Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tokyo Olympics 2021

Macca

Great to see that the Olympics are going ahead despite the Covid world we live in

Just about every other sport (or sporting event) has managed to get by despite Covid so those calling for the Olympics to not go ahead might want to imagine how they'd feel if we didn't have any sport at all.  For instance, the footy

These athletes should be admired in the sense that they dedicate their lives to a particular sport and often only get one shot at glory.  I welcome the new sports too.  It's a changing world and sports are no different in that regard

The Aussies could end up with up to 40 medals with a gold medal tally of about 8-10.  All things considered, that would be a great result but the tally could be even better if we do really well in the pool

If I get a chance I'll post up the upcoming events to look out for but the resident Demonland guru on all things Olympics @MadAsHell may well be able to help out in that regard

In the meantime, here are some of the Aussie chances ...

Ariarne Titmus: 200 Freestyle, 400 Freestyle

Jessica Fox: Canoeing C1 & K1

Rohan Dennis: Individual Time Trial (Cycling)

Laylee McKeown: 100 Back, 200 Back, 200 IM

Field Hockey: Kookaburra's, Hockeyroos

Sally Fitzgibbons: Surfing

Stewart McSweyn: Athletics - Middle Distance

Soccer: Matilda's

Basketball: Opals & Boomers

Rohan Browning: 100m Sprint

Rowing: Mens Fours & Womens Fours

Tennis: Ash Barty

Sailing: Mens 470, Mens Laser

Swimming: 4 x 100 Freestyle womens, Mixed 4 x 100 Medley Relay

Triathlon: Mixed Team Relay

Kurtis Marschall: Pole Vault

Brandon Starc: High Jump

Kersey-Lee Barber: Javelin

Equestrian: 3 Day Event

Rugby 7's: Mens & Womens

Softball: Womens (Aussie Spirit)

Water Polo: Stingrays & Sharks

Kyle Chalmers: 100 Freestyle, 200 Freestyle

Jack McLoughlin: 800 Freestyle, 1500 Freestyle

Of course, we have a number of other chances as I'm not across all our prospects (and there are always surprise results, especially in the lesser known sports)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Team events involving Australia (in the first week) ... all times are AEST but please double check any of the scheduled times listed.  Channel 7 along with 7Two, 7Plus & 7mate are covering the Olympics

• Wed 21/7 Softball Aust vs Japan 10.00am
  • Wed 21/7 Football (Womens) Matilda's vs NZ 9.30pm

• Thurs 22/7 Softball Aust vs Italy 3.00pm
  • Thurs 22/7 Football (Mens) Olyroos vs Argentina 8.00pm

• Sat 24/7 Hockey (Mens) Kookaburra's vs Japan 10.30am
  • Sat 24/7 Softball Aust vs Canada 11.00am
  • Sat 24/7 Water Polo (Womens) Stingrays vs Canada 4.15pm
  • Sat 24/7 Football (Womens) Matilda's vs Sweden 6.30pm

• Sun 25/7 Softball Aust vs USA 11.00am
  • Sun 25/7 Hockey (Womens) Hockeyroos vs Spain 8.00pm
  • Sun 25/7 Water Polo (Mens) Sharks vs Montenegro 4.30pm
  • Sun 25/7 Basketball (Mens) Boomers vs Nigeria 6.20pm
  • Sun 25/7 Hockey (Mens) Kookaburra's vs India 7.30pm
  • Sun 25/7 Football (Mens) Olyroos vs Spain 8.00pm
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the above info @Macca.

Very comprehensive list above and not much I think I could add at this stage, outside of our Womens 4x200m Freestyle relay team.  You mentioned 4x100m and the medley, but I reckon if we only win one Gold Medal for the whole Olympics, it will be the Womens 4x200m.

Otherwise a big interest will be to see if the Boomers can finally win their first medal.  I think they're a good chance, though it wont be easy. Simmons withdraw and Bogut's retirement hurt, but I still think we're capable. Also a change in the format makes it interesting also.  No more two groups of 6, rather three groups of 4 and the highest 8 ranked teams go into a draw for the Quarter Finals.  I think this has been done to avoid tanking (avoid certain opponents) plus reduce the amount of games played.

Also look out to see how the Hockeyroos fare after their review wrapped up earlier this year and there were all sorts of culture problems which you can read about here. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/hockeyroos-coach-quits-as-review-set-to-be-released-20210317-p57boy.html

But can't wait to get into it.  Have got my two weeks leave staycation all booked so I can watch the majority!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Thanks for all the above info @Macca.

Very comprehensive list above and not much I think I could add at this stage, outside of our Womens 4x200m Freestyle relay team.  You mentioned 4x100m and the medley, but I reckon if we only win one Gold Medal for the whole Olympics, it will be the Womens 4x200m.

Otherwise a big interest will be to see if the Boomers can finally win their first medal.  I think they're a good chance, though it wont be easy. Simmons withdraw and Bogut's retirement hurt, but I still think we're capable. Also a change in the format makes it interesting also.  No more two groups of 6, rather three groups of 4 and the highest 8 ranked teams go into a draw for the Quarter Finals.  I think this has been done to avoid tanking (avoid certain opponents) plus reduce the amount of games played.

Also look out to see how the Hockeyroos fare after their review wrapped up earlier this year and there were all sorts of culture problems which you can read about here. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/hockeyroos-coach-quits-as-review-set-to-be-released-20210317-p57boy.html

But can't wait to get into it.  Have got my two weeks leave staycation all booked so I can watch the majority!

To be honest I needed to peruse a few web sites to find a lot of the medal chances (or top 8 chances) so there's likely to be other chances such as the 4 x 200 Womens Freestyle that you pointed out TD

Drawn to the team sports as well but as we saw in Rio, medals in the team sports are hard to come by ... but the matches themselves are always riveting viewing

Even the Sharks in the Mens Water Polo can be an enthralling watch although the Eastern European nations tend to dominate

Interesting changes in the basketball but we should be good enough to reach the quarter finals (at least) with both the Boomers & Opals

And the Hockeyroos will do well to compete well after reading that article ... you often have to wonder how these things get so out of control. Not good

I just hope that Ch7 are able to co-ordinate it all so that we don't miss the big moments.  It's an onerous task but they've had plenty of time to get it all organised

Apparently Hamish is hosting the 6.30pm - 10.30pm stint every day.  Good move as he's a thorough pro.  Not everyone's cup of tea but I like his style. 

As always,  Bruce will cover the track & field and he's the best in the business

The swimming kicks off day 1 but ... all the finals will be in the morning (11am - 1.30pm approx) Catering for the big USA TV networks wins out.  Money talks

So Sunday morning in the first week is where we can start winning some medals in the swimming. 

Thankfully, nearly all the track & field finals will be held in the evenings (8.00pm - 11.00pm approx)

I'll post up a link to the official site soon enough but it's a really easy site to use and navigate (especially with the scheduling)

• Like 1

Olympics will have no crowds due to the recent spike in cases in Tokyo. Over 900 the other day it seems. It was already set to proceed with locals only and no cheering, however now it will just be for TV.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/3e84fc38-2b06-43d8-b828-2c6b7319cee1

As a result we see that Nick Kyrigos has withdrawn due to not playing in front of crowds. Can't say I blame anyone for doing so to be fair.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/sport/olympics/reason-aussie-tennis-star-nick-kyrgios-snubbing-tokyo-olympics/news-story/11c004463b548b63aebe19748a725329

Watching the Olympics with no crowds will be odd. Have to say I feel for the city of Tokyo. Hosting the Olympics ain't cheap and now with no tourists or even local supporters, they're not going to get much back at all!

Makes one wonder whether a decision should have been made late last year or even at the start of this year to move the games somewhere that had COVID a bit more under control???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

Olympics will have no crowds due to the recent spike in cases in Tokyo. Over 900 the other day it seems. It was already set to proceed with locals only and no cheering, however now it will just be for TV.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/3e84fc38-2b06-43d8-b828-2c6b7319cee1

As a result we see that Nick Kyrigos has withdrawn due to not playing in front of crowds. Can't say I blame anyone for doing so to be fair.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/sport/olympics/reason-aussie-tennis-star-nick-kyrgios-snubbing-tokyo-olympics/news-story/11c004463b548b63aebe19748a725329

Watching the Olympics with no crowds will be odd. Have to say I feel for the city of Tokyo. Hosting the Olympics ain't cheap and now with no tourists or even local supporters, they're not going to get much back at all!

Makes one wonder whether a decision should have been made late last year or even at the start of this year to move the games somewhere that had COVID a bit more under control???

Yeah it's tricky because Japan would have spent hundreds of millions (perhaps billions) to set the whole thing up so even if they could walk away, the cost would be enormous for next to zero return

And the contract with the IOC is water tight anyway so the financial penalties for breaking the contract are enormous

It's become an unfortunate situation whichever way you look at it ... although the broadcast rights money will soften the blow (and we're talking tens of $Billions of dollars of broadcast rights money)

As always, follow the money trail!

Thousands of soccer games in Europe still go on without crowds but because of the broadcast rights money, there's no talk of cancelling

As for holding the games where Covid is under control there aren't many choices apart from Australia & NZ.  And I doubt whether either Country would take on such a major exercise at short notice

So the games must go on!

No crowds lessens the while thing as a spectacle but most professional sports have got by despite playing thousands of times in front of empty stadiums in the last 18 months

The lack of crowds won't bother me personally as my concentration is on the athletes and the contest

The important thing that needs to be remembered are the athletes themselves ... they've given up everything to be able to compete and they've earnt that right to compete in my view

Most of the opposition here comes from those who are not invested in the Olympics anyway ... and they are often hypocritical as they are not at the same time calling for other sports to be cancelled because of Covid

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

This will be a big blow to the Opals medal chances, but I think she has to go. You can't have a team leader behaving in her fashion. Not to mention she has a habit of making things all about her which probably isn't the best ingredients for a successful team.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/liz-cambage-could-be-stood-down-from-olympics-for-multiple-incidents/news-story/ab470852cb0a607f237f8533a99e80e9

Also Alex De Minaur is out after testing positive to COVID. No doubt there could be others.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/alex-de-minaur-has-been-forced-to-pull-out-of-the-olympics-after-testing-positive-to-covid19/news-story/7dc3e8305630a938a652010bd1816310

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

This will be a big blow to the Opals medal chances, but I think she has to go. You can't have a team leader behaving in her fashion. Not to mention she has a habit of making things all about her which probably isn't the best ingredients for a successful team.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/liz-cambage-could-be-stood-down-from-olympics-for-multiple-incidents/news-story/ab470852cb0a607f237f8533a99e80e9

Also Alex De Minaur is out after testing positive to COVID. No doubt there could be others.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/alex-de-minaur-has-been-forced-to-pull-out-of-the-olympics-after-testing-positive-to-covid19/news-story/7dc3e8305630a938a652010bd1816310

And of course hundreds of soccer players and officials in Europe have been testing positive but those games went on unabated

I could give you a stack of other examples including the latest lockdown in Melbourne being attributed to crowds at the footy (at least in part)

Where's the angst there?  Crickets

One tennis player testing positive is not a story if the big picture is taken into account

It's like the Olympics is being made the scapegoat for Covid.  It's quite laughable really

Shut down the footy if people want the Olympics shut down.  Every sport in fact should go

No more sport until Covid is eradicated!  (I'm joking)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radar said:

Guess my earlier post was deleted

For good reason too

You've started a separate thread where you can spread all your angst about the Olympics

Edited by Macca

Sounds like she’s pulled the ol “tired and emotional” card. 

What will Australia medal in now? Trail bikes? Skateboards? Is Rap dancing in yet. 

If we had the class of Ralph Doubell or caliber of Peter Norman I’d be right there. 

• Facepalm 1

IMO opinion Liz has walked before being pushed given everything going on. Will be interesting to see if this galvanises  the Opals or if they really struggle as a result.

While some of the newer events aren't to everyone's tastes @radar the occasional ones hit very well. Rugby 7's at the last Olympics, Beach Volleyball in 96'. Futsal could become your new favorite sport yet!?

A day after the Cambage circus the Opals have knocked off the US!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/opals-show-they-dont-need-cambage-in-monster-win-over-united-states/news-story/3d5ade019ed2caf9862a096b651566fc

Hopefully this bodes well with the group now being galvanised.

• Like 1

So with lockdown to continue for at least another 7 days, it's time to settle in for the Olympics!

Action kicks off tomorrow, more than 48 hours out from the opening ceremony.

10:00am our softball team open proceedingsagainst the host nation Japan and at 9:30pm the Matildas come up against New Zealand. Fingers crossed for a perfect start to the next 2.5 weeks!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

So with lockdown to continue for at least another 7 days, it's time to settle in for the Olympics!

Action kicks off tomorrow, more than 48 hours out from the opening ceremony.

10:00am our softball team open proceedingsagainst the host nation Japan and at 9:30pm the Matildas come up against New Zealand. Fingers crossed for a perfect start to the next 2.5 weeks!

Yep, exciting isn't it!  I reckon many who aren't really fired up for the Olympics soon will be

Great to see softball back and the lead off match is a beauty (Aust vs Japan)

I'm sure you're all over it, TD,  but for the benefit of others, the Softball game is on 7Mate whilst the Matilda's are on the main 7HD channel (see times in the quoted post below)

Radio SEN & the ABC are covering the Games in a comprehensive manner as well

As for the rest of the schedule and other links see another quoted post further down

Other events on the weekend to keep an eye out for (involving the Aussies) ... Swimming heats (Sat & Sun evening) Swimming finals (Sunday morning) Rowing Heats & Semi Finals (Fri, Sat, Sun morning) Cycling Womens Road Race Final (Sun 2pm) Equestrian, Diving, Canoeing,  Sailing,  Shooting,  Surfing and lots more.  Maybe 6 other sports with Aussie representation

Bring it on!!!!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:33 PM, Macca said:

• Wed 21/7 Softball Aust vs Japan 10.00am
  • Wed 21/7 Football (Womens) Matilda's vs NZ 9.30pm

• Thurs 22/7 Softball Aust vs Italy 3.00pm
  • Thurs 22/7 Football (Mens) Olyroos vs Argentina 8.00pm

• Sat 24/7 Hockey (Mens) Kookaburra's vs Japan 10.30am
  • Sat 24/7 Softball Aust vs Canada 11.00am
  • Sat 24/7 Water Polo (Womens) Stingrays vs Canada 4.15pm
  • Sat 24/7 Football (Womens) Matilda's vs Sweden 6.30pm

• Sun 25/7 Softball Aust vs USA 11.00am
  • Sun 25/7 Hockey (Womens) Hockeyroos vs Spain 8.00pm
  • Sun 25/7 Water Polo (Mens) Sharks vs Montenegro 4.30pm
  • Sun 25/7 Basketball (Mens) Boomers vs Nigeria 6.20pm
  • Sun 25/7 Hockey (Mens) Kookaburra's vs India 7.30pm
  • Sun 25/7 Football (Mens) Olyroos vs Spain 8.00pm

On 7/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, Macca said:

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Aussie Softballers flogged 8-1 and the mercy has come into effect in the 5th innings.  Not the result the girls would have been after.  They'll need to regroup if they want to match their 2008 efforts of a bronze medal.

Started ok with the first score, but after the 1st innings they couldn't lay bat on ball.  Japan look very good!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Aussie Softballers flogged 8-1 and the mercy has come into effect in the 5th innings.  Not the result the girls would have been after.  They'll need to regroup if they want to match their 2008 efforts of a bronze medal.

Started ok with the first score, but after the 1st innings they couldn't lay bat on ball.  Japan look very good!

Watched a bit on the app and we did have a few chances to score including a bases loaded situation

Was always going to be a test against Japan who are not only very good, but they have a proper professional league

Still, it's all about making the semi's (if that's how it works?) and then anything can happen

Thanks for the updates TD ... keep it up if you can!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Macca said:

Watched a bit on the app and we did have a few chances to score including a bases loaded situation

Was always going to be a test against Japan who are not only very good, but they have a proper professional league

Still, it's all about making the semi's (if that's how it works?) and then anything can happen

Thanks for the updates TD ... keep it up if you can!

No semi's it seems. Only 6 teams competing in a round robin format. At the end, 1st & 2nd play for Gold & 3rd & 4th play for bronze.

First time we've seen Softball since 2008 Beijing and we already know it wont be at Paris 2024.  Given there's only 6 nations competing, it probably not that big a shock.  So this games will likely be the only chance this generation has to compete at a games.

Next match starts at 1pm AEST with USA v Italy. Might give it a watch just to see what the competition is like.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, radar said:

First Gold to Australia- busted for cocaine. 
Unpalatable after the legitimate song and dance we put on about the Chinese swimmer. 

Saw that. What an absolute muppet!  Should have the book thrown at him like any drug cheat.

I don't care if it's cocaine, dope or steroids, athletes know what the rules are. No sympathy for anyone caught doing the wrong thing.

• Like 1

USA defeat a plucky Italian team 2-0. Hard to say which team it says most about.

Canada v Mexico up at 4:00pm before the soccer tournament kicks off at 5:30pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

Saw that. What an absolute muppet!  Should have the book thrown at him like any drug cheat.

I don't care if it's cocaine, dope or steroids, athletes know what the rules are. No sympathy for anyone caught doing the wrong thing.

Does it really matter in the whole scheme of things ... happens every other day in a myriad of other sports

There's thousands of athletes in Tokyo ... there are going to be indiscretions and numerous Covid positives ... as there is in numerous other sports

Footy is a great example ... they are trying to outrun Covid and the fixture has been hopelessly compromised.  Issues everywhere with isolation & quarantining.

Yet the show goes on

The Olympics has been held up as the scapegoat for Covid ... all the other sports are spreading Covid everywhere (esp in the USA & soccer)

Where's the consistent argument TD?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radar said:

First Gold to Australia- busted for cocaine. 
Unpalatable after the legitimate song and dance we put on about the Chinese swimmer. 

Storm in a teacup

• Like 1

So it's official, Brisbane will host the 2032 Olympic Games after first hosting the Commonwealth Games 50 years prior in 1982!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/brisbane-officially-announced-as-host-of-2032-olympics/news-story/daf7ba17f789c1f1dfd6b73759dd1a14

In some of the other results to fall today, in the third Softball match Canada defeated Mexico 4-0.

While in the womens soccer;

Great Britain defeated Chile 2-0

Brazil defeated China 5-0

& Sweden defeated USA 3-0.

• Like 1