Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Thanks Jonesy - Retirement

Lord Nev

Great club man especially through the tough times. Star of the club and will always be my hero. Thanks for the 302 games of blood, sweat and tears. Love you Chunk.

• Like 5

A sad day for the footy club and also a day of celebration of a fine career.

Thank you so much for all you have done Jonesy during some of the darkest times in this footy club. 

There are no fairytales in footy but I hope you're able to reflect on the contribution you've made in getting us there.

From a different person I think now the club can now move on from all the Nathan Jones noise. Was starting to get a tad worried it was going to be a bit of a distraction, but once he made the decision to leave WA her made the right call for his family.

The number 2 is a very sacred number at this footy club.

• Like 8

Well played Jonesy kept making the right decisions all the way up to the end - is there anything more special than seeing the arrival of your twins - I doubt it

From a footballing perspective you had, and will always have enormous respect from the demon faithful - thank you for all your efforts over your career and staying loyal to the greatest football club in the world

Just like many other of the demon faithful I know you will be watching and cheering with us when the team takes the field on GF day to make their (and your) piece of history

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If we do win the flag I fear that he will resent it.

His friends winning a flag will fix that. 

It will be bittersweet - as it will be for Jayden and for Jake and a few others.

That's ok. That is footy.

And life.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Should we win next Saturday, Nathan should get to raise the flag at our first home game (with a crowd) in 2022.

That, or  -  prior to the team running out - Jones & Jetta coming out of the race holding up the cup.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hope Max's comments from his press conference on 11/9 ring true when Jones & his legacy are remembered

"This guy's a warrior and has set this club up to be in this position. He won't be remembered for the Melbourne of old, he'll be remembered for changing Melbourne"

Thanks Chunk

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Happy retirement Chunk. Don;t think you'll have too much time to dwell on it for now. You'll have your hands full on the home front.

Has he signed on in an assistant coaching capacity going forward? I thought he had. Our treatment of past players hasn't been good so if the club has really turned over a new leaf (i think it has) then he should be kept around the place. Ditto Nev Jetta. They are the embodiment our our culture and values. Can't think of better role models to have around and inspire the younger guys.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Nathan Jones will retire as one of the most loved players to ever represent the Melbourne Football Club.

He was totally inspirational and I am so proud that he was able to play over 300 games for the Demons. Nathan Jones was incredibly loyal and you need to honour and respect that he never turned his back on the Melbourne Football Club. He stuck with us and endured all the pain, heartache and humiliation that we as Melbourne members and supporters have been suffering for many years.

I will genuinely miss watching Nathan Jones play. But I am glad that he as a former Captain and leader of the Melbourne Football Club is leaving the Club in a better place than when he started.

We must never forget that Nathan Jones personifies the struggles we have faced for many years in the wilderness with the Demons. Nathan Jones was one of the reasons I would turn up to watch the Demons play because I knew that he would always give 100% effort on the field. When we as a Club were an absolute basket case and a joke to the rest of the AFL it was Nathan Jones flying the flag and doing his utmost to help the Demons win against the odds.

Seeing Nathan Jones kicking that goal against Geelong in the 2018 finals series was sheer exhilaration. I remember the entire MCG erupting in celebration!

To me the colours of red and blue aptly suited Nathan Jones as he gave his blood (red), sweat and tears (blue) to help the Demons. I hope that the Demons players find inspiration from what Nathan Jones has done for the Melbourne Football Club and they realise that you MUST take your opportunities when they are presented to you! The game of AFL can be ruthless and you can go your entire career playing in a crap side and not making the finals. But if you are determined enough and you have a good team around you that plays for each other and you are willing to win no matter what then you may be lucky enough to achieve success.

There are quite a lot of similarities between Nathan Jones and Robbie Flower in missing out in the ultimate success. Nathan Jones got to play finals in 2006 (at the start of his career) and then again in 2018. I won't say that he played in finals in 2021 but he was definitely part of the support team.

Robbie Flower on the other hand only got the chance to play finals only once in 1987 and as we all know that ended in immense disappointment with Hawthorn kicking that goal after the siren. It was a tragic ending for a club champion who deserved so much better.

It is definitely a shame that Nathan Jones never got the opportunities to play in the current finals campaign in 2021. But I hope that his teammates realise that your career in football is all about chances and opportunities. I wanted more than anything to see Nathan Jones win a Premiership and hold up the Cup on Grand Final day! Nobody deserved a Premiership as much as Nathan Jones (and Robbie Flower) for the Demons.

Thank you Nathan Jones. You were a magnificent servant of the Melbourne Football Club and I hope that your teammates can do you proud and win a Premiership in a few days time.

We love you Nathan Jones and you will always be in the hearts of all Demons members and supporters.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, BDA said:

Happy retirement Chunk. Don;t think you'll have too much time to dwell on it for now. You'll have your hands full on the home front.

Has he signed on in an assistant coaching capacity going forward? I thought he had. Our treatment of past players hasn't been good so if the club has really turned over a new leaf (i think it has) then he should be kept around the place. Ditto Nev Jetta. They are the embodiment our our culture and values. Can't think of better role models to have around and inspire the younger guys.

Strange post.

This isn't how footy clubs work. And to say that if We've really turned a new leaf we must keep him at the club at some capacity? Why do they need to be kept on to inspire younger players? Aren't Max Gawn, Petracca and Oliver not already doing that?

We've treated Nathan with the absolute utmost respect better then any other club legend. We gifted him to 300 games even though there was a raging debate whether he should have even played this year or not

The club has done the best it has for Nathan Jones. 

The best thing Nathan Jones can do right now for his family sake is maybe take 12 months off and just focus on his family. But that's my opinion. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4

A loyal servant, a very good footballer, a champion club man and rightly recognized as one of the pillars of the cultural change along with Roos, Jackson and Bartlett.  I admired his commitment to the club when he always had other options.  He leaves a significant legacy and was a worthy successor to another great number 2!

• Like 1

There is always a hard luck story before the grand final I think he would have given his right arm to play but he also recognised his time was up similar to Robbie Flower who retired after the 1987 preliminary final without a premiership to his name but at least he played in a final series.

Some players play 150-300 games without tasting premiership or finals glory but contribute to the fabric of the club, so for every Shane Crawford there are at least 50 Bob Murphy's or Nathan Jones' or Robbie Flowers.

Lynden Dunn who played 198 games and managed 0 finals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Critically underrated legend of our club.

For me, part of the gloss of making the Grand Final has been taken off from him not being there as I firmly believe he offers just as much as Jordon as the sub.

Having said that, he made the right decision to be home for the birth of his twins regardless.

Thank you, Nathan. You are a bloody star.

I think the Max Gawn interview after the game said it all. Jones is the backbone of the club and the person who has inspired him to achieve. I believe Nathan gave the timing great thought and to ensure our playing group understand this is just a small part of the big picture; make the most of it and give all you can as one day it will be over. Now is time to rewrite history! Saturday week let's honour a true legend of the Dee's and bring the cup back to the where it belongs!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Strange post.

This isn't how footy clubs work. And to say that if We've really turned a new leaf we must keep him at the club at some capacity? Why do they need to be kept on to inspire younger players? Aren't Max Gawn, Petracca and Oliver not already doing that?

We've treated Nathan with the absolute utmost respect better then any other club legend. We gifted him to 300 games even though there was a raging debate whether he should have even played this year or not

The club has done the best it has for Nathan Jones. 

The best thing Nathan Jones can do right now for his family sake is maybe take 12 months off and just focus on his family. But that's my opinion. 

Fair point re family commitments

From some reason I thought it was agreed he would transition into a coaching role next year. I’ve done a quick google search and can find no reference so I must be wrong on that

The club have done the right thing, and no doubt Maxy and Co will be brilliant standard bearers going forward but I reckon there’s a spot for him. It’s obvious the regard he is held in by everyone around the club so would be popular. Nothing wrong with developing our own coaching talent just like we do with the players  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BDA said:

Fair point re family commitments

From some reason I thought it was agreed he would transition into a coaching role next year. I’ve done a quick google search and can find no reference so I must be wrong on that

The club have done the right thing, and no doubt Maxy and Co will be brilliant standard bearers going forward but I reckon there’s a spot for him. It’s obvious the regard he is held in by everyone around the club so would be popular. Nothing wrong with developing our own coaching talent just like we do with the players  

I honestly think the best thing for Jonesy if he were to get into coaching is to actually go to another club and start his apprenticeship there.

Learn a whole new system and culture. He's been at this club for over 15 years and I think sometimes you can get a bit stale.

I think going to a club lehere he can develop new skill set would be great for his development. 

Think of Adam Yze.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One day I'll be old, and little ones will gather around me by the fire, asking for the story of the Rise of Melbourne. And I'll think back, and say:

"This is the story of a time long ago.

A time of myth and legend, when the Footy Gods were petty and cruel and they plagued old Melbourne with suffering. Only one man dared to challenge their power…Nathan Jones. Jones possessed a strength the world had never seen. A strength surpassed only by the power of his heart. He journeyed Australia battling the minions of Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn. But wherever there was evil, wherever an hardball needed getting, there would be…Nathan Jones."

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

Norm Smith said in his famous tv interview "I'm Melbourne, through and through". 

Jonesy - you represented all of us who are Melbourne through and through, by being Melbourne through and through.

I thank you for maintaining pride in our jumper when so much else was bringing it shame.

• Like 4
  • Love 1