• Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

• Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

Ladder Watch

CHF

48 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Can't see us finishing top 2 now, unless by some miracle of miracles we beat Geelong in round 23.

Dogs and Cats unlikely to lose anymore, so we must keep winning to secure a top 4 spot and a double chance and home finals. 

Port and Sydney are by far our biggest competition. Port will likely lose to the Dogs and the showdown is always a 50/50 proposition, however I can't see how Sydney lose from here. 3 of the worst opponents you are likely to meet coming right up! 

Why would beating Geelong in rnd 23 be a "miracle of miracles"?

13 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Why would beating Geelong in rnd 23 be a "miracle of miracles"?

Because Geelong in Geelong is probably the hardest proposition in season 2021. They are very hard to beat down there and our record at that ground is abysmal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Because Geelong in Geelong is probably the hardest proposition in season 2021. They are very hard to beat down there and our record at that ground is abysmal.

It is only two or three years ago that we came within a whisker of beating them, beaten by a mark which was paid and a goal after the siren, when there was a clear blocking free kick to Oscar McDonald not paid.

I think we should have no fear of Geelong. May is good enough to beat Hawkins and owes him one. Hibbo is good enough to beat Jeremy Cameron. And our mids are better than theirs.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:25 AM, Kent said:

I did a few predictors and if we continue losing and Sydney continue winning we will finish sixth and play West Coast in Perth 

I really hope our bad run is over for the sake of my sanity

Wrong If we finish 6th we play 7th at home (ie Victoria) 

You are bringing yourself insane by wrong details. Cool a bit!! 

• Like 1

I think Geelong are rightful favourites for the flag.  They would have won last year but for Dusty and I think they are improved this year with Cameron, Smith and Higgins.  They value contested football which wins big finals and they have vast finals experience.  They have a nice run of 3 games at Kardinia Park into the finals, but I think this is also a bit of an Achilles' Heel because football is different there from at the MCG and so I expect them to campaign extremely hard for a final down there.

I think the Dogs are rightful 2nd favourites simply off the back of their unparalleled midfield depth of class - I can't recall a team that bats deeper.  They also have the current best player and a match winner in Bont.

This week is likely crunchtime for us in Perth.  Win there and we can win the flag this year, lose and it will be all uphill.  The Eagles will be stung and I think they historically don't rate us so will come out confident of redemption.

I fancy the Swans are the other team with credentials.  I just can't see Port winning 2 big finals away from Adelaide.

• Like 4

Some random thoughts should we unfortunately lose this week to West Coast but beat Adelaide in round 22.

1) Geelong will have top 2 sown up by the time we play them as we assume they'll beat GWS and St Kilda at home. We will have top 4 on the line while Geelong won't have anything to gain as they'll have top 2 sown up. I wonder if that might change Geelong's mindset and they hold a couple of things back, thus giving us a better chance of winning.

2) If we finish 5th and go 1-2 for the rest of the year, keep an eye on the battle for 3rd and 4th between Port and Sydney. I hope Port finish 3rd and Sydney finish 4th. We could potentially play Sydney in a semi final as the away team but play the final in VIC if COVID is still rife by mid September in Sydney. Much rather that than Port finishing 4th and having to play them over in Adelaide in a semi.

Of course if we win this week, none of the above should matter provided we also do our job against a very poor Adelaide. We will finish top 4 and the destiny is in our own hands.

• Shocked 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, Jaded said:

Sure is the hardest proposition.

However they always seem to drop 1 game a year down there (eg - losing to Carlton last year), so you never know.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, Jaded said:

Sure, Geelong down there is tough, but we are one of the best teams in the comp. I reckon we are a red hot chance.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, Ollie fan said:

It is only two or three years ago that we came within a whisker of beating them, beaten by a mark which was paid and a goal after the siren, when there was a clear blocking free kick to Oscar McDonald not paid.

I think we should have no fear of Geelong. May is good enough to beat Hawkins and owes him one. Hibbo is good enough to beat Jeremy Cameron. And our mids are better than theirs.

Do you watch much footy?

Why on God earth's name would you put Hibbo on Cameron? Cameron would kick a bag on Hibberd. 

Not only that Hibberd is 186cm in height compared to Jeremy Cameron who is 195cm tall.

Match up would just be plain silly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

I think Geelong are rightful favourites for the flag.  They would have won last year but for Dusty and I think they are improved this year with Cameron, Smith and Higgins.  They value contested football which wins big finals and they have vast finals experience.  They have a nice run of 3 games at Kardinia Park into the finals, but I think this is also a bit of an Achilles' Heel because football is different there from at the MCG and so I expect them to campaign extremely hard for a final down there.

I think the Dogs are rightful 2nd favourites simply off the back of their unparalleled midfield depth of class - I can't recall a team that bats deeper.  They also have the current best player and a match winner in Bont.

This week is likely crunchtime for us in Perth.  Win there and we can win the flag this year, lose and it will be all uphill.  The Eagles will be stung and I think they historically don't rate us so will come out confident of redemption.

I fancy the Swans are the other team with credentials.  I just can't see Port winning 2 big finals away from Adelaide.

Still have Mitch Duncan and Jeremy Cameron to come back into the side too..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Still have Mitch Duncan and Jeremy Cameron to come back into the side too..

And Henderson, Atkins and O'Connor too, I think.

I agree they're the best side in it, but I also don't think they're so far off us that we're no chance in Round 23 or in the finals.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I agree they're the best side in it, but I also don't think they're so far off us that we're no chance in Round 23 or in the finals.

I love the mixture of positives and double double negatives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

They are the best side in it - at gmhba.

Beatable by others incl Dees at the G.

• Like 1

What's he thinking?...

Goodwin in the 'Art of Coaching'(!) video, talking about getting opportunities: "You've got to finish top four...pause...top five" and shortly after talks about admiration for Longmire, the Swans and their quickly progressing youth.

But I'm in the '2-and-1-and-possibly-3-and-0' camp, so that's just a curiosity.

I hope.

• Like 1