Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Weideman re-signs until 2023

Demonland

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

I see a boy that has lost all confidence in his marking.

As a result he is not leading.

I also see a boy who is 196 cms and was BOG in our first final in years, against the Cats, a couple of years ago.

I don’t believe you lose your talent that easily and that confidence is a big thing in footy.

Time for Choco to get the best out of this kid. It is easy to write off a kid, but I just feel that all is not lost with him.

I recall the comments last year about Tom Mac and all those who wanted him gone, Hunt and Spargo too and plenty wanted Fritta out as well. I wanted ANB gone.  Hello, we are on top of the ladder and those 5 have played nearly every game with only  Fritta missing one due to injury.

Weid may fail, but I am not writing him off.

I agree Mr Leg, it is far from time to write him off. But I think he will benefit from a stint in the backline where I think he could excel. Start with spoiling and then evolve into intercept marking. Could be great development for him. We have invested a lot in him, no need to throw it out now when there is still more things to try. He is far from the finished product.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

I see a boy that has lost all confidence in his marking.

As a result he is not leading.

I also see a boy who is 196 cms and was BOG in our first final in years, against the Cats, a couple of years ago.

I don’t believe you lose your talent that easily and that confidence is a big thing in footy.

Time for Choco to get the best out of this kid. It is easy to write off a kid, but I just feel that all is not lost with him.

I recall the comments last year about Tom Mac and all those who wanted him gone, Hunt and Spargo too and plenty wanted Fritta out as well. I wanted ANB gone.  Hello, we are on top of the ladder and those 5 have played nearly every game with only  Fritta missing one due to injury.

Weid may fail, but I am not writing him off.

Mr Leg...

at the age of 23, 196cm, into his 6th season and weighing 95Kg i really think he is well past the boyhood phase.

He should be coming in to the prime of his career about now or be well under way already.

Just saying!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

So what is it about Steak ? that helps you catch a ball... ??

It's not fitness or effort limiting Weid, it's skill... The bloke can't hold onto the pill.

I think we need to stick fat with Weed but in saying that he has lost the right for the contract to be on his terms.

I just think its worth hanging on to him as we are entering our prime now and him aswell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

I think we need to stick fat with Weed but in saying that he has lost the right for the contract to be on his terms.

I just think its worth hanging on to him as we are entering our prime now and him aswell.

God helps us if this is his prime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Mr Leg...

at the age of 23, 196cm, into his 6th season and weighing 95Kg i really think he is well past the boyhood phase.

He should be coming in to the prime of his career about now or be well under way already.

Just saying!

He'll be 24 next Sat.  Hope they give him the day off.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The main problem I see with Weid is our delivery to him, it is absolute poo most of the time. I’ve seen him leading up and the ball going over his head or falling short. I’ve seen him get out the back and pushing hard for the kick over the top, only for the player to kick it short. Not to mention our crumbers deciding to get in the way of the key forward and jump for the ball etc.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the stats on who we target in our forward line, I’ve seen Weid make quite a few decoy leads away from TMac and Fritsch who seem to be targeted more. ??‍♂️ 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, demonstone said:

You can lead to the flank, use your rump to hold out your defender, t-bone anyone trying to block you, meat the footy with both hands and steak your claim as a forward who can last the forequarters.

all he has to do id take a HANGER STEAK  his claim in the B&F and if not he wont be much CHOP

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Mel Bourne said:

You can’t expect the discussion to be “reasonable” when we are effectively down a player every week. That is an honest evaluation of SW’s input to the club’s performances so far. Just a blurry void where a player ought to be standing, and right in front of the goals no less. 

Effectively one player down - makes no consistent impression on the game - cannot lead to the incoming ball and thus, cannot interest midfielding disposals to be directed to him, in space - drops marks or bustled out of the contest - ideal candidate for the Filth. Critical position occupied on the field, a nice place to work on your suntan, apparently.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:30 PM, Earl Hood said:

That is an interesting observation, not presenting ahead of the ball carrier. I witnessed it , at MCG, in our bad years when we would be in contention in the very odd game and see players forward of our ball carrier run to pick up an opposition player rather than run into space for the pass. Players unwilling to take a risk for whatever reason, it happens but as a team you can’t function successfully with that mindset. Time to move on with our forward line set up. As for Weid as I have said elsewhere, he has all the attributes to be a good intercept marking backman but we never tried him there. Darcy Moore was going to be a key forward but where is he now? 

I couldn't agree more. First we never play well in Sydney and even Sydney this year struggle at the smaller ground. We missed target, kick out of bounds on the full and bombed to the goal square and didn't;'t lower our eyes. Second  Sam's best moments this year have been when he has been down back or up around the centre. Athletically he has the tank to run up and down but for some unexplained reason cannot take a mark up forward but clunks them down back. I really would like the coach to swap Sam and Petty in the roles in a match. Last week petty struggled with Mihocheck and Weid was well held by Roughead, who is no slouch at full back. The opportunity was their to change it up and swap them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, demonstone said:

You can lead to the flank, use your rump to hold out your defender, t-bone anyone trying to block you, meat the footy with both hands and steak your claim as a forward who can last the forequarters.

SIR, LOINS and his other body parts are injury-free. He should be able to MEAT expectations. He might need to be CUT, LET him go free. Or he will forever be LAMBasted. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seems to be some confusion about being dropped and putting a line through his name all together.

It could down to another club offers him more than we’re prepared to pay. There’s not enough talent currently for the 18 clubs as it stands.

If Brown comes in next week and doesn’t get injured for the remainder of the season I’ll don’t think we’ll see Weid again. Too much money to be made elsewhere and that’s what it will come down to for him IMO.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, demonstone said:

He's no longer raw, but is he cooked?  

Well, he’s roasted every week on DL. He may need a grilling by the club. Otherwise, he’ll be stewing on this forever. And he’ll shank more games. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Effectively one player down - makes no consistent impression on the game - cannot lead to the incoming ball and thus, cannot interest midfielding disposals to be directed to him, in space - drops marks or bustled out of the contest - ideal candidate for the Filth.

25 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

It could down to another club offers him more than we’re prepared to pay. There’s not enough talent currently for the 18 clubs as it stands.

If Brown comes in next week and doesn’t get injured for the remainder of the season I’ll don’t think we’ll see Weid again. Too much money to be made elsewhere and that’s what it will come down to for him IMO.

Up to two weeks ago, Pies fans were hungering for a fairytale where they poach Weed from us. In the lead up to QB they were souring on that, and this week they're dead against it.

(They are aware of the NQR quality of their makeshift KPFs, only to see both of them run rings around the object of their dreams.)

It's hard to see any other club salivating at the prospect of having Weed heading up their forward department.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
  • Sad 1

I wonder if the Footy department looked at Jackson Callow 

"" described  VICE LIKE HANDS" as compared to Jelly hands of the Weid

just a thought

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Up to two weeks ago, Pies fans were hungering for a fairytale where they poach Weed from us. In the lead up to QB they were souring on that, and this week they're dead against it.

(They are aware of the NQR quality of their makeshift KPFs, only to see both of them run rings around the object of their dreams.)

It's hard to see any other club salivating at the prospect of having Weed heading up their forward department.

Head up, no but I think clubs would consider him as a second tall. Every year talk forwards and ruckman get on the merry go round. I think we’ll offer him a contract for 2 years on low dollars. Another club will easily beat what we’re offering.

Watching first year player Harrison Jones clunk them today for the Bombers.

Marking is a 101 footy skill taught in juniors which Weid just does not seem to have.

Kick, Mark and handball. Beggars belief we have AFL players who can’t do the basics.

Edited by olisik
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 5
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:24 PM, old dee said:

There is no one in the league that would pay him 650 or anything close. If there is then they would on that basis be prepared to cough up a decent draft pick for him. Take it and run is my hope. 

OD, l have no doubt rusted on Magpie supporters will pressure the new board at Collingwood to pay that and more for Weid. All the ones l know are salivating at the prospect of getting another Weideman playing senior football for them. They just won’t recognise his limitations. A very good early test of the professionalism for their new board. 

My guess is they haven’t changed their spots, and therefore will remain mid list at best. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, olisik said:

Watching first year player Harrison Jones clunk them today for the Bombers.

Marking is a 101 footy skill taught in juniors which Weid just does not seem to have.

Kick, Mark and handball. Beggars belief we have AFL players who can’t do the basics.

He was so good and so skinny. They look ok the bombers. 

8 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

SIR, LOINS and his other body parts are injury-free. He should be able to MEAT expectations. He might need to be CUT, LET him go free. Or he will forever be LAMBasted. 

There’s no skirting around this issue anymore. Is he a rump or not.

• Haha 2