Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 22 vs Adelaide

Demonland

35 minutes ago, Pates said:

Side point, what is the club doing to give match practice without the VFL? We used to hear about the scratch matches being played last year but doesn’t seem to be the case this year. 

There have been scratch matches going on, but it seems from all clubs the reporting has ben very low key this year. You only hear about a big name coming back from injury, but they have been going on.

Just now, Fat Tony said:

I think everyone would agree that Hibberd is the most likely to come back in. He was playing decent footy before getting dropped. As much as Hunt's injury is a bummer, we do have decent depth.

I actually think Hibberd would be better served with a scratch match than a top level game. He was incredibly fumbley in his last few games, so going back with a little less pressure to find touch I think would serve him better than maybe increasing the need to perform. Get him back in the team with confidence as he was finding the ball ok, just then either fumbled or used it badly. I'd give Smith a go off half back as some have mentioned, to see how he goes when he's not trying to be a key defender. 

11 minutes ago, adonski said:

McDonald officially ruled out by Goodwin this morning.

But 'really confident' he'll play next week vs Geelong.

Shouldn't have gone to Perth, one of the rare mistakes the FD has made this year.

I'd bring in Weid and Smith this week, with AVB and Hunt going out, with JJ back to the sub role, just to give Sparrow 1 more week of full game time and then plan to swap them over next week. 

Edited by Red and Blue realist

9 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Shouldn't have gone to Perth, one of the rare mistakes the FD has made this year.

Agree. Don't think the flights would have helped a bloke with a sore back. Also treatment might have been easier and better at home, plus sleeping in your own bed.

If he is that sore that he is missing two games, then he obviously had a moderate back problem.

A poor decision given the circumstances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Agree. Don't think the flights would have helped a bloke with a sore back. Also treatment might have been easier and better at home, plus sleeping in your own bed.

If he is that sore that he is missing two games, then he obviously had a moderate back problem.

Hopefully it shows they are confident it is just a minor issue, but sitting on a plane for 7 hours, playing then jumping on a plane for 4 more hours the next day and I'm surprised there weren't a few more injuries. The club must have thought their medical guys were better equipped to take care of him over there? And maybe he's closer to being right than they are letting on, but now we have top 4 guaranteed they are being super cautious. 

Despite Hunt going out I believe the Club should take the opportunity to rest Salem and his sore groin, particularly since I hear the possibility of the AFL getting rid of the pre Finals bye.

For me it would be

OUT Hunt, Sparrow & Salem

IN Hibberd, Weideman & J Smith. 

AVB as Medical Sub  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I'd bring in Weid and Smith this week, with AVB and Hunt going out, with JJ back to the sub role, just to give Sparrow 1 more week of full game time and then plan to swap them over next week. 

I think he should have gone. It wasn't a fly in fly out scenario. They were there for a week and I think the squad as a whole would have got a lot more out of the trip than just the 4 points.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Hopefully it shows they are confident it is just a minor issue, but sitting on a plane for 7 hours, playing then jumping on a plane for 4 more hours the next day and I'm surprised there weren't a few more injuries. The club must have thought their medical guys were better equipped to take care of him over there? And maybe he's closer to being right than they are letting on, but now we have top 4 guaranteed they are being super cautious. 

I don't think this is fair.

For starters, the flights to/from Queensland aren't relevant - he didn't have the back problem until the GC match on the Sunday.

We had to fly to Perth the next day so unless his back was so obviously bad that it couldn't possibly have recovered in a week, why wouldn't we take him over and do his rehab over there? 

Sounds very hindsight-y to be now arguing that, because it still isn't right, we never should have taken him over.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DeeZee said:

I guess you are saying they are finished but Hibberd is a superb lock down back and has done the job on some pretty big names like Dusty and Danger, also if you’ve looked at Jonesys form in the last couple of games, he was very good, and  as a warrior of the club, deserves a go even as a sub.

Hibbos last game or so displayed fumbles and lack of pace. I think he is almost cooked at this level

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Hibbos last game or so displayed fumbles and lack of pace. I think he is almost cooked at this level

Yet he was still able to do some great lockdown roles during the early part of the season.

Might have a bit more in the tank after a rest.

I think he will be back this weeK.

Maybe they will give Smith a run, he has the obvious athletic attributes but he sure doesn't have the footy smarts.

Would this make him a liability to a well drilled defence?

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I think they had to keep the team together. There was no guarantee they would get home straight away if another outbreak occurred somewhere.

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yet he was still able to do some great lockdown roles during the early part of the season.

Might have a bit more in the tank after a rest.

I think he will be back this weeK.

Maybe they will give Smith a run, he has the obvious athletic attributes but he sure doesn't have the footy smarts.

I'm hoping the rest will help and also wondering if wet weather footy is now past him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yes, unless he has developed the footy smarts that I've not yet seen to date. I've never believed Smith was AFL ready when he played previously. Terrific athlete but lacked learnable skills. If he has now learned what was missing, he could be helpful. If he hasn't, I'm afraid he'll continue to be a liablity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Webber said:

I reckon too, deever. He was showing very good signs up forward in 2019. Will be our next back to forward conversion, à la David Neitz. And Tmac of course. 

I forgot Neiter played down back at the start of his career,

Gee what a revelation that was moving him up the line. Is he our leading goal kicker?

Great memories of the Z factor with him and Schwhartz.

Why do people want to bring Smith in at this late stage?  imo we should only bring someone in who is a real chance to play finals. Bowey is playing HB so he is cover for Hunt.  We have Rivers and Salem also.  Bring in Hibberd if needed, who was very good earlier in the season and should be fresh after a rest.

Smith has never proven himself to be a consistent performer and it would be crazy to try it again at this stage.  Not saying he can't make it ever just not now.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Seems like most of the players are fine which I assume means also Salem even though some learned people on here advise us he has groin issues. I would like Weid to come in and hope he can play a decent game along side BB. Hibbo for Hunt as he has the synergy with the rest of the backs and we can trust he gets back some form. JJ back to sub unfortunately.

Keep it simple and some normality allowing the team to improve before finals.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, adonski said:

I know the numbers align but his decision making was far better against the Eagles. He played like a smart [censored] against the GCS.

We won by 98 points, recon he coukd afford to take a few chances

On 8/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, Smokey said:

Don’t get too caught up in the basic numbers. His turnovers the week before were quite damaging 

Your right it really affected the 98 point margin.  Basic numbers don't always tell the story your right.  But context is also needed.  Last week at no point were we not in control.  He could afford to take chances.  But the numbers show, the base of his game and why we need him.  And people calling for him to be dropped after last week was crazy

5 hours ago, Webber said:

Just a sneaky wonder if Joel Smith might get the Hunt gig. If Tmac doesn’t get up, and Weid is played for Sunday’s drier day, who comes out? Melksham? Not likely. Sparrow? 

I reckon there is a very good chance Smith comes in.

They have had the luxury of playing players at Casey (when they get to play that is) in set roles that mirror roles played in the seniors.

For example, Daw plays the Max role. In the last couple of VFL games Weed played  took the TMac role (albeit with some ruck duties thrown in). Bowser played the Salem role. White the Brown/Weed role. Etc etc.

And, all season Smith has been playing the Hunt and Rivers role providing run and carry off half back.

It is a really good role for him because it doesn't expose his one one one defensive weakness too much, he has got some serious toe, is super fit, super competitive and tackles for keeps.

As bonus his leap and athleticism means he can impact aerial contests and help stop opposition forwards taking marks inside 50.   

And Goody rates him (as do i, for what its worth).

He was fantastic against Werribee - and they didn't take him for Perth for [censored] and giggles

So given he has been training and playing Hunts role - and we need someone to cover that role for 4 weeks - he seems the logical inclusion.

By the same logic weed comes in for Tmac (one assumes they will want to keep their there tall structure ahead of the finals).

And i  agree that Captain jack sparrow is the likely out. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, binman said:

I reckon there is a very good chance Smith comes in.

They have had the luxury of playing players at Casey (when they get to play that is) in set roles that mirror roles played in the seniors.

For example, Daw plays the Max role. In the last couple of VFL games Weed played  took the TMac role (albeit with some ruck duties thrown in). Bowser played the Salem role. White the Brown/Weed role. Etc etc.

And, all season Smith has been playing the Hunt and Rivers role providing run and carry off half back.

It is a really good role for him because it doesn't expose his one one one defensive weakness too much, he has got some serious toe, is super fit, super competitive and tackles for keeps.

As bonus his leap and athleticism means he can impact aerial contests and help stop opposition forwards taking marks inside 50.   

And Goody rates him (as do i, for what its worth).

He was fantastic against Werribee - and they didn't take him for Perth for [censored] and giggles

So given he has been training and playing Hunts role - and we need someone to cover that role for 4 weeks - he seems the logical inclusion.

By the same logic weed comes in for Tmac (one assumes they will want to keep their there tall structure ahead of the finals).

And i  agree that Captain jack sparrow is the likely out. 

...but can he take instruction?

He will need to be able to listen to Lever and May.

Otherwise it will be a very short return to senior footy and put him on the outer at the end of season.

11 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Your right it really affected the 98 point margin.  Basic numbers don't always tell the story your right.  But context is also needed.  Last week at no point were we not in control.  He could afford to take chances.  But the numbers show, the base of his game and why we need him.  And people calling for him to be dropped after last week was crazy

If we're looking at an individuals performance, it's better to look at their game in isolation. It's entirely possible to have a horrible game on a winning team. 

Not saying he was horrible, but comparing his games against WCE and GCS is apples and oranges to me, regardless if the stats look similar. 

You wouldn't recruit an 18 year old player in the draft based on stats alone, you have to observe them play over a period of time. So much of footy is not necessarily captured in stats.