Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 21 vs West Coast

Demonland

Great win by the boys, had them cooked and the 39 minute reprieve help them immensely. NIC NAT was gassed as were others for WCE and they got a 30 minute rest.

We came out trying to hold a lead without picking up an injury and they had nothing to lose.

When it mattered we cracked in and stepped up. Great on the road win and a great test for what seems to be a finals campaign on the road.

Well done MFC

• Like 6

The Eagles were very good last night and (as always) got an armchair ride from the umpires, so it was an excellent win.

If we do have to play finals in Perth, Optus Stadium suits our game style. It is a fast track a bit like Docklands and the narrow ground is well suited to the defensive game plan.

It was good to see our forwards play well. Jackson was outstanding. ANB and Spargo played very well. And Ben Brown was a good target and effective.

• Like 3

Sorry but how good does our midfield look without Viney. Balanced and with some outside run, always moving in a dangerous manner. Unselfish.

Harness, Clarrie and Trac is a must, moving forward.

Can't have 3 bulls in there looking for their own ball. Great work Harmes, great game!!!

Sorry bu no room for Viney in the midfield.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Now that the adrenaline has worn off, I’m feeling super content with last night’s match.

The post-lightning play has all but been erased from my memory. That is an exceptional circumstance that will probably never happen again that was an absolute gift for our opposition, in fact Adam Simpson described it as divine intervention. Before the break we absolutely had our foot on their throats. We have heavily relied on superior fitness all year and West Coast looked dead on their feet. It was always going to be extremely difficult to keep the boys “up” for half an hour, and a 30 minute break during the last quarter meant our chief advantage was lost. West Coast are a good team and threw caution to the wind.

We’re in an exciting place. The third quarter and pre-break last quarter were pure dominance, against a good side, in extremely hostile conditions. If it wasn’t for a one in ten year freak event, we’d be talking about one of the greatest wins we’ve seen in our lives.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Bit of a culture shock seeing WCE Eagles supporters.. it's amazing how one team can attract so many average human beings.

WCE fans are a strange breed.  You find most that attend the games are your arm chair football supporters that have had a reserve seat for 20 years.  They don't really understand the rules and work off the WCE rule book not AFL.  Most will be from the richer suburbs in WA, followed Subiaco or Claremont in the WAFL and look down at most people.  The working class in WA are Fremantle supporters, god help us if they every become any good.

• Like 2

Just some confirmation that we are moving into premiership contention according to experience.  We had 12 players who have played 100 games out there last night.  We also have McDonald, Viney and Hibberd who have played over 100 games.

Just some confirmation we could be there for some time, we had 8 players who are under 22 years old.

Hunt (94 games) and Fritsch (80 games) were the outliers.

I dont know if it accurate but the AFL site has Harmes playing only 54% of the game.  If true, it was an extraordinary effort to have 25 possessions and may explain why I didnt see much (if any) of him in the last 15 minutes.

• Like 3

Something that might be overlooked because it was a behind, but Trent Rivers effortlessly kicked a 75m drop punt. Not convinced there was a gale blowing like Richo said (from Melbourne studio). The guy just hits them pure.

Edited by No Plan B
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Here we go again with the vandenBerg myths.

"Professional free kicks"? He [censored] gave West Coast a goal with a ridiculous push in the back when the ball was going over the boundary line. Nothing "professional" about it, it was moronic. 

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have improved that aspect of his game. Meanwhile he was only on the ground for 50% of the game but had 6 clangers, our second-most.

He doesn't add anywhere near enough to our side to offset his mistakes and what are blatantly unprofessional free kicks.

It's insane that he gets praise for that sort of game. If Viney did the same thing he'd be pilloried.

I think Vanders knows it too.

Watched his body language closely after the siren sounded and he looked like a man that knows he's played his last AFL.

Won't survive another game after that performance. 

If we are needing another experienced big body then I think I'd go with Nathan Jones this time around.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Now that the adrenaline has worn off, I’m feeling super content with last night’s match.

The post-lightning play has all but been erased from my memory. That is an exceptional circumstance that will probably never happen again that was an absolute gift for our opposition, in fact Adam Simpson described it as divine intervention. Before the break we absolutely had our foot on their throats. We have heavily relied on superior fitness all year and West Coast looked dead on their feet. It was always going to be extremely difficult to keep the boys “up” for half an hour, and a 30 minute break during the last quarter meant our chief advantage was lost. West Coast are a good team and threw caution to the wind.

We’re in an exciting place. The third quarter and pre-break last quarter were pure dominance, against a good side, in extremely hostile conditions. If it wasn’t for a one in ten year freak event, we’d be talking about one of the greatest wins we’ve seen in our lives.

Good summary, and wondering how much behind the scenes going on to get WC up  as a possible backup for later finals crowds.

2 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

Something that might be overlooked because it was a behind, but Trent Rivers effortlessly kicked a 75m drop punt. Not convinced there was a gale blowing like Richo said (from Melbourne studio). The guy just hits them pure.

Flushed it well didn't he!

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Watched his body language closely after the siren sounded and he looked like a man that knows he's played his last AFL.

If we are needing another experienced big body then I think I'd go with Nathan Jones this time around.

Agree. He was terrible.

That free kick (goal) he gave away to Cripps was abysmal. 

He was given a life line, but sadly was unable to take it. I wish him all the best. Gave it his best shot, but he's cooked.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, binman said:

But the key things is as you say nik nat, who i maintain is the most over rated player in the AFL, was getting completely smashed by gawn and Jackson.

In large part that had to because Nik Nat is obviously unfit. Must be carrying 5-10 kg too much weight. He was totally out on his feet. And so was half their other players. The break was a gift from god for them. 15 minutes of burst football is all Nik nat can muster. 

Add Elliot Yeo to this as well. He was quite good in bursts, but cannot run out a quarter. Yeo was getting dirtier as quarters went on and he couldn't keep up.

The Eagles players all look so heavy and lethargic. 

Kennedy and Darling must be cooked during the week, they are constantly sitting under highballs and getting crunched in contests - tough way to make a living

1 minute ago, BW511 said:

Add Elliot Yeo to this as well. He was quite good in bursts, but cannot run out a quarter. Yeo was getting dirtier as quarters went on and he couldn't keep up.

The Eagles players all look so heavy and lethargic. 

Kennedy and Darling must be cooked during the week, they are constantly sitting under highballs and getting crunched in contests - tough way to make a living

Yeo's come off a year long injury 

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just now, bingers said:

Agree. He was terrible.

That free kick (goal) he gave away to Cripps was abysmal. 

He was given a life line, but sadly was unable to take it. I wish him all the best. Gave it his best shot, but he's cooked.

He was unfortunately terrible. I turned to my brother and said he ain't keeping his spot. 

Jordon, Viney, Sparrow, Jones all in front of him in terms of selection for the rest of the year now

25 minutes ago, Zimma said:

Sorry but how good does our midfield look without Viney. Balanced and with some outside run, always moving in a dangerous manner. Unselfish.

Harness, Clarrie and Trac is a must, moving forward.

Can't have 3 bulls in there looking for their own ball. Great work Harmes, great game!!!

Sorry bu no room for Viney in the midfield.

absolutely Zimma! No  disrepect to JV but blind freddy can see it.

It appears the only people who cant see this is the coaching group

6 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

He was unfortunately terrible. I turned to my brother and said he ain't keeping his spot. 

Jordon, Viney, Sparrow, Jones all in front of him in terms of selection for the rest of the year now

Bit sad and hasn't got any recognition from the Melbourne media department,  but last night was Vanders 50th AFL game.

Came in the same draft year as Petracca, Brayshaw and Alex Neale Bullen and all 3 players have gone on to player over 100 games.

Footy can be cruel at times.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Here we go again with the vandenBerg myths.

"Professional free kicks"? He [censored] gave West Coast a goal with a ridiculous push in the back when the ball was going over the boundary line. Nothing "professional" about it, it was moronic. 

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have improved that aspect of his game. Meanwhile he was only on the ground for 50% of the game but had 6 clangers, our second-most.

He doesn't add anywhere near enough to our side to offset his mistakes and what are blatantly unprofessional free kicks.

It's insane that he gets praise for that sort of game. If Viney did the same thing he'd be pilloried.

But.... but... he hurts people....

🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

I still recognise what those three are even in a shortened version Mel.

WTF is a Dee?  Half a Demon?   A neutered one?

Today Dee lighted

• Haha 1

Not sure if it has been brought up but I want to shoutout Clarry who copped a really heavy, relentless tag from Hutchings but still managed to have a big impact on the game. 21 contested touches, 9 clearances, and stood up in huge moments, hats off to him as in the past tagger's have got the best of him sometimes (DeBoer round 3). 

Harmes had his best game of the season, barely wasted a touch and his work rate with phenomenal. Needs to bring that every week. 

Bowey looking like a lock in the side, apart from that holding the ball he was so composed all night and you just feel safe and confident when he has the ball. I reckon its a safe bet that Salem will be rested this week so will get even more opportunity to show what he can do.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bit sad and hasn't got any recognition from the Melbourne media department,  but last night was Vanders 50th AFL game.

Came in the same draft year as Petracca, Brayshaw and Alex Neale Bullen and all 3 players have gone on to player over 100 games.

Footy can be cruel at times.

He has had some bad injuries which has limited his game numbers.