Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 23 vs Geelong

Demonland

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

No offence, but can they not do that 2nd qtr to me?

I get poetry but I also get major heart impacts.

Its just the way it has to be. Like how the Colliwobbles can only happen after Collingwood gets off to a good start in a grand final.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Today was a hard day for a lot of people all over Victoria. I know it was for me. I had to turn the game off at half time for the sake of my mental health. I’m glad my dad kept watching and urged me to turn it back on in the last quarter. 
This has to be one of the best wins I’ve ever witnessed as a Melbourne supporter. The pure joy of doing it over Geelong is just that much better. 

For similar reasons, it's probably the closest I've ever come to walking away at half time. I didn't, but the urge was there in a way it never really has been before (despite some truly terrible performances). I put it down to the kind of day (week, year) it's been. Just a big case of "I don't want to deal with this right now". So I get where you're coming from and I don't blame anyone who was in a similar boat and made the same choice - we all deserve to savour every tiny bit of this victory.

(Glad you got to see the end though!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, just watched the last 2 minutes for the, what, 20th time?

Well done to the trainer who leapt over the fence and into the seats to retrieve the ball after the 50m penalty was paid. They were lightning (don't mention the lightning!) fast. Seriously, that could have been a crucial 5-10 seconds longer for Geelong to set up if this person wasn't so on the ball and dedicated to getting the ball back ASAP.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Dear lord.

What was that.

Let's be clear: we were the better side for all bar 20 minutes. Geelong played 20 perfect minutes of football and I thought we were going to lose top spot because of just 20 minutes.

But the better team won.

I'm sure there will be some on here who will say we over-reacted to that win but IMO it may well be the greatest H&A win we've ever had (surely top 5), secured top spot after a tough year, gets us control over our finals destiny, and beat Geelong in the process. The reaction IMO shows the unity of our side and how much we want to win, and want to be successful and relevant. 

Oliver should have just sewn up the AFLCA award and may have grabbed a Brownlow too. That was an elite performance.

It's no coincidence that our A-graders were the ones who were down in the second quarter (Gawn got belted, Lever/May owned, Oliver/Petracca nowhere to be seen), but simultaneously where the ones who dragged us back into it. Gawn got back on top, Lever and May in the second half rectified all their poor form, and Petracca lifted.

This could be a watershed moment for this club. 

I'm so proud, but mindful that we have to reset now because a minor premiership isn't the real thing.

Agree with most of this but felt Trac struggled most of the night, as did May.

Gus played a great defensive game though IMO. I hope he gets internal accolades, which I'm sure he will.

I still think Smith has completely thrown out our defensive synergy. Geelong's first goal was caused because he clattered into a team mate. He does it too often. I worry that we've left it too late to be bringing in a guy that hasn't played enough footy next to our current back 6. Let's hope it doesn't cost us.

Just watched the replay again....2am....still just stunned. How is the TV still in 1 piece...? Maybe its not and it will fall apart later.

Spargos 2 x goals in the last were epic. Cant believe some of the bagging that he cops on here. Unreal. He reads the play so well.

Clayton Oliver ....is he not up there with the best midfielders of all? Hes gotta be fav for Charlie now.

....and im just so glad we have BBB. His marking. Wow.

2 more wins and we are into the Big Dance.

Goodnight to all.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

Surely Sat night Dees v Lions Adelaide Oval full week recovery?

Plenty of angles to this, but one is to back our fitness vs the Lions and go off another 6 day break. They'll have a six day break too, and are way slower than us.

Chris Scott’s presser after the match was Comedy gold. He is either clueless or in denial. Geelong are simply too unfit to play out 4 quarters Joel Selwood said nothing insightful in his slot, post match on the Geelong website. He might be a good footballer but he is as thick as a brick!

• Thanks 1

Watching the replay, Gary Rohan had some last quarter.

Free kick push in the back to May on the wing when Geelong were out at the back, free kick dragging May down in the pack when Danger was out the back into 50 and finally just misjudging it enough in front of Gawn to allow MFC to have their first ever after the siren win.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Refrained from posting on any of the threads during the game, because I knew it was all negative. So, I just want to say this:

Every poster on this site loves the Club. It’s an unconditional love. It’s hard at times, because it’s been torture at times. There have been some highs, but a lot of heartbreak. We have been the office jokes. The [censored] takes. We have endured the sneers. We’ve copped a lot of crap. However, 57 years of hurt and ridicule just got put to bed. There is a still a job to do. However, as Tracc said post game, “this is for the Melbourne supporters who have been embarrassed to wear the logo”. If that doesn’t send a tingle down your spine, I don’t know that you are human.

Its the proudest moment in my lifetime as a supporter. I am full of hope of what we can achieve in this finals series. We can trust this group. We can be proud of this group. They love the Club like we love the Club. 

It is indeed a Grand Old Flag 

• Like 21
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

They ran out of gas.  There's a reason Scott keeps wanting shorter games.  He has the oldest list by a fair whack.  They can't match the fitter sides for four quarters. 

Rohan and Cameron looked stuffed half way through the third. Constantly had hands on hips or were sucking in the big ones. That's what happens when you have the oldest list in the history of the game, you mugs.

3 hours ago, hardtack said:

Also, while harking back to 2018, I couldn’t help but notice Fritsch emulating Hannan’s goal in the final against Geelong… almost a carbon copy!

Very good call.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, A F said:

Agree with most of this but felt Trac struggled most of the night, as did May.

Gus played a great defensive game though IMO. I hope he gets internal accolades, which I'm sure he will.

I still think Smith has completely thrown out our defensive synergy. Geelong's first goal was caused because he clattered into a team mate. He does it too often. I worry that we've left it too late to be bringing in a guy that hasn't played enough footy next to our current back 6. Let's hope it doesn't cost us.

Just watched the replay (plus the last kick 10+ times, near tears again) and although he wasn't clean, Trac did play a vital role in the last.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

Watching the replay, Gary Rohan had some last quarter.

Free kick push in the back to May on the wing when Geelong were out at the back, free kick dragging May down in the pack when Danger was out the back into 50 and finally just misjudging it enough in front of Gawn to allow MFC to have their first ever after the siren win.  

Yep, someone must have told Rohan he was playing a final in the last. What a deadset crumbler that guy is. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

That was the win we had to have

Max saving his kicking boot for the end

We beat the umpires for the first time - gave nothing away in that last quarter, giving the umpires no chance to interfere with the flow of football - we all know that the Cats were secondary to the result of the game. Then, the Demon guardian angel struck so our opportunitites were not interrupted by the maggots with whistles. Boy, did the boys perform.

• Like 1

I'm still dirty on Guthrie for giving it to Max when he missed a goal after the siren to win the match in Round 1, 2018

Guthrie - Round 1 (2018)
9585200-3x2-940x627.jpg

Guthrie - Round 23 (2021)
guthrie.thumb.jpg.d8b5ed7d138272924d8410efd6efb111.jpg

Sweet Revenge for Max 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by DavidNeitz9
  • Like 10
  • Love 9
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Blinkybill said:

Has any team come from 44 points down at Geelong and win? Not for many years if at all.

But I had hope late in the third quarter.

The closest to that is they only ever lost at Geelong once before after being 5 goals up at 3qtr time and that was to west coast 2006!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No Plan B said:

In my 33 years on this wonderful planet, I've never ever ever ever had a feeling like that. My [censored] goodness. 

I wish we could go back to the 50s-60s, to see what this Club really was and how that last quarter, last night, was the epitome of such a footballing era. In the weeks ahead of us, getting to - and winning -  a GF would be enormous; to finish on top of a minor premiership list as we did with so much heart is, for me, very rewarding and more important that the short-term road ahead. Carna Dees! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

Can't wait to hear Scott's carry on about having to travel to Adelaide to play Port. This team will get so much out of this win. 

Port will cream the Cats in Adelaide - one rodent in the system eliminated. The umpires gave the Cats every chance - embarrassingly so - and stopped the Demon momentum as best they could for nearly two full quarters. Class won through.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, tbrookes3 said:

Just went to watch the replay and found my recording stopped with 4:20 to go. 🤬

Same happened to me as well. Very poor of Foxtel. Get your act together nuff nuff's. Promptly set up a new replay early this morning. Has anyone else noticed that for set shots for goals none of our players are spinning the ball on the runup. This used to really pi$$ me off and could well have contributed to many points being scored.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boots and all said:

Unbelievable. Totally speechless. Max struggled for 3 quarters and then turned it on. 

Max was held, opponent's arm around his back pulling him downwards and one arm fully incapacitated, for three quarters at ruck contests and marking huddles with no interference from the umpires. In the last quarter, Max went to his own space and [censored] killed their ruck combo from an unhindered approach.

• Like 1