Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

413 shots for 205 goals and 208 pionts



Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

That Hunt moment was a bit of a turning point.

Exactly the moment we needed to put the foot down but blew it.

Pretty sure a teammate got angry at him, too, because I recall after his miss they cut to him and he was mouthing back and gesturing as if to say "what was I supposed to do?"

The answer, IIRC, was to slow down and hit one of the players laterally. Unfortunately he took off and wanted to keep moving, and ended up making a bad decision to neither full bore go for goal nor to pass it to Brown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4.6 last night from set shots and one of them came from the Brayshaw 50 metre penalty in the goal square.

BBB who couldn’t miss at North kicked 0.2 from set shots.

The set shot conversion needs to be over 50% as theoretically players should be more composed than kicking on the run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


MFC Goal Accuracy % Rankings - Season 2021 up to and including Round 18

Player SG GAC % 2021 Rank
B Fritsch 56 62.5 1
T Sparrow 7 57.1 2
L Jackson 16 56.3 3
T McDonald 51 54.9 4
M Brown 4 50.0 5
E Langdon 22 50.0 5
J Harmes 11 45.5 7
K Pickett 59 44.1 8
A Neil-Bullen 25 44.0 9
B Brown 14 42.9 10
J Jordan 15 40.0 11
J Hunt 5 40.0 11
C Petracca 49 38.8 13
J Melksham 13 38.5 14
C Spargo 28 35.7 15
T Rivers 3 33.3 16
M Gawn 24 33.3 16
J Viney 6 33.3 16
C Salem 6 33.3 16
S Weideman 10 30.0 20
N Jones 7 28.6 21
C Oliver 22 27.3 22
A Brayshaw 13 15.4 23

SG = Shots at Goal   GAC = Goal Accuracy %

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

4.6 last night from set shots and one of them came from the Brayshaw 50 metre penalty in the goal square.

BBB who couldn’t miss at North kicked 0.2 from set shots.

The set shot conversion needs to be over 50% as theoretically players should be more composed than kicking on the run.

Some random information/data which I think is relevant to this conversation. It's taken from A Matter of Stats (but goes to 2017 - which is a long time ago in football terms).

  • Our style - kicking to pockets, repeat entries - to my mind links into the 3rd point of interest in the Relationship Between Scoring and Winning Rates. 

 

 

502614750_ScreenShot2021-07-18at8_17_36pm.thumb.png.e0d889f363416552d4c1de9359f22675.png

 

 

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.23.24 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.23.03 pm.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, picket fence said:

Hnmm anyone else unhappy with that conversion rate? Here above are the stats. Now can I reference this by saying that goal kicking IS a specialised art, and one that requires not only plenty of practice but a firm set shot routine. Shots on the run are more problematic, but set shots from anywhere in a 45 degree ark from 45 or so out should be absolute "Gimmes". Missing from 35 out almost directly in front is just dreadful goalkicking.  Putting on my Sports Science and Phys Ed teachers hat, quality practice and set shot routines start from Junior footy, but can still be coached at Senior footy providing the technique is kept relatively simple and is Biomechanically correct. I have seen plenty of players practicing at the end of training but that is not what I would call, specific, discrete, open or cloze skill model! Years ago I worked with some A grade Ammos clubs specifically on goal kicking drills and skills to improve set shot routines. I wont go into the method but it worked well enough for me and others as well. I suspect that AFL and other clubs probably dont have the resources to afford a specific goal kicking coach but should as given that it is a professional sport with professional level salaries, players missing easy goals just should be an aberration more than the norm.

Fence - are you volunteering, as a highly qualified “passionate supporter”? 

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Brayshaw’s last qtr miss was the costly one and a reflection of our woes this year.

A player that was supposed to be renowned as an elite set shot for goal, can’t nail a shot from 40 mtrs out on a slight angle. It’s been happening all year from some of our players including Kozzie, Petracca and Gawn. T Macs also been poor at times at the regulation set shot.

Was also annoyed at Brayshaw’s arrogant celebration after he kicked a goal from 1 mtr out from a 50 M penalty, to put us 11 points up, as if the job had already been done.

I can see our conversion holding us back from a genuine tilt this year, unless we can get it right in September.

We need to get it right in July - can’t wait until September. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Fence - are you volunteering, as a highly qualified “passionate supporter”? 

We need to get it right in July - can’t wait until September. 

YEP but club wont even  think it viable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Ever since Goodwin arrived we have had trouble converting i50’s to scores

We need to sort it out before September, we will be shown up under Finals pressure 

Hard to make a comparison really. Obviously not much point going back to Neeld era so it is just the Roos period of any recent relevance. Still, let's look: (per game)

Roos:

2014:  40.5 i50s, for 8.6 goals and 9.0 behinds    

2015:  44.5 i50s, for 10.2 goals and 10.2 behinds

2016:  53.8 i50s, for 13.0 goals and 10.3 behinds

Goodwin:

2017: 54.8 i50s, for 13.7 goals, 10.1 behinds

2018: 59.8 i50s, for 14.8 goals, 12.8 behinds

2019: 54.0 i50s, for 10.1 goals, 10.1 behinds

*2020:  42.5 i50s, for 9.1 goals, 7.8 behinds

2021: 54.0 i50s, for 12.1 goals, 12.2 behinds

Verdict:

It's patchy. 2018 we were simply the best attacking side in the game, 2017 not far off the pace either. Our attack imploded in 2019 and we were kind of mid-range in 2020.

Right now we're doing 'well' for total scoring, but as much as a goal a game behind the top teams for actual goals. So in that sense it is our accuracy that is killing us, not our conversion of inside 50s to goals. But I would speculate we'd look very different if the stat was 'inside 35s' and therein lies the rub.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We seem to enter our forward 50 into the pockets more often than not.

I think we do this to effectively set up down the field to assist our defence, this will normally lead to tougher set shots on angles. I'd be really interested in heat maps between us on the other top 4 teams were our set shots have been taken from. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

MFC Goal Accuracy % Rankings - Season 2021 up to and including Round 18

Player SG GAC % 2021 Rank
B Fritsch 56 62.5 1
T Sparrow 7 57.1 2
L Jackson 16 56.3 3
T McDonald 51 54.9 4
M Brown 4 50.0 5
E Langdon 22 50.0 5
J Harmes 11 45.5 7
K Pickett 59 44.1 8
A Neil-Bullen 25 44.0 9
B Brown 14 42.9 10
J Jordan 15 40.0 11
J Hunt 5 40.0 11
C Petracca 49 38.8 13
J Melksham 13 38.5 14
C Spargo 28 35.7 15
T Rivers 3 33.3 16
M Gawn 24 33.3 16
J Viney 6 33.3 16
C Salem 6 33.3 16
S Weideman 10 30.0 20
N Jones 7 28.6 21
C Oliver 22 27.3 22
A Brayshaw 13 15.4 23

SG = Shots at Goal   GAC = Goal Accuracy %

Interesting data. My main concern is Pickett. Given he has had the most shots at goal (a surprise to me), if we could get him at the T-Mac level of accuracy he would have generated an extra 6 goals; at the Fritsch level, an extra 11 goals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

MFC Goal Accuracy % Rankings - Season 2021 up to and including Round 18

Player SG GAC % 2021 Rank
B Fritsch 56 62.5 1
T Sparrow 7 57.1 2
L Jackson 16 56.3 3
T McDonald 51 54.9 4
M Brown 4 50.0 5
E Langdon 22 50.0 5
J Harmes 11 45.5 7
K Pickett 59 44.1 8
A Neil-Bullen 25 44.0 9
B Brown 14 42.9 10
J Jordan 15 40.0 11
J Hunt 5 40.0 11
C Petracca 49 38.8 13
J Melksham 13 38.5 14
C Spargo 28 35.7 15
T Rivers 3 33.3 16
M Gawn 24 33.3 16
J Viney 6 33.3 16
C Salem 6 33.3 16
S Weideman 10 30.0 20
N Jones 7 28.6 21
C Oliver 22 27.3 22
A Brayshaw 13 15.4 23

SG = Shots at Goal   GAC = Goal Accuracy %

Thanks fir this. I was surprised to see Gus at 15.4%. that is actually pretty disgraceful fr a player of his ability , especially  given one goal he kicked was from 1 mtr out! So,  if my maths is accurate, it means he’s only kicked 1 other goal from his other 12 set shots? that’s crazy bad. 

with Oliver  i pretty much just presume he will kick a point now, but even HE has a better % than Gus. 

My concern is when finals pressure hits we may get even worse. straight kicking makes a huge difference in big games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Thanks fir this. I was surprised to see Gus at 15.4%. that is actually pretty disgraceful fr a player of his ability , especially  given one goal he kicked was from 1 mtr out! So,  if my maths is accurate, it means he’s only kicked 1 other goal from his other 12 set shots? that’s crazy bad. 

with Oliver  i pretty much just presume he will kick a point now, but even HE has a better % than Gus. 

My concern is when finals pressure hits we may get even worse. straight kicking makes a huge difference in big games. 

I'm not expecting miracles but the impression i get from some is that they're just not fussed whether they hit or miss.  Especially Clarry.  I've always said if he can bring reasonable goal kicking returns to his arsenol he'll go down as one of the great MFC players.

Have a feeling this might be for all shots taken not just set shots W11.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Interesting data. My main concern is Pickett. Given he has had the most shots at goal (a surprise to me), if we could get him at the T-Mac level of accuracy he would have generated an extra 6 goals; at the Fritsch level, an extra 11 goals.

It's funny we all see things diff LDC.

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised at Kozzie's % given he's only into his second year.

It's some of the other more senior fellows that are stinking it up that, for me, are more of a concern.  Melk, Viney, Clarry, Gawny and Gus the main offenders.  Not that we rely on Gus just that his % is bottom of the barrel stuff... at 33% or so i might get it.  Gawn's % also pretty much fits the bill but would have hoped he might have improved a little here and at least be hitting at around 40% or thereabouts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the ANB interview on the club website......forget the interview.....in the background is Greg Stafford working with Kossie on his goal kicking, much more interesting:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/983044/off-the-track-alex-neal-bullen?videoId=983044&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1626676252001

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

This is the ANB interview on the club website......forget the interview.....in the background is Greg Stafford working with Kossie on his goal kicking, much more interesting:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/983044/off-the-track-alex-neal-bullen?videoId=983044&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1626676252001

 

I noticed this as well George. This was on Monday and 2 things stood out for me. The first was there was less bounce in Kozi's step and trying to get him to run in a straight line. The bouncy run appears to affect his ball drop and Stafford can be seen showing how the ball drop should guide the ball to his foot. It also looked like they are working on a set shot routine, with a set number of steps, more of a run than a bounce and a straight ball drop.

Heres hoping it works on the weekend 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 4:38 PM, Rusty Nails said:

I'm not expecting miracles but the impression i get from some is that they're just not fussed whether they hit or miss.  Especially Clarry.  I've always said if he can bring reasonable goal kicking returns to his arsenol he'll go down as one of the great MFC players.

Have a feeling this might be for all shots taken not just set shots W11.

I could not believe Clarry’s attitude when Spargo “took” his mark, he genuinely looked like a toddler who’d had his favourite toy taken away. And yet if I think if anyone had a choice between the two they’d go with Spargo every day of the week. Clarry’s set shots are disgraceful for a player of his ability. 

Brayshaw in the past has actually been really steady as a set shot player so I wonder what’s changed. Is it the higher aerobic expectations from playing wing taking its toll? It’s not an excuse by the way, we need players to be able to nail clutch goals and I honestly don’t know if we have any. I mean BB misses from a set shot he nailed at north every bloody day of the week!

We got away with our poor conversation rate early in the season, we’ve now seen it cost us wins against Adelaide, GWS, and the Hawks. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Pates said:

I could not believe Clarry’s attitude when Spargo “took” his mark, he genuinely looked like a toddler who’d had his favourite toy taken away. And yet if I think if anyone had a choice between the two they’d go with Spargo every day of the week. Clarry’s set shots are disgraceful for a player of his ability. 

Brayshaw in the past has actually been really steady as a set shot player so I wonder what’s changed. Is it the higher aerobic expectations from playing wing taking its toll? It’s not an excuse by the way, we need players to be able to nail clutch goals and I honestly don’t know if we have any. I mean BB misses from a set shot he nailed at north every bloody day of the week!

We got away with our poor conversation rate early in the season, we’ve now seen it cost us wins against Adelaide, GWS, and the Hawks. 

And the worst part is Gus was devastated after the game and looking perplexed at what went wrong.  Well mate all you need to do is look at the set shot kicking, especially your own, and that will explain much of it.

Yes Pate I've already commented on the Clarry incident.  And this is another worry.  Ever since Macca failed to handball to a screaming free Tracc just outside the square and instead swung around on his right to kick it himself while being tackled (about 4/5 matches ago) the selfless sharing stuff we saw earlier in the season when we were beating all and sundry has slowly ebbed away to virtually zero.

Combine the two and it's resulted in a chipping away at unity, cohesion, then belief and ultimately form.

If Goody, the FD, Gawny and other leaders aren't aware of this, and on to it by now, we are in deep doggy doo. 

I'm also not that impressed with the re-entry of Viney so far.  For whatever reason, his body language since the return appears to me as an observer, rightly or wrongly, to be bloody awful.

Also, we need to decide do we want a plodding / straight ahead mid field to continue with the likes of Viney and AVB both in or do we bring in Melk for AVB to attempt to connect more out of the middle with forwards like Macca, BB and Fritta.

And do ANB and Viney hold their spots once (IF) Harmes gets back?  Could we bring Harmes in for Viney/ANB if one doesn't hit form (ANB a fair way off lately) and play Harmes in a wing / mid field role with Gus and bring Gus into the middle (say 50%ish) for some decent outside use and connection with the extractors in Tracc & Clarry?  Probably very unlikely at this late stage but just a thought.

The other very slim chance but worth a look is bringing in Baker for Gus for a few weeks and just see what that gives us on the non-Lingers wing.  I understand Baker probably doesn't have the defensive read and intercept capabilities of Gus but what he lacks there he might make up for with a speedier transition into the F50 to give better looks for our key and medium forwards.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Yes Pate I've already commented on the Clarry incident.  And this is another worry.  Ever since Macca failed to handball to a screaming free Tracc just outside the square and instead swung around on his right to kick it himself while being tackled (about 4/5 matches ago) the selfless sharing stuff we saw earlier in the season when we were beating all and sundry has slowly ebbed away to virtually zero.

 

Not sure about this. It seems that every week I see players overdoing the selfless bit and instead of taking a shot at goal themselves when in a good position to do so they attempt a pass off to another player who might be in a better position but we lose the ball in the process. Similarly, we often see one of the midfielders get first possession and instead of kicking forward when able to do so, handpass to another player who is not necessarily in a better position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got away with our poor conversation rate early in the season, we’ve now seen it cost us wins against Adelaide, GWS, and the Hawks. 

 

In the current era, average conversion rates are around 51.4% on 22.3 scoring shots per match — that is, teams have scored an average of 11.6 goals per match. For the purposes of this article goal accuracy or conversion rates is defined as Conversion Rate = Goals / (Goals + Behinds).

In 2021, we are averaging  1.5% less than  the competition norm. Our opponents are 3% above the expected norm.

Here is a break down of our percentage conversions per game, against opponents (losses/draw in red) vs their conversion, as well as a difference between the teams on the day, as well as a % difference from the norm (for our opponents)

1544828319_ScreenShot2021-07-21at10_29_18am.png.8a786ebc0cc91717e3d320c6ae9e3ec6.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Not sure about this. It seems that every week I see players overdoing the selfless bit and instead of taking a shot at goal themselves when in a good position to do so they attempt a pass off to another player who might be in a better position but we lose the ball in the process. Similarly, we often see one of the midfielders get first possession and instead of kicking forward when able to do so, handpass to another player who is not necessarily in a better position.

Personally i believe those issues are a part of the drop off in cohesion and confidence (especially in kicking skills ....ability to hit up a target).  A drop off in confidence also resulting in player's willingness to take the game/opponenent on and instead pass off responsibility asap to someone else LDC.

This is where you occasionally need an injection of younger talent being brought into the mix as they tend to have no fear or very little vs some of the more experienced boys.  They also come in a little fresher and can bring an energy and attack on the ball (run and carry also) into the group that might be lacking otherwise.  They of course can also bring with them inexperience and lack of a match day tank which may impact the team in other ways, especially late into a match when fatigue sets in.

I see much of this aspect happening with the likes of Sydney and the Sons at the moment.  They are getting great drive from their rookies.  Look at the Hawks last week.  10 rookies that had played only 35 games or less.  About three or so had only played 3 to 5 matches (if the coverage commentators are to be believed).

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Personally i believe those issues are a part of the drop off in cohesion and confidence (especially in kicking skills ....ability to hit up a target).  A drop off in confidence also resulting in player's willingness to take the game/opponenent on and instead pass off responsibility asap to someone else LDC.

This is where you occasionally need an injection of younger talent being brought into the mix as they tend to have no fear or very little vs some of the more experienced boys.  They also come in a little fresher and can bring an energy and attack on the ball (run and carry also) into the group that might be lacking otherwise.  They of course can also bring with them inexperience and lack of a match day tank which may impact the team in other ways, especially late into a match when fatigue sets in.

I see much of this aspect happening with the likes of Sydney and the Sons at the moment.  They are getting great drive from their rookies.  Look at the Hawks last week.  10 rookies that had played only 35 games or less.  About three or so had only played 3 to 5 matches (if the coverage commentators are to be believed).

"Sydney and the Sons" - sounds like the name of a R&B band.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice with too many set shots that players use up all their time, fiddle with the ball, over angst and grimace, eyes darting left right and centre and over think the situation. Why not just go back and move forward straight away to kick the goal? Look at old footage, players rarely wasted too much time in lining up for goal unless in a tight part of the ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

I notice with too many set shots that players use up all their time, fiddle with the ball, over angst and grimace, eyes darting left right and centre and over think the situation. Why not just go back and move forward straight away to kick the goal? Look at old footage, players rarely wasted too much time in lining up for goal unless in a tight part of the ground. 

Absolutely spot on assessment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...