• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm      

• PREMIERSHIP Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm      

Nathan Buckley Steps Down as Collingwood Coach

roy11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

any player who never walked out of the club after a single year that drafted them with pick 1

The story goes something like Buckley wanted to play for a club capable of winning premierships. He apparently told that to North who were desperately keen to get him whilst still at Brisbane. He missed out on two at North as well as  the three he missed out if he stayed with Brisbane. Who knows perhaps even more. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-2021-nathan-buckley-collingwood-coach-lost-the-players-at-magpies-harder-to-connect-player-unrest-latest-news/news-story/7568a6023e350148cedbdfd09fa85791

Also got to wonder what happened since monday, when Buckley was still openly stating his interest in continuing and was "...still as energized to get into the club and to embrace the next challenge, so we’ve got Melbourne on Monday, in a week’s time, they’re in some great form. I’m looking forward to this week of preparation to see what we can do against them."

1 minute ago, Little Goffy said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-2021-nathan-buckley-collingwood-coach-lost-the-players-at-magpies-harder-to-connect-player-unrest-latest-news/news-story/7568a6023e350148cedbdfd09fa85791

Also got to wonder what happened since monday, when Buckley was still openly stating his interest in continuing and was "...still as energized to get into the club and to embrace the next challenge, so we’ve got Melbourne on Monday, in a week’s time, they’re in some great form. I’m looking forward to this week of preparation to see what we can do against them."

Carlton announced a review. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Little Goffy said:

Also got to wonder what happened since monday, when Buckley was still openly stating his interest in continuing ...

Carlton pulled the trigger and the Pies went into panic mode. "They're going to try to poach OUR coach from right under our noses! Well, Hawthorn's ... but it's the principle of the thing!"

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Could this day get any better? Pies and Blues tearing themselves apart. 

Could it get any better? Over to you Essington.

I was just thinking that very same thing! What an awesome time to be a Dees diehard: 11 -1 on top of the ladder and both Collingwood and Carlton in all sorts. All’s we need now is for Essendon to suffer another drugs saga-esque type disaster and the dream would be complete. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

It may have been Buck's decision made under the uncertainty veil of the Covid calamity DD.  Not knowing exactly when there might be a home game exactly and just wanting a clean fast break seeing the writing on the wall?

Also if they are looking to sign up a new suitor or about to and get in before someone else does then the board might have felt they had to move sooner rather than  later.

I don't mind listening to Buckley speak and have felt he'd be great in the media for years.
The points you've made are quite valid regarding covid and the uncertainty of scheduling.
Why would you wanna go through all that BS, work 11 and half months of the year and get grilled by the media parasites twice a week when you can kick back for 6mths of the year and do special comments for 2hrs twice a week for the other 6mths.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

The Age is quoting some as saying no one deserves a flag more

I’ll go first

robert flower

nathan jones

Add below 

Jimmy Stynes ?

6 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

I don't mind listening to Buckley speak and have felt he'd be great in the media for years.
The points you've made are quite valid regarding covid and the uncertainty of scheduling.
Why would you wanna go through all that BS, work 11 and half months of the year and get grilled by the media parasites twice a week when you can kick back for 6mths of the year and do special comments for 2hrs twice a week for the other 6mths.

He did a year (or 2?) in the media after finishing as a player and was excellent. That's what I expect he'll be doing next year. I also believe he won't be lost to football and in good time will pick up another significant position such as Football Manager or some development role at AFL HQ. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lace Out said:

Can't see them going for an untried coach. Too much pressure comes with Collingwood and they're in a world of pain given their off season. They'll need to spin this as a positive and only someone of the caliber of Clarkson or Longmire etc would keep the members happy.

Hopefully Mark Neeld will get the job., He fits all the necessary criteria. as far as I am concerned.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Clarkson makes sense.  Especially with Wright in charge at Collingwood.  Buckley is astute enough to to see the writing on the wall.  My guess is the unrest at Collingwood is nothing compared to dealing with Jeff Kennett every day!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

I resent that!

Apologies. Perhaps should have read...Roger from Snow complications vis a vis Buller, Falls, Perisher and Thredbo. 

Not forgetting Simon, Drew, Chris and Blair. 

No trip to the snow this weekend but reckon a few tinnies and gluhwein in front of the fire will be in order, not forgetting some other home comforts. And no problemos with spreading the virus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Reckon Clarkson is the unknown factor here. Hawthorn's list is garbage and Kennett is a loose canon. He may feel it is easier to rebuild the Pies than the Hawks...

The Pies management will fall over themselves to do whatever Clarko wants. But if you're Clarko, and you look at the Pies list (and cap), and then at the Blues list ... do the Pies then look so attractive?

1 hour ago, Mydee said:

Hopefully Mark Neeld will get the job., He fits all the necessary criteria. as far as I am concerned.

Yes, they won't even have to adjust their game plan.

Down the line all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I was just thinking that very same thing! What an awesome time to be a Dees diehard: 11 -1 on top of the ladder and both Collingwood and Carlton in all sorts. All’s we need now is for Essendon to suffer another drugs saga-esque type disaster and the dream would be complete. 

I'd like to see a Hawthron crisis as well. Perhaps one of carlton or Collingwood poach Mitchell? The Hawks fanatics would lose their minds. that would be hilarious to watch.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

The Pies management will fall over themselves to do whatever Clarko wants. But if you're Clarko, and you look at the Pies list (and cap), and then at the Blues list ... do the Pies then look so attractive?

Yep, good point. Carlton's list is probably better, especially if they can get Charlie Curnow up and firing.

• Like 2

I understand Clarko being in the conversation but it just seems like a strange move to go fro one club where you’re 2 years into your own rebuild to go to a club where you’d be at the very start of the clean out/rebuild. I’m sure the pies would throw the $$$ at him but for Clarko, does he need that in his life?

I genuinely think Yze should be a front runner, I’ll be absolutely gutted if he goes though. He has the pedigree though having done his apprenticeship under Clarko and would be hungry for it. 

By the by, any senior pies players that we might look at if they’re keen to be in a premiership window?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pates said:

I understand Clarko being in the conversation but it just seems like a strange move to go fro one club where you’re 2 years into your own rebuild to go to a club where you’d be at the very start of the clean out/rebuild. I’m sure the pies would throw the $$$ at him but for Clarko, does he need that in his life?

I genuinely think Yze should be a front runner, I’ll be absolutely gutted if he goes though. He has the pedigree though having done his apprenticeship under Clarko and would be hungry for it. 

By the by, any senior pies players that we might look at if they’re keen to be in a premiership window?

I think Yze would make a fantastic senior coach and is ready for the job, however i suspect Collingwood, given the unrest in the membership caused by the board situation would be silly not to go for a more sure thing option. honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it was Ross Lyon that got the job. 

I don't think you'd make this decision on Bucks who has a good coaching record if you didn't have a pretty good idea of who you were getting, it'd be strange to try and unknown coach over a pretty safe bet in what you already have, especially at a time when Stability would be helpful. 

I think the Hawks are our biggest threat for Yze, if Clarko leaves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BW511 said:

If the commentary suggesting Clarko was not the man for a rebuild at the Hawks, why would he take on that role at the Pies?

Would be great for the Pies, but not sure it is that clear cut for Clarko?

There is some logic.  Clarko isn't attached to any of the players - he's probably the one coach that can come in and actually help Wright the ship in terms of salary cap (pun intended) by moving players on.  An untried coach puts the list off-side immediately, but a four time premiership coach starts from ground zero otherwise they tread water until they actually really bottom out. 

Steele thanks for your service, but you're on the table.

Both Browns - your dad was a great player at this club - neither of you will be - you're cut

Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood etc - DCM.

Edited by grazman

I think Buckley has gone out with class, but he remains a very wealthy man.  Having given up his job, he is a long way from going hungry.  That said, like a few on here, I am more than a little worried that the Pies will fire up for their game against us, given it's Buck's last game as Coach.

If there is still room for the old fashioned rev up from coaches, I hope our staff remind the players, that this is Neale Daniher's game.  A man who is going through the greatest battle in life, that anyone of us could possibly imagine.  The game has taken on even more gravitas, since Neale began his health battle.  The Big Freeze is a Daniher franchise, but as a life member of the MFC, Neale has decided, along with his family, to make this game the marquee for his cause. 

Buckley will be fine, but as Neale's mortality ebbs away, we owe him big time.  So, the motivation on Monday should be all about Neale, not about Buckley's departure from a club that has been moribund for some time - and we all know how that feels.

Let this footy club get it done for the Reverend.  Go you mighty Demons.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

I just love the ongoing sense of crisis at the pies and do not think they have the experience or fitness to win on Monday no matter the circumstances. 

I do think that this unfolding in the week before the QB game will really focus our minds on the job at hand. We will expect them to be 'up' for the game as a send off to Buckley and will prepare for it. We also have the added incentive of this being a game in support of Neale.

I just hope they go for the unemployed twin a coach.

Edited by CHF
added the 'e' to Neale's name