Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview    

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview    

Tokyo Olympics 2021


Macca
 Share


Recommended Posts

                                         Saturday Schedule

  • 9.30pm     Soccer - Men's Gold Medal Match (USA vs France)

                                             

                                          Sunday Schedule

  • 8.00am    Athletics - Men's Marathon Final (Robinson, Adams, Raynor)
  • 11.00am  Cycling Track - S/F's & Q/F's (Edmondson, Richardson, Glaetzer)
  • 12.00pm  Rhythmic Gymnastics - Group All-Around Final
  • 12.20pm  Cycling Track - Women's Best Of 3 Sprint Finals
  • 12.30pm  Basketball - Women's Gold Medal Match (Japan vs USA)
  • 1.00pm    Cycling Track - Men's Keiren Final
  • 1.25pm    Cycling Track - Women's Omnium Points Race Final
  • 2.30pm    Volleyball - Women's Gold Medal Match (Brazil vs USA)
  • 3.00pm    Handball - Women's Gold Medal Match (ROC vs France)
  • 3.00pm    Boxing - 4 Finals (2 Women's, 2 Men's)
  • 5.30pm    Water Polo - Men's Gold Medal Match (Greece vs Serbia)
  • 8.30pm    Closing Ceremony
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Matthew Glaetzer makes the final of the Men's Keirin (1.00pm) after coming a very close 2nd in his S/F!

The order in the 6 man field will be very important for Matthew ... I don't know his preference but the 2 or 3 spot might suit (?)

In the Women's Omnium Annette Edmondson is placed (12th) after 2 of the 4 disciplines

 

Edit: Looks like Matthew could be in the 2 spot in the Keirin Final whilst Annette Edmondson has drifted back even further after being eliminated early from the 3rd (of 4) discipline in the Omnium

 

 

 

.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it seems that while the final few events are wrapping up, the Australian campaign has come to a close with Nicola McDermott claiming our final medal, being a silver in the women's high jump last night. Giving us 17 Gold, 7 Silver & 22 Bronze. Our equal most Gold medals with Athens 2004 and equal 3rd highest total medal haul, equalling the 46 we claimed in Bejing 2008.

It's been an incredibly successful Olympics for the country and for Tokyo in pulling it off all things considered. From what I understand the Olympics have been a ratings smash for Channel 7, so the appetite for the Olympics are still there, despite what some say.

With Brisbane 2032 on the cards now, it will be interesting to see how that translates to results going forward with Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games just around the corner and then into Paris 2024.  After Sydney secured the rights for the games back in 1993, we saw Australia claim it's largest medal haul ever at the time of 41 in Atlanta 1996, before transitioning into what were our three most succesful games ever before this year in Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Bejing 2008.  But as always, funding will no doubt play a big part in it.

Highlights for me these games cover a few. Titmus 400m Freestyle win against Ledecke, the Womens 4x100m Freestyle relay world record, the Womens 4.100m Medley Relay on the final day in the pool, Jess Fox breaking through for her win in the C1, the Boomers finally getting that elusive Basketball medal, similar with Melissa Wu in the 10m Platform, Del Solar & Clancy defeating the World Number 1 pair in the Beach Volleyball on their way to claiming a silver medal and probably a string of others that escape me right now that I'll think of later.

Areas of concern or things that I think should be looked at. Lack of success this Olympics in the Veledrome as opposed to how we often stack up.  How the Opals are going to move forward in a post Cambage world and the Hockeyroos inability to make the medal rounds in the Hockey. But even all three of those had their moments this games as well.

It's been a memorable fortnight as it always is.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

So it seems that while the final few events are wrapping up, the Australian campaign has come to a close with Nicola McDermott claiming our final medal, being a silver in the women's high jump last night. Giving us 17 Gold, 7 Silver & 22 Bronze. Our equal most Gold medals with Athens 2004 and equal 3rd highest total medal haul, equalling the 46 we claimed in Bejing 2008.

It's been an incredibly successful Olympics for the country and for Tokyo in pulling it off all things considered. From what I understand the Olympics have been a ratings smash for Channel 7, so the appetite for the Olympics are still there, despite what some say.

With Brisbane 2032 on the cards now, it will be interesting to see how that translates to results going forward with Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games just around the corner and then into Paris 2024.  After Sydney secured the rights for the games back in 1993, we saw Australia claim it's largest medal haul ever at the time of 41 in Atlanta 1996, before transitioning into what were our three most succesful games ever before this year in Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Bejing 2008.  But as always, funding will no doubt play a big part in it.

Highlights for me these games cover a few. Titmus 400m Freestyle win against Ledecke, the Womens 4x100m Freestyle relay world record, the Womens 4.100m Medley Relay on the final day in the pool, Jess Fox breaking through for her win in the C1, the Boomers finally getting that elusive Basketball medal, similar with Melissa Wu in the 10m Platform, Del Solar & Clancy defeating the World Number 1 pair in the Beach Volleyball on their way to claiming a silver medal and probably a string of others that escape me right now that I'll think of later.

Areas of concern or things that I think should be looked at. Lack of success this Olympics in the Veledrome as opposed to how we often stack up.  How the Opals are going to move forward in a post Cambage world and the Hockeyroos inability to make the medal rounds in the Hockey. But even all three of those had their moments this games as well.

It's been a memorable fortnight as it always is.

Well summed up TD ... I couldn't have said it better myself. It's been a fantastic Olympics, all things considered. 

The future looks good in a number of sports and we can really only improve in Track Cycling.  The team sports can perform better but from an overall point of view, we have far exceeded my expectations

We had a number of Track & Field athletes make finals and many of them can progress further into medal contention.  And our medalists could all win gold in Paris (Barber,  McDermott & Moloney)

Our swimming team was outstanding ... 9 Gold medals is the stuff of dreams.  All our other medalists & Gold medalists were just as outstanding

I now see the Commonwealth games as another major meet so am eagerly looking forward to taking on England & Canada for top honours in Birmingham.  Before that we get the Winter Olympics next February where 4 or 5 Aussies are genuine medal chances

I've read recently that the Commonwealth games will be downsized after Birmingham to suit the host City (costs, profitability etc) so some sports will go whilst a few others might be added depending on the capabilities of the host City. 

As it stands, 2026 remains up in the air as to who will host it but again, the athletes need the competion as it is not just about the Olympics for the participants.  Worlds,  Pan Pacs,  Diamond Leagues etc are all ultra important for the athletes

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well summed up TD ... I couldn't have said it better myself. It's been a fantastic Olympics, all things considered. 

The future looks good in a number of sports and we can really only improve in Track Cycling.  The team sports can perform better but from an overall point of view, we have far exceeded my expectations

We had a number of Track & Field athletes make finals and many of them can progress further into medal contention.  And our medalists could all win gold in Paris (Barber,  McDermott & Moloney)

Our swimming team was outstanding ... 9 Gold medals is the stuff of dreams.  All our other medalists & Gold medalists were just as outstanding

I now see the Commonwealth games as another major meet so am eagerly looking forward to taking on England & Canada for top honours in Birmingham.  Before that we get the Winter Olympics next February where 4 or 5 Aussies are genuine medal chances

I've read recently that the Commonwealth games will be downsized after Birmingham to suit the host City (costs, profitability etc) so some sports will go whilst a few others might be added depending on the capabilities of the host City. 

As it stands, 2026 remains up in the air as to who will host it but again, the athletes need the competion as it is not just about the Olympics for the participants.  Worlds,  Pan Pacs,  Diamond Leagues etc are all ultra important for the athletes

 

Well said Macca and I had heard similar things in regards to the Commonwealth Games. For example I think therewon't be any shooting in Birmingham. So it will be interesting to see which sports last or alternate from Comm Games to Comm Games?

It's also odd there's no host city for 2026 only 5 years out! I know Hamilton, Canada is looking at bidding for them for 2030 to mark 100 years since the first Comm Games and that regional Victoria are also looking to bid for 2030 with the games spread across the following (Shepparton, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Warrnambool, Wodonga, Nagambie, Yarrawonga and Traralgon). So that's comforting, but a host for 2026 would need to be secured soon. I believe it will likely be Shah Alam, Malaysia or Mumbai, India from my understanding.

Both Canada and New Zealand have had really good Olympics and GB continue to be strong. So hopefully the standard of competition in Birmingham 2022 will put us in good stead for Paris 2024.

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

Well said Macca and I had heard similar things in regards to the Commonwealth Games. For example I think therewon't be any shooting in Birmingham. So it will be interesting to see which sports last or alternate from Comm Games to Comm Games?

It's also odd there's no host city for 2026 only 5 years out! I know Hamilton, Canada is looking at bidding for them for 2030 to mark 100 years since the first Comm Games and that regional Victoria are also looking to bid for 2030 with the games spread across the following (Shepparton, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Warrnambool, Wodonga, Nagambie, Yarrawonga and Traralgon). So that's comforting, but a host for 2026 would need to be secured soon. I believe it will likely be Shah Alam, Malaysia or Mumbai, India from my understanding.

Both Canada and New Zealand have had really good Olympics and GB continue to be strong. So hopefully the standard of competition in Birmingham 2022 will put us in good stead for Paris 2024.

And the Commonwealth Games & World Track & Field Championships are to be held only 4 days apart next July!  Athletes might have to make a choice or perhaps compete in both (?)

I've made a list of upcoming World Championships which will follow this post ... I've attended 4 of the events when they were held in Melbourne and there's 2 more coming up (Women's Soccer World Cup & Women's Basketball World's)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For fans of the Olympic sports here are some future dates to note re World Championships et al

  • 2021  (Sept 16th - 19th)  Canoe/Sprint World's (Copenhagen, Denmark)
  • 2021  (Sept 21st - 26th)  Canoe/Slalom World's (Bratislava, Slovakia)
  • 2021   (Oct 13th - 17th)   Cycling (Track) World's (Turkmenistan)
  • 2022   (Feb 9th - 25th)     Winter Olympics (Beijing, China)
  • 2022   (May 13th - 29th)  Swimming World's (Fukuoka, Japan)
  • 2022   (June 6th - 16th)   Beach Volleyball World's (Rome, Italy)
  • 2022   (July 1st - 17th)     Hockey Women's World's (Spain & Netherlands)
  • 2022   (July 7th - 17th)     Softball Women's World's (Birmingham, Alabama, USA)
  • 2022   (July 15th - 24th)   Track & Field World's (Eugene, Oregon, USA)
  • 2022   (July 28th - Aug 8th)  Commonwealth Games (Birmingham, England)
  • 2022   (Sept 5th - 17th)     Equestrian World's (Pratoni Del Vivaro, Italy)
  • 2022    (Sept 9th - 11th)    Rugby 7's World's (Capetown, South Africa)
  • 2022    (Sept 18th - 25th)  Rowing World's (Czech Republic)
  • 2022    (Sept 23rd - Oct 3rd)  Basketball Women's World's (Sydney, Australia)
  • 2022    (Oct 29th - Nov 6th)   Gymnastics World's (Liverpool, England)
  • 2023    (Jan 13th - 29th)     Hockey Men's World's (India)
  • 2023    (July 20th - Aug 20th) Soccer Women's World Cup (Australia & New Zealand)
  • 2023    (Aug 23rd - Sept 10th) Basketball Men's World's (Japan, Philippines, Indonesia)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The lack of publicity and recognition for our Paralympians is really sad to me. 
I was shocked to learn we give our athletes $20,000 prize money for winning gold but our Paralympians get $0. What a disgrace. 

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...