Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

CHANGES: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs



Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

This is crucial to whether BB in eventually clicks for us IMO.  Keep BB mostly deep?  Macca roaming higher but playing a fair % of time at CHF for structure especially holding that CHF position whenever 666 is in play.

Then there's Dogga.  Do we use him as the decoy out wide to the non-Fritta flank or does he just ruck for when Gawn is on the bench and at other times he is also covering for BB and Macca when rested?  I tend to prefer this latter option while he is a rookie in order to keep him as fresh as possible off the bench while he continues to build a tank and muscle over the next few seasons.  And his marking ability/confidence.

Great post especially re Jackson. Imho I have noticed he has been too far up the ground even when not rucking. We have been a fwd down . And he needs to stop going for marks against our other talls as hes not the strongest pair of hands just yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Smokey said:

I know it’s way too early to think about dropping Brown, but he’s on notice for mine. Yes, doing some good things, but if he doesn’t start clunking a few and kicking true I will start to question his spot in the team again

Brown's key responsibility in the side (IMO) is to nail his set shots.

He's made a living off his accuracy (67% career conversion) which is so much better than any of our other forwards.

But on Saturday night he kicked 0.2 from gettable set shots and didn't do a great deal to be honest.

We all thought Brown's inclusion was key to T Mac taking his game to another level, but the ordinary T Mac returned on the weekend with just 3 marks and a goal.

Brown should be given 2 or 3 matches for sure, but if the Hawthorn game is his stock standard 2021 performance, than it's pretty underwhelming.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Ezra Poyas was the last one I remember. 

Ezra Poyas is not of Polish descent. He is of Israeli Jewish extraction. ??

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I am also really looking forward to BBB kicking 3-4 goals in a game just to show that he is still up to it. I like the structure that he brings to our forward 50 but he Tmac and LJ need to maintain some separation . We want multiple choices not all jumping at the same ball.

Go DEES…!!!!

I'm torn on this. I don't mind the multiple talls jumping for the same ball. Obviously not spoiling each other ideally, but as strange as that sounds, it makes our ball movement even more predictable for our smalls. Ideally we get it 1v1 on a lead, but if not, it's not the worst result IMO.

I think it's only a matter of time before BBB gets on the end of 3 or 4. I hope it's this week!

If the Bulldogs still fail to get through us that bodes well for finals. I have a feeling we'll be playing Bulldogs the first week. 

Edited by A F
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Brown's key responsibility in the side (IMO) is to nail his set shots.

He's made a living off his accuracy (67% career conversion) which is so much better than any of our other forwards.

But on Saturday night he kicked 0.2 from gettable set shots and didn't do a great deal to be honest.

We all thought Brown's inclusion was key to T Mac taking his game to another level, but the ordinary T Mac returned on the weekend with just 3 marks and a goal.

Brown should be given 2 or 3 matches for sure, but if the Hawthorn game is his stock standard 2021 performance, than it's pretty underwhelming.

Brown's key responsibility is to be a good forward. That might mean kicking goals one week, but if he's not kicking goals he needs to be leading, making contests, being a threat, etc., to help release pressure on TMac/Fritsch and to bring our smalls into play.

Given how we played vs Essendon and GWS, I remain of the view that we can't go into games with just TMac as the tall, and Fritsch/Jackson as support. We need, IMO, a second tall.

Our options really are Brown or Weideman.

Brown's now had five games, the same as Weideman, and his stats are now almost universally better than Weideman's for the season. Weideman averages more tackles per game and more defensive half pressure acts, but Brown otherwise is doing more: he gets more disposals, has more kicks, generates more inside 50s, has a higher disposal efficiency, gets the ball at ground level more (ground ball gets), takes more marks (contested and uncontested), kicks double the goals, and has more shots on goal per game.

So in my view, we have two options, and the one currently in the side is outperforming the other one, and we need one of them in the side, so there shouldn't be any debate right now about Brown holding his spot, not unless/until his performances are inferior to what we'd expect from Weideman.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Great post especially re Jackson. Imho I have noticed he has been too far up the ground even when not rucking. We have been a fwd down . And he needs to stop going for marks against our other talls as hes not the strongest pair of hands just yet.

They all tend to go up and clump together in the LH forward pocket (when looking at the goals from the center) and attempt to mark the same ball Deever.  They do it as wrote as that's where we tend to kick it to most of the time.  The opp does the same no doubt also under instruction and you end up with 5/6 players or more all attacking the same drop.  We are too easy to defend when we don't mix things up a little more looking for other leads/targets up the guts or on the opposite fat side.

This is all fine if the opp is missing a fair number of chances on the rebound but if they convert accurately (a la the Hawks on Sat night) even lowly to average teams are capable of beating us as we've witnessed on a number of occasions.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Brown's key responsibility in the side (IMO) is to nail his set shots.

He's made a living off his accuracy (67% career conversion) which is so much better than any of our other forwards.

But on Saturday night he kicked 0.2 from gettable set shots and didn't do a great deal to be honest.

We all thought Brown's inclusion was key to T Mac taking his game to another level, but the ordinary T Mac returned on the weekend with just 3 marks and a goal.

Brown should be given 2 or 3 matches for sure, but if the Hawthorn game is his stock standard 2021 performance, than it's pretty underwhelming.

Give me a confidence boosting Brown over a Weeds anyday

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Harmes is doubtful.

 

Keep Bulldogs guessing mate. ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, A F said:

Keep Bulldogs guessing mate. ?

Keeping us all guessing - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BW511 said:

We are an infinitely better side with Brown in, there is no way he goes out.

Of the players on notice, I think he'd be well behind a few others.

Why isn't Brown on notice in your view? 

He is a key forward who should be taking marks and kicking set shots. He hasn't done either really. 

Saying we are infinitely better with Brown feels like a huge exaggeration. We were 6-0 before he even got his first game, and during this period we started Richmond on their downward spiral with a big win and accounted for Geelong comfortably. Brown then failed to fire in games against North, Sydney (who weren't red hot at this stage of the season) and Carlton. Since then, he failed to kick a score vs Port and got a lucky one vs Hawthorn. 

I like the balance he brings to the team, no question. He draws a good defender or two every time, I get that. But in the end of the day, if he can't clunk the odd contested mark and kick his set shots then he isn't as valuable as people make him out to be. Based on that I don't see any problem with the view that he should be on notice over the next few weeks. 

Kick some bloody goals, Ben ... 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Why isn't Brown on notice in your view? 

He is a key forward who should be taking marks and kicking set shots. He hasn't done either really. 

Saying we are infinitely better with Brown feels like a huge exaggeration. We were 6-0 before he even got his first game, and during this period we started Richmond on their downward spiral with a big win and accounted for Geelong comfortably. Brown then failed to fire in games against North, Sydney (who weren't red hot at this stage of the season) and Carlton. Since then, he failed to kick a score vs Port and got a lucky one vs Hawthorn. 

I like the balance he brings to the team, no question. He draws a good defender or two every time, I get that. But in the end of the day, if he can't clunk the odd contested mark and kick his set shots then he isn't as valuable as people make him out to be. Based on that I don't see any problem with the view that he should be on notice over the next few weeks. 

Kick some bloody goals, Ben ... 

 

I hear you, but the whole team is well down. Don't care that we beat Port, our last 6 weeks have been ordinary at best.

Brown needs a 4-5 week stretch of games, if he isn't producing, we can worry then. I believe he is incredibly valuable for exactly the reasons you listed above. He draws a good defender away from T-Mac or Fritta, he makes teams nervous with his height and as the weather improves towards finals, the marks will come. 

A firing big forward would be the icing on the cake for us, so we need to give him a chance to be that. Heading into finals, he is more critical to our structure than ANB, Kossie, Melksham or Fritsch will ever be. You can't just make a bloke taller

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I hear you, but the whole team is well down. Don't care that we beat Port, our last 6 weeks have been ordinary at best.

Brown needs a 4-5 week stretch of games, if he isn't producing, we can worry then. I believe he is incredibly valuable for exactly the reasons you listed above. He draws a good defender away from T-Mac or Fritta, he makes teams nervous with his height and as the weather improves towards finals, the marks will come. 

A firing big forward would be the icing on the cake for us, so we need to give him a chance to be that. Heading into finals, he is more critical to our structure than ANB, Kossie, Melksham or Fritsch will ever be. You can't just make a bloke taller

 

 

I get what you're saying re Brown. Give him a few more weeks to find some continuity with the team. Hopefully some consistency can be found in how we deliver the ball to him.

But not sure if I would go as far as to say he's more critical to our structure then ANB, Kossie and Fritta will ever be. Apart from kicking 72 goals between them they are crucial to our forward line structure especially defensively which is how we have generated most of our scoring this season. Definitely need to see more from Brown to warrant a spot come finals. Some signs starting to show the last few weeks that might come to fruition. Fingers crossed!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, Yung Blood said:

I get what you're saying re Brown. Give him a few more weeks to find some continuity with the team. Hopefully some consistency can be found in how we deliver the ball to him.

But not sure if I would go as far as to say he's more critical to our structure then ANB, Kossie and Fritta will ever be. Apart from kicking 72 goals between them they are crucial to our forward line structure especially defensively which is how we have generated most of our scoring this season. Definitely need to see more from Brown to warrant a spot come finals. Some signs starting to show the last few weeks that might come to fruition. Fingers crossed!

Brown is a lock for the rest of the year. 

we need a key forward to play that role, and Weid has proven beyond all doubt that he can’t be trusted for this year at least. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, leave it to deever said:

wrong thread

'Wrong thread'? Are you talking about Goodwin again?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

The weather forecast says no.

That’s a detailed forecast! 

‘There’s a high pressure system that will bring some rain, keep Ben Brown from kicking a goal, and ruin the marriage of one of my neighbours. 

Find out which one after the break’

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...