer, Bbb has been a great target. He has been instrumental also in stopping intercept marking.

Has also surpassed Tmac in coming down the ground and presenting. Solid hands and and an accurate shot at goal.

Continues to improve and we will see his champion form of 19, 18 and 17.

Possibly better as Norfs midfield doesnt compare.

Well done Bbb and Mfc for the selection.

Still a few good years in him too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Demon17 said:

4 frees for.  3 of those were for chopping the arms.

Keath was out of his depth.

He hadn't been getting his free kicks this year either. A sign that he wasn't getting first to the drop of the ball or in synch with team mates. I thought he'd left his umpires with him at North.

I don't want him to go back to a player who chases free kicks, that's not sustainable, but if he gets first hands to the ball he will get chopped a lot and deserve them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He hadn't been getting his free kicks this year either. A sign that he wasn't getting first to the drop of the ball or in synch with team mates. I thought he'd left his umpires with him at North.

I don't want him to go back to a player who chases free kicks, that's not sustainable, but if he gets first hands to the ball he will get chopped a lot and deserve them.

He wasn't chasing free kicks at all in the GF though.

At least one of the chopping free kicks was soft, but the only time Brown appeared to look for a free was when he was slung by Williams having dispossessed the ball, which every player does.

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

He wasn't chasing free kicks at all in the GF though.

At least one of the chopping free kicks was soft, but the only time Brown appeared to look for a free was when he was slung by Williams having dispossessed the ball, which every player does.

Yes I should be clear I agree entirely with that. I meant at his time at North I reckon there were plenty of occurrences where he'd go up in a pack and flop around. That might be wrong and seeing him through opposition glasses. I thought he competed very fairly throughout his time with us and the arm chops on grand final day were all there.

• Like 3

It’s still a bit puzzling to me as to how we got him so cheap and with minimal interest from other clubs. Was a goal kicking machine before the knee injury. No surprises that he eventually  returned to be a goal kicking machine after the injury. Can extrapolate that he would have kicked 48 goals in a full season and that’s just as a role player and a slow start. 

Maybe the knee injury was more serious than what I remember it to be. That’s literally the only thing I can think of. 

Fritsch and Benny will combine for 100 goals next year. And the year after. And maybe the one after that. 

Edited by Bang Bang Bang
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

It’s still a bit puzzling to me as to how we got him so cheap and with minimal interest from other clubs. Was a goal kicking machine before the knee injury. No surprises that he eventually  returned to be a goal kicking machine after the injury. Can extrapolate that he would have kicked 48 goals in a full season and that’s just as a role player and a slow start. 

Maybe the knee injury was more serious than what I remember it to be. That’s literally the only thing I can think of. 

Fritsch and Benny will combine for 100 goals next year. And the year after. And maybe the one after that. 

He needed knee surgery in February then had to do a mini preseason mid year to really find his fitness, form and confidence again.

There's every change he doesn't get through a full season again. In fact we should manage him to make sure he's right at the most important moments. I think that's a big reason we've kept Weideman.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Norf simply dropped the ball on this.

As for next year.......

Kozzie not far behind.

Jackson keeps improving.

Gawn more time fwd.

Tmac or someone else to fire up. Maybe Petty.

Exciting times.

Ps Great username bang bang bang.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

I loved the comparison between BBB last year with Jeremy Cameron where they showed Brown had kicked more goals 2017-2019 (I know its not the only measurement) and the fraction of the price we paid compared to the cats.

Well now we can add another point of difference in the comparison between these two - BBB (premiership player).  Cameron (no premiership and at a club that is about to fall off a cliff)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I've said it in another post and I will repeat it. Ben Brown didn't get removed from North Melbourne his partner did.

Clearly killed the culture at the Dees pppfffttr.

You’ve posted it a few times, no one has picked it up, move on. North has, the Brown’s have and so have we… with a flag. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Because his missus was a “culture killer”, she didn’t like hanging around losers…

• Like 1

Just watched the GF replay…again! 😍❤️💙

His work rate was impressive, I missed observing it in the first three replays I watched but wow he worked his bum off in the GF!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Just watched the GF replay…again! 😍❤️💙

His work rate was impressive, I missed observing it in the first three replays I watched but wow he worked his bum off in the GF!

The way he was working full back trying to spoil JJ's mark in Q3 was a genuine 'WTF?' moment in the granny. Really impressive!

Edited by Range Rover to the snow
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Covers a fair bit of the ground too.

He was sniffing around in the Bulldogs goalsquare when Johanisen took his mark. I thought " what the hell is he doing down there " ???

• Like 2

Was a key "missing link".  I always felt we weren't far off a GF, just needed to fill a few gaps including a KTF like a Cameron.  Benny proved to be as handy and did the job required to aplomb.  Mind you the extra mid-season pre-seaaon seemed to help!

Looking forward to seeing how he goes next year with no pre-seaaon interruptions.

He makes for a very difficult match up for opponents.  Conversion % is super good also making the most of opportunities.

Another example of the good work implemented by Darren Burgess and medicos. 

Was keen on Ben Brown as far back as when he was at Werribee early days, before being picked up by North. 
Kudos to Brown for turning around his form, having strengthened his knee. 

Was so close to a Coleman Medal at North - “snatched” by Jeremy Cameron in a day out in the last round a few years ago. 

A premiership player, and now a big part of history at the Melbourne Football Club.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

so what of TMAc next year?

Was superfluous on GF day

Will be interesting to see if they try Weideman playing alongside Brown next year. Would be good to start building him up...

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

so what of TMAc next year?

Was superfluous on GF day

He'll be 29 next year.

Not sure whether it was his back that resulted in this but his form in the back end of the year dropped significantly. We were just lucky the like of Brown, Fritsch, Pickett were able to stand up and kick goals.

I honestly think that IF Weideman is able to have an injury free pre season and get through the pre season games without any hiccups then he may potentially take McDonald's spot.

But right now it's McDonald's spot to lose.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

That says a lot more about the poor culture of Norf than about her. 
She is not your typical WAG, and having met her a couple of times thru mutual friends, I can tell you categorically that she is lovely, generous and kind. She just doesn’t think that football is the be all and end all, and wanted better for Ben and her when they were going thru a very hard time personally. 
Norf were not interested in supporting one of their better players. Too hard basket for a basket case of a club. 

Did not seem too hard for us to accept them in.  We are a family club. A lot of our players have kids and have made Ben feel welcomed and at ease with wanting a work life balance and accepted his family first attitude. That is why we are successful and Norf are wooden spooners. You cannot except players and their partners to be robots that fit into your box neatly. We embrace different personalities and our group is as close as any club out there. 
I am so happy for Ben and his family. He’s an excellent football and a lovely guy who just needed a better environment to rediscover his spark. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 7