• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

CHANGES: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs

In - Melksham,

Out - VDB,

Need some class ball use from 70 going inside 50. Too often we hit our forwards on the boundary where as Melksham can thread the needle and hit up someone directly in front of goal. Plus he’s a nice set shot at goal.

Would also like Harmes back in the side and perhaps look at dropping ANB or Jackson.

• Like 2

Viney out, Sparrow (or Harmes) in. I so tired of seeing Viney getting caught because he thinks he has some evasive skills, also tired of seeing him continually find the opposition with his passes, or handballing to players knees....

While we're at it,  bring in someone that can work out how to get Max tapping to our players for a breakaway centre clearance, instead of the opposition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

We need to have a serious conversation about Jack Viney. His skills are just not good enough. He butchered every disposal tonight. I love his hardness and attack on the ball but Vanders can do that.

Vanders was poor at both tonight. I'd take Viney over Vanders every day of the week and that's saying something. Vanders isn't a footballer. He's a good trier, but his skills are no better than Jack's, but he doesn't get it enough.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Out: VDB

In: Harmes

Rivers is looking like he needs a rest so I wouldn't be opposed to him going out for Bowey.

Lockhart way before Bowey.  Can't see it though.  Rivers was pretty ordinary tonight.  Wasn't alone however.

Played as individuals instead of a committed team.

We are back to losing the matches we're going in to as big favourites.  Back to type?? (2020 and prior).

It's all about match hardness and preparation (on track / off track as well as above the shoulders).

The Hawks had nothing to play for tonight.  They just wanted it more, and got more numbers to the drop of the ball, in support and on the outer layer.  They worked hard with and without the ball.

As for us, each week some of our blokes are picking and choosing when they're  going to turn up.  Three of the biggest offenders of late are Tracc, Clarry and Lingers.  Tracc defensively went missing for most of the match against GWS.  Then turns up for the Port game.  Then plays ok against the 2nd worst team in the comp.

We played like a bunch of individual selfish amateurs.  Aside from about 5 to 8 minutes in the first quarter where, as an outsider looking in knowing nothing about ladder position, there wasnt any other part of the match where you would say we were clearly the better team and had gone into the match as odds on favs.

We made the Hawks look like winners and they're one of the worst going around at present.  Same thing happened against the Roos.   We might be the Demons in name but mentally we've been  shown up as pretty flakey when the heat is turned up, even by relatively ordinary or bog ordinary opposition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

We need to have a serious conversation about Jack Viney. His skills are just not good enough. He butchered every disposal tonight. I love his hardness and attack on the ball but Vanders can do that.

If his name wasn’t Viney, he would be everyone’s whipping boy. He is starting to become the whipping boy around here. His kicks inside 50 are appalling and he has slowed to the point of being considered a plodder. He constantly gets caught holding the ball.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Midfield needs a shake up plus injection of pace.

In Harmes for Viney omitted

In Sparrow for Jordon rested

In Baker for Vandenberg omitted

Move Salem in midfield for Brayshaw  omitted

In Bowey to cover Salem down back

In Weideman for Jackson rested

In Melksham for Neal-Bullen omitted

Mcdonald to play High HF/wing

Use Rivers through the midfield as well

Edited by Abyssal
  • Facepalm 2

8 hours ago, SPC said:

Need to move Salem or Rivers to the midfield. 

I would not be against moving Salem into midfield, bringing in Bowey for Viney and putting Bowey in Salems spot. Wont happen though.

• Like 1

I’d be giving Jacko a few weeks off to freshen up. He could win us a final off his own back if he’s on song, so give him a breather and reset for the last 4 weeks.

Would have a look at the mix in the middle too, I’m not sure if I imagine it, but Viney changes the dynamic in such a negative way when he is in the side. He seems to block any avenues Trac and a Oliver have out of a stoppage and when he gets the ball himself, it’s diabolical. 
He is so one-dimensional that you can see the body language change very quickly, not in a positive way. He upsets the balance immensely.

I think we are being exposed for a lack of depth still, Kossie, Riv and Jacko should not all be playing every week just yet. there’s just no one to replace them with

• Love 1

B: HIBBERD, MAY, LEVER

HB: BOWEY, PETTY, SALEM

C: LANGDON, PETRACCA, BRAYSHAW

HF: MELKSHAM, NEAL-BULLEN, PICKETT

F;: SPARGO, MCDONALD, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES, HUNT, JORDON, SPARROW

SUB: BAKER

IN: BOWEY, MELKSHAM, SPARROW, HARMES

OUT: B.BROWN, JACKSON, RIVERS, VANDENBERG

Rivers form has been shocking so give Bowey a go not Lockhart he turns the ball over too much.

It will be slippery at Darwin play to the conditions and go small dropping Jackson and Brown.

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It’s probably not the right thing to do but I’m still angry and want some statement changes.

6 hours ago, Abyssal said:

Midfield needs a shake up plus injection of pace.

In Harmes for Viney omitted

In Sparrow for Jordon rested

In Baker for Vandenberg omitted

Move Salem in midfield for Brayshaw  omitted

In Bowey to cover Salem down back

In Weideman for Jackson rested

In Melksham for Neal-Bullen omitted

Mcdonald to play High HF/wing

Use Rivers through the midfield as well

We looked tired

I've been thinking for a while, how do we utilise depth to rest some and prep for finals

I think it's time for "managing" a few

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It’s probably not the right thing to do but I’m still angry and want some statement changes.

I agree.

We've pretty much had the same side all year with a few tinkering here and there.

I think it's time for Rivers and Jackson to have a spell. Jackson is giving us nothing up forward and even around the ground he's been limited.

I'd like to see Jake Bowey get rewarded for his consistent form down back. Coming in at the expense of Rivers.

Do we look at Weideman/Daw for Jackson or do we go the smaller option in Melksham?

Out Jackson, ANB, AVB

In Melksham, Bedford, Bowey 

I think we are 1 tall to heavy up forward for Darwin, Tmac to be back up ruck.  Need to change our small forward mix and bring in players who can kick, Melksham and Bowey are both good kicks.  It might even be put Rivers as Sub and bring on Sparrow for balance

9 hours ago, deegirl said:

You can’t have three blokes getting no touches in the forward line. 

Spargo - smart enough to hit a target

Pickett - dangerous enough to cause damage 

ANB - useless

Based on this in-depth analysis, ANB goes

ANB had 27 pressure acts, more than Pickett and Spargo combined. Do you want the guy who runs himself dog tired and fluffs the execution or the guys who look fresh as a daisy for the small moments they get it but have not run themselves into the ground? None will go but it is short sighted to go ANB whose primary role is defensive pressure. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, A F said:

Vanders was poor at both tonight. I'd take Viney over Vanders every day of the week and that's saying something. Vanders isn't a footballer. He's a good trier, but his skills are no better than Jack's, but he doesn't get it enough.

I thought Vanders played well in the first half. He did slow in second but he was not our worst performer of the night. I admit i did have low expectations of him coming into the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

ANB had 27 pressure acts, more than Pickett and Spargo combined. Do you want the guy who runs himself dog tired and fluffs the execution or the guys who look fresh as a daisy for the small moments they get it but have not run themselves into the ground? None will go but it is short sighted to go ANB whose primary role is defensive pressure. 

Appreciate the ground he covers and that pressure acts are highly regarded, but I’d much rather a Zac Bailey type HFF who can be damaging from 15 disposals.

I said last week that I think Bedford should be given a chance in ANB’s spot. He might not win much of the footy, but he’d create more opportunity than ANB with skill or evasiveness and he’s just as fit. 

Edited by BW511
  • Like 1

We seem to be preferencing continuity, hardness and role over warranted changes. Based on that  I don’t expect this to happen but we need to balance the hardness with some speed and polish. We are starting to play half a man down with Jackson as he tires. Rivers also looks like a spell may be warranted. This is the week to do it in the NT. 

Out Jackson, Viney (but it will be Vanders), Rivers

In: Melksham, Declase, Bowey

6 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Appreciate the ground he covers and that pressure acts are highly regarded, but I’d much rather a Zac Bailey type HFF who can be damaging from 15 disposals.

I said last week that I think Bedford should be given a chance in ANB’s spot. He might not win much of the footy, but he’d create more opportunity than ANB with skill or evasiveness and he’s just as fit. 

Who wouldn’t prefer Zac Bailey but that’s not Bedford. I am a Bedford fan as he has serious speed and endurance but is inconsistent in game and  have lesser execution than ANB.   

37 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

We looked tired

I've been thinking for a while, how do we utilise depth to rest some and prep for finals

I think it's time for "managing" a few

The side is clearly stale - a product of the luxury of having no injuries. People keep saying we have a lot of depth - but imagine our side with Hawthorn's injuries.  There's isn't a lot of skill and dash in our reserves. But to do nothing would be dangerous. I'd like to see Bowey get a run - on a wing. Melksham is a better player than AN-B, and should come in. A bit hard on A N-B, maybe, but he doesn't do enough and makes too many skill errors. Perhaps Jackson could have a week off. For SW? Harmes will come back in, if recovered.

• Like 1

After such a bad performance where every player was well down it's hard to know where to start.

I think we should bring in Melks. We need his poise and delivery. Tbh after that i think we're just re-arranging the deck chairs

Coaching team to deliver some home truths this week. An attitude adjustment is the biggest change required

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to CHANGES: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs