Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Finals 2021

Demonland

12 hours ago, DubDee said:

I don’t know. The Cats worry me. 
given Port’s record against good sides I’d be comfortable with a final against Port

If there will be no finals at the G due to no crowds why would there be a final in Geelong?

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If there will be no finals at the G due to no crowds why would there be a final in Geelong?

Unlikely I’d say. unless Melbourne is locked down and regional isn’t long term

I just meant I’d prefer to play Port over the Cats regardless of the venue 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Geelong have the option of hosting GHMBA stadium finals because of no crowds at the MCG,  then surely we’re better off playing Port in Adelaide than Geelong in Geelong.

To my mind Geelong’s home ground advantage is more pronounced than Port’s regardless of crowds, and therefore more difficult to beat.

As above if Geelong can choose to play in Geelong because of no crowds surely that means we get to play at the G without crowds if we finish top 2?

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hardtack said:

I don’t think so… assuming we win tomorrow, if we beat the cats and dogs win, then we play Port in the first final as they finish 4th and we finish 1st.

If we lose to cats and dogs win, we play the dogs in the first final.

If we beat cats and port win and lions win, we play the lions in the first final.

There are plenty of instances where we won’t play the dogs.

Yeah look I didn’t put a lot of effort or science into it, 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If geelong finish top 2 they get the right to name the venue in theory . The ground is narrow so there is a lot of of out on full by opposition

1 hour ago, Hell Bent said:

They'll finish top 2 regardless of any other result if they beat Dogs next week . 

I had discounted the probability of Port beating Bulldogs as their recent form, while winning hasn't been really convincing.  But then again neither have the Bulldogs last two losses.

Very glad that game is before ours so that we know the result.

As an aside, this is one time a 6 day break might help us.  We have had our 5 day break so the AFL can't schedule our game on Friday night to be before the Port/Bulldogs game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satan said:

If geelong finish top 2 they get the right to name the venue in theory . The ground is narrow so there is a lot of of out on full by opposition

So that same theory means if we finish top 2 we get to name the ground, regardless of capacity?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Geelong region is not in lockdown so the government could allow some crowds there as they could at Ballarat if the Bulldogs get a home final and ask for it there, outside of metro melb.

Both would be attractive to the AFL, especially if Port is one of the opponents and SA relax the restrictions to the border to Victoria in the next few weeks.  

The government allowed a small crowd at GMHBA vs Bulldogs when Melb was in lockdown.  Fair chance that Bulldogs supporters live outside of metro melb (or snuck out).

Very vote catching to allow finals in Geelong or Ballarat.  Doubt the goverment gives two hoots about us. 

A possible senario:  we finish top 2 and scheduled to play Geelong and no crowds in Melb.  Lets choose Ballarat!  and vice versa if we play Bulldogs, choose GMHBA!!  So if we can't have Marvel or MCG lets not give the Vic team a Home ground advantage.  

Lets hope we finish top 2 and at least have some say in venue.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As above if Geelong can choose to play in Geelong because of no crowds surely that means we get to play at the G without crowds if we finish top 2?

Apparently Pert has insisted we play at least one of our home finals at the MCG regardless of crowds. 

My gut feel is if we finish top 2, the qualifying final will be at the MCG. Not sure what happens if unfortunately we host a semi final (and I mean unfortunately because it would’ve meant we lost week 1)

The prelims and grand finals could very well be played in Adelaide and/or Perth.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Geelong region is not in lockdown so the government could allow some crowds there as they could at Ballarat if the Bulldogs get a home final and ask for it there, outside of metro melb.

Both would be attractive to the AFL, especially if Port is one of the opponents and SA relax the restrictions to the border to Victoria in the next few weeks.  

The government allowed a small crowd at GMHBA vs Bulldogs when Melb was in lockdown.  Fair chance that Bulldogs supporters live outside of metro melb (or snuck out).

Very vote catching to allow finals in Geelong or Ballarat.  Doubt the goverment gives two hoots about us. 

A possible senario:  we finish top 2 and scheduled to play Geelong and no crowds in Melb.  Lets choose Ballarat!  and vice versa if we play Bulldogs, choose GMHBA!!  So if we can't have Marvel or MCG lets not give the Vic team a Home ground advantage.  

Lets hope we finish top 2 and at least have some say in venue.

So if we can get 20k people to the G they'll let us play the Prelim there should we be hosting? I doubt it, it seems like there's one rule being discussed for the Cats and another for us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So if we can get 20k people to the G they'll let us play the Prelim there should we be hosting? I doubt it, it seems like there's one rule being discussed for the Cats and another for us.

I think the issue is with/without crowds rather than crowd numbers.  I was outlining how GMHBA or (Mars Stadium) could host finals with crowds even if Marvel and MCG cannot.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

3 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Because if you lose the QF you are not out.  You get another chance the following week in a Semi Final.

All other finals are sudden death.

But if don't lose the QF then there is only one chance which does not equate to a double chance.

I guess the underlying question is " a double to do what?".

• Facepalm 1

There can be no more doubt. This our best season since 1964. Our most wins since 1956. Our team are premiership contenders and we have a genuine chance.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

I'm a GFG holder here in Melbourne. If it's in SA I will definitely make the trip. 

It may all be moot though with the way the covid numbers are heading in ViC,  we simply won't be allowed in any other State. 

It would be a good consolation to know that my GFG slot is used by a Dee's supporter rather than wasted

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Best result is WB beating Port on Friday night .... Demons would finish 1st (if we beat Jee-long) or 2nd (if we don't).

If Port win, and Geelong win, Demons play Port in Adelaide. Not a great outcome.

So, I'll be hoping for WB win, or if Port win, hoping for a Demons win.

If WB win, then I'm not too fussed about Demons v Geelong other than not wanting injuries, or if Geelong win, not by too much.

Edited by bingers
  • Like 1

Geez so much will be riding on that Friday night game if dogs win I can see both swans and lions resting players as they can’t move into top 4 and can’t move down, it also allows us to rest players as we can’t drop below 2nd same with Geelong, if port win then that opens up everything as lions can jump into 4th and we need to win to avoid trip to Adelaide 

47 minutes ago, bingers said:

Best result is WB beating Port on Friday night .... Demons would finish 1st (if we beat Jee-long) or 2nd (if we don't).

If Port win, and Geelong win, Demons play Port in Adelaide. Not a great outcome.

So, I'll be hoping for WB win, or if Port win, hoping for a Demons win.

If WB win, then I'm not too fussed about Demons v Geelong other than not wanting injuries, or if Geelong win, not by too much.

I had previously posted this too but it's not entirely correct.

if Port and Geelong both win, Port could pass Geelong on percentage (i.e. if Port wins by a lot and Geelong only wins by a little bit -  the gap between them is only 1.3%).

So it's possible if we lose and the Dogs lose that we could finish 3rd and play Geelong again the following week.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brendan said:

Geez so much will be riding on that Friday night game if dogs win I can see both swans and lions resting players as they can’t move into top 4 and can’t move down, it also allows us to rest players as we can’t drop below 2nd same with Geelong, if port win then that opens up everything as lions can jump into 4th and we need to win to avoid trip to Adelaide 

I personally feel Port will get up - Dogs defence has been susceptible all year... 

6 minutes ago, brendan said:

5th gets you Essendon/Fremantle, but 6th gets you GWS.

For all the media-fapping over Essendon, I still don't rate them. I reckon 5th is preferable to 6th and drawing GWS in the first final. So I reckon Brisbane and Sydney will both be pushing to win their final games to avoid dropping to 6th.

Interesting stat on First Crack just now. Over the last 6 weeks, the top 8 teams have been measured in defensive tendencies without the ball, on a 1-18 rating (1 being best). The four areas measured included:

1.       Hold up as a defensive 50 when the opposition bring the ball in

2.       Whether you can stop the coast to coast

3.       How often you win the ball back between the arcs

4.       Flat pressure rating

Dees rated 1 in the comp in all four areas. The graphic shows the top 8 with accumulated scores. King’s view is that it’s the team that performs the best without the ball wins the flag. He reckons these stats make us not just a favourite for the flag, but a dominant favourite.

image.png.3916e49f5d11672937c0c6edf8cdf129.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Demonland said:

Old Trafford yesterday. 

image.png

There were 32,000 cases in the UK yesterday. 

How many were in hospital?

The population is fully vaccinated. No more lock downs for the UK and there’ll be no more here either once we all get the jab. What’s the point otherwise.