Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rudeness towards trainers

olisik

4 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

No-one has said that.
He's a lead up forward who takes the ball at the highest point.
And then kicks straight for goal.

We could use one of those.

No one really, maybe not in those words but review all the posts across team selection for last few weeks and the changes thread vs Port

We need a tall target to bring the ball to               ground for our crumbed

We need to bring in a proven 60 goal a year forward who will provide us an contest and aerial target

He does neither of those things and never has, he’s a great lead up forward with the ball out in front of him . He runs in straight lines direct to the ball and does it well.   If he doesn’t get the ball delivered to him that’s not always an issue because his patterns still provides a lane for another forward to run to.

But that is his strength and he generally kicks accurately. Outside of that he lacks strength and is very easy to knock off the ball in a 1 v 1 contests.

I don’t mind him coming in for something different but he’s not going to increase the amount of ground balls we win if he doesn’t mark it, the ball is coming straight back out.

Yes he will improve our conversion, but he also brings flaws, like most players

2 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

My take at the time was that he didn't see him. 

Yeah, which goes to my point about his decision making. I reckon a better decision maker gets his head up and spots up Petracca.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Can’t speak for Fork ‘em, but I’m defs serious. All good though coz apparently @Ethan Trembley is gonna email Roger Federer to ask him to sort this out, as promised in an earlier post in this thread. ?

I think of myself as a fairly decent and considerate human being. But if I've been playing the same stupid game day in and day out since I was five and there are millions of people watching with £2 million up from grabs, I probably wouldn't be spending too much time thinking about the feelings of the ball-kids during and in between points. 

But I can't say that for sure, because I've never played off for a Wimbledon title before (although I do know people who have). I've also been a ball-boy before in matches featuring some of the biggest names to have ever played the sport, and never took it personally when they didn't acknowledge me during the contest. They were almost all appreciate after though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

If he didn't see Trac then he didn't really burn him. I only noticed Trac in the frame at the last moment - he was coming in from behind Jack's ordinary scope of vision. Not the worst crime. Also, I want our players to back themselves in and take the open shot on occasion. It's such a fine line, but might have worked out different on Saturday if Hunt had done so for example. Viney nailed at least one of those from the same spot earlier in the year. 

Being at the ground, it seemed to me that if he was looking at the goals in order to kick towards them, it would have been hard to miss Trac standing there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, A F said:

Being at the ground, it seemed to me that if he was looking at the goals in order to kick towards them, it would have been hard to miss Trac standing there.

Just watched the replay. Jack received on his left at around 55 out (Langdon is awesome btw, so good at halving the aerial contest but keeping his balance with his body ball-side), ran five meters to straighten up and unloaded. It was a low-percentage shot, but Trac was around 20 out at the time hidden behind traffic, and there were no other obvious options. Jack didn't appear to look inboard, but it would have taken a special play to see and spot up Petracca. He really wasn't in the frame yet.

(19.54 if you have Kayo). 

• Thanks 1

People only see what happens out on the field, not what happens behind close doors, etc. I used to be a Victorian-based trainer for one of the interstate sides about 10-15 years ago, only working in the Victorian-based games (yep, all whilst still being a Demons supporter - geez it was hard when they played Melbourne!) To be honest, most of the players were great, but on the field they're focused on the game, not necessarily focusing on good manners. There were a few players that weren't overly friendly and you felt somewhat used by them, or a slave to them (i.e. it was a voluntary role and long hours on match days), but they were the absolute minority.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, Ethan Trembley said:

Dear Roger,

An overwhelming number of people are becoming annoyed that you and your fellow tennis players are not acknowledging the ball-person when they throw the ball back at you. To cease this annoyance, could you please stop concentrating on your next move within the match and kindly face the ball-person and raise an eyebrow (or two) in appreciation. 

Much love, 

Ethan

What did he say? Or did he burn you?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, GM11 said:

What did he say? Or did he burn you?

He clearly hasn’t emailed Roger yet. I watched some Wimbledon last night and the players were still ignoring the ball kids. ?

• Haha 1

More important than being polite to the runners, etc., I think, is....be polite and friendly to the umpires.

I think it could be worth a free or two, or a non-holding-the-ball, if you're chummy with the umps.

Remember the Brayshaw/Razor Ray exchange?

So  players should always pick up the ball for the ump when getting up after a scrimmage.

A smile or a wink when returning the ball to the ump after a stuffed ball-up, could just counteract one of those dubious "blocking" frees against Gawn at the centre bounce.

The one time I was in the rooms before a game, when the umps  came in to check the players' gear, they hardly acknowledged them. That was the perfect opportunity to ingratiate themselves!

Please don't think  I'm suggesting that some  umps might have a  weakness in their psychological make-up  by making these suggestions. Surely not!!!!

• Love 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:34 PM, Smokey said:

I think its reasonable for a bloke to not be happy with watching one of our senior players push a female trainer in frustration on the field without being accused of being "offended" ... 

I get the feeling I'm about to be called a snowflake or similar 

Yep I saw it and I did not like it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

More important than being polite to the runners, etc., I think, is....be polite and friendly to the umpires.

I think it could be worth a free or two, or a non-holding-the-ball, if you're chummy with the umps.

Remember the Brayshaw/Razor Ray exchange?

So  players should always pick up the ball for the ump when getting up after a scrimmage.

A smile or a wink when returning the ball to the ump after a stuffed ball-up, could just counteract one of those dubious "blocking" frees against Gawn at the centre bounce.

The one time I was in the rooms before a game, when the umps  came in to check the players' gear, they hardly acknowledged them. That was the perfect opportunity to ingratiate themselves!

Please don't think  I'm suggesting that some  umps might have a  weakness in their psychological make-up  by making these suggestions. Surely not!!!!

Human nature     if an umpire hates a player for gobbing off all the time   come a 50/50 decision we know which way it will go.  I do not for one minute think umps are biased.. they are under big pressure from their superiors as well. Friend son does the VFL and hoping to break into AFL      enormous pressure and meetings and questions asked by their bosses... constantly.  (As it should be in an elite Comp)

• Like 1