Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Toby Greene umpire contact

ding

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Martin received a fine in 2018 for something similar, it was deemed ‘careless’. Ed Curnow received a one match ban in the same year for making contact with an umpire. Different rules for different players. Greene’s is one of the most intentional I’ve seen, it should be a suspension but fully expect him to be fined. 

Weird that nobody has mentioned this yet, but Greene was reported and managed to escape suspension as recently as June of THIS year for touching an umpire. 

He even said that he “couldn’t guarantee that it wouldn’t happen again”. Man of his word at least  

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Greene was riled up over the free that was turned over because he fended-off into the neck of an opponent. 

It will be paramount to the MRO what the umpire says about the incident. 

It appears Greene walked at the shoulder of the umpire. The umpire moved in synchronisation so as to avoid contact.

Did not seem a malicious act, more of a brain fade.

Not a good look.

• Like 1

Well, the last time i saw a similiar act was a lout strutting toward a bloke who was not aware he had offended this guy. Likely committed a grevious act, like looking at the lout. Next up the lout made a beeline to the unsuspecting bloke, dipped the shoulder to provoke a fight. The only thing missing was the sneaky headbut. A lout, more more, no less. 

7 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Seen the fox breakdown now

He has the arm tucked in, and bulk of contact looks like forearm at around stomach/chest level. Still unnecessarily forceful

Regardless of tucked arm versus shoulder, he walked through the umpire, didn't even shape away or pretend to try to go around (sort of looks like he leans towards).

It's an unnecessarily aggressive act, with contact, while he was arguing about something. The sort of act that starts a pub fight (Toby may be familiar with pub fights? 🤔)

4 weeks, and consider himself lucky it didn't look worse on camera

Analyse it all you like in slow mo etc.. Back in the real world we all saw Tobys anger, strutt, finger pointingm directional change, shoulder dip and then his comment when he said it was the heat of the moment. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Meaning what exactly.

He is very versatile and creative with the use of crutches.

• Like 1

Down to the umpire and if he felt threatened or that Greene acted in a disrespectful/demonstrative way towards him. The vision doesn’t look great but the more I watch it the less the contact seems forceful. The big thing though is you just never do that, with an official of any sport proper respect needs to be given that that includes ensuring you don’t initiate contact. 

I think he’ll get the toughest fine and avoid the tribunal but it will be interesting to see. He’s a fantastic player but a *** of a bloke, it appears rather than try to pull his head in GWS have decided you take the good with the bad. 

Edited by Pates

The only reason the contact wasn’t more forceful was because the umpire moved. Toby did nothing to avoid the umpire and forced the umpire to move which is simply unacceptable. 

I thought 5-6 weeks on first viewing. I’d be ok with 3 but the AFL is weak when it comes to big name players at finals time.

• Like 2

On first crack, Morris, Johnson and Dal Santo were all talking ‘how many weeks’. There’s no way he’s just getting a fine. 

• Like 5

Close inspection of the vision shows Toby's hand (and therefore his arm/shoulder) moving away from the umpire and it looks like the umpire voluntarily moves the angle of his body slightly backwards to let Toby pass.  At worst Toby's forearm or upper arm brushed that of the umpire.  

Unless there is conclusive vision from the other side showing contact Toby should play on.

Crikey, Neale got off with a fine a few weeks ago for angrily yelling at and slapping the umpires upper arm.  Where was the hue and cry from the commentators then.  Crickets.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Certainly want this bloke playing against the Cats. Missing a final for brushing past an ump would be ridiculous. 

the Ump looked like he was having a conversation with Toby and continued on and didn’t look intimidated or bothered. 

play on

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Close inspection of the vision shows Toby's hand (and therefore his arm/shoulder) moving away from the umpire and it looks like the umpire voluntarily moves the angle of his body slightly backwards to let Toby pass.  At worst Toby's forearm or upper arm brushed that of the umpire.  

Unless there is conclusive vision from the other side showing contact Toby should play on.

Crikey, Neale got off with a fine a few weeks ago for angrily yelling at and slapping the umpires upper arm.  Where was the hue and cry from the commentators then.  Crickets.

I keep watching it and that is not at all what happens. Green does nothing to avoid the contact, he leans in if anything. The umpire is the only one who tries to avoid contact at the last second. Given the umpires was the one who was stationary, that is absurd. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

He was probably shocked that a player had just walked into him. If the tribunal give any credence to the non-report they would only be once again proving their incompetence. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, hardtack said:

Yes, but since when has the MRP or tribunal ever been interested in intent? Sad but true.

They were pretty big on intent when Maloney didn't actually bump Bartel, but that didn't really create a precedent did it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S_T said:

I keep watching it and that is not at all what happens. Green does nothing to avoid the contact, he leans in if anything. The umpire is the only one who tries to avoid contact at the last second. Given the umpires was the one who was stationary, that is absurd. 

If the umpire hadn't stepped aside there would have been body to body contact.  But he did. 

To me it looks like no body to body contact was made. Brushing of arms is about it. 

Toby wasn't in his face yelling and screaming like Neale was.  Neale showed clear disrespect verbally and physically and got a fine.  Toby's 'incident' looks much more tame than Neale's and should get the same or a lesser penalty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If the umpire hadn't stepped aside there would have been body to body contact.  But he did. 

To me it looks like no body to body contact was made. Brushing of arms is about it. 

Toby wasn't in his face yelling and screaming like Neale was.  Neale showed clear disrespect verbally and physically and got a fine.  Toby's 'incident' looks much more tame than Neale's and should get the same or a lesser penalty.

So if Green had thrown a punch and the umpire had ducked it, there would be. I thing to see?  Horribly flawed logic there. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I can't disagree more here.

Neale may have been more animated, but his contact was about trying to get attention. There was nothing threatening or intimidating about what Neale did, and it was clear he was moving away.

Greene's action was intimidatory, pushing through the physical space of the umpire in an act of dominance. Others have pointed out this is what starts fights at pubs.

It was more threatening and disrespectful than Neales contact, and the only thing that stopped it being harder was that the umpire was forced to move out of the way so he didn't get barged into.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Redleg said:

Not according to the media.

They believe what he says is very relevant, especially as the other camera angle doesn't show a bump, but rather a hand touch and then Stevic turns around.

If Stevic says he never touched me, do you think the MRO won't believe him?

Considering there is no vision of actual contact, what the umpire says is the most important thing anyone will say on the matter.

I believe Greene tried to walk through an umpire. A disgrace if he gets away with that, regardless of what the umpire says.

I believe the umpires are cowed into not clamping down as they should because they aren't supported properly by the AFL

I believe Stevic might well give a statement favourable to Greene, for the above reason ... "he did put away the knuckledusters before punching my jaw, so I felt he wasn't trying to hospitalise me."

I believe the most import thing about this matter is that players in all levels of competition must get the message loud and clear that contact (or attempted contact) with umpires is taboo. "Sacrosanct" if you like, but the AFL don't know the meaning of that word.

• Like 2