Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

On this day in 1989 ...



Recommended Posts

I remember this game well - we got over the Cats by 3 points in a high scoring game at Waverley (112 vs 109) only 4 or 5 weeks after we got belted by them at the G when we kicked 2.8.20 for the entire game (the lowest score I've witnessed us kick) - we also kicked 2.8.20 in the opening round of 1991 when we travelled to Perth and got belted by the Eagles (Allen Jakovich's inauspicious debut).

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

This win and the win over Hawthorn at Princes Park were certainly our watershed moments of 1989.

Not sure what it was about the Dees but we couldn't get pass second base in 89/90/91 despite showing great promise in all three seasons.

Realistically the late 80s/early 90s dees were very good and had a lot of heart, but ultimately didn't have the talent to go all the way. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Realistically the late 80s/early 90s dees were very good and had a lot of heart, but ultimately didn't have the talent to go all the way. 

John Northey got everything out of that group. They had a great record against Hawthorn - better than any other side over that period 87-91, when the Hawks won three flags and were runner up in another play off.  Putting them out of the finals in 1990 was probably my second greatest footy memory, after round 22 1987.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

John Northey got everything out of that group. They had a great record against Hawthorn - better than any other side over that period 87-91, when the Hawks won three flags and were runner up in another play off.  Putting them out of the finals in 1990 was probably my second greatest footy memory, after round 22 1987.

Yep such a memorable win that final in 1990. A high point. We’d just beaten them the week before in the final round of the season … so 2 wins v the hawks in 2 weeks felt like a big statement. Dees were real contenders! 

Unfortunately the following game ( after a week off to let the magpies and eagles replay their draw) we played the eagles at waverley and got fully thrashed. despite the weeks rest and despite the eagles travel schedule. It’s a loss that remains one of my worst memories as the 1990 flag was just so winnable. it remains “ the one that got away” in my brain. so it was a big high  right next to a big low…. and of the two memories the loss makes a deeper impression. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Yep such a memorable win that final in 1990. A high point. We’d just beaten them the week before in the final round of the season … so 2 wins v the hawks in 2 weeks felt like a big statement. Dees were real contenders! 

Unfortunately the following game ( after a week off to let the magpies and eagles replay their draw) we played the eagles at waverley and got fully thrashed. despite the weeks rest and despite the eagles travel schedule. It’s a loss that remains one of my worst memories as the 1990 flag was just so winnable. it remains “ the one that got away” in my brain. so it was a big high  right next to a big low…. and of the two memories the loss makes a deeper impression. 

I went to that game. WCE totally outsmarted us by continuously kicking across the ground 'to the fatside', always unmarked players. We couldn't lay our hands on the ball.

Edited by bush demon
Sp.
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I remember this game well - we got over the Cats by 3 points in a high scoring game at Waverley (112 vs 109) only 4 or 5 weeks after we got belted by them at the G when we kicked 2.8.20 for the entire game (the lowest score I've witnessed us kick) - we also kicked 2.8.20 in the opening round of 1991 when we travelled to Perth and got belted by the Eagles (Allen Jakovich's inauspicious debut).

Good old Waverly....such a strange spot to put a stadium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

It’s a loss that remains one of my worst memories as the 1990 flag was just so winnable. it remains “ the one that got away” in my brain. so it was a big high  right next to a big low…. and of the two memories the loss makes a deeper impression. 

 

Amen. Look at the list of the team that won it. Christ. They should have been nicknamed "the NQRs"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

Yep such a memorable win that final in 1990. A high point. We’d just beaten them the week before in the final round of the season … so 2 wins v the hawks in 2 weeks felt like a big statement. Dees were real contenders! 

Unfortunately the following game ( after a week off to let the magpies and eagles replay their draw) we played the eagles at waverley and got fully thrashed. despite the weeks rest and despite the eagles travel schedule. It’s a loss that remains one of my worst memories as the 1990 flag was just so winnable. it remains “ the one that got away” in my brain. so it was a big high  right next to a big low…. and of the two memories the loss makes a deeper impression. 

That 1990 finals series was I think probably my first memory of being at the footy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Good old Waverly....such a strange spot to put a stadium.

Probably not such a strange decision at the time it was made. Firstly, Waverley was expected to become the geographic centre of greater Melbourne. That didn't happen, but not by much as the centre gradually moved eastward to about Ashburton until about 5 years ago and then started to move west again because of the rapid growth in the Werribee and Melton vicinities.

Secondly, the then VFL expected a railway line to go to Waverley (VFL Park), via Monash Uni. The apocryphal story, which may well be true, is that the Premier at the time, Henry Bolte, had to choose whether to send the railway line to Monash and the proposed VFL Park or through Sandown Racecourse to Dandenong. It is claimed that he chose Sandown because he was more of a fan of racing. (It's hard to believe today but back in the 50s and early 60s, racing used to get decent crowds to every Saturday meeting.) 

Edit: I should add that the failure to provide a railway line probably did more to kill VFL Park than anything else. And the "killing" of VFL Park enabled the MCG to grow to become the wonderful stadium it now is. (If only we could go...)

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing to kill off VFL Park was that it was the coldest, iciest, most windswept place in the southern hemisphere, apart from Cape Horn, and Ballarat.

Plus, modern stadiums are shaped like bowls. Waverley was shaped like a saucer. If you weren't in the first tier of seats, you needed a telescope to see what was going on when the ball was on the opposite side of the ground.

And that stupid bloody giant brown TV.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those were the days.

Avoiding radio broadcasts and all scores in general so one could save themselves for the replay.

Crossing the border into NSW to go to a club to watch the match live or going to a pub with a satellite connection to Imparja. (I lived in the Mallee and Kelly Country as a kid)

Drew Morphett (and Sandy Roberts and Peter Landry) being remarkable in that they actively chose not to spend the lion’s share of their air time talking absolute cobblers about irrelevant nonsense or otherwise engaging in forced banter with other knuckleheads in commentary.

Football in the suburbs. 

Great memories. ☺️
 

As an aside, next week, the 30th to be exact, is the 10 year anniversary of another famous game of ours against Geelong. 

And like George Costanza, I’ll leave on that high note. ?

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Probably not such a strange decision at the time it was made. Firstly, Waverley was expected to become the geographic centre of greater Melbourne. That didn't happen, but not by much as the centre gradually moved eastward to about Ashburton until about 5 years ago and then started to move west again because of the rapid growth in the Werribee and Melton vicinities.

Secondly, the then VFL expected a railway line to go to Waverley (VFL Park), via Monash Uni. The apocryphal story, which may well be true, is that the Premier at the time, Henry Bolte, had to choose whether to send the railway line to Monash and the proposed VFL Park or through Sandown Racecourse to Dandenong. It is claimed that he chose Sandown because he was more of a fan of racing. (It's hard to believe today but back in the 50s and early 60s, racing used to get decent crowds to every Saturday meeting.) 

Edit: I should add that the failure to provide a railway line probably did more to kill VFL Park than anything else. And the "killing" of VFL Park enabled the MCG to grow to become the wonderful stadium it now is. (If only we could go...)

The fact Sir Kenneth Luke owned the land the VFL park was built on, probably helped his decision as head of the VFL as to where the ground should be built!!

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

As an aside, next week, the 30th to be exact, is the 10 year anniversary of another famous game of ours against Geelong. 

What I don’t understand is why this loss is talked about but no one seems to ever mention that other loss, the one at the hands of Fitzroy, 42 years ago (28 July 1979). Is it because that was so much longer ago? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What I don’t understand is why this loss is talked about but no one seems to ever mention that other loss, the one at the hands of Fitzroy, 42 years ago (28 July 1979). Is it because that was so much longer ago? 

I think the politics and backlash were the key reasons why people talk about it more. You could draw an almost straight line to the unraveling of the club to that day and it’s lead up. In 1979, there wasn’t nearly half the backstabbing, power plays or expectations of success as there was in 2011. Everyone basically viewed us as a bloody awful football team, and we proceeded to dawdle along in that vein till Barass became coach in 1981.

Plus I don’t believe it was broadcast at the time (or even included on the replay). If you are a masochist, the highlights of that game are still on YouTube to watch. I’ve never seen it, and I never intend to.

With all that being said, I expect a 186 10th anniversary thread next week, so plenty of time to sink our teeth into it then.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Crossing the border into NSW to go to a club to watch the match live or going to a pub

Used to be to get to the nsw pokies as Victoria was behind(or ahead) of the times.

Top post CB f.

 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Football in the suburbs

Used to love the radio station going around the grounds as they would say....over at Arden st.....back to Victoria park....live at lakeside.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

, the then VFL expected a railway line to go to Waverley (VFL Park), via Monash Uni. The apocryphal story, which may well be true, is that the Premier at the

Tx...that explains a lot. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

It was great  knocking Hawthorn  out  of  the finals in  1990, BUT.... it opened up the finals for  Collingwood to win their first flag since 1958.  Hawthorn were  their nemesis.

So very true.

Hawthorn beat Collingwood twice in 1990 including putting 160 points on the pies in round 20. A lot of Collingwood supporters are adamant that there would have been no 1990 premiership had they copped Hawthorn in the finals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...