Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

NON MFC: Rd 17 2021



Recommended Posts

What a great Rd of footy.

The Eagles, Richmond & GWS all putting in good auditions to become the new Melbourne, by throwing away very winnable games to lowly ranked sides on the cusp of finals, when a just getting the job done would lock them into the top 8 - I love it.  Think I'd most like the Eagles to take our mantle in this respects. 

Although they might return to type and rekindle their 9thmond amorphous, I'm sure it doesn't have quite the same bite when your teams comming off 3 flags in 4 years.  Similar could be said for the Eagles I guess, but I think it would hurt their arrogant sense of entitlement and superiority more, so suffer in your jocks Methcoast. 

Even if the ultimately make finals this year, WC will be just making up the numbers.  Like Hawthorn, it would be great to see them welcome in an extended era of rebuilding, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen that way with the Eagles and like a stinky old [censored] they'll somehow be bobbing up around the top in another few years.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Geez, just saw the highlights of the game last night on kayo. What a great win for the roos. Could've easily folded after the coasters hit the front early in the last quarter. I hope Maxy is still playing as well as Goldie at that age. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

What a great Rd of footy.

The Eagles, Richmond & GWS all putting in good auditions to become the new Melbourne, by throwing away very winnable games to lowly ranked sides on the cusp of finals, when a just getting the job done would lock them into the top 8 - I love it.  Think I'd most like the Eagles to take our mantle in this respects. 

Although they might return to type and rekindle their 9thmond amorphous, I'm sure it doesn't have quite the same bite when your teams comming off 3 flags in 4 years.  Similar could be said for the Eagles I guess, but I think it would hurt their arrogant sense of entitlement and superiority more, so suffer in your jocks Methcoast. 

Even if the ultimately make finals this year, WC will be just making up the numbers.  Like Hawthorn, it would be great to see them welcome in an extended era of rebuilding, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen that way with the Eagles and like a stinky old [censored] they'll somehow be bobbing up around the top in another few years.

Current ladder has spots 4 to 8 ( 5 teams) all interstate , with Vic teams 1 to 3.  What a great outcome so far.

No interstate Prelims in all probability if this keeps up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Has something happened behind the scenes at the Eagles that will come to the surface in coming weeks….

 

WC were very poorly disciplined during the game. WC players were arguing amongst each other. Gave away stupid free kicks. Something is NQR there. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

Last night was a bad result, now the Hawks have something to play for. 

Our problem is we take so-called soft opposition for granted. If we lose to them it’s our fault. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Current ladder has spots 4 to 8 ( 5 teams) all interstate , with Vic teams 1 to 3.  What a great outcome so far.

No interstate Prelims in all probability if this keeps up.

And of the 3 Vic sides, we are the only team that plays at the MCG regularly.

Geelong has played there 4 times this year, with just one more game against the Tigers to go. 

Dogs have only played there twice, with one loss to Richmond and have just one more game there against us to go.

If we can stay injury free and Covid can get off our [censored], we are a chance.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, M_9 said:

They do have some good young talent, but 5 of their best 6 (Ziebell, Cunnington, Tarrant, Goldy, Atley) are all on the wrong side of 30.

Not unlike the Cats. A look at their best 6 every week and it's the same (old) names.

North's 22 last night was on average ever so slightly older and more experienced than ours was on Thursday night.

25 years and 2 months, and 99.3 games, compared to 25 years and 1 month, and 98.0 games.

Mind you, West Coast's was 27 years 5 months and 138.1 games. Super old.

Indeed, it looks to me as though we were in the top 5 for youngest sides - Essendon, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Fremantle were the only sides younger than ours this weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

West Coast are in a world of hurt, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks start tanking now! they're really keen on young Horne 

Have you seen the tackle video of him from the weekend on Fogarty? I’d be tanking too..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

Have you seen the tackle video of him from the weekend on Fogarty? I’d be tanking too..

 

No i hadn't but totally get it, if you watch him play his evasiveness and sidestep are elite, reminds me a lot of Petracca. 

Daicos and Darcy must be super human if they're considered better than this kid. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

No i hadn't but totally get it, if you watch him play his evasiveness and sidestep are elite, reminds me a lot of Petracca. 

Daicos and Darcy must be super human if they're considered better than this kid. 

north have all but confirmed that, if they do finish last (which is not entirely guaranteed now), they will be bidding on the two father-sons

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

And of the 3 Vic sides, we are the only team that plays at the MCG regularly.

Geelong has played there 4 times this year, with just one more game against the Tigers to go. 

Dogs have only played there twice, with one loss to Richmond and have just one more game there against us to go.

If we can stay injury free and Covid can get off our [censored], we are a chance.

Good point. The Dogs game could/might be a real indicator for finals performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

north have all but confirmed that, if they do finish last (which is not entirely guaranteed now), they will be bidding on the two father-sons

I like the gamesmanship of this. You obviously have to rate the draftees, but it automatically puts draft pressure on teams with father-son links to organise their points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

All aboard the Roo train should we beat Hawthorn next week. If the Roos beat Essendon not only do the Bombers hit a snag towards finals the Hawks go bottom.

Do we get a second round Hawthorn pick somewhere ? Was it for Frost?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Do we get a second round Hawthorn pick somewhere ? Was it for Frost?

Just done some checking on future picks and if I have it correctly then this year;

Melbourne receive: Hawthorn's pick 3, North's rd 4 pick, Brisbane's 2nd and 4th round picks, Bulldogs Rd 3 pick

 

We give our 1st pick away to Brisbane

That is a pretty good result and the club really back the right horses it would seem...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/528418/future-picks

 

 

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

north have all but confirmed that, if they do finish last (which is not entirely guaranteed now), they will be bidding on the two father-sons

And i think he's going to be a great get for them at pick 3. he seems to have a lot of attributes for the modern game in that he's tough as they come and a contested beast, but has the ability to be damaging on the outside as well. I definitely see a potential brownlow medalist in Horne. which really says something about how good the other two must be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

And i think he's going to be a great get for them at pick 3. he seems to have a lot of attributes for the modern game in that he's tough as they come and a contested beast, but has the ability to be damaging on the outside as well. I definitely see a potential brownlow medalist in Horne. which really says something about how good the other two must be. 

I'm always suspect on 17 year olds ripping it up in the SANFL. There are copious examples of play in that league failing to translate in the big league.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, A F said:

I'm always suspect on 17 year olds ripping it up in the SANFL. There are copious examples of play in that league failing to translate in the big league.

I agree, but i think there are certain qualities you can see in a young player that you know will translate at AFL level, like Vision, evasiveness, attack on the ball, leadership. this kids got it all. he's definitely not a Toumpas or Aish 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Have you seen the tackle video of him from the weekend on Fogarty? I’d be tanking too..

 

Fogarty the meathead Ricciuto wannabe just thought he'd run through him.
Got [censored] off too when he couldn't ?
Good on the young fella.

Edited by Fork 'em
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...