Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Weideman re-signs until 2023

Demonland

9 hours ago, olisik said:

Least I’m not the only one concerned by Laurie and what has (or hasn’t) been shown to date. First year I get it but usually you see something worth working on. By all accounts Laurie hasn’t set the world on fire in any matches played so far. Hope I am wrong.

We traded our first rounder this year for him.

Good to see that you haven't lost your ability to post absolute rubbish despite the side sitting top of the ladder.

Remember how you spent large portions of 2020 complaining about our trade for Pickett?

• Like 10
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Good to see that you haven't lost your ability to post absolute rubbish despite the side sitting top of the ladder.

Remember how you spent large portions of 2020 complaining about our trade for Pickett?

I do.

Olisik is a self proclaimed troll. Noticed we haven't heard from him much because we're actually winning games? If the mods were good enough to chuck @Dr.D and @Elegt in the bin for good then they can afford to get rid of this muppet as well.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

North Melbourne are showing interest in Sam Weideman and I would suggest that a trade would be worthwhile around North’s second pick, currently 20. With matching father/sons and possible free agency compensation picks, that could possibly end up around 24.

Pick 20 for SW would be pretty great.  I'd have thought Hawthorn might go after him as he seems to play his best against them...?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I do.

Olisik is a self proclaimed troll. Noticed we haven't heard from him much because we're actually winning games? If the mods were good enough to chuck @Dr.D and @Elegt in the bin for good then they can afford to get rid of this muppet as well.

Kind of a shame that Dr D was banned. I was hoping we could all discuss his post-bye W-L predictions.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

Lol, no we won’t.

@faultydetis spot on - imagine that Sam is at another club and we are targeting him? You’d think the FD was on the turps. Especially if we are giving a 2nd rounder.

Didn't Gold Coast give pick 2 for Lachie Weller? Some footy dept's are on turps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Let me clarify my position/suggestion on this one.

I'm not saying that I don't rate Laurie or that he's a spud that we should get rid of. I'm simply making the point that if we want Mac Andrew, we'll need to trade into the top 10, probably top 8. Gold Coast currently have Pick 5 which will turn into Pick 7 and we have a good trading history with them, so they're an obvious potential partner.

Now would Weideman and our future 1st Round Pick be enough to get the trade done? Given we're currently top of the ladder, it's fair for Gold Coast to assume our Future 1st Round Pick will be in the 15-20 range. So point is we'll likely need more.

Laurie will still have some value from being a late 1st Round Pick from last year, who doesn't hurt us leaving as he's yet to get on the park for us. I did also suggest our Pick 34 could a also be used instead. Laurie was merely one suggestion.

It's also of note that we got Laurie by trading away our 1st Round Pick from this year, before the rules changed re the Academy nominations and our ability to get Mac Andrew. Would we have made that trade last year if we knew the rule change was coming? Who knows? All I can tell is that Taylor seems pretty keen on Mac Andrew and I wouldn't be shocked to see the Dees try and manufacture a way to get him.

Edit: And yes, players can be traded after only one season. Just rarely happens is all.

Not that I;d know but I looked the Mac Andrew highlights and there was nothing that excited me at all. He would be a speculative pick at best whereas Laurie is someone they gave up a first rounder to get. And if you listen to Jason Tayor, he and Bowie were the two best kicks in the draft from last year

So there is zero chance they would give up Laurie for Andrew IMO.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

I'll keep saying it till I'm Blue in the face

JOEL SMITH is a Forward🥶

Based on what evidence?  All I can recall is one part of one practice match before another near season ending injury.  

For my education please elaborate.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

I'll keep saying it till I'm Blue in the face

JOEL SMITH is a Forward🥶

I see Joel Smith as a forward in the same way Jeremy Howe is a forward...

i.e. he's not.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

North Melbourne are showing interest in Sam Weideman and I would suggest that a trade would be worthwhile around North’s second pick, currently 20. With matching father/sons and possible free agency compensation picks, that could possibly end up around 24.

Unless SW wants out, I wouldn't look to trade him.  He's not a world beater but certainly fills a hole - and may yet find things click for him.

With BBB and TMac around 30, surely its good both for MFC and SW to stay on the list.

Otherwise we use pick 24 to draft another prospective key forward who takes years to develop.  Who plays the role if TMac / BBB go down?

Potentially Petty when Tomlinson come back - but that's a bit of an unknown at this stage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

All I can tell is that Taylor seems pretty keen on Mac Andrew and I wouldn't be shocked to see the Dees try and manufacture a way to get him.

Jason Taylor has criticised the rule change that prevents clubs (other than from the northern states) from matching NGA bids in the first 20 of the draft but he’s shrewdly avoided making a judgment call on Andrew in terms of where or whether he would pick him. All he’s done is commented on the fact that Andrews’s game has made “significant growth” in the past few years since he came into the club’s NGA system.

It’s also unlikely that the club could “manufacture” a way to get him unless he doesn’t get picked up in the first 20. To that end, the best the club could do to partially block that from happening would be coincidental in the event that we traded for a pick or two that would be situated in the high teens which in my view, on current form is the optimum scenario for Andrews’s selection. Some might believe otherwise but I think he still needs to prove himself worthy of top 20 selection and with the NAB Boys League competition all but over and the postponed national championship games still under a cloud, that’s not going to happen.

If we end up with North’s pick #20 as part of a deal for Sam and trade that up a few places it  would be great. If we could somehow do another trade to give us two late first rounders it would be ideal but probably wishful thinking.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Based on what evidence?  All I can recall is one part of one practice match before another near season ending injury.  

For my education please elaborate.

Smith played 3 practice matches in 2019 as a forward and kicked 4 goals in one of them from memory. But he didn’t seem to have a clue what to do when we didn’t have the ball and the Brisbane and Richmond defenders got leather poisoning from all the space they had. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stood in Weids corner from day one. A change of environment would do him good and if he does come good at another club would be quick to scream, "We should never have traded him" but it's amazing what a different club can do mentally. A new club can also have the reverse outcome and no one will bat an eyelid. 

My personal opinion, Sam needs to move on to another club and I don't think he can handle a club putting pressure of, "if you don't perform the club will fail". MFC has a history of putting that pressure on young players, it's not intentional but some kids just don't thrive on the "look at me" culture.

Takes awhile for the penny to drop for the big blokes,think you see that in couple years for sam.We all can see he has abilty so must be kept for when tmac goes out.I remember well how geelong supporters bag the hell out of hawkins in his early years ,it just takes time with the big boys

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rpfc said:

Lol, no we won’t.

@faultydetis spot on - imagine that Sam is at another club and we are targeting him? You’d think the FD was on the turps. Especially if we are giving a 2nd rounder.

[censored] he's not at delist category at all. He's still making his way and has been injured. Just can't get a game ahead of Ben Brown. He's worth a second rounder.

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Kind of a shame that Dr D was banned. I was hoping we could all discuss his post-bye W-L predictions.

Even recently he was adamant we'd blown it and were going to finish 5th.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

Probably because his best game in the VFL this year was against North. I think he kicked 7.2

I don't think he's going anywhere anyway

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Off topic Mr T Uranus..

But it was interesting to look at a few of some pundits pre 2021 proclamations about the make up of the final eight.

We were mostly forgotten with the odd inclusion as eighth now and then.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/560486/crystal-ball-our-predictions-for-the-2021-afl-season-are-in

Edited by leave it to deever

I see the prediction have been made pre-season by so called experts who never played football at the highest level and some I doubt played football at school.

There crystal ball is made of glass and has one major factor which they never take into account.

Players drive the clubs and have to buy into a game style, as well as injuries where the clubs depth is questioned, pre-season I said that a good team has to have most of its best 22 available and the bottom 5 or 6 players decide how weill the club is going to go in the season.

Richmond was all the rage but injuries and players getting older have contributed to their onfield lack of success in 2021 who knows how the players who missed games due to injury will get over the disappointment of the year.

4 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

I think Weideman has all the talent required to become a great. However, his mental game prevents this from occurring. It will always be the case. He just isn’t cut out to dominate. Yet he has all the physical attributes and talent to do so. I’d offload him.

Don’t see him as a “great” but certainly as an “ok”. I would keep him.

• Like 2

Goodwin is so consistent with his messaging, Weid is not going anywhere. People aren't very good at listening to the coach because he is so dry in his pressers', but he is one of the most honest (if very subtle) coaches going around.