Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mac Andrew

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I know! They'd be looking at the boys picked up by the PREMIERS and thinking, I wish that was me. I wish I was going to the DEMONS, the top team and PREMIERS. Some guys have all the luck.

Or might they be thinking that if drafted to Melbourne they would struggle to get a game? Whereas at GC or other cellar-dweller they could be a star next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Or might they be thinking that if drafted to Melbourne they would struggle to get a game? Whereas at GC or other cellar-dweller they could be a star next year.

Possible, but we want boys who are prepared to work hard for it and not coast. The slackers can go to "the big 4" and other contemptible clubs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yesterday’s Herald Sun had an article on the young guns rated as ready to play. There’s no link available.but Andrew wasn’t  mentioned in the Sun’s list. Their men were Charlie Constable (pick 63 in the national draft) and Academy player Bodhi Uwland. Contrast that with what they say about our men -  “IT’S a hard side to break into but WA swingman Jacob van Rooyen, who the Demons will develop as a forward, will be ready and waiting. The 18- year-old, who played senior footy for Claremont, is one of the most physically developed draftees and is strong in the air.

After starring in defence for WA, the 193cm van Rooyen booted 24 goals in his last six WAFL Colts games. If anything, Melbourne could use more run through the middle, and that’s where the athletic Blake Howes could come in to the equation.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He has some athleticism for sure but he is so slight, I wonder that he would be A, pushed of the ball too easily and B, be suseptible to physical pressure.

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:29 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

In fact I'll quote this myself.

Congratulations to Mac Andrew in getting drafted. Obviously clubs saw fit to rate him in the top 10 draft. Who would have thought huh..

All the best to his career and will watch with interest.

We will watch with interest. All the best with the draft selection, Mac. Get some great game-time in, some experience and development in all the necessary areas. You will have the opportunity to join the Mighty Dees sometime in the future, where 'the best' will be at your disposal. 

Good luck to him, not sure the Suns are a great fit for him but I hope he has a long and successful career. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:59 PM, Demonland said:

What makes him unique from my point of view is that he’s probably the only player to make top five in the draft not on the strength of what he’s achieved so far but what he is projected to achieve starting a couple of years down the track which is always going to be a risky strategy from a recruiting point of view. If it pays off, the dividends are high but if not then the blokes who recruited him are in a bit of strife.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alpha33 said:

What makes him unique from my point of view is that he’s probably the only player to make top five in the draft not on the strength of what he’s achieved so far but what he is projected to achieve starting a couple of years down the track which is always going to be a risky strategy from a recruiting point of view. If it pays off, the dividends are high but if not then the blokes who recruited him are in a bit of strife.

Lucky the Suns list is so settled and mature. He can bide his time in the Twos while the seniors continue to dominate the league!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What amazes me is there are so many posts and features on a player, when from 2 months out from the draft, was never going to be available to the MFC.

Where is the 20 page thread on say Daicos?

• 2 months later...

I recently spotted Mac Andrew at a Gold Coast eatery and failed to notice any change in his build. However, despite the fact that we were led to believe he might be two to three years away, Adam Cooney is now tipping him “to make an instant impact in his debut season.”

“He’s got every attribute that you need to be a star at AFL level,” Cooney said of Andrew.

If Cooney’s right, this would be a remarkable rise to stardom for the young man. 

Why Suns young gun must “explode” and the top draftee tipped to break out

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I recently spotted Mac Andrew at a Gold Coast eatery and failed to notice any change in his build. However, despite the fact that we were led to believe he might be two to three years away, Adam Cooney is now tipping him “to make an instant impact in his debut season.”

“He’s got every attribute that you need to be a star at AFL level,” Cooney said of Andrew.

If Cooney’s right, this would be a remarkable rise to stardom for the young man. 

Why Suns young gun must “explode” and the top draftee tipped to break out

I’m so glad our recruits don’t come in under that kind of pressure anymore!  how many careers were ruined that way. I truly wish him well but can see no way, with that build, playing ruck he will impact the comp in 2022. Nor should he remotely be expected to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

I’m so glad our recruits don’t come in under that kind of pressure anymore!  how many careers were ruined that way. I truly wish him well but can see no way, with that build, playing ruck he will impact the comp in 2022. Nor should he remotely be expected to.

Doubt whether this is the Suns’ expectation.

It’s just one pundit giving an opinion based on nothing other than that he was selected at 5 in the national draft. Like many others, it’s doubtful whether he’s ever seen him play.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I’ve been told he’ll play round 1 unless there’s a slight breeze. 

Can you imagine Viney tackling him😵 He will be like Humpty Dumpty and break into a Gazillion pieces, none of the pieces will stick together again.... If they can be found!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

Despite him already taking out Ben King in a training "accident", nobody seems to suspect that he is subtly working undercover for his beloved Demons, to whom he shall surely return in a couple of years and become a star for us.

When I heard Lamb talking about him living just down the road, I thought; hello, we might get another one coming back to the fold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 6:50 AM, alpha33 said:

Wouldn't Luke Jackson have fitted into this category when selected? Or had he a body of work to fall back on that I've forgotten about?

Coincidentally, I suspect that Luke Jackson's success may well be the reason a project player like Andrew got picked as early as he did. Not so much because of the immediacy of Jackson, but the way he has impacted the game. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Wouldn't Luke Jackson have fitted into this category when selected? Or had he a body of work to fall back on that I've forgotten about?

Coincidentally, I suspect that Luke Jackson's success may well be the reason a project player like Andrew got picked as early as he did. Not so much because of the immediacy of Jackson, but the way he has impacted the game. 

No.

Jackson had been on the elite WA junior scene since Under 16s and had played in interstate carnivals representing his state during the years 2017-19. When drafted he weighed 94kg which is 20kg more than Andrew and there wasn’t much doubt at the time that he was going to be good to go early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, alpha33 said:

No.

Jackson had been on the elite WA junior scene since Under 16s and had played in interstate carnivals representing his state during the years 2017-19. When drafted he weighed 94kg which is 20kg more than Andrew and there wasn’t much doubt at the time that he was going to be good to go early. 

OK, I hadn't realised that. I thought Jackson was a basketballer and had only switched to footy at the last minute.

I stick by my second point, though, that Andrew may well have been selected because of the success of Jackson as a quality second ruck with on-ball skills. 

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

OK, I hadn't realised that. I thought Jackson was a basketballer and had only switched to footy at the last minute.

I stick by my second point, though, that Andrew may well have been selected because of the success of Jackson as a quality second ruck with on-ball skills. 

If you go to the Demonland Podcasts there’s an interview from December 2019 with Jason Taylor where he discusses the players drafted by the club in November 2019 including Luke Jackson. Taylor says that Jackson was the first player his team interviewed for the year (in February 2019) and that over a two year period he played in 25 matches for which vision was available for them to see ranging from Colts to National Championship games for WA. Jackson was runner up for the 2019 Larke Medal at the National Championships.

You’re right concerning the second part whereby clubs will be looking to add to their ruck stocks with mobile second rucks. Time will tell whether the risk taken by the Suns pays off.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

Reckon he will be back with us within 3 years - (no evidence except that the Suns are hopeless and home will beckon)

Return of the Mac,

Return of the Mac;

[baby you lied to me }

Return of the Mac,

Oh Baby you knew that I'd be back.

• Haha 2