Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 22 vs Adelaide

Demonland

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Thanks Ioges, no answers from me but some questions...😉

Ho many 'groins' has Christian been equipped with?

Does 'groins' soreness increase exponentially in line with the number of 'groins' present? 

Could Christian rationalise his 'groins' this late in the season as a means to run out the season in greater comfort? 

Pretty sure he has 2 , one on each side of the body, both of which were spotted after the Gold Coast game with ice packs applied.

One thing I’ve noticed is that we tend to have a diverse range of contributors across the board, some are up one week, some are down the next. We know that a team should always strive for consistency, but I actually think it’s ok for a spargo, Kozzie, heck even a Salem or tracc to be quiet here and there. The challenge with Salem at the moment (and I think I saw a graph of it on Kayo on Monday night) is that there’s a consistent trend which looks to be more than a drop in form but maybe a serious injury. If there was a game where we could potentially rest him for a week, it’s gotta be this weekend right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbie57 said:

With their ruck out is this a situation where we give Gawn or Jackson a rest with Weed coming in. Not Goody's style but it must cross their minds. 

I think they will give Gawn more minutes up forward to give him a rest. And BB will do more rucking in the forwardline. 

A great week to rest some players. Given individual finals spots are on the line, the drop-off in team performance may not be as much as anticipated.

Ie some sore players with half an eye to finals (eg Salem), might be replaced by hungry fringe players who play like it’s their grand final, and as such we still get through with a comfortable enough win.

with no vfl, we have to see the positive of some depth players getting a decent hit-out in case they need to step up to cover injuries during finals. 

Two more games until finals time.

This is the game to rest players who aren’t 100% fit. Then get them ready for Geelong and finals.

How we have been this year means that for us Adelaide probably won’t be a 100% certain win but surely we have enough depth for this weeks game.

if I was Goodwin I’d place out what my dream finals team looks like then go okay, McDonald isn’t 100% atm let’s get him right for Geelong. Hunt sore? Let’s get him right for Geelong. Salem still has some niggles, let’s get him right for Geelong. 

that’s my way of thinking. 

• Like 1

Why would anyone think Goody would rotate or rest platters just as we are starting to get synergy and form into our forwards and mids. If someone is a risk dont play them but now is not the time to rest players with a bye in 3 weeks. If Tmac is not right again this week and assuming its not wet I would like them to bring in Weid as we need to know that we have a functioning plan B for our preferred 3 tall forward line. With the role that Melksham played and played well on McGovern I would be keeping him in and setting him for Stewart, Rich and Daniels for finals. We need those three completely negated with someone that can do score damage with a low touch rate.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Why would anyone think Goody would rotate or rest platters just as we are starting to get synergy and form into our forwards and mids. If someone is a risk dont play them but now is not the time to rest players with a bye in 3 weeks. If Tmac is not right again this week and assuming its not wet I would like them to bring in Weid as we need to know that we have a functioning plan B for our preferred 3 tall forward line. With the role that Melksham played and played well on McGovern I would be keeping him in and setting him for Stewart, Rich and Daniels for finals. We need those three completely negated with someone that can do score damage with a low touch rate.

Goodwin:

“We want to create the habits that last you a long, long time as a footy club. It‘s important we continue to push that.

“In saying that, we certainly won‘t continue playing guys who are playing sore if we don’t need to. But we want to continue playing the right way.”

• Like 1

I sniff only one source of danger in this game. Now that both Walker and O'Brien are out the Crows may decide to go all-out with smalls scrambling and grubbing it along. That doesn't favour our defensive method and won't give us the intercept marks we like to counter-attack from.

Of course they might go with a Fogarty-Himmelberg-Thilthorpe tall forward line and rotate 'someone' through the ruck. In which case we'll likely just bite their heads off and spit them into a pile.

Worth noting that if we can hit their percentage enough, it will be Adelaide vs North for the spoon in the final round.

All the Adelaide 2021 season needs now is a tanking scandal and it would be complete.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I sniff only one source of danger in this game. Now that both Walker and O'Brien are out the Crows may decide to go all-out with smalls scrambling and grubbing it along. That doesn't favour our defensive method and won't give us the intercept marks we like to counter-attack from.

Of course they might go with a Fogarty-Himmelberg-Thilthorpe tall forward line and rotate 'someone' through the ruck. In which case we'll likely just bite their heads off and spit them into a pile.

Worth noting that if we can hit their percentage enough, it will be Adelaide vs North for the spoon in the final round.

All the Adelaide 2021 season needs now is a tanking scandal and it would be complete.

I posted yesterday that we beat West Coast despite May, Lever and Gawn combining for three intercept marks. So hopefully even if Adelaide do go the small forward line and chaos ball option, we've learnt how to adapt.

As to the wooden spoon, unfortunately North is 1.5 games behind Adelaide, so North would have to beat Sydney this week for their final round game to be a spoon play off.

Sorry not the correct forum but Im just musing out loud if a fit Tomlinson pushes Petty out next year.

I think Petty has been great and is growing in each game. From what I can tell he looks like he has all the makings of a good forward so that's always handy. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

We want to finish above Port right? They play Dogs last round…

Ideally we finish 1st and they finish 4th or we finish 2nd and they 3rd, they way we know all our finals will be in Melbourne - if they are even played here?? Finish 1/3 or 2/4 and if we lose the first week there is the possibility of playing them in Adelaide in a prelim.

41 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Sorry not the correct forum but Im just musing out loud if a fit Tomlinson pushes Petty out next year.

I think Petty has been great and is growing in each game. From what I can tell he looks like he has all the makings of a good forward so that's always handy. 

Unlikely Tomlinson pushes Petty out, i think. 

But, Petty would certainly be a decent option to throw forward if need be and Tomlinson is fit and available 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Ideally we finish 1st and they finish 4th or we finish 2nd and they 3rd, they way we know all our finals will be in Melbourne - if they are even played here?? Finish 1/3 or 2/4 and if we lose the first week there is the possibility of playing them in Adelaide in a prelim.

Well step 1 is to avoid playing them in Adelaide in the first final. That means we either need to win both games, or Port needs to lose one.

If we go 2-0, we'll finish 1st. We'll then host Port Adelaide, if they lose to the Dogs in Round 23, or Geelong, if Port beats the Bulldogs (assuming Port, the Dogs and Geelong all win next week).

If we go 1-1 and they beat the Dogs and go 2-0, there is a strong chance they finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, which is the worst result we can get at this point I think.

5 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I've been thinking about whether we'll see a player or two rested this week.

The concern is that with the bye coming up, and the potential for a week off if we win the first final, anyone who gets rested will be having a very stop-start run (will literally be play, week off, play, week off, play, then week off if we win the first final, before the prelim).

Don’t flirt with form. 
As I recall, this absurd pre finals bye was introduced as a illconsidered knee jerk reaction to Ross Lyon “resting” half his team on finals eve - and didn’t that work out well?

Agree if any significant injury particularly if at risk of aggravation, take no risk but otherwise gel the team. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

A great week to rest some players. Given individual finals spots are on the line, the drop-off in team performance may not be as much as anticipated.

Ie some sore players with half an eye to finals (eg Salem), might be replaced by hungry fringe players who play like it’s their grand final, and as such we still get through with a comfortable enough win.

with no vfl, we have to see the positive of some depth players getting a decent hit-out in case they need to step up to cover injuries during finals. 

The problem with resting players this year is the players you bring have not played a game for 3 weeks and some played about five for the year with the disaster that is reserves football. Everyone is on AVB"s back when he has been bought in. He is a classic of no build up games. Likewise Milkshake it probably took him the first half to get going last Monday.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Well step 1 is to avoid playing them in Adelaide in the first final. That means we either need to win both games, or Port needs to lose one.

If we go 2-0, we'll finish 1st. We'll then host Port Adelaide, if they lose to the Dogs in Round 23, or Geelong, if Port beats the Bulldogs (assuming Port, the Dogs and Geelong all win next week).

If we go 1-1 and they beat the Dogs and go 2-0, there is a strong chance they finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, which is the worst result we can get at this point I think.

Easy tu we win both!

7 hours ago, loges said:

I"ll answer my own question: yes reckon he has sore groins

Now ask yourself why you think that. I'd like to see a  lengthy multi quote involving just you Loges

23 minutes ago, old dee said:

The problem with resting players this year is the players you bring have not played a game for 3 weeks and some played about five for the year with the disaster that is reserves football. Everyone is on AVB"s back when he has been bought in. He is a classic of no build up games. Likewise Milkshake it probably took him the first half to get going last Monday.

Agree with this, although there can be exceptions. For example, I suspect Viney will benefit from his enforced break. In his case, I felt his getting caught with the ball five times was an indicator that he just wasn't ready and consequently couldn't break tackles the way he thought he could. With more time, he may get back whatever strength or speed has temporarily deserted him.

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Agree with this, although there can be exceptions. For example, I suspect Viney will benefit from his enforced break. In his case, I felt his getting caught with the ball five times was an indicator that he just wasn't ready and consequently couldn't break tackles the way he thought he could. With more time, he may get back whatever strength or speed has temporarily deserted him.

We need the  VFL back for the last weekend this month so players can get a run before finals start. No confidence it will happen of course.

37 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Now ask yourself why you think that. I'd like to see a  lengthy multi quote involving just you Loges

Why do I think he has sore groins, well 2 reasons, he's not been as prevalent since the bye and pretty sure he was rested for 1 week already and there was also a post after the Gold Coast game that he was seen icing both groins.

• Like 1