Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 16 vs GWS

Demonland

I Honestly think there may be no change... and i would be fine with that, and if its BB in then ok with that as well. 

Brown looked better, more mobile, but maybe another week, come in choc full of confidence. Jonesy looked really good but again, i think he is a last resort, in fact they all looked good against the Dons.

Kozzie has trailed off and its natural, i think he is a bit confused about what his role is, he needs to stay closer to goal i think, he needs a bit of goal confidence, ANB had had a good year, was hardly sighted on Saturday night, but along with Sparrow was our top tackler. 

We defended so hard that our fwd 50 structure was a bit off,  both got up way to high, but i think its worth another go at that set up. 

Its a big game, another match we have to bank, because of our hard run home and the Dogs easy next 5 weeks. 

• Like 4

Defenders- no change.

Midfield - No change to the core players from last week. Oliver, Pteracca, Viney, Langdon, Brayshaw, Harmes and Jordon. Sparrow might be unlucky.

Main discussion will concern the forwards.

Ben Brown will come in. He must. we just need a second tall down there as a target and to ensure a bit more freedom for Fristch. So Tmac, Brown and Fristch are there [censored] far as I am concerned. Spargo a must as he exerts good pressure, tackles well and delivers the ball well. ANB applies a lot of pressure and provokes trurnovers in the opposition. Not going to be popular for this but I would seriously look at Kossie have a run with Casey next week.

So... in Brown, out Kossie or Sparrow

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CHF said:

Defenders- no change.

Midfield - No change to the core players from last week. Oliver, Pteracca, Viney, Langdon, Brayshaw, Harmes and Jordon. Sparrow might be unlucky.

Main discussion will concern the forwards.

Ben Brown will come in. He must. we just need a second tall down there as a target and to ensure a bit more freedom for Fristch. So Tmac, Brown and Fristch are there [censored] far as I am concerned. Spargo a must as he exerts good pressure, tackles well and delivers the ball well. ANB applies a lot of pressure and provokes trurnovers in the opposition. Not going to be popular for this but I would seriously look at Kossie have a run with Casey next week.

So... in Brown, out Kossie or Sparrow

re sparrow:

he only had 50% time on ground......yet got 11 disposals, 5 tackles and of course that excellent 50m timely goal

you couldn't drop him on that performance

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

ANB is a player that will keep coming up in conversation because to the naked eye he doesn't do much in games. But he is one of the most important role players in our team, and I bet one of the first names on the board every week. He does a lot of things that are hard to see at the ground, and even harder to see on TV as the camera focuses solely on the action. 

Completely agree

Our game plan relies on plenty of ground coverage and pressure. He does this as well as anyone

• Like 1

From Alan Richardson. 

Take a look below as Richardson reviews some of Casey’s best contributors:

Ben Brown

14 disposals, 8 marks, 5 goals

“We really liked Ben Brown’s game, and it’s not just about the scoring – we were pleased that he was able to get some reward with five goals, but he moved really well. He’s been building his game, his training has been positive and we’ve been expecting that form to transfer to game day and it did on the weekend. If it is that we were to make a change to a winning team, he’s done everything right.”

Nathan Jones

36 disposals, 11 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

“Nathan Jones has had a really strong period of playing good footy for about a month. He did get a lot of the ball, but we were really happy with the way he played his role and really pleased with the way he executed. He’s always been a beautiful user of the footy and the weekend was no exception. His leadership in the VFL has been really impressive – it hasn’t been about him, it’s been about the team.”

Sam Weideman

21 disposals, 11 marks, 10 hit-outs, 1 goal, 3 behinds

“Sam Weideman had an impressive game, but not what you might expect. His role was to play as a high forward and a bit in the ruck. He got a lot of the footy, Weids, and moved really well. He would’ve got a lot of confidence out of having 21 touches – he missed a couple of shots on goal, but we really liked the way he went about his game. He would’ve been disappointed to be out of the team but he did what he needed to do.”

Jake Bowey

26 disposals, 18 kicks, 7 marks, 4 tackles

“Jake Bowey had a really strong game. He’s a really creative half-back and he’s been working really closely with Troy Chaplin on making sure he has a real clarity on what he needs to do from a defensive point of view. It’s not just about beating his man but helping others and for obvious reasons, he’s a first-year player, it’s been a work in progress. But that’s starting to come together and he’s starting to put pressure on there. If it is that we were to get someone injured, we’re starting to get really comfortable with where he’s at that he could come in and play that role.”

Aaron vandenBerg

28 disposals, 8 clearances, 7 marks, 6 tackles

“Aaron vandenBerg is playing good footy. He’s hitting in hard – we expect that. He’s running well, he’s helping others, he’s a bit like an on-field coach the way he supports and directs. He’s done a lot of work with Fraser Rosman who plays on the wing – Rosman is really improving. So Vanders has done well there, but his own form is heading the right way. We’d feel pretty comfortable, now that he’s been able to get a bit of continuity in his training and his games, because that’s been his challenge really. We have always said that he makes us a better team, we’ve just been worried about him being able to string training sessions together to be a really consistent performer, and he’s getting there now.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

re sparrow:

he only had 50% time on ground......yet got 11 disposals, 5 tackles and of course that excellent 50m timely goal

That is why I said 'unlucky'. I like the way the kid plays and is developing.

Brown’s first half was awful, his second half was much better.

I think he needs at least 1 more against better VFL opposition to find match fitness.

Then if he comes in he stays in for a good stretch.

Everyone else is waiting for more of an opportunity than players having 1 or 2 down games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Brown’s first half was awful, his second half was much better.

I think he needs at least 1 more against better VFL opposition to find match fitness.

Then if he comes in he stays in for a good stretch.

Everyone else is waiting for more of an opportunity than players having 1 or 2 down games.

Yeah DeeS. I can see that argument but the forward structure was so non-existent last week I think wwe need to make some change to see if we can get at least a couple more goals out of that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Completely agree

Our game plan relies on plenty of ground coverage and pressure. He does this as well as anyone

He repeatedly does this as well as anyone - up, down and around the ground, picking up a goal or two along the way. 

The pressure for spots can only be great for the team ... apart from the 13 or 14 that are guaranteed selection along with the 4 or 5 that are playing too well to be dislodged,  the last 3-5 picked will be playing as if their lives depend on it

The large majority, if not every player, are contributing in a worthwhile manner

But the MC could replace 3 or 4 current players (if their form dropped away) with 3 or 4 others over the next 4-5 weeks and the team wouldn't necessarily be worse off

There are 8 more games to go in the season proper and in that time players can lose form or get injured.  Right now,  spots are really scarce in the seniors but that can change

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

re sparrow:

Logically you are correct dc. However, if they are going to give BBB a run then I cannot see an alternative to Sparrow. I guess the only consolation is that he is an up and comer and will get plenty of opportunities in the future.

It is an interesting selection conundrum. If we think that a big forward is a September requirement, then BBB has to be given a chance to settle in and find some form.

Thursday night will tell us a lot I reckon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is not a change of personnel but rather a thought towards change of tactic. 

Is there any logic in getting on the front foot and sending Harmes to DeBoer to stop the usual tag of Oliver. Tag the tagger out the game. I feel Harmes could negate him and win on the offensive side. 

Thoughts ?

11 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Logically you are correct dc. However, if they are going to give BBB a run then I cannot see an alternative to Sparrow. I guess the only consolation is that he is an up and comer and will get plenty of opportunities in the future.

It is an interesting selection conundrum. If we think that a big forward is a September requirement, then BBB has to be given a chance to settle in and find some form.

Thursday night will tell us a lot I reckon!

Eloquently put uncle

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

The weather looks poor on Saturday. Definitely not time for a tall in for a small out.  Could well be no change.

There is also plenty of merrit here.  If that is the case i would be bringing Chunk in for Sparrow.  He's ready to fly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pollyanna said:

The weather looks poor on Saturday. Definitely not time for a tall in for a small out.  Could well be no change.

I think that fact is a big consideration - having watched the VFL game I would be looking at Chunk, AVB or maybe Melksham as possible inclusions - BBB may not be suited to a cold wet Melbourne afternoon. I'm not his greatest fan and happy to admit that but playing him may set him up for failure if conditions are not good

19 hours ago, chook fowler said:

and i suspect GWS don't like getting physical and are easily intimidated.

No side with Green, Ward, Hopper, Davis, Greene, Reid and Mummy will be intimidated. They are a hard nose side, their weakness last week was their lack of run with Whitfield the exception 

• Like 4

I know there is a push for Ben Brown to come in, but I think the best solution to bolster our forward line is to play Petracca as a forward 65/35. I think he should continue to attend centre bounces and drift forward like Martin and Stringer.

He is the best forward out of the midfield group and seems to have fixed his goal kicking woes.

While this will weaken our midfield to some extent, I feel we have good cover in the guts with Oliver, Harmes, Viney, Jordon and Sparrow strong enough to win clearances.

I'm thinking we give Pickett another week off and then bring him back fresh for the Port game. He looked really tired against the Bombers and we want him cherry ripe come September.

In: Ben Brown & Bedford

Out: Sparrow (stiff) & Pickett

• Love 1

Think the weekend showed we have to have a stat home fwd,  weid hasn't kicked goals when in the side but at least you know if you kick it in his area he won't allow an intercept mark.  BB is the same.

To Many times we kicked to Spargo/ANB/Kossie v a taller opponent or ever 2 opponents.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

I'm thinking we give Pickett another week off and then bring him back fresh for the Port game. He looked really tired against the Bombers and we want him cherry ripe come September.

In: Ben Brown & Bedford

Out: Sparrow (stiff) & Pickett

I don't think Bedford's 5 or 6 disposals warrants AFL promotion. He was barely sighted 

No small fwd for Casey based on the weekend would warrant selection. 

Jones, Melk and Bowey are the only running players that deserve promotion, and based on needs, it could be Melk then Jones. 

18 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

From Alan Richardson. 

Take a look below as Richardson reviews some of Casey’s best contributors:

Ben Brown

14 disposals, 8 marks, 5 goals

“We really liked Ben Brown’s game, and it’s not just about the scoring – we were pleased that he was able to get some reward with five goals, but he moved really well. He’s been building his game, his training has been positive and we’ve been expecting that form to transfer to game day and it did on the weekend. If it is that we were to make a change to a winning team, he’s done everything right.”

Nathan Jones

36 disposals, 11 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

“Nathan Jones has had a really strong period of playing good footy for about a month. He did get a lot of the ball, but we were really happy with the way he played his role and really pleased with the way he executed. He’s always been a beautiful user of the footy and the weekend was no exception. His leadership in the VFL has been really impressive – it hasn’t been about him, it’s been about the team.”

Sam Weideman

21 disposals, 11 marks, 10 hit-outs, 1 goal, 3 behinds

“Sam Weideman had an impressive game, but not what you might expect. His role was to play as a high forward and a bit in the ruck. He got a lot of the footy, Weids, and moved really well. He would’ve got a lot of confidence out of having 21 touches – he missed a couple of shots on goal, but we really liked the way he went about his game. He would’ve been disappointed to be out of the team but he did what he needed to do.”

Jake Bowey

26 disposals, 18 kicks, 7 marks, 4 tackles

“Jake Bowey had a really strong game. He’s a really creative half-back and he’s been working really closely with Troy Chaplin on making sure he has a real clarity on what he needs to do from a defensive point of view. It’s not just about beating his man but helping others and for obvious reasons, he’s a first-year player, it’s been a work in progress. But that’s starting to come together and he’s starting to put pressure on there. If it is that we were to get someone injured, we’re starting to get really comfortable with where he’s at that he could come in and play that role.”

Aaron vandenBerg

28 disposals, 8 clearances, 7 marks, 6 tackles

“Aaron vandenBerg is playing good footy. He’s hitting in hard – we expect that. He’s running well, he’s helping others, he’s a bit like an on-field coach the way he supports and directs. He’s done a lot of work with Fraser Rosman who plays on the wing – Rosman is really improving. So Vanders has done well there, but his own form is heading the right way. We’d feel pretty comfortable, now that he’s been able to get a bit of continuity in his training and his games, because that’s been his challenge really. We have always said that he makes us a better team, we’ve just been worried about him being able to string training sessions together to be a really consistent performer, and he’s getting there now.”

Any chance you could enlarge that font a tad pls Dazzle and help this Ol' fella out

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

I know there is a push for Ben Brown to come in, but I think the best solution to bolster our forward line is to play Petracca as a forward 65/35. I think he should continue to attend centre bounces and drift forward like Martin and Stringer.

He is the best forward out of the midfield group and seems to have fixed his goal kicking woes.

While this will weaken our midfield to some extent, I feel we have good cover in the guts with Oliver, Harmes, Viney, Jordon and Sparrow strong enough to win clearances.

Once Viney gets back to decent match fitness i would agree with that FT albeit it might be a week to week proposition and the percentages up for debate.

I don't think Tracc pushing forward and BB possibly coming in are mutually exclusive though.  No reason why we couldn't do both.

The only issue with BB coming in is who do you leave out?  Some are suggesting Sparrow.  Again, with Viney back in the mix, that sort of change might be in the discussions at the selection table this week.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I think selection is easy this week.

In - Ben Brown

Out - Sparrow (who I was surprised wasn't dropped after QBday, but played much better Vs Essendon)

The one game that BBB has played well in was against Sydney where we had the T Mac, BBB, Fritta and Jackson combo. That's the combo that we will go for this week should BBB be selected.

Against Carlton he had Weid, T Mac, Fritta and resting ruck. Clearly it didn't work for him.

Against North T Mac had to move to defence so it was a Fritta and BBB combo and he was quiet that day.

Pickett's had 2 tackles and 0 goals in the last 2 weeks. He might be due a rest if he can't lift his output this weekend.