Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

NON MFC: Rd 17 2021



Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

There's no reason to assume Naughton will miss any more than one week. Dunkley's 1-2 weeks away, so will be back by finals. Treloar's going to struggle but is in contention to be back by finals. Stefan Martin's likely to be back by finals.

I forgot Easton Wood's also out, so there's a sixth best 22 player who didn't play yesterday.

They went into yesterday missing their FF, FB, first ruck, intercept defender and two top 50 midfielders. Sydney played well so it's no wonder the Dogs lost. But it's premature to write them off altogether on the back of that one game.

Yeah, I saw their injury list and soon-to-be-returning players - scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

There's no reason to assume Naughton will miss any more than one week. Dunkley's 1-2 weeks away, so will be back by finals. Treloar's going to struggle but is in contention to be back by finals. Stefan Martin's likely to be back by finals.

I forgot Easton Wood's also out, so there's a sixth best 22 player who didn't play yesterday.

They went into yesterday missing their FF, FB, first ruck, intercept defender and two top 50 midfielders. Sydney played well so it's no wonder the Dogs lost. But it's premature to write them off altogether on the back of that one game.

I'm not writing them off based on one game. They've been suspect all year when teams have actually brought pressure. Their defence is suspect. Cordy was being outmarked by mid sized players yesterday. 

I didn't mean Naughton would be out any longer than one week, I meant it to be more illustrative of their lack of forwardline depth. Especially compared with us who have shown we can win with all different types of forward structures and personnel.

They've got a great midfield but weaknesses at either end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

footscray's midfield - when all fit - is probably the deepest of all teams running

it's clearly their strength as their defence is undersized and their forward line is built around the best young tall forward in the game and a vasty underrated role player; they don't provide the same 'frontal pressure' that our small forwards, partially because they essentially 'clear space' for naughton and bruce

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, whatwhat say what said:

footscray's midfield - when all fit - is probably the deepest of all teams running

it's clearly their strength as their defence is undersized and their forward line is built around the best young tall forward in the game and a vasty underrated role player; they don't provide the same 'frontal pressure' that our small forwards, partially because they essentially 'clear space' for naughton and bruce

 

I agree. Their midfield is wonderful but they are not fans of pressure. When teams win contested footy against them, they respond poorly. So far they have proven to be fragile in big games. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, A F said:

I'm not writing them off based on one game. They've been suspect all year when teams have actually brought pressure. Their defence is suspect. Cordy was being outmarked by mid sized players yesterday. 

I didn't mean Naughton would be out any longer than one week, I meant it to be more illustrative of their lack of forwardline depth. Especially compared with us who have shown we can win with all different types of forward structures and personnel.

They've got a great midfield but weaknesses at either end.

The way Naughton plays is very courageous but he’s as likely to concuss himself again on return the way he plays. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

The way Naughton plays is very courageous but he’s as like to concuss himself again on return the way he plays. 

His goal kicking is pretty inconsistent too. Goes at 45%.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

There's no reason to assume Naughton will miss any more than one week. Dunkley's 1-2 weeks away, so will be back by finals. Treloar's going to struggle but is in contention to be back by finals. Stefan Martin's likely to be back by finals.

I forgot Easton Wood's also out, so there's a sixth best 22 player who didn't play yesterday.

They went into yesterday missing their FF, FB, first ruck, intercept defender and two top 50 midfielders. Sydney played well so it's no wonder the Dogs lost. But it's premature to write them off altogether on the back of that one game.

Martin and Wood are absolutely cooked mate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

footscray's midfield - when all fit - is probably the deepest of all teams running

it's clearly their strength as their defence is undersized and their forward line is built around the best young tall forward in the game and a vasty underrated role player; they don't provide the same 'frontal pressure' that our small forwards, partially because they essentially 'clear space' for naughton and bruce

 

Naughton wouldn't be my pick for best young forward in the game, I'd have at least 3 others ahead of him (McKay and the King brothers for starters), but each to their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely pizzling down in Perth now, Eagles are pretty skilful side which is an asset in the wet, but they are one of the the worst sides for groundball gets I’ve ever seen.

Cunnington could be very important tonight along with Goldy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, A F said:

Naughton wouldn't be my pick for best young forward in the game, I'd have at least 3 others ahead of him (McKay and the King brothers for starters), but each to their own.

I think the King brothers will be great, but they run very hot and cold currently (or more specifically they run cold 2/3rds of the time, and then look great for a game). 

McKay could be anything in a good side, but he plays for Carlton so it’s hard to evaluate.

If we could take any key forward in the league I’d take Naughton. He hits packs in a way that just isn’t something you can teach in a young player (hard as we’ve tried the last 10 years). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I think the King brothers will be great, but they run very hot and cold currently (or more specifically they run cold 2/3rds of the time, and then look great for a game). 

McKay could be anything in a good side, but he plays for Carlton so it’s hard to evaluate.

If we could take any key forward in the league I’d take Naughton. He hits packs in a way that just isn’t something you can teach in a young player (hard as we’ve tried the last 10 years). 

I agree.

Watching Naughton is like watching a young Wayne Carey all over again.

Still only 21 years of age, built like a brick ****house and crashes packs like not other.

Hes one of the best young key forwards in the if not already one of the best going around. It's mental he's doing this so young still.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 10:05 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

St Kilda’s song needs more lyrics 

Only 13 repetitious words - unimaginative, uninspiring and boring.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:49 PM, Jaded said:

Injuries injuries injuries. A blessed run is up there with the most important factor in winning it. We’ve been blessed by the gods so far. But it can all come crashing down quickly as Brisbane learnt tonight. We are a May/Lever injury away from complete nuclear meltdown. 

We did lose May early in a vital match against a top key opponent, and won that game and the ones he missed.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, Paulo said:

Umps

The umps cost us dearly in the final minutes of the Adelaide game, but seriously we should have been able to wrap it up way earlier.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just turned on the WCE v NM game - 3.10 vs 3.2 at half time!

Wont watch any more of to but sounds a completely uninspiring game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree.

Watching Naughton is like watching a young Wayne Carey all over again.

Still only 21 years of age, built like a brick ****house and crashes packs like not other.

Hes one of the best young key forwards in the if not already one of the best going around. It's mental he's doing this so young still.

his mobility and attack on the contest is awesome and he has such sticky hands; all he needs to do to really take over the competition is nail his shots

footscray's forward line is going to be interesting with naughton leading the charge plus jamara ugle-hagen and luke darcy's son as likely key forward types from next year onwards, as they develop to replace josh bruce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

West Coast losing to Norf is the biggest lol of the season. Not done with yet but they’re making a good go of it. 
I hate Norf but gees it’s nice to see those booing border-shutters lose. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

West Coast losing to Norf is the biggest lol of the season. Not done with yet but they’re making a good go of it. 
I hate Norf but gees it’s nice to see those booing border-shutters lose. 

LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Just turned on the WCE v NM game - 3.10 vs 3.2 at half time!

Wont watch any more of to but sounds a completely uninspiring game.

Entertaining for the spite. Might be some reports. WC losing the plot. North taking control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...