Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Spargo a ducker?

btdemon

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Spargo has definitely been to the Selwood, Hunter, McLean, Mathieson school of head ducking.

I'd say he's even worse than Selwood, Selwood tends to raise the arm/drop the knees when he is being tackled - in recent weeks Spargo seems to pick up the ball and actively look to attack the opposition player with his head and throwing his head back looking for a free. 

Still love him though.

Agree, but I'd have him in the Caleb Daniel faculty.

He definitely does drop his knees. 

I don't like it. It s***s me when Mathieson does it. As it does when Selwood does it. Charlie should cut it out.

4 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

He definitely does drop his knees. 

I don't like it. It s***s me when Mathieson does it. As it does when Selwood does it. Charlie should cut it out.

Agree 100%, I despise those guys for doing it and hating how Spargo has picked up this habit.

Needs to cut it out of his game.

• Like 5

what i don't understand is during any game you will hear an umpire say he 'ducked' or use wording that says the player contributed to the tackle. Which is good umpiring then you see someone like Selwood drop his knees, then the tackler go for the waist and then Selwood slides his opponents arms up to his shoulders. all in one motion. Its obvious from the moon whats going on, but the umpire will call  high tackle. its insane. Selwoods frees for/against ratio is off the charts, as was Cyril Rioli a consistent ducker, diver.

how important is it? well both those players have plenty of premierships and awards. thing is I believe its easy to police.

but how fair to our players have to play? not exaggerate an in the back ? Max Gawn gets bullocked 20 metres off the ball constantly to keep him away from marking contests. he's the opposite, no gesticulating, just soldiers on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

but how fair to our players have to play? not exaggerate an in the back ? Max Gawn gets bullocked 20 metres off the ball constantly to keep him away from marking contests. he's the opposite, no gesticulating, just soldiers on.

He did actually look back at the umpire to say WTF. It was so obvious and I was absolutely gobsmacked the umpire missed it. Max was perfectly positioned, exactly where he was meant to be, the cats player with no eyes for the ball completely blocked him. 

I found it funny that the two pieces of analysis that King put forward in First Crack, one was a blatant free kick to Gawn and the other was a kick that travelled 10m but was given as a kick on goal. 

EDIT: thought this was the post match thread. So one more time, I love Spargypants!

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

When he kicks a goal, the oppo fans call out "Spargo, you're another ducker", so I suppose he must be.

(I think that's what they're saying.)

Autocorrect is a spectator at our matches?

Who cares if he does? It’s not illegal.

If he is blatant about it, it won’t get paid. If he keeps ducking and gets caught holding the ball, the coaches will stamp it out quick smart.

I hate it when Selwood and the others do it. I don’t care when our players do, especially if they suck the umpires in. Yes I’m a one eyed, biased hypocrite, so what?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, btdemon said:

I haven't posted for a long time. I was just listening to the latest podcast. Andy and Binman defending Spargo as NOT being a ducker. I love Charlie Spargo and I'm glad he's playing for us. He is smart, tough and seems to be a wonderful team player. However, he is rivalling Selwood and Mathieson as a pro-ducker. he has a different technique from Selwood and Mathieson. Selwood drops his knees as a first response to feeling a tackle. Mathieson does the same and throws his head back dramatically. Spargo is like a cat rubbing its head up against your leg. He immediately leans his head into the armpit of the tackler. Being small he gets rewarded for it consistently and has made it an important part of his armoury. Yes, it's smart but if I was an opposition supporter I would hate it just like I hate it with Selwood and Mathieson. But Spargs, keep doing what you're doing.

I can see why

Just delete this thread.

A disgrace

He's small and crafty. Every sport has crafty athletes that aren't blessed with great height, super speed, sublime strength, etc. 

They use craft, nous, cunning and other things to get through. Think about the great knuckleball pitchers in baseball,  or the 'goons' in ice hockey and Ric Flair in every one of his heel title runs. 

I love it! 

• Like 1

I mentioned this on another forum, I wish he would stop doing it, it makes it hard for me to be righteous about, Selwood, Shuey, Mathieson and Co. And I really want to be righteous on this one, because Selwood and Mathieson annoy the Carp out of me

• Like 2

Selwood is a blatant cheat and it’s about time The Media said something about it. 

Spargo is not in the same category 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/geelongs-joel-selwood-under-fire-for-blatant-throw-in-loss-to-melbourne-c-3748015.amp

• Like 3

I don't see the obsession with ducking as a marker for character.

Tacklers and umpires adjust and the game gets better as a result.

There may be some room for umpires to improve their adjudication of ducking but it's not the player's issue.

People telling Charlie to stop ducking when he's gotten us a fair few goals by doing it.

If Charlie Spargo ducks and wins a free kick, that turns into a goal to win us a Grand Final i'll call in to Melbourne radio and tell everyone complaining to suck [censored] and praise be to the short blonde stallion that is Charlie Spargo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

I can see why

Just delete this thread.

A disgrace

Why? There is certainly a number of people on here who share his opinion. It certainly is worthy of conversation. 

I am surprised that so many supporter admit that he does it and are fine with it. He throws his head back before contact is even made. I've given it to a number of other opposition players over the years for doing it and I absolutely hate it.

• Like 3

He did duck in the Geelong game and the ump was onto it.

He does play low to the ground however and has been justly rewarded several times this year. Not so much a ducker - that won't get him a free - but he does run low and plays for high contact. Just like Caleb Daniel and no-one's bagging CB so let Spargo get on with it.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about it, when a player is smaller than average, I feel like it is almost a protective instinct, it makes the tackler think I have to be careful to not give away a free here. Instead of half killing the smaller player, they are a bit slower on the tackle, creating a sliver of time towards disposal of the ball. I know it is popular to hate on Selwood here, and I don't like his cheap shots, but he was a target for a long time and found a way to protect himself, fair play I thought.

On the other hand it is diving, and as such, cheating. 

So forgive me for splitting hairs, but I see two different types of ducking; the cheating Mathieson version where the whole plan is to get a free from the start and the Spargo type where it is more of a protective instinct during the tackle.

• Like 1